Samsung responds to iPhone 6 with premium metal & glass Galaxy S6, counters Apple Pay with Samsung P

1356711

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 206
    kevliu1980 wrote: »
    They mentioned tokenization and it's very likely they're using the exact same backend services with Mastercard and Visa.
    They almost certainly are. The only reason GW works the way it does is because the carriers blocked that method from them. The block seems to be lifted these days.
    Maybe. AMOLEDs aren't like LCDs in that higher res doesn't require more power. The newest Note screen actually drew less power than the previous 1080p screen. Combined with the 14nm finfet SOC, it could be fine.
    The Note 4 and Nexus 6 both have quad-HD displays and 3200 mAh batteries. The battery life is okay, but I wouldn't want to cut it by 20%.
  • Reply 42 of 206
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The S6 looks remarkably -- but unsurprisingly -- similar to the iPhone 6. At this point, it is in line with our expectations of Samsung.

    I predict Xioami will rip off the Edge in no time, and Samsung will be back to square one in competing for the low end.

    True. Xiaomi will have no problem cannibalizing both the low and "high end" of the Android phone market. Samsung will be once again "pantsed" in public.
  • Reply 43 of 206
    Though I have no intention of buying a Samsung, I note that they did one thing better than Apple: a 32GB base model as standard.

    MEMO TO PHIL SCHILLER: take note.

    Why? Are you in the market for a 32GB iPhone 6?
  • Reply 44 of 206
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post



    The S6 looks remarkably -- but unsurprisingly -- similar to the iPhone 6. At this point, it is in line with our expectations of Samsung.



    I predict Xioami will rip off the Edge in no time, and Samsung will be back to square one in competing for the low end.



    Xioami won't be able to rip off the Exynos 7420 and the Qualcom 810 seems to be a minor disaster in the making heat wise.  How exactly are they going to rip off the Edge?

  • Reply 45 of 206
    cpsro wrote: »
    Samsung also cloned the non-replaceable battery.

    And the protruding camera bump. But hey, it's only wrong when Apple does it.
  • Reply 46 of 206
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    SamPay - this'll go down well. All the security of Knox and Android. W *O* W !
  • Reply 47 of 206
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Samsung stated that it will not bend. Do you think we're going have a bunch of people purposely prove them wrong or is it only Apple, who stated no such thing as the evil doers here?

    Apple products suck. They have two-year old specs and are just mass marketed to sheep who don't run Linux or know how to root an Android phone. /s
  • Reply 48 of 206
    Apple products suck. They have two-year old specs and are just mass marketed to sheep who don't run Linux or know how to root an Android phone. /s

    Also, this will be the year of Linux.
  • Reply 49 of 206
    Looks like an iPhone with an inferior operating system for the same price. This phone will not sell unless they slash the price by about $200 in which case they will make no profit on them. That has been the harsh reality for Samsung for more than a year now. People are no longer fooled by flashy hardware. It is what inside that counts, otherwise Samsung, Nokia and Motorola would all be doing fine. But they aren't.

    Also Samsung faces a lot of competition from below. New much cheaper Android phones look and do almost the same thing, in the "just as good as" category with less that half the price tag.
  • Reply 50 of 206
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member

    Does the S6 run a complete 64-bit stack and 64-bit apps? Will it ever? What will the lag time be for receiving Android updates from Google? Will the S6 run Adobe Flash? Over time, doesn't everybody shrink the feature size of the chips used in their products? Doesn't AMOLED still burn through battery when displaying light colors? How close will the S6 need to be held to make sure all of the pixels are really there? Will Samsung still ship with a blow-out color profile to satisfy 2-year olds?

  • Reply 51 of 206
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,699member
    Though I have no intention of buying a Samsung, I note that they did one thing better than Apple: a 32GB base model as standard.

    MEMO TO PHIL SCHILLER: take note.

    The reason Samsung uses 32Gb as the base is because they are not efficient enough to run in less than that.

    Android + Samsung UI = Bloat ware.
  • Reply 52 of 206
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    carthusia wrote: »

    Besides the blatant industrial design rip off, the "Samsung Pay" moniker left me reeling. "Samsung Pay". Wow. They really think copying is competing, like that's how you compete-just copy.

    Actually yes, that would be an accurate statement.
  • Reply 53 of 206
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BJNflicks View Post



    This phone will not sell unless they slash the price by about $200

    A common marketing tactic is to set a high retail price and advertise huge discounts.

     

    Look for 2-for-1 deals on the S6!

  • Reply 54 of 206
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 584member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

     



    It wasn't a constant radius.




    The Nokia wasn't a constant radius either-no radii on the top and bottom edges.

  • Reply 55 of 206
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post



    Though I have no intention of buying a Samsung, I note that they did one thing better than Apple: a 32GB base model as standard.



    MEMO TO PHIL SCHILLER: take note.




    Why? Are you in the market for a 32GB iPhone 6?

     

     

    No.

     

    A 4" iPhone 6s? Mebbe.

  • Reply 56 of 206
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member

    I love how Samsung has just thrown all the features that it used to mock iPhones in the past, in the trash. It shows how little Samsung actually believes in these things, and in their ads, and how they're just temporary bullet points each time, with no real conviction or weight. Such an empty, dishonest company that goes the way the wind blows. 

     

    - Got rid of removable battery (used for wall-hugger attacks ads)

    - Got rid of waterproof feature (ice-bucket challenge attack ads)

    - God rid of SD slots

    - Moved headphone jack to bottom, just like iPhone

    - Trashed a bunch of touchwiz features that were previously the basis for attack ads

    - frame is almost identical to iPhone 6, in terms of material, curvature, arrangement of buttons, ports, and speaker grill, as well as antenna bands

    - Apple Pay = Samsung Pay. You can be sure that if Apple called it iPay, Samsung would have went with SPay, as per their previous brandings (Although Samsung Pay is based on ancient technology, and from the video the process looks hilariously awkward and convoluted)

    - Touch fingerprint reader instead of swiping, like Touch ID

     

    One can go on and on. You have to be reall intellectually dishonest, and a liar, not to acknowledge all this shamelessness, and the cloning of so many aspects of the newest iPhone's design direction, while doing a 360 on pretty much all the features Samsung has been advertising the last 5 years as differentiators. Yeah, you can be a troll like cnocbui, scour the thousands of phones that have been released, and post the cheap LOOK SPEAKER GRILLS EXISTED BEFORE THE IPHONE, LOOK AT THIS YELLOW LUMINA THAT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE IT FOR EVIDENCE, as if Apple uses the Lumia line, or any other line for design inspiration.

     

    But you will never, ever find an example of a manufacturer copying so many elements at the same time, from one other company (design, branding, naming convention, technologies, headphones, etc) and getting away with it. Nauseating. 

  • Reply 57 of 206
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

     



    Besides the blatant industrial design rip off, the "Samsung Pay" moniker left me reeling. "Samsung Pay". Wow. They really think copying is competing, like that's how you compete-just copy.




    If a lawsuit takes then years to reach a final verdict and the fines are pocket change then yes.. Just Copy™ seems to be effective strategy for Samsung and others.

  • Reply 58 of 206
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

     

    I love how Samsung has just thrown all the features that it used to mock iPhones in the past, in the trash. It shows how little Samsung actually believes in these things, and in their ads, and how they're just temporary bullet points each time, with no real conviction or weight. Such an empty, dishonest company that goes the way the wind blows. 

     

    - Got rid of removable battery (used for wall-hugger attacks ads)

    - Got rid of waterproof feature (ice-bucket challenge attack ads)

    - God rid of SD slots

    - Moved headphone jack to bottom, just like iPhone

    - Trashed a bunch of touchwiz features that were previously the basis for attack ads

    - frame is almost identical to iPhone 6, in terms of material, curvature, arrangement of buttons, ports, and speaker grill, as well as antenna bands

    - Apple Pay = Samsung Pay. You can be sure that if Apple called it iPay, Samsung would have went with SPay, as per their previous brandings (Although Samsung Pay is based on ancient technology, and from the video the process looks hilariously awkward and convoluted)

    - Touch fingerprint reader instead of swiping, like Touch ID

     

    One can go on and on. You have to be reall intellectually dishonest, and a liar, not to acknowledge all this shamelessness, and the cloning of so many aspects of the newest iPhone's design direction, while doing a 360 on pretty much all the features Samsung has been advertising the last 5 years as differentiators. Yeah, you can be a troll like cnocbui, scour the thousands of phones that have been released, and post the cheap LOOK SPEAKER GRILLS EXISTED BEFORE THE IPHONE, LOOK AT THIS YELLOW LUMINA THAT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE IT FOR EVIDENCE!. But you will never, ever find an example of a manufacturer copying so many elements at the same time, from one other company (design, branding, naming convention, technologies, headphones, etc) and getting away with it. Nauseating. 


     

     

    You have a thing for intellectual dishonesty, don't you, Slurpy? :)

     

    Well done for avoiding cursing; there's hope for you, yet.

     

    There's nothing I would like more than to see this new Samsung phone fail. I look forward to Apple surpassing their revenue this year.

  • Reply 59 of 206
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I love how Samsung has just thrown all the features that it used to mock iPhones in the past, in the trash. It shows how little Samsung actually believes in these things, and in their ads, and how they're just temporary bullet points each time, with no real conviction or weight. Such an empty, dishonest company that goes the way the wind blows. 

    - Got rid of removable battery (used for wall-hugger attacks ads)
    - Got rid of waterproof feature (ice-bucket challenge attack ads)
    - God rid of SD slots
    - Moved headphone jack to bottom, just like iPhone
    - Trashed a bunch of touchwiz features that were previously the basis for attack ads
    - frame is almost identical to iPhone 6, in terms of material, curvature, arrangement of buttons, ports, and speaker grill, as well as antenna bands
    - Apple Pay = Samsung Pay. You can be sure that if Apple called it iPay, Samsung would have went with SPay, as per their previous brandings (Although Samsung Pay is based on ancient technology, and from the video the process looks hilariously awkward and convoluted)
    - Touch fingerprint reader instead of swiping, like Touch ID

    One can go on and on. You have to be reall intellectually dishonest, and a liar, not to acknowledge all this shamelessness, and the cloning of so many aspects of the newest iPhone's design direction, while doing a 360 on pretty much all the features Samsung has been advertising the last 5 years as differentiators. Yeah, you can be a troll like cnocbui, scour the thousands of phones that have been released, and post the cheap LOOK SPEAKER GRILLS EXISTED BEFORE THE IPHONE, LOOK AT THIS YELLOW LUMINA THAT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE IT FOR EVIDENCE, as if Apple uses the Lumia line, or any other line for design inspiration.

    But you will never, ever find an example of a manufacturer copying so many elements at the same time, from one other company (design, branding, naming convention, technologies, headphones, etc) and getting away with it. Nauseating. 

    1) You can certainly look at it to say that Samsung has no conviction behind any of the crap they touted before, but you could also look at it as Samsung, for once, is actually attempting to build good HW with useful features.

    2) LOL I think you're dead on about Samsung would have called it Spay if Apple had called theirs iPay.
  • Reply 60 of 206
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,699member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    It uses NFC if it's available.

    Loop Pay uses magnetics to fake the reader out. not NFC yet even if the phone has NFC.
    The readers were not designed to work this way.
    A respectable technology company should not sell this crap.
Sign In or Register to comment.