Apple reportedly learning how to develop self-driving electric cars

Comments

• Reply 21 of 185
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm convinced it's 2 or 3, leaning towards 3.

Except none of the rumors point to this, they all point to something way beyond the dashboard. You're convinced because it's what makes the most logical sense to you. But how many people thought Apple would be selling an 18-karat gold watch? Going by your logic Apple would have partnered with an existing high end watch maker and just provided them the "guts" and software to build a smart watch. Instead we get a completely Apple designed watch with a high end model and high end bands.

The fact that Apple has a mechanical engineering VP overseeing this project and that Jony Ive's design team is meeting with (and trying to poach) auto designers and engineers tells me that this is about way more than the dashboard.
  • Reply 22 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Remember, this is the new “APPLE IS MAKING AN HDTV”. The media hasn’t had a good rumor on which to grab in a VERY long time. They’re going to milk this nonsense for all it’s worth.

Let’s get ahead of the puns.

The steering wheel will be a rounded rectangle.

We're not talking about Gene Munster here.  The Financial Times and WSJ have good track records when it comes to Apple-related information.

• Reply 23 of 185
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    [

Have you used the Model S touchscreen? It's garbage. Several manufacturers flirted with having your controls adjustable via a screen or similar (BMW iDrive is one example). They have now gone back to having actual physical controls (rotary dials and buttons). They are far more intuitive, less distracting to the driver, and provide feedback to the operator that they're actually adjusting something.

Climate control is an example. BMW used to have up/down buttons for temperature. Absolute crap. To turn your heat all the way to full (cold weather) requires multiple presses with each press increasing temp by a single degree. Now they have a rotary dial - you can quickly turn it full cold to full hot in an instant, yet it's easy to change temperature by a single degree since you get click feedback in the knob (and also digital display so you can see the exact temperature).

BMW still has climate controls tucked away in iDrive, but the most common functions people need access to quickly are handled by physical controls.

The Models S is the worst possible implementation because they not only have up/down buttons for temperature control, but they are on the touchscreen and are even less useful than the physical up/down buttons BMW (for example) used to have on their cars.

You are mistaken. The Model S climate control ON/OFF, temperature, and fan speed may be controlled using the right steering wheel scroll wheel OR by using the touch screen.
  • Reply 24 of 185
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Tho is getting annoying.

An Apple registered van was spotted and now we get multiple "reports" about them building a car.

Suddenly everyone is saying "oh yeah they've been working on this for a long time."

Why are prople suddenly open about it? Seems like rumors and BS just to stir the pot. I bet the truth is still kept secret.
  • Reply 25 of 185

Marc Newson, who has been working with Apple recently, did a concept car design for Ford in 1999...the 021C.

• Reply 26 of 185
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    cali wrote: »
    Tho is getting annoying.

An Apple registered van was spotted and now we get multiple "reports" about them building a car.

Suddenly everyone is saying "oh yeah they've been working on this for a long time."

Why are prople suddenly open about it? Seems like rumors and BS just to stir the pot. I bet the truth is still kept secret.

The weak are sought out after such things by the tech paparazzi and some obviously talk. That's why there are secret graves under the new Campus .... ;)
  • Reply 27 of 185
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,589member
    Ouch I just snorted my tea in shock ... you are kidding right? I don't think the words 'embrace' and 'Google' will ever be in the same sentence from Apple. Let alone when discussing an OS.
    *Snort* Context.

The car makers turning to Google's OS and not Apple doing so.
    :D
  • Reply 28 of 185
    cali wrote: »
    Tho is getting annoying.

And rumors are Foxconn wants to get into battery business for smartphones and electric vehicles.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/02/the-icar-its-popcorn-for-your-mind.html
  • Reply 29 of 185
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    *Snort* Context.

The car makers turning to Google's OS and not Apple doing so.
    :D

Oh right, I didn't read what you wrote accurately due to the pain.

In fact I would suspect most would be lining up for Apple's rather than Googles.
  • Reply 30 of 185
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post

Quite agree, in my guess Apple is not aiming for the car manufacturing business, but is aiming at developing a a common integrated electronic control system taking care of all diagnostics, control, information and interfacing to electrical car systems far beyond entertainment systems. There are currently a couple of initiatives being run to make standardised systems in similar areas for military vehicles, an my guess is that Apple is aiming at a similar personal car system.

Do different car manufacturers have compatible systems in their cars?  Why would car manufacturers allow or wan't to give Apple access to their systems?  I can just imagine Honda's reaction to an Apple request to take over their engine management systems.  I doubt the reply would be printable.

If Apple really want to play with cars, I think they are going to have to make their own.

• Reply 31 of 185

Very sorry to hear that. Injury or illness? I just finished radiation/chemo treatments myself last week so I'm much more sympathetic to those who say they're in pain than I used to be.
  • Reply 32 of 185
    cnocbui wrote: »

Do different car manufacturers have compatible systems in their cars?  Why would car manufacturers allow or wan't to give Apple access to their systems?  I can just imagine Honda's reaction to an Apple request to take over their engine management systems.  I doubt the reply would be printable.

If Apple really want to play with cars, I think they are going to have to make their own.

Plus this Reuters story has a quote from someone saying Apple doesn't want help from carmakers. That makes me doubt Apple is looking to partner with car companies on reimagining the dashboard. Apple didn't partner with traditional watch companies on a smart watch they built their own.
  • Reply 33 of 185
    Boom. Take that, Google.

And if this happens, Tesla is toast. (A couple of days ago, Musk made this laughable statement about how the company could be worth the same as Apple -- $700B -- in ten years' time (or something to that effect)).
  • Reply 34 of 185
    gatorguy wrote: »

Very sorry to hear that. Injury or illness? I just finished radiation/chemo treatments myself last week so I'm much more sympathetic to those who say they're in pain than I used to be.

Yikes. I've been wondering why I haven't seen many posts from you lately, and if everything was alright.

Good luck, sir.
  • Reply 35 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Let’s get ahead of the puns.

The steering wheel will be a rounded rectangle.

Oh, yes... inspired by the best (/s)... the one and only Austin Allegro and its legendary 'quartic' steering wheel.

• Reply 36 of 185
    Boom. Take that, Google.

And if this happens, Tesla is toast. (A couple of days ago, Musk made this laughable statement about how the company could be worth the same as Apple -- $700B -- in ten years' time (or something to that effect)).

I just read a blog post about Google's out-of-control R&D and SG&A spending. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a bunch of layoffs from Google within the next year.
  • Reply 37 of 185
    Yikes. I've been wondering why I haven't seen many posts from you lately, and if everything was alright.

Good luck, sir.
    According to the Docs I did amazingly well. Even they were surprised at how I weathered the process with relatively few of the expected side-effects. . Now if that PET scan goes as well in three months,,,, :smokey:
  • Reply 38 of 185
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Actually, a lot of automotive components are from third parties. Things like anti-lock braking systems, traction control systems, electronic stability programs, oxygen sensors, airbags, catalytic converters, engine control units, etc. from companies like Steyr, Bosch, BASF, Delphi.

• Reply 39 of 185
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Plus this Reuters story has a quote from someone saying Apple doesn't want help from carmakers. That makes me doubt Apple is looking to partner with car companies on reimagining the dashboard. Apple didn't partner with traditional watch companies on a smart watch they built their own.

Nor do they have much of a history of letting their OSs run on other peoples' hardware.  I still think my idea from the other thread is possible - that the car's won't be for sale to the public, but hired as needed taxi/Uber style.

• Reply 40 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Actually, a lot of automotive components are from third parties. Things like anti-lock braking systems, traction control systems, electronic stability programs, oxygen sensors, airbags, catalytic converters, engine control units, etc. from companies like Steyr, Bosch, BASF, Delphi.

Having taken cars apart and put them back together again, I am aware of that. Magneti Marelli,  FIAMM air horns on Fiats.  Quite an experience when your upper half is deep in the engine bay and someone leans on the horn as a joke.