Apple reportedly learning how to develop self-driving electric cars

Comments

• Reply 41 of 185
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I rarely agree with BI or Gene Munster but this article makes some sense.

http://www.businessinsider.com/munster-heres-why-i-think-news-of-an-apple-car-is-suddenly-pouring-out-2015-2

Even if we never see a car from Apple these rumors certainly don't hurt recruitment efforts and if nothing else it gets people talking about all the things Apple might be working on for the future. All the things that the current iPhone gravy train is supporting.
  • Reply 42 of 185
    cnocbui wrote: »

Nor do they have much of a history of letting their OSs run on other peoples' hardware.  I still think my idea from the other thread is possible - that the car's won't be for sale to the public, but hired as needed taxi/Uber style.

Thinking about the different possibilities is exciting. it makes sense to be thinking big about the future whilr they're still making money hand over fist from iPhone.
  • Reply 43 of 185
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Very sorry to hear that. Injury or illness? I just finished radiation/chemo treatments myself last week so I'm much more sympathetic to those who say they're in pain than I used to be.

Sorry to hear that.  Best wishes!

• Reply 44 of 185
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that. Injury or illness? I just finished radiation/chemo treatments myself last week so I'm much more sympathetic to those who say they're in pain than I used to be.

The pain from snorting (as in choking and hot tea going everywhere) after thinking you were suggesting Apple would use a Google OS! Better now thanks.
  • Reply 45 of 185
    rogifan wrote: »
    Except none of the rumors point to this, they all point to something way beyond the dashboard. You're convinced because it's what makes the most logical sense to you. But how many people thought Apple would be selling an 18-karat gold watch? Going by your logic Apple would have partnered with an existing high end watch maker and just provided them the "guts" and software to build a smart watch. Instead we get a completely Apple designed watch with a high end model and high end bands.

The fact that Apple has a mechanical engineering VP overseeing this project and that Jony Ive's design team is meeting with (and trying to poach) auto designers and engineers tells me that this is about way more than the dashboard.

I'm convinced because I work in this industry. We have mechanical engineers even though our primary work is electronics and software. Having a mechanical engineer as your head doesn't mean you're making mechanical devices. They could be there because they have a good OVERALL understanding of automotive.

quinney wrote: »
    You are mistaken. The Model S climate control ON/OFF, temperature, and fan speed may be controlled using the right steering wheel scroll wheel OR by using the touch screen.

I'm aware of the right steering wheel controls, which are just as stupid. They are still slower than just turning a knob on your dash.
  • Reply 46 of 185
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Since Telsa gave away all its Patents I'm thinking this could give Apple a head start and apply those inventions into their project. Furthermore they could well be working with Tesla who could eventually be a component supplier (electric motors, batteries etc) to Apple. Maybe this is what Elon Musk and Tim were discussing last year when it was reported that both teams met.
  • Reply 47 of 185
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Thinking about the different possibilities is exciting. it makes sense to be thinking big about the future whilr they're still making money hand over fist from iPhone.

Yeah, and the scale is so big they can easily turn to Icahn and give him the bird and say 'there is no 'spare' cash - FO"

• Reply 48 of 185
    cnocbui wrote: »

Sorry to hear that.  Best wishes!

It saddens me greatly that Relic hasn't posted for a while...

Yeah, she was probably getting tired of seeing Apple dominate in processors.

And to find out the Denver K1 (which she hyped to no end, and which I criticized just as much) turned out to be nowhere near as good as Nvidia hyped. Or the fact Nvidia has ALREADY dropped it in favor of "vanilla" ARM A53/57 cores.
  • Reply 49 of 185

--------------------------------------------------

It isn't a surprise that Apple is developing its own electric car.

The average car has 27 computers in it.  Essentially, the average car is a mobile computer.

--------------------------------------------------

• Reply 50 of 185
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,155member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I'm aware of the right steering wheel controls, which are just as stupid. They are still slower than just turning a knob on your dash.

Since I replaced my Toyota's factory head unit with an aftermarket model with a third-party steering wheel control interface box, the steering wheel volume controls no longer work so I'm back to turning the rotary volume dial. That works fine for me and indeed it is faster than pressing the volume up (or volume down) button multiple times.

Oddly, one of the steering wheel volume buttons is now an attenuation button, so I can instantly reduce the volume to near mute, then press it again to return to the regular volume. I actually find this convenient (paying for parking garages, tolls, etc.).

My car's climate controls are simple dials, large and easy to grip, even with gloves. No stupid fiddly LCD interface.

• Reply 51 of 185
    I'm convinced because I work in this industry. We have mechanical engineers even though our primary work is electronics and software. Having a mechanical engineer as your head doesn't mean you're making mechanical devices. They could be there because they have a good OVERALL understanding of automotive.

But not one of the stories has pointed to this project being about Apple making a better dash for existing cars. They all point to something far more ambitious than that.
  • Reply 52 of 185
    Still don't believe it.
  • Reply 53 of 185
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,155member

That's fine. No one is expected to believe everything published on the Internet.

• Reply 54 of 185
    rogifan wrote: »
    But not one of the stories has pointed to this project being about Apple making a better dash for existing cars. They all point to something far more ambitious than that.

They don't point to ANYTHING since they're all just rumours at this point. Apple has a bunch of engineers from various disciplines in automotive. That's ALL we know.

People are taking this to the extreme in thinking Apple will start making cars.
  • Reply 55 of 185
    gatorguy wrote: »
    *Snort* Context.

The car makers turning to Google's OS and not Apple doing so.
    :D

*Snort* Context.

Because Apple doesn't license their OS to other hardware makers. And Apple doesn't sell its own parts to car makers.
    :D
  • Reply 56 of 185
    They don't point to ANYTHING since they're all just rumours at this point. Apple has a bunch of engineers from various disciplines in automotive. That's ALL we know.

People are taking this to the extreme in thinking Apple will start making cars.

I'm just going by what the rumors say. Maybe WSJ, FT and Reuters are being fed bad information or extrapolating it the wrong way. Maybe not. But I'll bet if a year ago if there was a rumor suggesting Apple was making an 18-karat gold watch not many would have believed it.
  • Reply 57 of 185
    Makes sense that Apple would be at least investigating the feasability of making electric cars. Or at least working on a platform third parties can use.

It started with CarPlay. I think that's the first time an Apple OS has been licensed to third parties. So I can see the whole car infotainment experience as well as controls being taken over as well.

And at that point, Apples investment in solar energy makes so much sense, its a no- brainer.

But Apple is a very efficient company.

So if guess those vans driving around with Optimus prime sitting on top is likely a multitasking situation. Improving maps accuracy, taking 3D pictures, and gathering autonomous telemetry. All for the price of one trips worth of gasoline and one manpower.
  • Reply 58 of 185
    Can you say... Taxi service. (Apple brand).

Uber did about 3 years ago... And the world chortled 3 billion dollars.
  • Reply 59 of 185
    SO THIS IS WHY THEY'VE BEEN DROPPING THE BALL ON QUALITY CONTROL

/s
  • Reply 60 of 185
    What if Apple was positioning itself to provide the onboard and backend artificial intelligence to manage citywide traffic systems to make them completely self-managing and efficient? It would be like Apple to analyze what is not currently working (traffic flow and travel are extremely inefficient in terms of energy and time wasted) and come up with a complete end-to-end solution. Apple's IBM partnership could logically lead to this. Replace the entire woefully inefficient traffic control systems with cutting edge traffic management.