Apple trying 'very hard' with $250K bonuses to nab Tesla engineers as van sightings proliferate

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Who needs a car to go that fast?  No one.  The Tesla cost $100k the leaf cost under $30k.  No ones calling Nissan visionary.  

Its just wall street manipulators pumping the stock up using the false idol Elon.  No one knew about Elon until Wall Street got involved.

What about the BMW i3? The car is made of frickin' carbon fiber reinforced plastic. Not just body panels like so many other cars, but the primary structure.

What I hate most about the Model S is you pay a premium luxury price for it and the interior and options are no better than many $30K cars. You're paying a hell of a lot for the electric drivetrain.

• Reply 62 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Tesla is getting into the battery business. 

Tesla is partnering with Panasonic. Tesla is a lightweight for battery technology compared to the numerous companies working on batteries. And when batteries make the next leap do you think those companies are going to limit their potential market to a single, niche auto manufacturer? They'll sell to whoever wants them. And with the buying power of companies like GM or Toyota, Tesla won;t stand a chance of procuring enough batteries for their own vehicles. Hence making a battery factory with Panasonic.

• Reply 63 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

What Nissan electric car can go from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds?

People used to make fun of American cars saying they can only go fast in a straight line. Now that Tesla has made the electric equivalent of a straight-line car, people are praising it?

The rest of the Model S performance is average at best. You can't get around physics. A nearly 5,000lb car is not going to drive as good, handle as good or brake as good as a lighter car. Which is why Tesla ONLY does these stupid straight line 0-60 and 1/4 mile tests. No lane change emergency tests, no braking tests, and DEFINITELY no track performance tests since the electric drivetrain will overheat and go into limp mode after only a few minutes on the track.

• Reply 64 of 99
    Tesla is partnering with Panasonic.

Also known as getting into the battery business.
    sog35 wrote: »
    agree.  Model S has become the ultimate yuppie car

Sounds like an Apple product. This is a flawed market position somehow? They're outselling the Leaf now, at 4x the price.
  • Reply 65 of 99
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"2. Why didn't Apple start this initiative 3 years ago?"

Who says they didn't? "Noticed" isn't the same.

• Reply 66 of 99
    ATTENTION!!! Apple will not duplicate street view. They most certainly are gathering depth as they have the technology to have a completely 3D view by combining this data with the flyover data that already exists...when has Apple played catchup to where everyone else is at...they play catchup and do it right and put the competition 10 years behind where they are at...it is who they are.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    What about the BMW i3? The car is made of frickin' carbon fiber reinforced plastic. Not just body panels like so many other cars, but the primary structure.

What I hate most about the Model S is you pay a premium luxury price for it and the interior and options are no better than many $30K cars. You're paying a hell of a lot for the electric drivetrain.

However, I understand the i3 is one of the worst handling cars out there.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    Quote:

Also known as getting into the battery business.

That's like saying Samsung is in the processor business because they fabricate Apple A-Series processors when the real smarts lie with Apple (who designs the processors) rather than Samsung (who just builds following the plans).

In this case, Panasonic is Apple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

However, I understand the i3 is one of the worst handling cars out there.

Compared to what? If you drive one you'd be surprised. It drives nothing like what it looks like and handles far better than you'd expect. If you're comparing it to a BMW sedan then you could say the handling is worse, but it's all relative.

Besides, I'm not talking about the handling or other aspects of the car, but the major significance of BMW being able to start mass production of a previously ridiculously expensive and complex process (making a body structure out of something other than steel or aluminum).

That's more significant news than somebody cramming a battery, electric motor and high frequency drive into a vehicle. Anyone and their dog in the automotive world can do that.

• Reply 69 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

That's like saying Samsung is in the processor business because they fabricate Apple A-Series processors when the real smarts lie with Apple (who designs the processors) rather than Samsung (who just builds following the plans).

In this case, Panasonic is Apple.

Panasonic and Tesla are in an agreement to build a factory that builds batteries. They are cooperating, and both of them will be owning a battery business.

Samsung won a contract with Apple, and is hired by Apple, just like the idiot who decided to call retail employees "geniuses."

Quote:

That's more significant news than somebody cramming a battery, electric motor and high frequency drive into a vehicle. Anyone and their dog in the automotive world can do that.

Yeah, because there are so many 690HP seven-passenger AWD sedans out on the road boasting 63 cubic feet of storage. Just like all the other cars with NHTSA and NCAP five-star safety ratings. The car is impressive without the all-electric bullet point.

Tesla is providing services as well. Remember that there are SuperCharger stations beginning to connect the nation. What dude and his dog in the automotive world has planned/provided such infrastructure for the Leaf?

You can decide not to buy one, and not to be impressed all you want, but Tesla has done a lot in the last three years. There is no model of car over $70K that I see on the road more than the Model S. It's easily the most desired mainstream American car.

• Reply 70 of 99
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    palomine wrote: »
    You guys LAUGHED at me when I posted a couple years ago that I thought Apple was making a car! :D

Still laughing.
    they HAD a great relationship.  I have a feeling Elon found out Apple is making their own car.

Laughing at this too.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    Quote:

Yeah, because there are so many 690HP seven-passenger AWD sedans out on the road boasting 63 cubic feet of storage. Just like all the other cars with NHTSA and NCAP five-star safety ratings. The car is impressive without the all-electric bullet point.

Tesla is providing services as well. Remember that there are SuperCharger stations beginning to connect the nation. What dude and his dog in the automotive world has planned/provided such infrastructure for the Leaf?

You can decide not to buy one, and not to be impressed all you want, but Tesla has done a lot in the last three years. There is no model of car over $70K that I see on the road more than the Model S. It's easily the most desired mainstream American car.

Tesla Model S is a complete joke compared to other luxury sedans in the same price point. What do competitors have that it lacks? Let me list a few off the top of my head:

- Active cruise control using radar to measure the distance to vehicles in front of you and keep a preset distance.

- Heads up display to show relevant information on the windscreen to reduce the need to look away from the road.

- 4 zone climate control (seriously, this is a BIG exclusion on a car this expensive).

- Lane departure warning that can tell if you're drifting out of your lane and vibrate your steering wheel with haptic feedback to warn you.

- Lane change warning - similar to above, uses radar sensors to see if someone is next to you and warns you if you either start changing lanes or turn on your signal to change lanes.

- Front cameras to monitor road signs and detect the speed limits for you, display them on your heads up display and also provide warnings if you exceed the speed limit.

- Infrared night vision camera that can spot people or animals and warn you on your heads up display.

- Adaptive headlights that upon detecting a pedestrian on the right side of the road at night (using the above infrared camera) will literally turn the right headlight and shine it directly on the pedestrian to make them more visible.

- 360 degree all-round vision camera to see everything around your vehicle (instead of a rear-only camera).

- A smog/exhaust sensor in the air intake that will switch your system to recirculate when you drive behind a particularly smelly vehicle so your interior cabin doesn't fill with fumes.

Shall I go on?

You clearly have NEVER driven in any high-end cars if you think a Tesla is somehow impressive. Like I said, it's a $30K car with an electric powertrain and a sky-high price to match.

• Reply 72 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarleyChil View Post

Apple has begun to make their move. The target would seem to build a similar Google driverless EV. Apple realizes the up coming opportunity upcoming with autonomous vehicle. There are a lot of concerns that I personally have question about Apple and other Corporation using off shore finances and maneuver and where that leaves the American people.

**********"The Revolution will not be televised", but it will be Electrified.************

Billions possibly trillions of dollars are up for grabs at the cost of millions of jobs. The rich getting richer then fleeing the country. The writing is on the wall but all most Americans are focused on is their piece of the pie. WAKE UP AMERICA your corporations, politicians and leader are taking you for idiots.

Interestining how your 1st post is to comment on Apple's practice of having the actual HQ based in Ireland. You seem to imply that Apple is the cause of millions of lost jobs in the US and that trillions of dollars are up for grab (whatever that means). Then there is some group of rich folx getting richer and fleeing the country.

WTF? You must be one heck of a contortionist to be able to reach that deep and pull that pile of stink out of you. I would truly be shocked to see you back any of those figures up with a credible source.

Apple setup HQ in Ireland to take advantage of keeping the funds earned there out of the hands of the taxman in the US. They then spend money overseas to manufacture the products they build in places like Ireland (you did know that part of that deal with Ireland was to have a major manufacturing facility in Ireland) and even sell some portion of what they manufacture to the Irish and other european countries as well as asian, african, etc…. Are you one of those that will drive by gas stations selling fuel $0.25/gal less so that you can make sure that the US et al will get more tax money and make sure that the guys inside get to keep the minimum wage job that won't even feed and shelter him without having many roomies stuck in the same situation.

I for one pay my taxes and I would say that the heritage that we have built on in this country is that with a good idea and lots of hard work you have the chance of making it big. You also have the right to fail and not be sent to debtors prision (as long as you weren't scaming anyone).

BTW -- from your grammar and word choice I would guess you are not from the US? Care to share where you are from? Its OK if you don't want to say cause we are open to all -- even people with some strange ideas.

• Reply 73 of 99
    Quote:

Tesla Model S is a complete joke compared to other luxury sedans in the same price point. What do competitors have that it lacks? Let me list a few off the top of my head:

- Active cruise control using radar to measure the distance to vehicles in front of you and keep a preset distance.

- Heads up display to show relevant information on the windscreen to reduce the need to look away from the road.

- 4 zone climate control (seriously, this is a BIG exclusion on a car this expensive).

- Lane departure warning that can tell if you're drifting out of your lane and vibrate your steering wheel with haptic feedback to warn you.

- Lane change warning - similar to above, uses radar sensors to see if someone is next to you and warns you if you either start changing lanes or turn on your signal to change lanes.

- Front cameras to monitor road signs and detect the speed limits for you, display them on your heads up display and also provide warnings if you exceed the speed limit.

- Infrared night vision camera that can spot people or animals and warn you on your heads up display.

- Adaptive headlights that upon detecting a pedestrian on the right side of the road at night (using the above infrared camera) will literally turn the right headlight and shine it directly on the pedestrian to make them more visible.

- 360 degree all-round vision camera to see everything around your vehicle (instead of a rear-only camera).

- A smog/exhaust sensor in the air intake that will switch your system to recirculate when you drive behind a particularly smelly vehicle so your interior cabin doesn't fill with fumes.

Shall I go on?

You clearly have NEVER driven in any high-end cars if you think a Tesla is somehow impressive. Like I said, it's a $30K car with an electric powertrain and a sky-high price to match.

Those missing features do put much of the car in the $30K territory. Tesla/Elon have not hidden the fact that they went expensive to limit losses on R&D that would be used to bring less expensive cars to the market. They're essentially admitting that it's overpriced.

The thing is that most of the Tesla drivers I know (of nine) came from $30K cars. These are people who would never test drive a 7-Series or an A8 for the same money. The model S creates its own market segment - I've got friends with some accumulated wealth who are always pretty frugal, but like nice things. These are middle-management types with ~$250K household incomes. There's a 4-year-old Accord in the garage with a $7K TT bike, $3K CX bike, and a $6K road bike, and probably $10K worth of bike wheels and power meters. Now there's a Model S in place of the Accord. They see a cool, fast car that they can easily put two bikes inside (with wheels on), while dabbling in the all-electric auto lifestyle.

You can argue about the merit of lots of things that people buy, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy a Tesla. I just bought an Acura and didn't consider a Tesla for a second. I'm just saying that it's a significant car in the market, and I'm saying this to justify the fact that good engineers want to work here, and in turn, it's reasonable to think that Apple would be recruiting these engineers.

• Reply 74 of 99
    dup.

• Reply 75 of 99
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

A guy from Ireland defending a user named Ireland.  Very fishy.

I never owned Tesla stock.  Its a POS ponzi scheme stock just like Amazon.

I am mad that a company that is a small POS like Tesla tries to piss on the cape of Apple.  yes that does make me mad.  I have about 1000 shares of Apple, so yes I do get 'raged' when some little POS company tries to make a name for itself by pissing on Apple.

OK, I confess, It's a conspiracy.  We were planning on taking over the world but you rumbled us.

• Reply 76 of 99

I love how the trolls stick up for each other, as if they are somehow victims being forced to come on here and downplay Apple, promote/defend google, or whatever their agenda may be.

Anyway, in this rare case I agree with waterrockets. I'm one of those that isn't interested in luxury cars, and don't consider myself a 'car person,' but I'm going to strongly consider getting a Tesla in the next couple years.

As a side note, I wish Apple and Elon would get along. If I had to guess, I'd say the point of tension is that Apple is very pragmatic and patient, whereas Elon wants to push things forward as fast as possible despite the risks/inefficiency. I think both serve a useful, but different purpose, but also that they could both be more effective if they worked together on more things (batteries, cars, solar panels, etc.). Who knows, maybe one day we'll see a CarPlay-enabled solar-powered electric car with rocket boosters!

• Reply 77 of 99
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Replace "visionary" with "rock star" and your post makes sense.

Someone who sees mankind living on mars and shifting to sustainable energy, and then actually tries to make it happen. How can that not be a visionary?

• Reply 78 of 99

The fact that you do not agree is fine.  The tax advantages allows Apple to have it cake and eat it too.  The same with wealth and business, and politics you pay for what you get.  The advantage of being able to afford the best makes the playing field uneven.  Taxes burdens should not based uneven field.  

Its not like someone with a income $10,000,000 a year pays a penny more for Wonder bread than someone making $100,000 or 10,000 a year.  The difference that by percentage the person making $100,000 will most likely carry the greatest burden.  This unfair to this income earner.  

This is what Apple is doing, by shifting their earning oversea to mitigate their tax burden.  Like capital gains verses earn income it is not illegal.  But it does create a tier tax system of inequality that can restricted others freedoms and liberty while continuing the concentration of wealth.  There are other US corporations that have done this, and even more that will be following this example.  The same happens in shipping manufacturing overseas then shipping products back to sell, or out sourcing, or eliminating full time for part time then cutting wages and benefits.  It all about the bottom line.  Corporation exist for the benefit of the share holders, employees and the community and society they serve.  The benefits do not stop or are greater for share holders or the rich.

Within the next 10 years, starting with the United States millions of jobs will be lost to the continuing growth in automation, robotics and autonomous driverless vehicles.  Consider 70% all driving jobs will be at risk. Every cab, bus, delivery and  alike, job could be loss.  These are the changing time and these things will happen.  However the least or poor will suffer the greatest, while the Apple's, the the Google's, the Uber's  and their share holders are the biggest gainers.  They can ride off into the sunset while their wealth grows.  

At the same time that $100,000 can only work to carry the burden.  So that $100,000 doesn't even earn him a middle class life and the cycle continues to favor those able to pay for it.  The death of Americas middle class.  Who will now carry the burden?  Rather than become part of the solution now, the countries wealth will flee and yes APPLE is leading and I am sure you don't want to miss that boat? 

No, I am American.

• Reply 79 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Religious fervor?  I think that's an obsolete term.  Seeing that 80% of the world don't really care about religion.  And most use religion as an excuse to do some evil stuff.  Like those ISIS.  They just use religion as an excuse to carry out their sick and peverted thoughts.  Just like the crusades, just like the Nazi Pope, ect.

No man.  People get crazy for money, power, and sax

I know, it was a joke. But hey I love a good sax too.
  • Reply 80 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    cnocbui wrote: »

OK, I confess, It's a conspiracy.  We were planning on taking over the world but you rumbled us.

Better start with Japan ... makers of the best whisky award 2014! WTF is that about?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/best-whisky-in-the-world-prize-won-by-japanese-malt-for-first-time-as-scottish-distilleries-lose-out-9835583.html

p.s. Being part Irish, I tried it, pretty good! :(