Pebble again turns to crowdfunding to take on Apple Watch with new color display model

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015
Best known for being a blockbuster success on Kickstarter, Pebble announced on Tuesday that it is returning to its roots, and will crowdfund its next-generation smartwatch with a color display and voice input, in a bid to take on the upcoming Apple Watch.

With a fundraising goal of $500,000, Pebble blew past that target almost immediately Tuesday morning after the campaign was announced. The highlight of the new model is a color e-paper display that the company says will offer up to 7 days of battery life.

Dubbed the Pebble Time, the device also features a new timeline interface that's said to highlight what's important. The hardware is also water resistant and remains compatible with the existing 6,500 Pebble apps and watchfaces.

An integrated microphone also allows users to send voice replies to incoming notifications, though voice replies will be limited to Gmail notifications on an iPhone. Android users will be able to send voice replies with "most" major apps for that platform.

Pebble expects the Time to begin shipping to customers in May. While Kickstarter supporters will get a discount, the final shipping price of the device will be $199.

Pebble Time is 20 percent thinner than the original model, at just 9.5 millimeters. It also features a scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass display.

Input with the Pebble remains driven solely by physical buttons, with three located on the right side of the hardware, and one on the left. The redesigned user interface uses the top right button for "past" information, the center one to access the "present," and the bottom right button for "future."

The Pebble Time will work on an iPhone 4s and above running iOS 8. The company says the display is daylight readable and includes a backlight.

The watch will use any standard 22-millimeter watch band, and step tracking will require a separate Misfit or Jawbone device.

Apple, of course, will begin shipping its own Apple Watch to customers in April. For $150 more than the new Pebble Time, it will include an OLED touchscreen, step tracking, heart rate monitoring, Siri compatibility, and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 133
    Oh the game boy color of pebbles
  • Reply 2 of 133
    I'm actually glad Pebble exists. Let them blaze new trails and determine market acceptance.
  • Reply 3 of 133
    I hope they have great success, this looks like a great smartwatch functionally, which is not the only thing AppleWatch is after. As someone who has yet to purchase a smart watch I do hope there are more than one successful company in this new field.
  • Reply 4 of 133
    sog35 wrote: »
    The happiest people are Kickstarter.  Those scammers get 5% fees of of every dollar.

No, the happiest are those receiving the funding. Free capital without giving up stock or control of the company? Insane. Good for Kickstarter and those who use it.
  • Reply 5 of 133
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Pushing side buttons to navigate through Timeline seems a bit cumbersome.
    Why not a swipe up and down on the screen?

Nevertheless, it remains to be seen which direction (full apps vs simplicity) will win out in the end. An iPod initially just did music...and succeeded in doing that very well. It eventually gave way to apps and video with the iPod Touch.

Any app will need to be optimized for small watch screens. Whether there's enough functionality and usefulness in these apps is another story.
  • Reply 6 of 133
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

I'm glad to see something like this. Even though I think it's ugly as sin, I have to admire the fact that it is water resistant (you can swim with it -- something you can't do with the Apple Watch) and that it lasts for 7 days on a charge.

Something like this is more of a replacement watch to me than a limited device like the Apple Watch which will last a day per charge and can't even handle more than a few rain drops. If they made  a Pebble Time Steel version, they'd definitely have my attention.

• Reply 7 of 133
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm glad to see something like this. Even though I think it's ugly as sin, I have to admire the fact that it is water resistant (you can swim with it -- something you can't do with the Apple Watch) and that it lasts for 7 days on a charge.

Something like this is more of a replacement watch to me than a limited device like the Apple Watch which will last a day per charge and can't even handle more than a few rain drops. If they made  a Pebble Time Steel version, they'd definitely have my attention.

Although I'm not sure what functionality would make a color version a significant improvement over the current Pebble Steel. 

• Reply 8 of 133
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The happiest people are Kickstarter.  Those scammers get 5% fees of of every dollar.

Kickstarter are providing a service. Why shouldn't they get paid for their work?

Personally, I'm glad that the Pebble exists. It's currently $159 on the Early Bird pledge. That's going to get a lot of people interested in smart watches and hopefully some of those people will eventually upgrade to a $349+ Apple Watch.

• Reply 9 of 133

Competition is always good. I'm not sure this actually is competition for the Apple Watch though. Seem to be targeted at completely different audiences. If it was about $50, maybe. 

Takes guts to go up against AAPL with a hobbyist product. Pebbles' time (!) was a couple years ago. IIRC, it took them forever to deliver. Understandable from a small startup. Now that the Big Guns have showed up, it's time (!) to move on to something else.

• Reply 10 of 133
    Wow, do those watches look old-school. And not in a good way.
  • Reply 11 of 133
    sog35 wrote: »
    But the company receiving funding needs to ship a $199 product for only $179

I would think pebble was big enough to do this on their own, but I guess not.

Pebble's cost isn't $199 to make the watch.
  • Reply 12 of 133
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I have the 1st pebble. If I couldn't get the Apple Watch, this would be the ONLY smart watch I would even consider getting. Nothing else even remotely interests me. At least these guys are doing something different, with e-ink screens. and were actual trailblazers with the pebble.
  • Reply 13 of 133

Bad move. Mess with fire, you get burned. I think Pebble would have been better to stick with their core strengths and not tried to directly compete with Apple.

• Reply 14 of 133
    Fundraising is for charities. Get proper investors like a real bloody company you damn moochers.
  • Reply 15 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

AppleWatch has 100x more uses than pebble.  Calling it limited is ridiculous.

Sure you need to recharge it every day.  But that's like calling a smartphone limited because a feature phone can last 4 days without a charge.

A watch that I can't wear when it's raining outside or when I'm swimming laps is most certainly "limited". I'm am NOT going to take a step back in everyday functionality... period.

• Reply 16 of 133
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rbalmer View Post

Fundraising is for charities. Get proper investors like a real bloody company you damn moochers.

It's crowdfunding, not charity-style fundraising. The backers get something for their money.

• Reply 17 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

A watch that I can't wear when it's raining outside or when I'm swimming laps is most certainly "limited". I'm am NOT going to take a step back in everyday functionality... period.

You seem to know a lot about ?Watch that hasn't been announced.

Tell me, why would ?Watch have a waterproof speaker and sealed electronics if it couldn't go out in the rain?

• Reply 18 of 133
    rbalmer wrote: »

Anytime you get an opportunity to get free money with no strings attached for your business, you take it!
  • Reply 19 of 133
    richl wrote: »
    It's crowdfunding, not charity-style fundraising. The backers get something for their money.

That isn't accurate. Those funded do not guarantee backers will actually receive anything. They provide goals, not guarantees.
  • Reply 20 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

You seem to know a lot about ?Watch that hasn't been announced.

Tell me, why would ?Watch have a waterproof speaker and sealed electronics if it couldn't go out in the rain?

I was wrong about the rain, but it is definitely out when it comes to swimming, which is a big part of my fitness routine and many active athletes:

Quote:

Tech journalist David Pogue learned a couple of things about Apple’s new wearable in a private briefing during today’s media event. Apple told him that its watch is “water resistant,” not waterproof. “Sweating, wearing it in the rain, washing your hands, or cooking with it is fine. Take it off before the swim or get in the shower, though.”

http://www.cultofmac.com/295055/apple-watch-water-resistant-waterproof/#AppZIivJAmk1li3h.99