Apple touts iPad as music creation tool in new ad featuring Elliphant

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2015
Apple dropped a new iPad TV spot featuring music creation apps just in time for the Grammy Awards, featuring Swedish recording artist Elliphant, UK producer Riton, DJ The Gaslamp Killer and Parisian film director So Me.

iPad ad Changes Elliphant


The new spot portrays Elliphant writing her song "All or Nothing" with the help of an iPad, and depicts Apple's tablet playing a role in recording, production, live performance and documentation, using the bundled GarageBand app along with third party titles including iMPC Pro, NanoStudio, Serato Remote and Manual Camera, all of which cost less than $15.



The ad reflect Apple's culturally aware Beats acquisition that has so deftly and competently targeted the youth demographic with a savvy understanding of the Los Angeles music scene. The tagline of the ad is "everything changes with iPad," and directs attention to a new iPad "apple.com/change" website.

Apple's iPad has been under relentless attack from tech media pundits for not eclipsing previous sales records set in the year before Apple had its large screen iPhone 6 on sale, despite the fact that the company continues to sell virtually every profitable tablet on the market in a climate where cheap hardware producers are dumping vast numbers of loss leader (albeit defective) Android tablets for as little as $50.

Google, Microsoft and Apple.

Revenues by Revenue Source. pic.twitter.com/6zdGeNj3TF

-- Horace Dediu (@asymco)


Asymco's Horace Dediu just tweeted (above) charts comparing the revenues of Apple, Google and Microsoft that highlight the fact that iPad regularly contributes revenues higher than Apple's Mac sales, which are in turn higher than Microsoft's Windows and Windows Live business.

Google doesn't report its mobile revenues or profits separately because virtually all of its revenues are tied to desktop PC ads. Samsung, the second largest tablet producer after Apple, also refrains from detailing its unit shipments or revenue related to tablets for similar reasons. Apple is the only significant company in the world that reports its revenues and unit numbers atrributable to tablet sales.

In the most recent December quarter, Apple reported sales of 21.4 million iPads generating $8.985 billion in revenue, noting "particularly strong growth in Greater China where net sales increased 70% year-over-year" and a year-over-year Average Selling Price decline of just 5 percent despite generally being priced significantly higher than competing tablet from other vendors.

Apple's Mac business in the same quarter sold 5.5M computers and generated $6.9B in revenue.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,706member

    Another positive article about Apple by Mr. Dilger? Yet another puff piece? Let the sniping begin. The iPad is actually an epic fail by Apple since its sales are slipping, right? The fact that, as this article points out, the iPad sells more than Macs, sells more than any other tablet (because Google and Samsung refuse to report sales for obvious reasons) is irrelevant. It’s the epic fail that isn’t being reported here. Therefore Dilger is to be denigrated and made fun of.

  • Reply 2 of 52
    Apple needs to fix the audio distortion issues asap!!

    Buffering problems, crashing apps, etc. with the heftier apps Such as Animoog, Alchemy (RIP), Audiobus, etc.

    Synths that worked great in iOS 7 are now sputtery, distorted mess since iOS 8 was released.

    Nevertheless, it's great that Apple realizes that music production is a VERY big market for iPads.

    F
  • Reply 3 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow so Apple is featuring stickers on the iPad now?
  • Reply 4 of 52
    rogifan wrote: »
    Wow so Apple is featuring stickers on the iPad now?

    I'm curious to know how Jony feels, obviously he loves design purity, but he also wants his stuff to be loved, and if you're putting a sticker on it, you probably love it.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

     

    ... The iPad is actually an epic fail by Apple since its sales are slipping, right? ...




    Would help sales were people such as I, still using the first generation iPad, to upgrade. I wonder how much though?

  • Reply 6 of 52
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,591member
    The iPad may have plateaued (or not), but it is still the best tool for many jobs. As this and previous ads point out, the iPad is often the only viable tool in the creative arena (in addition to the traditional tools, of course). Any app that requires sliders, faders, or other types of touch input, like brushes, are often best performed on an iPad. The fact that sales are dropping really is an irrelevance in that context. If sales drop so low the iPad becomes endangered it's another story but I don't see that happening for a while yet.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,591member
    I'm curious to know how Jony feels, obviously he loves design purity, but he also wants his stuff to be loved, and if you're putting a sticker on it, you probably love it.
    I imagine Jony finds it cool that people make their devices their own even if it makes him groan once in a while. My daughters' devices are messed up (shakes head), but for them it's important. I'd be a fool to argue.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    paxman wrote: »
    I imagine Jony finds it cool that people make their devices their own even if it makes him groan once in a while. My daughters' devices are messed up (shakes head), but for them it's important. I'd be a fool to argue.

    Probably. I wouldn't put a sticker on my iPad because I use it way too much (I've actually worn the finish smooth on the back) but I do have a sticker on my MBA.

    The only other one I've wanted is simply a black overlay for the Apple logos on the side of the G5/Mac Pro tower case.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    paxman wrote: »
    The iPad may have plateaued (or not), but it is still the best tool for many jobs.

    It's not a bubble, it's a market.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    Wow so Apple is featuring stickers on the iPad now?




    I'm curious to know how Jony feels, obviously he loves design purity, but he also wants his stuff to be loved, and if you're putting a sticker on it, you probably love it.

     

    I'd wager that Jony Ive couldn't give a flying f**k about who puts what sticker on which object.

  • Reply 11 of 52
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    I have a Gen1 iPad. I think I'd like to upgrade to a new one later this year (iPad air 3?)

    To be honest when I first bought it, I was hyped on iBooks and surfing the net but later on it just became a secondary device after I bought a MacBookAir. Main reason was the resolution and screen size differences. If there was somehow a bigger iPad then I would be in the market for that! Was glad to see RAM being increased in the IPad Air 2 so at least I know this is now the bare minimum spec in future iPads.

    I also own an iPhone 6 Plus.. I compared this to an iPad mini and decided that is was a worthwhile decision since everything I do on iOS can be done just as well on iPhone 6 Plus. So I guess that's where some of the cannibalisation is.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    It's not a bubble, it's a market.

    1) How about peaked instead of plateaued?

    2) I could see a 12.x" iPad increasing the revenue, profit, unit sales, and ARP over what we've seen before, but I'm not sure that will happen with the current size options. I personally feel that the iPad will be holding a strong profit maker for Apple for a very long time to come, and not be on the decline we saw with the iPod soon after the iPhone arrived.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,591member
    Probably. I wouldn't put a sticker on my iPad because I use it way too much (I've actually worn the finish smooth on the back) but I do have a sticker on my MBA.

    The only other one I've wanted is simply a black overlay for the Apple logos on the side of the G5/Mac Pro tower case.
    I wouldn't adorn any of my devices with stickers personally but that is not to say I don't approve. I like the Decal Guru decals. Very cool.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

     

    Another positive article about Apple by Mr. Dilger? Yet another puff piece? Let the sniping begin. The iPad is actually an epic fail by Apple since its sales are slipping, right? The fact that, as this article points out, the iPad sells more than Macs, sells more than any other tablet (because Google and Samsung refuse to report sales for obvious reasons) is irrelevant. It’s the epic fail that isn’t being reported here. Therefore Dilger is to be denigrated and made fun of.


     

    The sales are slipping less than the market, especially the top of the market. So, how is it a fail? It still sells 20M a quarter. Most companies wish they had 1/10 that level of success in their failure ;-).

  • Reply 15 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post



    Apple needs to fix the audio distortion issues asap!!



    Buffering problems, crashing apps, etc. with the heftier apps Such as Animoog, Alchemy (RIP), Audiobus, etc.



    Synths that worked great in iOS 7 are now sputtery, distorted mess since iOS 8 was released.



    Nevertheless, it's great that Apple realizes that music production is a VERY big market for iPads.



    F

     

    Isn'T it possible that the apps themselves are the problem?

  • Reply 16 of 52
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Another positive article about Apple by Mr. Dilger? Yet another puff piece? Let the sniping begin. The iPad is actually an epic fail by Apple since its sales are slipping, right? The fact that, as this article points out, the iPad sells more than Macs, sells more than any other tablet (because Google and Samsung refuse to report sales for obvious reasons) is irrelevant. It’s the epic fail that isn’t being reported here. Therefore Dilger is to be denigrated and made fun of.

    I disagree.

    I think the iPad is hugely successful and is the future of computing. I always enjoy Daniel's erudite articles.

    The only puffing I can see is that caused by your huffing.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 712member

    Don't worry, Apple, I'll be upgrading my hot and heavy iPad 3 to an iPad Air 3 later this year. My cycle appears to be every 2-3 years.

  • Reply 18 of 52
    rogifan wrote: »
    Wow so Apple is featuring stickers on the iPad now?

    I'm curious to know how Jony feels, obviously he loves design purity, but he also wants his stuff to be loved, and if you're putting a sticker on it, you probably love it.

    So design purity means you can't love your iPad?

    Got it.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    This is great.

    Now, you can buy a music studio for $15, that allows you to create beautiful masterpieces that, if you're lucky, will make you $15 on Spotify in just your first year!

    What an enticing prospect.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    foggyhill wrote: »
    lkrupp wrote: »
     
    Another positive article about Apple by Mr. Dilger? Yet another puff piece? Let the sniping begin. The iPad is actually an epic fail by Apple since its sales are slipping, right? The fact that, as this article points out, the iPad sells more than Macs, sells more than any other tablet (because Google and Samsung refuse to report sales for obvious reasons) is irrelevant. It’s the epic fail that isn’t being reported here. Therefore Dilger is to be denigrated and made fun of.

    The sales are slipping less than the market, especially the top of the market. So, how is it a fail? It still sells 20M a quarter. Most companies wish they had 1/10 that level of success in their failure ;-).

    If MicroSofty had 1/10 the sales of the iPad they'd have sold twice the number of Surfaces then they did.

    Id Samsung sold 1/10 the sales of the iPad, they still would exaggerate the real number.
Sign In or Register to comment.