Apple CarPlay partner Toyota not planning to add support any time soon - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 133
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

o

Quote:

Originally Posted by frantisek View Post

One a bit off topic idea. Apple should integrate iCar/CarPlay with HealthKit to make us more healthy. It could result in situation that iCar would ask you, are going to place A? When Yes it would stop and told you: "it is only about 200 yards/meters, you have to walk there" or" in case you do not load at least 50 pounds in place A I will stop and you have to return on foot. :-D

Look at this differently. If Healthkit is built with Carplay than it may or may not tell you to walk but it can tell you in unusual health situation measuring your vital signs than call your family or doctor if your blood pressure is high and about to get heart attack. May save your life. OR if you are boundary line psychotic person and about to cross phycotic line, attack and kill innocent people in sane, it calls your psychiatric who than calls back to talk to him calm him down and bring into clinic. So, Toyota needs to get back on board.

• Reply 82 of 133
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I totally agree with you in the first point, given two cars with same engineering, ease of repair and endurance of components. but for the same price one has a bunch of point in time useful accessories then I too would make that choice. I might not use them frequently but when I did I would be glad they were there.

if on the other hand, the hand I was describing a person chose an inferior car simply because it had a great stezza and 4 zone air con then I think my point has merit. these people are very common. I sadly do look down at them.

and I feel given 2 $19,990 cars but one is selling up its iPhone integration versus the competitor which lacks that but actually has good components in the steering assembly and is pitching handling and braking. then design trade offs have been made and it is really evident when you drive both as cars, not as mobile lounge rooms.

not sure if I am really into classic cars, I know what I am willing to spend on a car and that is the absolute best of class I can get. I have done all the maths I can stomach with all the car purchasing and on going cost scenarios and none work out better at this time.

I am waiting for a full electric 4wd that can structurally deal with being actually used as one. in the meantime it is more cost effective for the limited amount of time I spend in a vehicle to sustain the 60 series or maybe get a more modern version of a 70 series, anything in 100 series range is an oversized bubble car too flimsy and expensive to repair to dare take into serious environs.

I buy apple for the same sorts of reasons. I really like that new oscars ad, the iPads are covered in paint and used in rough real ways. my MBP gets coated in all sorts of crap and made to endure harsh conditions while I work it hard ( when I do), I live in a place which hits 45c plus and I don't want my phone packing it in. I don't put cases on because they alter the cooling profile of the device and usability and I dint them and wet them and they keep working. they don't have a billion shitty features and I don't install app after mod after app.

I'm with you, in general.

There's much more to car than infotainment platform; everything else, pretty much.

I've been eye-balling Porsche Macan since it was released. It is still a bit far-fetched at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I'll be well in the zone within the next 12 months, give or take. I've drolled over reviews and picked up quite a few details about standard and optional features, but I still don't know much about info system. It was covered in reviews, I just didn't pay much attention to that part. I expect it will have Bluetooth (everyone does today) so I can link pretty much any phone for conversation purposes. I believe it can play music from the phone via USB port (maybe via BT as well, but USB is fine for me). I know that there is sat-nav built in. I think there is an option for HDD to store music... but I probably wouldn't pay extra for that.

What is important is that it seems to be amazing SUV to drive and practical enough to be everyday family car... and that is really all that matters.
  • Reply 83 of 133
    I don't believe that it affects buying decisions at all... or, at the very least, close to zero. After all, it hasn't really hurt manufacturers who have been selling that crap system from Microsoft all of these years.

According to this survey... Technology Makes or Breaks Car Purchase Decisions

http://press.autotrader.com/2014-11-17-AutoTrader-com-Study-Shows-Technology-Makes-or-Breaks-Car-Purchase-Decisions

"We live in a world now where nailing the basics – great ride and handling, reliability, compelling design – aren't enough to compensate for a lack of the latest safety and infotainment features"

"The study also revealed that ease-of-use is a key deciding factor for car shoppers, with 48 percent saying they would walk away from a vehicle they liked if the technology was perceived to be too difficult to use."

Considering all the comments in this thread saying how poorly some factory infotainment systems are designed... I think CarPlay and Android Auto might be a boon.

And since nearly every smartphone sold in the US is either iOS or Android... having your in-dash screen mirroring that interface should be a big selling point. Imagine the average consumer plugging their phone into the car and having a familiar interface popping up on the screen. That's exactly why Apple and Google created these systems in the first place.

You're right... car makers have had no problems selling their crappy infotainment systems. But they really haven't had much competition in that space either. If you're looking at a few car brands and they all have crappy systems... there's not much to compare.

But then you look at a car that has a system that was designed by the same people who made your phone OS... and you will start to see the differences.

The survey said safety is the #1 concern... and I agree. But all cars sold in the US are relatively safe these days. We have NHTSA ratings for a reason.

But after that... infotainment systems and their ease-of-use rank pretty high.
  • Reply 84 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    OK, they all believe Apple does controlled leaks, but where is their proof? You seem to believe the first sentence as true, but you don't believe Leo when gets into specifics about it being to divert focus on ?Watch which still probably more than 2 months away from going on sale. I agree with you that Apple would have never demoed ?Watch if they didn't think they had a viable product on their hands. What would have changed 6 months later to Apple think it's not going to be successful now? It's not like they haven't working to make it better, and we haven't seen any of their "smartwatch" competitors come out with a better direction for the product category.
    Why exactly is it outdated? SW can be updated, as well as other HW. Maybe in the next year they want to use an OLED display in the dash, but today they can only use an LCD that is LED backlit, and 5 years ago they couldn't use an LED-backlit display. That doesn't require any major change in order to alter the display type.

I never said I believed it only that they all agreed Apple was doing it. And I agree with you 100% on the Watch. The WSJ reported in June of last year that the watch would have 10 sensors. Then this February they report that most of the sensors were scrapped due to being unreliable and Apple was scrambling to find a use case for the watch to exist. If we are to believe that we have to believe that as of June 2014 Apple was planning to ship a watch in 2014 with 10 health and fitness sensors but only 3 months later Apple decided to scrap he health sensors and push back the launch to 2015. But yet somehow Apple had all these other features available for demo in September even though according to the WSJ once the sensors were dropped Apple was scrambling to find a use case for the device. None of it passes the smell test.

Oh and one other thing I disagree with: Ben Thompson thinks under Steve Jobs Apple was a tech company that cared about good design. Now he thinks Apple might be a design company that just happens to make computers. And he's basing that completely on the Jony Ive article in the New Yorker. Never mind that a year or so ago the man of the hour was Craig Federighi and WWDC was all about technology. Never mind that this WWDC is supposed to be all about software bug fixes and performance improvements. To make a sweeping statement like he did is ridiculous. Apple has NEVER been about ONE thing and they never will be.
  • Reply 85 of 133
    Considering all the comments in this thread saying how poorly some factory infotainment systems are designed... I think CarPlay and Android Auto might be a boon.

And since nearly every smartphone sold in the US is either iOS or Android... having your in-dash screen mirroring that interface should be a big selling point. Imagine the average consumer plugging their phone into the car and having a familiar interface popping up on the screen. That's exactly why Apple and Google created these systems in the first place.

Even though most of these companies are supporting CarPlay (and Android Auto), it seems that very few cars are in the market. Granted it's only been 10 days shy of a year since the CarPlay brand was first announced on March 3rd, 2014, but I would have hoped there would be more buzz about it. Perhaps the new iOS 8.3 beta with bug fixes for CarPlay will offer better performance. I didn't notice anything being too slow in the videos but that has been a common complaint with it so far.
  • Reply 86 of 133
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

2) I drive a 25year old Toyota land cruiser I doubt your top gear profile applies to me.

I like a modern car with better safety features like:

6 airbags

ABS antilock 4 wheel disc brakes

back up camera and sensors

better smog rating

side turn signals on the mirrors which also retract or tilt for parking

mirror defrosting

automatic headlight sensors for darkness

brighter LED lights

adjustable steering wheel

low tire pressure sensor

automatic crash/air bag deployment detection

safety monitoring and emergency service

active head rests

battery, generator and fuel pump are disengaged in accident

automatically unlocks all doors in accident

turn on all cabin lighting and the warning flashers

I don't think your vehicle has many of those things not to mention navigation which could also be considered a safety system. Also my vehicle comes with free routine maintenance which even includes changing the wipers, brake fluid and full safety inspection.

You may think you don't need a radio or a climate control system, but if you had an emergency such as taking a sick or injured person to the hospital you might want to keep them warm or cold depending on the circumstances or if your windows are fogged up or icy that could be a safety issue as well. A radio can come in handy after a natural disaster or terror attack to get emergency information. You don't have to listen to the radio or turn on the climate control if you don't want to but it can be very important during an emergency.

• Reply 87 of 133
    yes
    mstone wrote: »
    I like a modern car with better safety features like:

6 airbags
    ABS antilock 4 wheel disc brakes
    back up camera and sensors
    better smog rating
    side turn signals on the mirrors which also retract or tilt for parking
    mirror defrosting
    automatic headlight sensors for darkness
    brighter LED lights
    adjustable steering wheel
    low tire pressure sensor
    automatic crash/air bag deployment detection
    safety monitoring and emergency service
    active head rests
    battery, generator and fuel pump are disengaged in accident
    automatically unlocks all doors in accident
    turn on all cabin lighting and the warning flashers

I don't think your vehicle has many of those things not to mention navigation which could also be considered a safety system. Also my vehicle comes with free routine maintenance which even includes changing the wipers, brake fluid and full safety inspection.

You may think you don't need a radio or a climate control system, but if you had an emergency such as taking a sick or injured person to the hospital you might want to keep them warm or cold depending on the circumstances or if your windows are fogged up or icy that could be a safety issue as well. A radio can come in handy after a natural disaster or terror attack to get emergency information. You don't have to listen to the radio or turn on the climate control if you don't want to but it can be very important during an emergency.

i don't live in the snow.

safety is important and I didn't mention anything against the two functions a car performs, a) move you b) safely from here to there.

if you need to do that in a multiplex cinema in couches at 25c then get the **** off the road because that is the opposite of safety.

in car flat screens on the dash are not safety options. CarPlay or any infotainment system is not safety.

navigation is a bit of you are constantly driving in unknown locations, probably therefore in a rental. most people barley leave the. area they are born in though do failing to know your own streets is a safety hazard.

anyway just say the address into your phone and Siri will navigate you there by voice even without cell connection.

my comments are about the people pretending they wouldn't buy a car without CarPlay, about people who value the stereo over the mechanical fitness of the car.

that you see fit to rally against me I guess you needz 1000w of bullshit and 4 movies playing at once in your car to go get the milk

no wonder you hunger for as many safety features as you can get, prolly need them for the impending accident you are about to have while reading this and eating a cheeseburger while driving your kids to school.

or maybe you agree with me and I think you do.
  • Reply 88 of 133
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Even though most of these companies are supporting CarPlay (and Android Auto), it seems that very few cars are in the market. Granted it's only been 10 days shy of a year since the CarPlay brand was first announced on March 3rd, 2014, but I would have hoped there would be more buzz about it. Perhaps the new iOS 8.3 beta with bug fixes for CarPlay will offer better performance. I didn't notice anything being too slow in the videos but that has been a common complaint with it so far.

I'm sure we'll see more 2016-17 models with CarPlay. It will take some time.

I read a comment basically saying it takes so long for auto electronics to be developed... that they are obsolete by the time you buy the car. That sounds about right... car makers sometimes run at a glacial pace for adopting new technology. Apple developed something new... but the car makers have to fit that into their schedule for testing and stuff.

I applaud Hyundai for introducing CarPlay in the 2015 Sonata... they obviously put forth the effort to get it ready in less than a year. (or maybe they worked closely with Apple before CarPlay was announced... I don't know)

Apple had all those car logos on the screen at the keynote. I imagine the only way they were up there is because Apple talked to them directly.

So it's weird that Toyota is opting *not* to get on board with CarPlay in the US... since they were listed as a CarPlay supporter.

Let's hope the other 28 CarPlay supporters don't have a change of heart!
  • Reply 89 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

According to this survey... Technology Makes or Breaks Car Purchase Decisions

http://press.autotrader.com/2014-11-17-AutoTrader-com-Study-Shows-Technology-Makes-or-Breaks-Car-Purchase-Decisions

"We live in a world now where nailing the basics – great ride and handling, reliability, compelling design – aren't enough to compensate for a lack of the latest safety and infotainment features"

"The study also revealed that ease-of-use is a key deciding factor for car shoppers, with 48 percent saying they would walk away from a vehicle they liked if the technology was perceived to be too difficult to use."

You're right... car makers have had no problems selling their crappy infotainment systems. But they really haven't had much competition in that space either. If you're looking at a few car brands and they all have crappy systems... there's not much to compare.

But then you look at a car that has a system that was designed by the same people who made your phone OS... and you will start to see the differences.

The survey said safety is the #1 concern... and I agree. But all cars sold in the US are relatively safe these days. We have NHTSA ratings for a reason.

But after that... infotainment systems and their ease-of-use rank pretty high.

I think the statements that I highlighted in bold say it all... and I agree. Once more car systems have Apple (or even Android) OS, then we will see more people asking for higher quality systems. For my Wife and I, though, we still bought a Honda without either... but, I will be writing them to say that I want to see a higher quality infotainment system the next time I purchase or I will be looking at the competitors.

• Reply 90 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

...So it's weird that Toyota is opting *not* to get on board with CarPlay in the US... since they were listed as a CarPlay supporter.

Let's hope the other 28 CarPlay supporters don't have a change of heart!

It's odd that they'd change course for no visible reason, but isn't cost typically the deciding factor in an industry that lives or dies on slim margins?

• Reply 91 of 133
    It's odd that they'd change course for no visible reason, but isn't cost typically the deciding factor in an industry that lives or dies on slim margins?

Surely Apple outlined what it would cost to implement CarPlay into their cars.

If Toyota didn't like what Apple offered... they wouldn't have given Apple permission to list them as a CarPlay supporter.

It's been almost a year since Apple announced CarPlay to the public.... though I bet their talks with the car makers started long before that.

I wonder what Apple presented to Toyota in the first place... and what made them change their mind.

It may be cost related... but it can't cost that much to implement CarPlay. Besides... CarPlay requires the upgraded infotainment system anyway... which has huge margins for the car maker.

I'd find it hard to believe that a car maker would ever lose money on CarPlay.

But who knows...
  • Reply 92 of 133
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

or maybe you agree with me and I think you do.

I occasionally listen to the the news while driving but I never eat while driving. So in that regard I do agree with you.

I wasn't rallying against you. I was mostly just commenting on why I like my new car, rich with safety features. I'm just very safety conscious. Maybe I should consider myself odd as well because most people I see driving are very reckless.

I much prefer my built in navigation over an iPhone. Bigger screen and also heads up display. Map tiles do not have to be downloaded.  I don't even look at my phone for any reason while driving.

I don't trust Siri at all. You ask her for some location - you'd think she would assume you meant somewhere nearby, but she often times jumps five states away. Also, since I live in Southern California, lots of locations have a mixture of English and Spanish names so no matter what language you have set she doesn't understand you. And SoCal is a big place so I don't know a tenth of the streets around here.

• Reply 93 of 133
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't trust Siri at all. You ask her for some location - you'd think she would assume you meant somewhere nearby, but she often times jumps five states away.

1) I don't get that. I'd think that it would be obvious and simple to have Maps assume you're wanting something local when you don't mention a different city, state or zip code.

2) Note it's not a Siri thing, but an Apple Maps thing.
  • Reply 94 of 133
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member

Siri sometimes would work. All I would get from it was a Sorry Siri can't connect to the Internet at this time. But the signal would show 3-4 bars.

If I rebooted the iPhone6 then it would work. This happen 3 times in route. 

Try to use Hey Siri. Out of 10 It may get 2 connects. It's like she in a coma. Will not wake up.

Maps is a joke. Uses more data when using it thru carplay as to using it thru the phone. No one could tell me why that is. I set a location to go to and after the 4 hour drive it used 671gb of data. The way back following the reverse mode it used 247 gb of data.

if I'm playing music while using maps the music volume lowers while Siri tells me the next instruction sometimes it does not.

Your stuck using Apple maps. Can not use Tom Tom or Garmin. Tried to use Google maps. No can do. Lose internet, Lose maps.

I've seen maps crash when i have not followed the route that maps has decided is the right way to go due to roadworks or detours. 

Also have had the deck disconnect from the iPhone to where I had to physically disconnect and reconnect the cable. Twice in one weekend.

I have had it removed and returned it. I checked the place where I bought it from a few weeks ago and it looks like no new updates have fixed the problems. 

• Reply 95 of 133
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Toyota is not known for caring about car sound/navigation at all. Even in the Lexus line the sound systems are fairly boring.

Quote:

which is excellent since it means they at least in the car industry they haven't forgotten that cars are about making long lasting quality engineering decisions focused on driving, not pumping out glorified air cons and sound systems on wheels.

i don't need my car to have an infotainment system I need it to work. which is why I drive a 60 series Landcruiser.

I'm a bit odd like that though, In that I look for a car, when buying a car not a stereo

You seem to think it is admirable of Toyota to place a substandard system in their vehicles. Toyota is known (rightly or wrongly) for quality. My point is that they very much put no emphasis on the quality of their sound/navigation systems which to me is inconsistent with their reputation. That is short sighted on their part, as is the shunning of CarPlay.  I understand your position regarding safety and distractions caused by loud music or complex dashboard electronics.  Like you, I often don't use the sound system because I too like to hear what is going on around me. Other times, I like to blast music as loud as I possibly can - preferably if it scares or annoys someone nearby.  I am quite inconsistent in most things I do in life as are most humans.  Your choice of an ancient Land Cruiser may be consistent with your personal standards, but the car is a gross polluter, unsafe (for you and others) and in general a vehicle that gives the middle finger every one and every thing.  Good choice.

• Reply 96 of 133

After reading the comments across this thread and attracting a wild number of comments myself

I have this to say in conclusion to my involvement in the discussion.

Wow.

Here are some choices 4 year old children make that involve the decision trees used by the majority of people commenting.

"I won't wear those shoes, they don't have Dora on them"

"That sweater is useless, it is a batman one not spiderman"

After smashing gift on the ground "I don't like Frozen anymore, I like Big Hero 6"

-

To the rare persons who mentioned car purchasing decisions based on things like engineering, engine, handling and safety

I am eternally grateful you exist and hope that you have many children that you share your wisdom with so that they may rule over the sub-human oceans of brain damaged morons that have come to inhabit earth.

• Reply 97 of 133
    After reading the comments across this thread and attracting a wild number of comments myself

I have this to say in conclusion to my involvement in the discussion.

Wow.

Here are some choices 4 year old children make that involve the decision trees used by the majority of people commenting.

"I won't wear those shoes, they don't have Dora on them"

"That sweater is useless, it is a batman one not spiderman"

After smashing gift on the ground "I don't like Frozen anymore, I like Big Hero 6"

-

To the rare persons who mentioned car purchasing decisions based on things like engineering, engine, handling and safety

I am eternally grateful you exist and hope that you have many children that you share your wisdom with so that they may rule over the sub-human oceans of brain damaged morons that have come to inhabit earth.

WTF man...

People can base their car purchasing decisions on anything they want.

I remember when rear-seat DVD players were a big deal. Lots of people chose vehicles specifically because they had those features. That had nothing to do with safety and everything to do with entertainment.

BTW... using terms like "sub-human" and "brain damaged morons" really doesn't help whatever point you're trying to make.
  • Reply 98 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

o

Look at this differently. If Healthkit is built with Carplay than it may or may not tell you to walk but it can tell you in unusual health situation measuring your vital signs than call your family or doctor if your blood pressure is high and about to get heart attack. May save your life. OR if you are boundary line psychotic person and about to cross phycotic line, attack and kill innocent people in sane, it calls your psychiatric who than calls back to talk to him calm him down and bring into clinic. So, Toyota needs to get back on board.

Yes, it could also prevent driver would be falling asleep.

• Reply 99 of 133
    What a poor business decision! I guess I'll stick with Honda and Ford and my Apple products.
  • Reply 100 of 133

I realize I'm late to the party here, but thought I'd offer this up...

A few weeks ago, I bought a new 2014 Prius C "model 4". This is the optioned out model with the "Entune" package with navigation and XM, bluetooth, Pandora and other "apps." As I understand it, this is the same head unit used in all similarly equipped Toyotas.

Fortunately, I got a pretty good deal on the 2014 since the 2015s are out and this was probably sitting on the lot for a while. I did not base my decision on the electronics package, although I was interested in integrated bluetooth capabilities. I'm glad I didn't have to pay much of a premium for this. I have to say I am not at all impressed.

For one thing, when changing "modes" (FM1 to FM2 to AM to Sat channel presets) via the steering wheel control, the screen with the 6 or so channel presets does not advance to the particular screen where the channel/band that is playing should be shown. My 2008 Prius does this correctly, so not sure what happened there.

The navigation interface is primitive and clunky. The map image quality is nowhere near as good as standalone GPS or iPhone (or any smart phone for that matter).

Apps require a network connection from your cell phone of course, but for iPhone, you have to connect a USB cable. Not too big a deal, except when you do this, the system automatically thinks you want to play iTunes music from your phone as default. It is possible to get a network connection via bluetooth from Android devices apparently, but not iPhone (one of those Bluetooth profiles that iPhone still does not support). I reverted to using a separate charger/cable for my iPhone.

Bluetooth pairing for audio generally works well. Running navigation from phone mutes car audio when necessary. BTW, I think it a bit  redundant to have a Pandora app in the car when the phone is required and having the app in the phone works fine via Bluetooth.

One time (so far just once), Entune crashed. Went to black screen, followed by a re-boot. Oh, the times we live in...

One thing that is strange (but not quite an Entune issue) is that even though this car has the bells and whistles, a backup camera is not included, and not even an option on any 2014 "C" model. Only the 2015 Prius C model 4 offers it. My 2008 regular Prius (model 2) without nav has the backup camera. Many other Toyotas offer the camera. I thought maybe I had a broken camera when I first got the car! I have since found out that it is possible to retrofit a "factory connection kit" style of camera since the head unit can accept the camera connection, so I'll probably do that some day.

?All in all, I am happy with car though. 51+ MPG is great for my daily 17 mile on surface streets only commute, and it is a very comfortable car that actually has decent handling (if not particularly exciting). Too bad Toyota says they are not interested in CarPlay. I think they really could use some help in the user interface department.