Samsung responds to iPhone 6 with premium metal & glass Galaxy S6, counters Apple Pay with Samsung P

13468911

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 206
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    At this point, it is in line with our expectations of Samsung.

    My expectations didn't have Samsung making features better and making a phone that appears to be higher quality than previous models. This doesn't seem to be an iPhone-class device but I think they are getting closer to it, not moving away from it, like they had been.

    Based on what I've seen and read -- that is a very reasoned evaluation.
  • Reply 102 of 206
    sog35 wrote: »
    My 6+ has no case.

    The camera bump does not bother me at all. In fact it is very helpful to know what part of the phone is the top without looking at it.

    In the wild i have not heard a single person mention the bump, only here
    More like only him. I've never heard word-one about the camera
  • Reply 104 of 206
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Bob Barker would have liked SPay.

    "Don't forget to Samsung S-Pay and Nokia N-Euter your pets."

    Maybe they could do a deal where you get additional iCloud space with iTunes Match?

    I already feel I get my $25 worth for iTM but I think that would marvelous place for a value add service like additional iCloud storage for signing up. It's a yearly subscription and I would bet it would bring more users to the service than it would cost them in data storage, Tx/Rx.


    PS: I tried to make a move from Dropbox to iCloud Drive with one Automator Folder Action I use to sync a file from my MBP to my headless Mac mini. No go. I can easily use the Folder Action to copy it to iCloud Drive in a folder I made, but it doesn't want to sync it if it's not being told to do so by the apps that typically use iCloud Drive. Oh well, it's not like I was able to get rid of Dropbox had that worked well, I just wanted to be make it an all-Apple transfer.
  • Reply 105 of 206
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

     

    I see Bendgate in Samsung's future!


    Well, Samsung's crooked anyway...

  • Reply 106 of 206
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,105member
    It's ugly. Next.
  • Reply 107 of 206
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post



    1) I think it's more than just LoopPay. Don't their banking partners indicate that? If anything I think we should all be happy that another OEM is, once again, following Apple's lead.



    2) How will the magnetic strip be useless in a few months? I thought he chip and PIN support had to be in card readers, but that doesn't mean that magnetic swipe has to be removed from card readers.

     

    1) The only thing Samsung currently has is LoopPay and Google Pay.  I think it is renaming both as Samsung Pay.

     

    2) Everyone in the United States is mandated to have RFID Chipped Credit Cards by the end of 2015.  And Merchants are mandated to have RFID Card Readers  with optional NFC reading.  Magnetic strip readers will then be switched off.  

     

    Any Merchant who takes a magnetic strip reader charge from a customer is 100% LIABLE for fraud that the customer commits.  The banks will no longer take the loss.  With that in place, I seriously doubt any Merchant will take magnetic stripped cards.  They are dead in the water.

     

    Too bad for Samsung when this happens.

  • Reply 108 of 206
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xixo View Post



    Lost In Translation



    ApplePay:

    U.S._Bullion_Depository.jpg



    SamsungPay:

    know-gelatine-0510-s3-medium_new.jpg

     

     

    What people forget is that Samsung's Knox Security System was totally discredited as insecure.

  • Reply 109 of 206
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post





    My 6+ has no case.



    The camera bump does not bother me at all. In fact it is very helpful to know what part of the phone is the top without looking at it.



    In the wild i have not heard a single person mention the bump, only here



    Exactly.

     

    The iPhone camera bump is a ZERO issue.

  • Reply 110 of 206
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Magnetic strip readers will then be switched off.  

    Any Merchant who takes a magnetic strip reader charge from a customer is 100% LIABLE for fraud that the customer commits.

    How can the second be possible if the first happens? Do you not see how there is something wonky with your information? As already stated, I understand there is no requirement for them to turn off the magnetic strip readers as well as the liability date not being the same for all merchants.
  • Reply 111 of 206
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 442member
    krreagan wrote: »
    Here we go again. Samsung unable to innovate ...so just copies what Apple does ... Get a grip!

    Wow! When the hell will Samsung come out with an original idea in the smartphone space. Ok they introduced large phones. But tell me if that doesn't look like the iPhone 6. Oh and Samsung Pay. My gosh call it something else you pathetic copycat. Let's see they will sell some out the gate and then later on they will start going for $0 down with a free tablet just like their predecessor is doing now on AT&T. What a joke they are. After April or maybe now they will come out with the Samsung Watch. Simply sad.
  • Reply 112 of 206
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »
    My 6+ has no case.


    The camera bump does not bother me at all. In fact it is very helpful to know what part of the phone is the top without looking at it.


    In the wild i have not heard a single person mention the bump, only here


    Exactly.

    The iPhone camera bump is a ZERO issue.

    Except for Ive.
  • Reply 113 of 206
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 442member

    I think you've earned a spot on my block list.

    But, to humor you one last time, let's review: The corners of that phone are squared off, not curved. The headphone jack is not present along the bottom edge. And that bottom gives the impression of being flat (which a lot of WP's are.) 

    Trolling attempt failed. Bye bye!
    He's worse than a troll. He's a bleeding idiot.
  • Reply 114 of 206
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,416member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

     



    The Nokia wasn't a constant radius either-no radii on the top and bottom edges.


    Might be talking about curvature continuity, a G3 curve; 

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-uniform_rational_B-spline

     

    Much harder to manufacture than tangent curves, but look very organic.

  • Reply 115 of 206
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 584member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    "Don't forget to Samsung S-Pay and Nokia N-Euter your pets."

    I already feel I get my $25 worth for iTM but I think that would marvelous place for a value add service like additional iCloud storage for signing up. It's a yearly subscription and I would bet it would bring more users to the service than it would cost them in data storage, Tx/Rx.





    PS: I tried to make a move from Dropbox to iCloud Drive with one Automator Folder Action I use to sync a file from my MBP to my headless Mac mini. No go. I can easily use the Folder Action to copy it to iCloud Drive in a folder I made, but it doesn't want to sync it if it's not being told to do so by the apps that typically use iCloud Drive. Oh well, it's not like I was able to get rid of Dropbox had that worked well, I just wanted to be make it an all-Apple transfer.



    I'm in the same situation. It seems Apple needs to allocate the resources to make migrating from Dropbox easier. Having said that, Dropbox just works for me. That includes on iOS-Dropbox camera upload is super easy to use and I can see everything better with Carousel.

  • Reply 116 of 206
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member

    Android fans are going to march on the streets in protest of the Samsung S6.

     

    1. The Samsung S6 has NO REPLACEABLE BATTERY.   Shocker.  Samsung just removed one of the advantages of Android Phones.

     

    2. The Samsung S6 has NO MICRO-SD SLOT.  Shocker.  Samsung just removed an advantage of Android Phone to expand storage.

     

    3. The Samsung S6 has a SMALLER SCREEN than the iPhone 6 Plus.  Shocker.  Smaller is not better on Android phones.

     

    4. The Samsung S6 has NO WATERPROOFING. Shocker. 

     

    5. Samsung touts how they REMOVED SOFTWARE 40 FEATURES that were in the S5 when making the S6.  Shocker.  

     

    Android Fans are going to throw a FIT.

  • Reply 117 of 206
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 584member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

     

    Might be talking about curvature continuity, a G3 curve; 

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-uniform_rational_B-spline

     

    Much harder to manufacture than tangent curves, but look very organic.




    Yes. By this account, it would appear the Nokia phone evidences positional but not the curvature continuity of iPhone 6/6+.

  • Reply 118 of 206
    mubailimubaili Posts: 454member
    I do wonder if there is something the Apple iPhone community can do to stop Samsung or other companies from doing this kind blatantly copying. Should we have kickstarter crowdfunding campaign to take some ads on NYT and WSJ to call Samsung out on their shameless tactics. What Samsung has done is back companies like HTC, Xiaomi, Huawei into a corner and force them to copy too. This is very bad for the industry. we should all start to boycott other products from Samsung to force them.
  • Reply 119 of 206
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    N
    So $100 for doubling of storage, and you only get 32GB for $100 for going to 64GB, compared to the 48GB for $100 you get from Apple.
    1) I think it's more than just LoopPay. Don't their banking partners indicate that? If anything I think we should all be happy that another OEM is, once again, following Apple's lead.

    2) How will the magnetic strip be useless in a few months? I thought he chip and PIN support had to be in card readers, but that doesn't mean that magnetic swipe has to be removed from card readers.

    I understand that it's not mandated what changes is who is responsible for fraud. Without chip and pin the retailer/ acquirer is responsible for any fraudulent payments not the bank
  • Reply 120 of 206
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

     

     

    1) The only thing Samsung currently has is LoopPay and Google Pay.  I think it is renaming both as Samsung Pay.

     

    2) Everyone in the United States is mandated to have RFID Chipped Credit Cards by the end of 2015.  And Merchants are mandated to have RFID Card Readers  with optional NFC reading.  Magnetic strip readers will then be switched off.  

     

    Any Merchant who takes a magnetic strip reader charge from a customer is 100% LIABLE for fraud that the customer commits.  The banks will no longer take the loss.  With that in place, I seriously doubt any Merchant will take magnetic stripped cards.  They are dead in the water.

     

    Too bad for Samsung when this happens.


    You can still use a magnetic stripe card if your bank hasn't issued one. The merchants are not liable for it if the bank hasn't issued a chip card. Also, just to be clear, it is not RFID.

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mubaili View Post



    I do wonder if there is something the Apple iPhone community can do to stop Samsung or other companies from doing this kind blatantly copying. Should we have kickstarter crowdfunding campaign to take some ads on NYT and WSJ to call Samsung out on their shameless tactics. What Samsung has done is back companies like HTC, Xiaomi, Huawei into a corner and force them to copy too. This is very bad for the industry. we should all start to boycott other products from Samsung to force them.


    To be fair, HTC also licenses from Apple.

Sign In or Register to comment.