Apple Watch makes US magazine cover debut with model Candice Swanepoel

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2015
Supermodel Candice Swanepoel, best known for her work as a Victoria's Secret Angel, will be the first woman to don the upcoming Apple Watch in a U.S. magazine cover shoot with the March issue of women's lifestyle magazine SELF, suggesting Apple is quickly expanding marketing efforts beyond fashion and into fitness tracking.

According to SELF, Swanepoel, who is seen above wearing an Apple Watch running the Activity app, is the first woman to be featured wearing Apple Watch on a U.S. magazine cover. The publication's March issue comes four months after supermodel Liu Wen sported the device in a Vogue China spread last October.

Lending Apple Watch to a sports-minded women's magazine is a departure from Apple's product placement advertising efforts, which have thus far focused on fashion aspects of the device.
Considering Swanepoel's athletic prowess, it was an ideal accessory for her sporty cover shoot. She told SELF, "I'm an athlete. I use every single muscle, especially my core and arms, when I pose. It's so important for me to feel strong!"
Aside from a brief overview of Apple Watch's features, with an eye on fitness tracking, the short blurb on SELF's website does not reveal new details regarding Apple's forthcoming wearable. It is unclear if the print version will have a more comprehensive look at the Watch.

SELF's online look at Apple Watch wraps up with a few hero shots of the device supplied by Apple, but the print issue promises to have a few more onsite photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Swanepoel is a stunner.

• Reply 2 of 90
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Where is the iPhone that is needed to make it work?

I of course hope that's not the case but I sort of have a bad feeling.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Notice it's on?

I don't think the first gen will do this.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    Your move, Sammy, LG, Moto. Maybe you could put "Numa Numa Guy" on the cover of Maximum PC wearing an Android watch. Along with all those 1337 specs.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

First of all you don't have to be hardwired into your iPhone. Bluetooth range can be as high as 100m.

Second, you don't need to be connected to your iPhone for everything to work, at the moment, it's needed for network connectivity and 3rd party apps. 3rd party app restriction will supposedly be lifted sometime after this years WWDC.

• Reply 6 of 90
    But but but it's going to be so expensive and only for rich people¡
  • Reply 7 of 90
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    First of all you don't have to be hardwired into your iPhone. Bluetooth range can be as high as 100m.

Second, you don't need to be connected to your iPhone for everything to work, at the moment, it's needed for network connectivity and 3rd party apps. 3rd party app restriction will supposedly be lifted sometime after this years WWDC.

Good info here.

Makes me feel better about the watch.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I was reading today that the ?Watch may ship minus a lot of the health and fitness tracking features. If true rather surprising.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2476897,00.asp

Although that report from the WSJ seems to be contradictory to the health and fitness movie at Apple.com

http://www.apple.com/watch/films/#film-fitness

• Reply 9 of 90
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Will you need the phone when working out. Does the watch store the fitness data?

I KNOW it does not need to be physically connected.
  • Reply 10 of 90
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was reading today that the ?Watch may ship minus a lot of the health and fitness tracking features. If true rather surprising.

Uh, no. It's referring to possible features during development but didn't make the cut. It won't be missing anything that has already be shown off at the initial reveal. 

• Reply 11 of 90
    mstone wrote: »

There seems to be a lot of confusion between the multitude of articles I've read on this subject as to what is or isn't happening with the health sensors... some seem to imply that potentially bits that were shown at the announcement might now not be included whereas others imply that lots more sensor stuff was planned but that all the sensors that got canned had already been canned by the time the Apple Watch was announced last year, so everything unveiled in the announcement should be in the final product...
  • Reply 12 of 90
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It is unclear if the print version will have a more comprehensive look at the Watch.

Doesn't need to.  Let ArsTechnica sweat the details.

• Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:

Will you need the phone when working out. Does the watch store the fitness data?

I believe the watch has Apple's M8 which tracks and saves motion information - once your phone is back in range, that info can be uploaded.

• Reply 14 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Because of several key hires Apple has made over the years, there was a lot of speculation that Apple's "wearable" would come chock-full-of-sensors. It didn't. There was an article that reasoned, Apple wasn't satisfied with the performance of a lot of the sensors and decided to leave them out. That is also speculation, because no one really knows Apple's intentions or plans, except Apple.

• Reply 15 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Just curious why whenever AI reports a story on Jony Ive or some other middle-aged Apple exec, we have to see a life size image of them but when we get a chance to see at an attractive woman in a story all we get is a thumbnail?

• Reply 16 of 90
    msantti wrote: »

I hope you have bad feelings for a long time and painfully.
  • Reply 16 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    Because of several key hires Apple has made over the years, there was a lot of speculation that Apple's "wearable" would come chock-full-of-sensors. It didn't. There was an article that reasoned, Apple wasn't satisfied with the performance of a lot of the sensors and decided to leave them out. That is also speculation, because no one really knows Apple's intentions or plans, except Apple.

Yes, and note that Apple never announced any sensors other than heart at the event. Tim Cook even said in that Charlie Rose interview that they were "starting with the heart". Comparing the ?Watch sensors to Android Wear devices it's clear Apple's plans are much bigger. Also Mark Gurman from 9to5Mac claims the ?Watch heart sensor will be much more accurate than the competiton.
  • Reply 18 of 90
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Nice Watch!

• Reply 19 of 90
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

It will have storage built in. It will store your fitness data. You can actually store music and photos on Apple Watch so you can access them without an iPhone. We don't know how big the storage is though.

• Reply 20 of 90

Just as a side note... Do you know how many people buy sh!t just because they saw some model wear it in a fashion magazine!? I think Apple is being extremely smart with the marketing and will sell a ton of these devices. That watch does not look out of place at all.