Sources: Apple's 2015 'iPhone 6s' models to gain Force Touch but no dual-camera system

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    If Jony and Apple wasn't obsessed with making the iPhone thinner, they wouldn't have had the camera sticking out the back. Could have even had better battery life
  • Reply 82 of 90
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I don't think the 5S is a good investment at all. It won't hold some special value or anything, it's obsolete and going to remain that way. 

Where do you get that the 5s is obsolete? Apple is currently selling it and will likely continue to sell and support it for at least one more year, and judging from past patterns, it will get a fully supported final OS update, extending its life for an additional 3rd year.

The ?Watch supports the 5s, and that is likely to remain true for the extent of its supported life. So what exactly is obsolete about it? It uses essentially the same radios as the 6 series (for all practical purposes), it's speed is more than adequate for the tasks it performs, and works with all of Apple's services. By your logic, the 6 is already obsolete because there are plans to release the 6s, so it's a bad investment. But on that point, what does whether the phone will "hold some special value" have anything to do with the relative investment worthiness of the 5s? This applies to 6 series as well. 

By comparison, the original iPhone is truly obsolete. Apple no longer supports it. It doesn't support any Apple services. It operates on an obsolete cellular network, it uses an all but obsolete data network, it's slow. It doesn't support many, if any current apps. The 5s has nothing in common with it. Yet you equate them with the same word. How is that possible?

• Reply 83 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Where do you get that the 5s is obsolete? Apple is currently selling it and will likely continue to sell and support it for at least one more year, and judging from past patterns, it will get a fully supported final OS update, extending its life for an additional 3rd year.

Currently selling has nothing to do with it. Technology that has been on the market for 365 days becomes obsolete. For example, the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are now both obsolete. /s

• Reply 84 of 90
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

Where did he say it was a mistake?

I don't think the 5S is a good investment at all. It won't hold some special value or anything, it's obsolete and going to remain that way. There is less demand for a 4" iPhone than most people think.

That term gets used incorrectly all the time. Obsolete, in this sense, should only refer to items that can't reasonable be used with the other current state of technology.

For example. Token Ring and AppleTalk are both obsolete networking technologies, but Ethernet isn't. I use this examsple because up until a few weeks ago I was still using on a daily basis an iMac from 2001 that only had 100 Base-T. I don't think anything has had less than GigE for close to a decade but Ethernet is still not obsolete even if it isn't as fast as newer Ethernet standards.

In terms of the 2013 iPhone, all the networking components are still currently used so it's not obsolete, all the HW is still being produced so it's not obsolete in terms of repair, all its HW is still near the top in performance and power efficiency so it's not obsolete in that sense, and its OS is still, not only supported by app vendors, but the most current available (which I can't say about that 2001 iMac) so it's not obsolete in that sense either. It's not the newest iPhone and it doesn't have all the features of the newest iPhone, but it's not obsolete.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    "Hey, Siri" is alright, but it's still not very natural to use, IMO.

The speed of response you see in this Amazon Echo video is not exaggerated. It also doesn't require one to speak as clearly as I have to with Siri. It's just all around faster and more intuitive than Siri has ever been.

[VIDEO]

It would be better if you could call Siri by a name of your own choosing. I imagine many would rather use "Miss Moneypenny" or "Scotty" or "Angelina" or whatever... ???? Heaven help those poor schmucks stuck with "Cortana"!
  • Reply 86 of 90
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    It would be better if you could call Siri by a name of your own choosing. I imagine many would rather use "Miss Moneypenny" or "Scotty" or "Angelina" or whatever... ????

"Yo, Bitch…"
  • Reply 87 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    "Yo, Bitch…"

Breaking Bad edition?
  • Reply 88 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It would be better if you could call Siri by a name of your own choosing. I imagine many would rather use "Miss Moneypenny" or "Scotty" or "Angelina" or whatever... ????

"Yo, Bitch…"

Or,

"Yo, Solip..."

• Reply 89 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I will.

It does, because you can use your iPhone and Mac in various ways to connect to it. Other than that it's a separate device that Apple doesn't compete with at all (at this point).

I think for Apple to really take the home seriously they need some radically new products. Myself (and many others on this site) want Apple to release an ?Home Server that will be your digital hub. I think it was about 3 years ago that Tim Cook said iTunes, as in the Mac/PC, is no longer the digital hub, and yet we still can't edit our music and movie content metadata in the Music and Movies apps on an iDevice, or access any iTunes Match content in iCloud. That means I still need iTunes as my digital hub.

I hate that I recently spent $500 on a Mac mini whose only job is to stream iTunes content to Macs, iDevices and an Apple TV in the house from a USB 3.0 connected 4x4TB RAID10 over GigE. My AirPort Extreme really should have an ARM chip with iOS being able to do all this for me. It could even be an actual separate system inside the AEBS that shows up on the network as another system with some extra ports in back for USB 3.0 and even a display. (But I think Apple could make it more clever than that by allowing this dedicated iTunes Server appliance be accessed via the GUI of the AirPort Utility or a separate utility.)

If not that, then into a new Apple TV design. It's already ARM and iOS so I don't think allowing for it to run what is effectively the iTunes Library and pull data directly from USB connected storage would be a major hurdle for Apple. That concept would be probably $199, and then you could buy how ever many satellite Apple TVs for $99 or less that would essentially pull from that main Apple TV acting as a digital hub. This could then further be used with other devices, similar to Amazon Echo for your home that can be used as a digital personal assistance.

PS: My other ideas for a revamped Apple TV is to have each family member be able to setup how they watch TV (i.e.: cable or sat content) and other content, as well as have the Apple TV learn their patterns. This way some that loves the Speed network isn't getting to get the Golf channel showing up in our now hundreds of channels of things we don't watch. Personalized for each view, which I'd ideally like to see get selected simply by picking up the Apple Remote which has Touch ID-like system to know who is in control of the TV at that moment. Could also be a way to block children from certain channels and viewing times automatically.

My guess is because it's essentially still in beta. Once it's sold to everyone without requesting an invite I think the regular sale page will be up and running. But it does seem suspect, and if I didn't have my anecdotal experience with it I would definitely think there is something fishy about their lack of user reviews.

I doubt Apple will go with a home server concept, as that's likely to be seen as too complicated by most people. I'm not even sure if they'll allow for external storage to be hooked up to the Apple TV. The simplest solution seems to be having the Apple TV as the hub, connected wirelessly to, and pulling data from, any authorized device on the network, or iCloud, while locally storing periodically updated lists of the files from the various sources to facilitate faster access when querying Siri. Hopefully this'll come with an Apple Home OS X/iOS app that will allow for enhanced/remote control respectively. I'd really like to hear your take on this, especially since you're already doing these things in varying capacities. I like the idea of having satellite Apple TV like devices, but I wonder if Apple will just treat Apple Watches as the satellite devices, querying the central Apple TV Siri wherever you are (that way you don't feel the need to take the Apple TV/Echo into the john with you).* :) I have a feeling that Apple's vision is for everyone to have an Apple Watch, on them during all waking hours, and that it will become the keystone to your digital life and (authenticated) identity.

Ah, I see. I didn't know it was in beta. Makes sense then that they haven't been promoting it much yet.

*I've been meaning to put up an iPhone/iPad shelf above the toilet paper in the john for a while, haven't gotten around to it yet though.

• Reply 90 of 90
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 810member
    At least Apple should make both have same resolution screens in the 6S! I like to have the full screen resolution of the 6 without the redrawing back down that is occurring now!