Apple CarPlay partner Toyota not planning to add support any time soon - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeowulfSchmidt View Post

This.  Toyota makes some of the best cars on the planet.  I can add the things they don't include.

Isn't this the whole point of CarPlay? Let Toyota concentrate on the car and Apple can do the infotainment system.

• Reply 62 of 133
    The infotainment system is one of many things to consider when purchasing a car. But it's something you interact with every single day.

You don't want to be stuck with a bad system for 5+ years.

I didn't say Toyota will never sell another car because they don't offer CarPlay. But for a customer... it could be the deciding factor between a Toyota and some other car brand.

To a consumer buying or leasing a car, if all other options are more or less equal they will choose the car that most serves their needs. It's no secret that there are many, many things people are willing to overlook or give up rather than not have access to their iPhone and they've made made this absolutely clear in survey after survey. Car companies which fail to focus on customer wants and needs will have fewer customers.

That's a pointless statement, as all cars have access to the iPhone. CarPlay is simply a customised interface.
  • Reply 63 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Toyota is not known for caring about car sound/navigation at all. Even in the Lexus line the sound systems are fairly boring.

The sound systems are ok but the Nav is poor and hugely expensive too. Lexus are still stuck in the past when you can charge £2k for a nav system in a car. These days everybody's smartphone can to a better job. Just give up, provide a screen and let Apple what they are good at.

• Reply 64 of 133
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    which is excellent since it means they at least in the car industry they haven't forgotten that cars are about making long lasting quality engineering decisions focused on driving, not pumping out glorified air cons and sound systems on wheels.

i don't need my car to have an infotainment system I need it to work. which is why I drive a 60 series Landcruiser.

I'm a bit odd like that though, In that I look for a car, when buying a car not a stereo
    Considering the land cruiser is the only Toyota product that has not suffered from a huge decrease in quality shown by the massive recalls that they try to cover up, they seem more interested in quick profit and cost cutting. Since the dont update you truck often and it is their most expensive product, they can maintain its quality.
  • Reply 65 of 133
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

All those car engineers are not working on an apple car but

CarPlay integration?? Infotainment integration

If aftermarket CarPlay can come down in price and integrate better with steering wheel controls

I think the market could push more manufacturers to do this

Maybe apple can spend some $$$ lowering engineering costs to manufacturers and become a subcontractor for dash design etc

Is CarPlay following Apple TV?? Because Apple becomes dependent on outside interests

Sounds like apple needs an end run

I'd like love apple doing more integration support for after market

Get it down to $400 and easy steering wheel control integration contract with best buy to install and I'd be buying for my new Subaru Outback

Maybe Toyota looking for more $$$ from apple

The issue with your reasoning ( and with a lot of other posts), is that car have a different life cycle compared to electronics.  It takes on average 3 years from car design to product launch.  This means that the moment a car goes in production , its infotainment system is be defintion outdated.

So car manufacturers have the choice, or better integrated infotainment systems that are outdated, or trying to plug in a brand new system.  The latter should not be underestimated,  taking all engineering, logistical and safety regulations into account.

• Reply 66 of 133
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Let them underserve their customers. I'm not planning to be one of theirs anytime soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochi Fung View Post

Such antiquated thinking of Toyota to not support CarPlay. How hard is it really to make CarPlay an add-on and charge more money for it, as opposed to outright not supporting it.

Ya, because their own in-house stereo systems have been so great,....NOT!  They all SUCK!!!!  

• Reply 67 of 133
    The Toyota infotainment in my top-of-the-line Avalon with all technology options is a poorly implemented joke. The touch screen does not "touch" some of the most used options. Horrible user interface that needs to be dumped (and take your lack of map updates with you)!
    I might build an adapter to place my iPhone in front of the Toyota screen!
  • Reply 68 of 133
    rogifan wrote: »
    On This Week in Tech Leo Laporte's guests (Ben Thompson, Christina Warren and someone from Business Insider) all agreed these car leaks were controlled leaks from Apple. Leo's theory being Apple wants to divert attention away from ?Watch because they're expecting it to be a bust. That's the dumbest thing ever because if Apple really believed that, the watch would never have seen the light of day,

OK, they all believe Apple does controlled leaks, but where is their proof? You seem to believe the first sentence as true, but you don't believe Leo when gets into specifics about it being to divert focus on ?Watch which still probably more than 2 months away from going on sale. I agree with you that Apple would have never demoed ?Watch if they didn't think they had a viable product on their hands. What would have changed 6 months later to Apple think it's not going to be successful now? It's not like they haven't working to make it better, and we haven't seen any of their "smartwatch" competitors come out with a better direction for the product category.

cropr wrote: »
    The issue with your reasoning ( and with a lot of other posts), is that car have a different life cycle compared to electronics.  It takes on average 3 years from car design to product launch.  This means that the moment a car goes in production , its infotainment system is be defintion outdated.

So car manufacturers have the choice, or better integrated infotainment systems that are outdated, or trying to plug in a brand new system.  The latter should not be underestimated,  taking all engineering, logistical and safety regulations into account.

Why exactly is it outdated? SW can be updated, as well as other HW. Maybe in the next year they want to use an OLED display in the dash, but today they can only use an LCD that is LED backlit, and 5 years ago they couldn't use an LED-backlit display. That doesn't require any major change in order to alter the display type.
  • Reply 69 of 133
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    agree with you that Apple would have never demoed ?Watch if they didn't think they had a viable product on their hands. What would have changed 6 months later to Apple think it's not going to be successful now?
    Tepid consumer and press reaction? A bit of sudden self awareness and doubt?
  • Reply 70 of 133
    My new Subaru top-of-the-line Forester has the world's worst infotainment system. Will be swapping out the unit for an aftermarket CarPlay unit as soon as it's off warranty, or when second or third generation units become available. Though CarPlay is adding wireless functionality, I've heard one owner say the the Lightning cable connected ones are superior in function, if not convenience.
  • Reply 71 of 133
    Well I was looking to switch from Ford Lincoln to Toyota, but this pretty much sets that plan back. I was very satisfied with my Lincoln and the move to Toyota would have been a change for me. But Ford dropping Sync and doing Apple CarPlay made a move to a new Lincoln model year 2016 and Toyota decision to at best defer CarPlay has cleared my thinking.
  • Reply 72 of 133
    crowley wrote: »
    Tepid consumer and press reaction? A bit of sudden self awareness and doubt?

Do you think the consumer and press reaction has been tepid?

Do you think Apple thinks ?Watch will be unsuccesful?
  • Reply 73 of 133
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ^ I have no idea, I'm just speculating in response to your question. But yes, I'd say interest has been pretty modest compared to past Apple announcements. While iPod, iPhone and iPad certainly had their naysayers, they also had cheerleaders and palpable excitement from certain quarters. I'm not hearing many people at all excited about ?Watch.
  • Reply 74 of 133
    "We may all eventually wind up [with CarPlay or Android Auto], but right now we prefer to use our in-house proprietary platforms for those kinds of functions," Toyota spokesperson John Hanson <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/23/technology/rivals-google-and-apple-fight-for-the-dashboard.html?_r=0">told</a> the <em>New York Times</em>.

This brings back memories of the short sighted comments made by BlackBerry, Nokia, and Microsoft, back when the iPhone was introduced. Look at where they are now!
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Seems to me Toyota freezing out CarPlay is just about as smart a move as Microsoft freezing iOS out of Mobile Office.  Toyota''s losing touch with its customers, or future customers.

Agreed. But then, have you seen some of Toyota and Lexus' new designs? They place "cool looking" over functionality in their cars to the extreme. You couldn't PAY me enough to have one of those hunks of crap!
    yuck9 wrote: »
    Have you played with carplay yet ? It sucks. Bought a Alpine unit and after 6 days of them trying to get it to work I had them remove it.
    Deck worked great. It's half baked and does not work well. 

What are you smoking pal??? I have used CarPlay, and compared to the half-baked, lousy, slow, choppy, unresponsive systems made by the car makers, CarPlay is an absolute DREAM by comparison!
    ecats wrote: »
    I recently drove a Lexus GS450h for a weekend away. It has a very large screen and is controlled via a moveable puck.

My passenger and I both noted how poorly organised and counter intuitive the controls were. Each of us had a few attempts at trying to figure out how to add our destination to the maps. It was incredibly confusing. Ultimately we ended up choosing a nearby preset that the owner had used prior, because we simply couldn't find the place to add our own.

The other features are too cumbersome to navigate while driving, despite some useful features being locked away into that interface. The display is cluttered with unhelpful visual noise. E.g. Text almost always runs over (and thus against) a graphic backdrop which makes glancing to the song or other information take longer than necessary.)

I actually recall vocalising that "this car is such a perfect candidate for carplay", it seems the in car systems are built new for every model and don't command much importance, despite being in regular use by the driver.

Same with me! Took a 2015 Mercedes Benz GLK 250 (loaded) for a drive, and the very first thing that came out of my mouth after the drive (which blew anything Toyota or Lexus makes out of the water), was just how HORRENDOUS their infotainment system is! I told the sales guy I'd pay extra if he could rip it out and put in CarPlay, but was told they were not supporting it in Canada, yet. I told him you just lost a customer, because I wouldn't spend $70k on a vehicle that would just serve to frustrate me.
    which is excellent since it means they at least in the car industry they haven't forgotten that cars are about making long lasting quality engineering decisions focused on driving, not pumping out glorified air cons and sound systems on wheels.

i don't need my car to have an infotainment system I need it to work. which is why I drive a 60 series Landcruiser.

I'm a bit odd like that though, In that I look for a car, when buying a car not a stereo

Talk about an extremely narrow-minded view of cars, holy crap!

if you go looking for a car and your decision making process is based on how good of a lounge it is and how well it distracts you from the drive then I think you are shopping for the wrong thing and should probably potato up in the couch at home since that is the objective.

careening along with the stereo blaring while yabbering on the phone and putting myself to sleep with artificial air and spending more time looking at a screen than the road is not safe or responsible driving. to me.

perhaps if the temperature outside is such that it would kill you to be exposed to it then a safe climate inside the car makes sense and those places exist. I do not live there.

if I were to buy a monitor the quality of its speakers or its capacity to make cool drinks are not the determinants of purchase.

like I said I am odd. if the car I bought had those things whatever, I wouldn't pay to include them and I wouldn't make a purchasing decision based on them. I may not actually even use them and normally don't if I am in a car with them.

even when I cycle each day I don't listen to music on my bike, I want to hear my own thoughts and be aware of the environment around me. same goes when I am running trail, I want to hear each foot hit the ground because it gives me important feedback to maintain safe traction.

the amount of idiots who have no idea you are coming until they startle when you suddenly appear beside them in all modes of transport is ridiculous.

Wow, ok... Now Ai is attracting 1950's car trolls here? Please do us a favour and keep such idiocy to yourself.

Seriously?

Anyone who bases their buying decision on the availability of CarPlay is a fool.

I'm basing my buying decision on CarPlay, so are you calling me a fool? I've used infotainment systems from all the top brands, and compared to CarPlay, they all down right SUCK BALLS. If I'm in the market to spend $70k on a car of my dreams, the LAST thing I want is anything inside it that will just serve to frustrate me and detract from the driving experience.
  • Reply 75 of 133
    crowley wrote: »
    ^ I have no idea, I'm just speculating in response to your question. But yes, I'd say interest has been pretty modest compared to past Apple announcements. While iPod, iPhone and iPad certainly had their naysayers, they also had cheerleaders and palpable excitement from certain quarters. I'm not hearing many people at all excited about ?Watch.

I'd place the cheerleadering for those product announcements in this order, from highest to lowest:

1. iPhone
    2. iPad
    3. ?Watch
    4. iPod

I'm not sure who would argue that the iPhone didn't have the most consumer interest. Phones sucked in 2006, and we all knew it, even if we didn't know exactly what Apple would do to make it a better experience many knew from the iPod success that Apple could make it better. There were an amazing number of very incorrect mockups as the rumours were spreading in late 2006 about an Apple-made phone.

I'd say the iPad is second, but a fairly distant second behind the iPhone. There were a great number of people (myself included) that saw the device as being both brilliant, yet having no real use for their particular needs. This holds true today and with the iPhone 6 series on the market I am doubtful I'll ever buy an iPad again so long as my MBP is my main device. Many others seem to call it a giant iPod Touch and wanted a a full build of Mac OS X in it.

I put iPod last on that list because Apple was nothing then so their mindshare was virtually extinct. The iPod being announced had less effect on the media outlets than LG releasing a new mid-range smartphone, and those that did mention it seemed to find Apple's desperation in both hiring Steve Jobs (because they had fired him) and then coming out with a music player well after others into a market that wasn't very popular in the first place (as if that was going to save the company).

I think the mindshare and interest is there for ?Watch. Even if people don't understand why they might need the device, I think there is a lot of trust in Apple to go along with that interest. There is also the high level of integration that people associate with Apple. As I've said many times, I am leaning toward the Fitbit Charge HR at this time and do not care for the aesthetics of this first device, but I do believe Apple is on the right track with 1) focusing on the jewelry side of it, which includes the unusual number of design options out of the gate, and 2) the current HW choices they've made up to this point, despite there being no evidence of the key features I'd want in order to make a buyer in its first iteration.
  • Reply 76 of 133
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This is seriously big bummer. I am Toyota fan and obviously customer for the last 25 years. I was hoping that 2015/2016 year models will incorporate CarPlay( & AndroidPlay) so my iphone map, contacts(phone functions) work seamlessly when I am inside car. Now, I have to buy other manufacturer's car because remember we can not change car every couple of years. I still have 1992 toyota camry. So, TOYOTA if you don't keep up with the mobile phone connectivity, than risk of loosing many,many customers. I think this is suicidal decision on Toyota's part or any car manufacturer's who don't implement CarPlay or similar in their upcoming automobiles.. Look at the list currently support Apple's CarPlay. Fierce competitor Honda is on board so you start questioning what is wrong with Toyota ?
    List here
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/23/toyota-no-carplay/

CarPlay versus Android Auto adoption
    Automaker Apple CarPlay Android Auto
    Alfa Romeo %u2713 %u2713
    Audi %u2713 %u2713
    Bentley %u2713
    BMW %u2713
    Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, RAM %u2713 %u2713
    Citroen %u2713
    Ferrari %u2713
    Fiat %u2713 %u2713
    Ford %u2713 %u2713
    Honda %u2713 %u2713
    GM %u2713 %u2713
    Hyundai %u2713 %u2713
    Infinity %u2713
    Jaguar %u2713
    Kia %u2713 %u2713
    Land Rover %u2713
    Maserati %u2713
    Mazda %u2713 %u2713
    Mercedes-Benz %u2713
    Mitsubishi %u2713 %u2713
    Nissan %u2713 %u2713
    Opel %u2713 %u2713
    Peugeot %u2713
    Renault %u2713 %u2713
    Seat %u2713
    Skoda %u2713
    Subaru %u2713 %u2713
    Suzuki %u2713 %u2713
    Toyota %u2713
    Volkswagon %u2713 %u2713
    Volvo %u2713 %u2713
  • Reply 77 of 133
    yuck9 wrote: »
    Have you played with carplay yet ? It sucks. Bought a Alpine unit and after 6 days of them trying to get it to work I had them remove it.
    Deck worked great. It's half baked and does not work well. 

Can you be more specific about the issues other than "not work well"?
  • Reply 78 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

This is seriously big bummer. I am Toyota fan and obviously customer for the last 25 years. I was hoping that 2015/2016 year models will incorporate CarPlay( & AndroidPlay) so my iphone map, contacts(phone functions) work seamlessly when I am inside car. Now, I have to buy other manufacturer's car because remember we can not change car every couple of years.

Like any company, Toyota would love to hear feedback from its customers, especially its loyal ones. Take the effort to voice your opinion. Seriously.

CarPlay is not like some fly by night platform. Toyota needs to know that its decision not to implement will negatively affect its buyers' decisions.

Win-win for all if all major brands support CarPlay... consumers will then have more choices. I wouldn't think that integrating CarPlay would add much at all to the bottom line sticker price.

• Reply 79 of 133

One a bit off topic idea. Apple should integrate iCar/CarPlay with HealthKit to make us more healthy. It could result in situation that iCar would ask you, are going to place A? When Yes it would stop and told you: "it is only about 200 yards/meters, you have to walk there" or" in case you do not load at least 50 pounds in place A I will stop and you have to return on foot. :-D

• Reply 80 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And this is why I beleive the car project at Apple is real.

I believe it's real because making accessories for other people's products has never been Apple's strong point. They like to control the full user experience and that ability to control it is what allows them to deliver superior user experiences, or as you said "consistent user experience".

If Toyota implements CarPlay and then screws it up, it's Apple's rep on the line. Toyota's too to a far lesser degree, but I've never encountered anyone who bought a Toyota because the software used in the car was intuitive and great to use, they buy Toyota's for the mechanical quality. So if Toyota does a shoddy implementation of CarPlay, or even one that's less than great, Apple will be blamed.

For example, in another post on this thread, someone was claiming they had problems with an Alpine CarPlay system, and decreed that CarPlay sucks as a result. Maybe it does, I haven't used it, but how can they be certain that Apline didn't brick the implementation or had failures in QC on that model? I'm not saying that was the case, it could well be that CarPlay does suck, but the point is we can't be sure of that, but consumers will default to blaming Apple, just as that poster did. That's the type of thing Apple needs to avoid to protect its brand.

The Apple car makes a lot of sense if they're going to be able to fully put their Apple touches on a smart-car experience AND they think smart-cars are the future. To me, there is no question they are the future. Carplay is just a drop in the bucket, a mere "app", compared to what's to come.