iOS, Android dominate smartphone market with 96% combined stake

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    cropr wrote: »
    bjnflicks wrote: »

Well my son has got such Alcatel smartphone as a present for his birthday.  It runs Google Chrome, Facebook, Twitter,  Gmail, and the agenda app very smoothly.    OK there is virtually no space to install a lot of other apps, and it becomes sluggish if you try to run 5 apps simultaneously, but it has an FM radio, a microUSB card reader and stereo speakers, all features that my iPhone lacks.  

Well you son has has Google 3 times spying on him,
    But young people don't care if they are being spied on, it builds their ego !
  • Reply 62 of 82
    croprcropr Posts: 1,125member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"Stereo" speakers an inch or so apart are not, in fact "stereo" anything. For FM broadcasts as well as AM there are apps that give you the feed for your iPhone.

I wouldn't say that the stereo speakers (roughly 4 inches apart) produce hifi sound quality, but even the unexperienced ear hears immediately that the sound is better than with the internal speaker of the iPhone.

Of course there are great Internet radio apps with thousand of channels, but an FM radio has its value. My son takes every day the train to school and the quality of the 3G/4G connectivity in the train is too lousy for streaming audio. Additionally with an app he would consume a valuable part of his monthly data plan, so he's happy to have a free FM radio. 

• Reply 63 of 82
    croprcropr Posts: 1,125member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Well you son has has Google 3 times spying on him,

But young people don't care if they are being spied on, it builds their ego !

Lucky for you and me that we have iPhones.  Apple spying on us feels so much more comfortable.

• Reply 64 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nouser View Post

It charts like this that tend to lead me to believe that there are Android devices sitting in warehouses, lots of Android devices in lots of warehouses.  Are we to believe large numbers of people would buy a smartphone and not use it?  Units shipped does not necessarily correspond to market share. Units sold is the right metric but none of the Android device makers report that value. I'm quite sure they know this number but for obvious reasons choose not to report it.

Another note is that Android has a much larger share of lower income smartphone owners. Lower income people spend less time online. Tip that to the other side with iOS having a bigger chunk of upper income smartphone owners, and it makes room for the browser stats to be closer to parity, while the units sold go heavily in Android's direction, as there are plenty of super-low-end phones available. 

I guess that browser usage is not a good metric for phones that aren't in drawers or warehouses.

• Reply 65 of 82
    Another note is that Android has a much larger share of lower income smartphone owners. Lower income people spend less time online. Tip that to the other side with iOS having a bigger chunk of upper income smartphone owners, and it makes room for the browser stats to be closer to parity, while the units sold go heavily in Android's direction, as there are plenty of super-low-end phones available. 

It should also be noted that Apple has 0% of the under $400 smartphone market... by choice.

And since the average selling price of the iPhone is actually above $600... Apple is firmly in the high-end smartphone market.

But these market share reports make no distinction between a $50 no-name Android phone or a $500 flasgship Android phone. They simply count the number of Android units... whatever they may be. That is how market share is calculated... but it doesn't really tell the whole story.

Of course cheaper phones sell in greater volume than expensive phones. And guess which OS the cheaper phones run? Android.

So it's a little disingenuous to punish Apple for having only 20% of the smartphone market... when their 20% is almost exclusively expensive phones.

Apple should actually be lauded for that. It's a lot harder to sell expensive phones than cheaper phones.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It should also be noted that Apple has 0% of the under $400 smartphone market... by choice.

They do however benefit greatly from the sub $400 secondary market.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    They do however benefit greatly from the sub $400 secondary market.

Secondary market... like when someone buys a used iPhone?

Apple only makes money on the initial iPhone sale... they don't make any more money if I sell my old iPhone to someone else.

(unless I'm not understanding what the secondary market is...)
  • Reply 68 of 82
    Secondary market... like when someone buys a used iPhone?

Apple only makes money on the initial iPhone sale... they don't make any more money if I sell my old iPhone to someone else.

(unless I'm not understanding what the secondary market is...)

Sure they do. That person goes on to purchase apps, and such, which in turn will make that person more likely to purchase a new iPhone the next time around.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And since the average selling price of the iPhone is actually above $600... Apple is firmly in the high-end smartphone market.

But these market share reports make no distinction between a $50 no-name Android phone or a $500 flasgship Android phone. They simply count the number of Android units... whatever they may be. That is how market share is calculated... but it doesn't really tell the whole story.

Of course cheaper phones sell in greater volume than expensive phones. And guess which OS the cheaper phones run? Android.

So it's a little disingenuous to punish Apple for having only 20% of the smartphone market... when their 20% is almost exclusively expensive phones.

Apple should actually be lauded for that. It's a lot harder to sell expensive phones than cheaper phones.

Yeah, I'm just saying that these are factors that affect the statistics. Clearly Apple is doing the best job making money in the phone business.

• Reply 70 of 82
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Sure they do. That person goes on to purchase apps, and such, which in turn will make that person more likely to purchase a new iPhone the next time around.

Ohhhhhh... gotcha. Good point.

I was only referring to the first sale in my earlier comment. But you're absolutely right. Apple will make some money as long as an iPhone is in service.

Apple might even make more money from apps on a hand-me-down iPhone than Google makes from apps on a brand new Android phone.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    nouser wrote: »
    It charts like this that tend to lead me to believe that there are Android devices sitting in warehouses, lots of Android devices in lots of warehouses.  Are we to believe large numbers of people would buy a smartphone and not use it?  Units shipped does not necessarily correspond to market share. Units sold is the right metric but none of the Android device makers report that value. I'm quite sure they know this number but for obvious reasons choose not to report it.

Units shipped is EXACTLY what market share measures. Nothing more.

There are additional figures like web browsing share, app downloads, app revenue, etc.

But market share has always been units shipped... plain and simple.
  • Reply 72 of 82

I think you missed my point... Apple does NOT report units shipped. They only report units sold through to a consumer.  Junk sitting in a warehouse is not market share its warehouse share.  What "Market" is measured by a phone sitting in a warehouse unsold?

• Reply 73 of 82
    I think you missed my point... Apple does NOT report units shipped. They only report units sold through to a consumer.  Junk sitting in a warehouse is not market share its warehouse share.  What "Market" is measured by a phone sitting in a warehouse unsold?

Very few companies report actual sales, so units shipped is the de facto method to ascertain market share.
  • Reply 74 of 82

Then an accurate chart showing this comparison is rubbish as I stated earlier.

• Reply 75 of 82

Well... the title on the chart in this article clearly says "Shipment Market Share"

So I would assume they mean the "Sell-in" to the channel... which are shipments from the manufacturer to the reseller.

The alternative is "Sell-though" which refers to consumers... which this chart is not showing.

As for warehouses... the joke is that no one wants Android phones so they just get locked up in a warehouse. (think Indiana Jones)

While funny... that can't be true. If Android phones were really piling up in warehouses... no reseller would be ordering more phones the next quarter.

But since Android phone shipments have been increasing every quarter... Android phones are, in fact, going home with consumers. (Only in rare cases do we hear reports of millions of unsold units being sent back to the manufacturer)
  • Reply 76 of 82
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Well... the title on the chart in this article clearly says "Shipment Market Share"

So I would assume they mean the "Sell-in" to the channel... which are shipments from the manufacturer to the reseller.

The alternative is "Sell-though" which refers to consumers... which this chart is not showing.

As for warehouses... the joke is that no one wants Android phones so they just get locked up in a warehouse. (think Indiana Jones)

While funny... that can't be true. If Android phones were really piling up in warehouses... no reseller would be ordering more phones the next quarter.

But since Android phone shipments have been increasing every quarter... Android phones are, in fact, going home with consumers. (Only in rare cases do we hear reports of millions of unsold units being sent back to the manufacturer)

The one complication in Apple's case more than others is their own store system: where do units simply shipped to their own stores get recorded? That's an internal movement and wouldn't be a reasonable addition to units sent outside the company to independent resellers I would expect.

• Reply 77 of 82
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    The one complication in Apple's case more than others is their own store system: where do units simply shipped to their own stores get recorded? That's an internal movement and wouldn't be a reasonable addition to units sent outside the company to independent resellers I would expect.

I think when people say "sold" they mean "sold to consumer"

Anything prior to that would be considered "shipped"

At least that's my interpretation of this age-old argument :)

You're right... Apple Stores handle the "shipped to store" and "sold to consumer" within the same walls. The iPhone belongs to Apple until it is "sold" to the consumer.

Carriers, however, buy the iPhones from Apple to resell them in their own stores. Apple would record revenue when that transaction takes place. So technically... Apple has "sold" the iPhones to the carrier... but they're still in possession of the carrier and not in the hands of consumer yet.

People say nothing matters until the phones are "sold" to the consumer.

I can agree with that... yet all the analyst reports simply refer to shipments (which I assume is all the time before the consumer takes ownership)

It must be easier for these 3rd parties to track shipments rather than how many actually go home with consumers.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Have you noticed that whenever there are funny screenshots of text conversations, it's almost always from iOS?

I think it's a tie, with tongue-in-cheek humour

• Reply 79 of 82
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Have you noticed that whenever there are funny screenshots of text conversations, it's almost always from iOS?

I guess that could also say something about the keyboard...  O_o

• Reply 80 of 82

Of course the graph is correct since it's how many phones were "shipped" not "sold" or "active".  I wonder if they keep track of how many are returned from the retailer unsold?   I know a big box store had a bucketload of Samsung Intercept devices (along with others) that they couldn't sell over 3 years.  Android phones are the burner phone you buy when you travel internationally and want a phone with a local #, or the kid needs a phone for their walk home from school.  Traditionally I found one on a bar-room floor whenever I would go out with friends and no one was desperately looking for it.  I went from iPhone 3gs to android and had 3 android phones 1 for 3 months, 1 for 5 months, and 12 months and I cancelled my phone contract and went back to iPhone 4s and moved to the 5s end of last year.   For me Android users thought it was normal to have to jailbreak the phone to be able to use it with my Mac or PC or to update the OS because the cell provider took their sweet time rolling out updates.   Apps depended on what phone model you had not just the OS (which drove me nuts trying to find an email client to access a secure exchange server)  IOS may not be perfect, (and i detest "siri" with its lack of understanding) but compared to Android I am able to use it more effectively than I ever could use any of the droid versions.   It's my workhorse.  I am now off the soapbox.....:D