Apple CarPlay partner Toyota not planning to add support any time soon - report

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 133
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Smart Phoney wrote, "CarPlay is installed into your dash."

And then of course you sayjng I am NOT correct when I stated 1) that iOS is not installed, and 2) that each manufacturer needs to "support" so that CarPlay and Android Auto to work with their infotainment system.

Wow...CarPlay and iOS are the same thing now. Gotcha smart guy!
  • Reply 122 of 133
    Wow...CarPlay and iOS are the same thing now. Gotcha smart guy!

That's right, because CarPlay is a service and feature that is part of iOS, which includes its own UI, you jump to some erronous claim that if it resides on your iPhone that is the same thing as iOS. :no:

Look, it's clear you didn't know what you were talking about and you then got in over your head, but I think you're understand, at a little bit, so you're best bet isn't to dig any further holes… but I hope you do.
  • Reply 123 of 133
    That's right, because CarPlay is a service and feature that is part of iOS, which includes its own UI, you jump to some erronous claim that if it resides on your iPhone that is the same thing as iOS. :no:

Look, it's clear you didn't know what you were talking about and you then got in over your head, but I think you're understand, at a little bit, so you're best bet isn't to dig any further holes… but I hope you do.

You must be really stupid if you think that CarPlay doesn't require any software to be installed on the controller part. Older aftermarket headunits can have CarPlay functionality added with a firmware update. CarPlay requires a protocol most likely provided by Apple, no matter what.
  • Reply 124 of 133
    You must be really stupid if you think that CarPlay doesn't require any software to be installed on the controller part. Older aftermarket headunits can have CarPlay functionality added with a firmware update. CarPlay requires a protocol most likely provided by Apple, no matter what.

Note that I stated in the very first comment in which you replied to me that "what automobile manufactures need to do to support CarPlay is essentially allow the in-dash video screen act like a secondary display for the iPhone," which clearly indictars they need to work on their end to allow CarPlay to work through their HW, but their HW does not contain CarPlay's UI or other SW.

It's good that you're at least finally catching up to what the rest of us have known for a year, but your still wrong about CarPlay being installed into your dash.
  • Reply 125 of 133
    Note that I stated in the very first comment in which you replied to me that "what automobile manufactures need to do to support CarPlay is essentially allow the in-dash video screen act like a secondary display for the iPhone," which clearly indictars they need to work on their end to allow CarPlay to work through their HW, but their HW does not contain CarPlay's UI or other SW.

It's good that you're at least finally catching up to what the rest of us have known for a year, but your still wrong about CarPlay being installed into your dash.

Note that I never said iOS had to be installed in the car. I stated that, "CarPlay must be installed into the car, whether they call it CarPlay or not it's still software that has to be installed." By your reasoning for just needing to support screen mirroring, I guess those touch controls "magically work" just by plugging the phone into the car.

You don't seem to comprehend what the original rebuttal was about. You state that all that had to be done by car makers is to allow an audio/video pass through which is not true. It requires both components to talk to reach other in order to understand the touch, voice and hard button inputs being activated. I'm sure Apple has unique code and API to allow this.

Siri eyesfree is an available software update from Acura on some models after the fact. Before the update the cars already had Bluetooth fuctionality, by your logic, it should of already worked before the update.

Stop digging your hole with your own misinterpretations.
  • Reply 126 of 133
    Note that I never said iOS had to be installed in the car. I stated that, "CarPlay must be installed into the car, whether they call it CarPlay or not it's still software that has to be installed." By your reasoning for just needing to support screen mirroring, I guess those touch controls "magically work" just by plugging the phone into the car.

You don't seem to comprehend what the original rebuttal was about. You state that all that had to be done by car makers is to allow an audio/video pass through which is not true. It requires both components to talk to reach other in order to understand the touch, voice and hard button inputs being activated. I'm sure Apple has unique code and API to allow this.

Siri eyesfree is an available software update from Acura on some models after the fact. Before the update the cars already had Bluetooth fuctionality, by your logic, it should of already worked before the update.

Stop digging your hole with your own misinterpretations.

CarPlay is NOT INSTALLED in the car. CarPlay is a UI that resides on the iPhone. Think of it as the automobile becomes a fucking accessory for the iPhone if you're having trouble wrapping your head around it. Saying that the manufacturers needing to support some method for the iPhone to push it's UI to the car's system is the same as the CarPlay UI being "installed into" the dash is as fucking shortsighted as saying that Siri is installed into cars with EyesFree, that the iPod is installed into cars that support Mp3 players, or that Mac OS X is installed into a mouse, keyboard and printer because they are made to work WITH a Mac. This is technically computer science, but this is just scrapping the surface of shit 8 year old get taught in school so at least try to comprehend that your Windows Vista is not installed on your Linksys WRT54G router simply because they need to understand the same protocol in order to work together. FOR **** SAKE AT LEAST TRY TO NOT WRITE SUCH STUPID SHIT OR AT LEAST OWN UP TO IT WHEN YOU DO!

PS: Your Linksys router is not "The Internet." Internet Explorer is not "The Internet." That box does not contain "The Internet."

• Reply 127 of 133

As i said in my previous post, "whether they call the software CarPlay or not, it must be installed into the car for it to work". Never did i say iOS has to be installed
    Holy crap on a cracker! You're either trolling at this point or you're just a fucking idiot. Being a gentlemen I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just an ignorant douche, so I'll explain it to you one last fucking time. CarPlay is NOT INSTALLED in the car. CarPlay is a UI that resides on the iPhone. Think of it as the automobile becomes a fucking accessory for the iPhone.

Still needs software on the car side from Apple to integrate. It's okay. Go curse your brains out and have a blast, you obviously don't "get it".

Goodnight.
  • Reply 128 of 133
    CarPlay […] must be installed into the car for it to work.

• Reply 129 of 133
    Guys... I think we are all in agreement that car makers have to install some kind of "special sauce" in order for CarPlay to work in their cars.

Apple provides this "special sauce"... and the car makers take that and integrates it into their particular infotainment system.

The car should already have some sort of touchscreen... and there's probably a whole bunch of other requirements that we're unaware of. (If anyone can get their hands on Apple's CarPlay integration manual... that would be great.)

There are many infotainment systems on the market today... Toyota Entune, Ford MyFord Touch, Hyundai BlueLink, Cadillac Cue, Chevrolet MyLink, and many others... along with a wide range of button, knobs and other control surfaces.

The car makers have to take Apple's "special sauce" and make it work with their system. It's probably not the easiest thing in the world... but it can't be the most difficult thing either.
  • Reply 130 of 133
    Apple provides this "special sauce"... and the car makers take that and integrates it into their particular infotainment system.

That's also not accurate. By saying there is special sauce there is something tangible Apple creates for the automotive industry. Since there is no one system for all cars, there is no one set of code that can be written for all systems, so there is no universal special sauce or even specialize packets of special sauce. They even use vastly different HW setups.

Apple lets them know what they need in order for their CarPlay UI to be on the screen, and the signals CarPlay needs to have sent to it for it to understand the commands the user is giving the iPhone. They provide no code. This is effectively no different than a keyboard and monitor manufacturers having to design a keyboard and monitor to work with a PC, albeit much more complex since CarPlay has to Rx and Tx signals from these various controls and display not built from the ground up to support CarPlay. If you want to use an analogy refer to it as a recipe, but it's definitely not Apple providing any sauce.
  • Reply 131 of 133
    That's also not accurate. By saying there is special sauce Apple gives them there is something tangible Apple creates for the automotive industry. Since there is no one system for all cars, there is no one set of code that can be written for all systems, so there is no universal special sauce or even specialize packets of special sauce. They even use vastly different HW setups.

Apple lets them know what they need in order for their CarPlay UI to be on the screen, and the signals CarPlay needs to have sent to it for it to understand the commands the user is giving the iPhone. They provide no code. This is effectively no different than a keyboard and monitor manufacturers having to design a keyboard and monitor to work with a PC, albeit much more complex since CarPlay has to Rx and Tx signals from these various controls and display not built from the ground up to support CarPlay. If you want to use an analogy refer to it as a recipe, but it's definitely not Apple providing any sauce.

Gotcha. That clears it up :)

Apple provides a recipe... and the car makers flavor it to their taste.

I was simplifying the "special sauce" part. I just knew Apple had to give the car makers something... it didn't have to be code.

How did you learn this? I'd like to read up on it.
  • Reply 132 of 133
    Such a shame, I've owned 5 Lexus vehicles and a couple Toyota before that but this will end any and all purchase consideration. Their Nav UI is pretty crumby, only incrementally changing every couple years from the first implementation. It isn't their strong point, so why lock out a better experience.
  • Reply 133 of 133

Which do you think Toyota cares about more... losing $200 from the yearly map upgrades... or losing $30,000 from not selling a car?

If Toyota won't offer CarPlay or Android Auto... someone else will.

Not offering those features might end up hurting Toyota as other car makers start including them in their cars.

Someone may buy a Hyundai Sonata instead of a Toyota Camry because of those features.

And like Solip said above... car makers could actually charge more for an infotainment system that included CarPlay and Android Auto. They already charge more for "premium" sound systems... but they are usually terrible.

CarPlay and Android Auto actually look pretty cool:

Well... best of luck Toyota.

Seriously?

Anyone who bases their buying decision on the availability of CarPlay is a fool.
    I have always thought that it should be an option also. How hard can it be to have an apple interface and /or an android and /or an original equipment display?
    After owning 5 Toyota's and looking to buy a new one this year, well I'll ether hope that mine 2004 4Runner lasts a while longer or look at another MFG.