5M+ Apple Watch units to be built for launch, 18k gold 'Edition' could be Apple's most expensive pro

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 126
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    It's interesting to consider what people choose to put on their wrists. I always have been somewhat of a minimalist, and for many years I wore a Hublot Classic with the black matte rubberized strap. That's been sitting in a drawer since shortly after I got my first iPhone in 2008 and gave up wristwatches entirely. The Apple Watch intrigues me for its minimal appearance when dormant. But when it's active, what lifestyle benefits might it bring me that I don't already enjoy, and will those benefits be worthwhile for the cost? The only way to know for sure is to hold one, wear one, use one and find out how others are experiencing its applications. Any successful user-experience business like Apple - that's put this much effort and thought into a product that may appeal to me - deserves a fair hearing. I don't fully understand the need for one, but I can be sold.

    One more thought: Unless there's some compulsion to show off the latest technogadget bling on one's wrist, what's the rush to be an early adopter? Jony Ives and his team have to be working today on the next generation of watches, to address the glaring shortcomings that are at this very moment popping up with the first iteration of a brand new product. In less than eight years, the market has seen as many different improved versions of the iPhone. So it will go for the watch.
  • Reply 22 of 126
    Let's not forget the Apple Lisa, introduced in 1983 at the low, low price of $9,995, or $23,756 2014 dollars!

    (source: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/)
  • Reply 23 of 126
    The Macintosh IIfx also started at $10,000 in 1990...with no video card.

    Yeah I had one. With a 19 inch Radius colour monitor that cost $5,000!

    And a circa 1985 $7,200 LaserWriter (at the time Apple's most powerful computer) ...
  • Reply 24 of 126
    PS - I took him up on his bet.

    1) Only you? Because he mentioned trolls, and you're not a troll.

    2) I think the odds are in your favour because 15M units is 20% higher than the iPad units, which is the fastest selling CE ever sold, and this is still very much an accessory device. That said, I do hope you lose, in so far ?Watch is a huge success.




    * Technically the iPad then couldn't be initially set up without a "PC", but I wouldn't say it's the same scenario, since it could include both Macs and WinPCs.
  • Reply 25 of 126
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 2,371member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by viggen61 View Post



    Let's not forget the Apple Lisa, introduced in 1983 at the low, low price of $9,995, or $23,756 2014 dollars!



    (source: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/)



    Yup, that's what I was thinking of. Did they ever sell anything with a base configuration more expensive than that? 

  • Reply 26 of 126
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post



    1) Only you? Because he mentioned trolls, and you're not a troll.



    2) I think the odds are in your favour because 15M units is 20% higher than the iPad units, which is the fastest selling CE ever sold, and this is still very much an accessory device. That said, I do hope you lose, in so far ?Watch is a huge success.

    * Technically the iPad then couldn't be initially set up without a "PC", but I wouldn't say it's the same scenario, since it could include both Macs and WinPCs.

     

    1. Yup... only me. Sure I'm a troll.  :-)

     

    2. It doesn't matter to me if I win or lose... I had to take the opportunity, no matter how slim the odds, to have sog leave for a month. Losing a bet on the internet won't harm my credibility (you need some to lose it anyway) and my ego certainly won't be damaged.  <img class=" src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies//lol.gif" /> 

     

    (As we've both said before (in one form or another)... even if the initial watch is a slow seller, Apple won't throw in the towel and eventually wearables will be the next big thing.)

  • Reply 27 of 126
    crowleycrowley Posts: 7,894member
    blastdoor wrote: »

    Yup, that's what I was thinking of. Did they ever sell anything with a base configuration more expensive than that? 
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Network_Server
  • Reply 28 of 126
    blastdoor wrote: »

    Yup, that's what I was thinking of. Did they ever sell anything with a base configuration more expensive than that? 

    According to MacTracker, the Macintosh IIfx had an initial base-price of $10,000-12,000.


    1000
  • Reply 29 of 126
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,166member

    It doesn't matter how much the gold Apple Watch will cost as long as there is one at ~$349.

  • Reply 30 of 126
    crowley wrote: »

    "This makes them the last non-Macintosh desktop computers made by Apple to date. The 500/132, 700/150, and 700/200 sold in the U.S. market for $11,000, $15,000 and $19,000, respectively."

    Nice find. MacTracker doesn't list any prices or model numbers for these and I wasn't willing to do a more thorough search to track down these outliers.
  • Reply 31 of 126
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post



    When the iPhone was announced many people I know said they couldn't wait to buy one. Each successive version there was similar chatter. I don't know a single person who has said they are interested in the Apple Watch. I hope this product does well.

     

    Well, seems you must live in a very special place then (Silicon Valley ?) cause it sold not that much initially. Were those people lying? ;-). I only really heard about it months later, the second version, the Iphone 2G, had lots more buzz from my perspective in Canada.

  • Reply 32 of 126
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Well, seems you must live in a very special place then (Silicon Valley ?) cause it sold not that much initially. Were those people lying? ;-). I only really heard about it months later, the second version, the Iphone 2G, had lots more buzz from my perspective in Canada.

    It's a memory of an anecdotal report so who knows if it's accurate or not, but I seem to recall that most seemed highly interested in the iPhone, but very few were wanting to buy it back then. It had '3G' or copy/paste or physical keyboard or a slew of other requirements to compete with real smartphones like the Blackberry. Most seemed like it was a neat idea but they weren't going to jump in to buy one.

    Let's remember they only sold 270,000 units in the first quarter and it took them over a year to sell 6 million units, which included opening up to several other countries that were the other biggest Apple buyers at the time, as well as dropping the price substantially, giving a refund to early adopters, dropping the 4GB model and then adding a 16GB model mid-cycle. If people seriously look back on the iPhone release the business side of their endeavor was not a perfect execution, and yet today we have some on this site that are saying if they don't sell 10 million units in the first year it will be a disappointment and proof that gay people aren't fit for society.
  • Reply 33 of 126
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DougD View Post



    I so do NOT want an Apple watch. My TAG does all I want: tells me the time and the battery lasts a couple years. Still, I'm sure plenty of "kids" will buy them. But I don't think this is an old fart (me) device.



    Maybe not this iteration but wearing a device that would be able to notify the paramedics when you are about to go into defibrillation would be a huge selling point. Not too mention other possible notifications.

     

    K

  • Reply 34 of 126
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post



     I don't know a single person who has said they are interested in the Apple Watch

     

    Its the single greatest iPhone accessory ever made. The approximate market size is 400-500 million active users.

     

    They will sell every single Apple Watch they can produce in 2015.

  • Reply 35 of 126
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post



     ... and yet today we have some on this site that are saying if they don't sell 10 million units in the first year it will be a disappointment...

     

    Where is he anyway?... must be in bed.

  • Reply 36 of 126
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,167member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    Looks like I'm winning my 15,000,000 unit bet.

     

    bunch of trolls will be getting banned later this year.  


    What was the bet?

     

    I'm still with my 20m bet for a full year of sales. Will I get banned if I take your bet?

  • Reply 37 of 126
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

     

    Its the single greatest iPhone accessory ever made. The approximate market size is 400-500 million active users.

     

    They will sell every single Apple Watch they can produce in 2015.


     

    That may well be true... but it still doesn't change the fact that I (or the other person) haven't heard anyone saying that they are interested in it.

  • Reply 38 of 126
    Just wait two years when the hardware is obsolete, and QVC The Shopping Network is selling these with deep discounts on their cable channel. /s
  • Reply 39 of 126
    tmay wrote: »
    What was the bet?

    I'm still with my 20m bet for a full year of sales. Will I get banned if I take your bet?

    The bet, as I recall, is if Apple doesn't sell 15MM units or more in the entire world in the first calendar year of sales* then [@]sog35[/@] will not post for a month. If they do sell 15MM units or more in the first calendar year then whomever takes his bet will need to not post for a month. It's on the honour system.

    You'll have to get with sog35 to see if he thinks 20MM units is too high. What I don't understand about his betting is what he gets out of it by having those people not post. And why he thinks others would like him to not post for a month. If Apple sells 14.9 million units he loses, but that's significantly higher than those that having been calling this a failure for months, yet he would be banned.. despite being much lose to being right than others who took his bet but are only assuming 3MM, 5MM or 10MM, for example.

    It would be more useful if you had to do donate money to charity (something I did when i lost a bet to [@]SpamSandwich[/@](?) a couple years back) or do something embarrassing (like Sherlock Holmes has to do on Elementary when he needs to get assistance for a case from the "We are Everyone” hacker group) that is posted to a YouTube video, for example.
  • Reply 40 of 126
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,315member
    Yeah I had one. With a 19 inch Radius colour monitor that cost $5,000!

    I still have mine in the cupboard, fully loaded with the 128 MB of RAM.
Sign In or Register to comment.