Apple's 'Shot on iPhone 6' campaign goes global with billboards, ad spaces

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2015
After launching its "Shot on iPhone 6" ad campaign on Sunday, works from Apple's "World Gallery" are now showing up on billboards, static ad spaces and in magazines in far flung locales around the globe.

Apple's new "Shot on iPhone 6" billboards went up on Monday. | Source: Julian Bialowas via Twitter

The worldwide ad blitz comes one day after Apple rolled out a special page on its website titled World Gallery, which shows off the iPhone's image capture capabilities by featuring some 60 photographs taken by iPhone 6 users. Instead of contracting proven artists, Apple harvested images from around the Web to create the "Shot on iPhone 6" collection.

One of the featured artists, photographer Julian Bialowas, recognized his work on an Apple billboard today and subsequently started a running list of cities where the ads are popping up. So far, "Shot on iPhone 6" ads have been spotted across the North and South America, Europe, the Middle East and East Asia.

Alongside large billboard installations and smaller venues like London's Tube, Apple's iPhone-centric ads are showing up in print publications.

As with most recent iPhone campaigns, "Shot on iPhone 6" throws a spotlight on apps, which in this case includes photography, videography and image editing software. The company's World Gallery webpage features numerous apps like VSCO Cam, Camera+">, Afterlight and more.

Those interested can check out Apple's "Shot on iPhone" App Store collection, which is designed to help iPhone owners get the most out of their equipment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Very classy. Just love being an Apple customer.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    You know what's hilarious? How Apple-bashers mock the megapixel level in the iPhone's camera. Yet, these are native iPhone photos printed on MASSIVE banners, bigger than anything anyone will print from their iPhones, and they look great. Throws the whole megapixel argument in the toilet.

Meanwhile, spec obsessed Apple-hating, basement dwelling neckbeards pretend as if the megapixel count is somehow not sufficient for their uses.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    This was my favourite photo. I'm glad I was able to get some information about how it came to be.

[INDENT][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/55979/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

[SIZE=5][B]L[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=4]ast December, when the Bay Area had one of its rare rainy days, Cielo de la Paz took her kids out to play. She’s an avid photographer, “willing to wake up at five in the morning and hike 10 miles to get that shot of the sunrise,” and when she saw the reflection of her red umbrella on the wet concrete, she knew she had a good one.

“It took a few shots,” she said, “this was the last one I took, I was finally happy with how the wind arranged the leaves for me.”

She edited the shot with Filterstorm Neue, uploaded the picture to Flickr (she was taking part in the photo365 challenge), where Apple found it.

Then, they put it on a billboard.[/INDENT][/SIZE]

[LIST][*] http://www.buzzfeed.com/brendanklinkenberg/apple-found-its-newest-billboards-on-the-internet (via [URL=http://daringfireball.net]Daring Fireball[/URL])
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 4 of 59
    And in the background a Wells Fargo billboard promoting Apple Pay.

This is a brilliant marketing campaign. Nothing like throwing cold water all over the GS6 launch and keeping the iPhone 6 in people's minds after the previous blockbuster quarter.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

This is a brilliant marketing campaign. Nothing like throwing cold water all over the GS6 launch and keeping the iPhone 6 in people's minds after the previous blockbuster quarter.

What's a GS6?

;) 

The iPhone 6 is an amazing device in every aspect. It practically markets itself!

• Reply 6 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm torn in that I think this is quite possibly the best billboard, bus-stop, magazine advertising campaign/idea I have ever seen in my life. It's beautiful. The level of beauty and simplicity of this campaign is something Steve would be proud of and I think he would give a charismatic special mention to it at the upcoming ? event.

But why I'm torn is I believe slightly more beautiful than this is what São Paulo did several years ago in banning all outdoor advertisements: it looks so visually-peaceful to the scences there knowing that no companies or products are vying for your emotional attention or dollars as you walk the streets, making the mere idea of such a thing remind one of the disconnect us humans have with one another on this planet.

I suppose a consolation is that at least Apple's ad campaign showcases some of the beauty of this world.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    The iPhone 6 is an amazing device in every aspect. It practically markets itself!

I think the brilliance of Apple's marketing team escapes you.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

These are beautiful and inspiring. Definitely more interesting to look at than a massive rendering of a phone with some shitty tagline. 

NEXT IS NOW. 

• Reply 9 of 59
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Do we know if some of these were taken with iPhone 6 or are they all 6 Plus?
  • Reply 10 of 59
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Do we know if some of these were taken with iPhone 6 or are they all 6 Plus?

I assumed it's a general reference to the iPhone 6 series. We may have to check metadata for the photos on Flickr and Instagram to see if any were iPhone 6 Plus, which I suspect is very likely.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Yo, those pictures don't impress me at all.

Those pictures are nothing compared to the amazing pictures that I can take with my Android phone. The camera on my Android phone is 15 megapixels! That's almost double as many as the iPhone 6 camera, and that also means that the pictures come out twice as good obviously, duh! Android would win every photo contest, just based on specs alone, because that's what counts!

I'm running a custom ROM version 2.1.8, made by some anonymous person who just might be a Russian hacker or maybe even a goat molesting member of ISIS, but I don't really care, because it was free, and that's what's important. Besides, who would ever want to hack me? I'm not a celebrity! Internet security is so overblown! Some people are so paranoid, especially Apple users! LOL

For my photographic uses, which usually consists of me taking candid upskirt photos of random women on the street, my Android phone camera suits me just fine. The pictures I take are real works of art. Apple users are a total joke.

The only limitation with my Android phone camera is that the response time is a bit slow, but as long as I can precisely anticipate what is going to happen about 5 seconds into the future from now, then that's not a problem at all. I just have to prepare in advance, and take extra care when taking pictures of fast moving objects, like a turtle.

The iPhone camera is so overrated. People only use it because they're sheep. 

Did I mention that my camera is 15 megapixels? And pictures look so nice on my over saturated pentile display. 

Did Apple invent photos? I didn't think so.

• Reply 12 of 59
    Those shots are good, but to be honest none of them are great photography. The optics are just not there, and phone cameras will never reproduce the quality of a real camera.
    I have nothing against a campaign like this, but I really hope they are not trying to sell iPhone as a camera for professional photographers. People will just laugh at Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by level1807 View Post

Those shots are good, but to be honest none of them are great photography. The optics are just not there, and phone cameras will never reproduce the quality of a real camera.

I have nothing against a campaign like this, but I really hope they are not trying to sell iPhone as a camera for professional photographers. People will just laugh at Apple.

Who cares about professional photographers? Compared to the hundreds of millions of people who buy phones, pro photographers are merely a tiny, microscopic group in numbers. 

I think that Apple is talking to the average person, and I think that the average person (who is not a pro photographer) does not need to own a separate camera anymore, because the iPhone camera is good enough for the uses of 99% of people.

• Reply 14 of 59

HAHAHA!! Printed media of all sizes and kinds drowning out Sam Scummy's new craptastic phone in a calliope of people talking about Apple's products !!!

Genius, pure genius. Even Sammy is talking about the iPhone in trying to boost their own crap-in-a-tin-box. Really, I was wondering how Apple would deal with Sammy's attempt to grab attention. This is better then I could imagine!!!
  • Reply 15 of 59
    apple ][ wrote: »
    level1807 wrote: »

Who cares about professional photographers? Compared to the hundreds of millions of people who buy phones, pro photographers are merely a tiny, microscopic group in numbers. 

I think that Apple is talking to the average person, and I think that the average person (who is not a pro photographer) does not need to own a separate camera anymore, because the iPhone camera is good enough for the uses of 99% of people.

You said it!!! Interestingly, it's not the professional equipment that is producing the overwhelming bulk of the photos being posted on Photography sites of every kind, it's the iPhone camera that rules them all. No one's laughing at Apple when the iPhone (especially the iPhone 6+) can capture multiple exposures in an instant and layer them for maximum effect.

Who wants to buy Sam Scummy's big pixel numbers when Apple's marriage of HW & SW out-performs HW only...! What an awesome ad campaign!!!
  • Reply 16 of 59
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Did Apple invent photos? I didn't think so.
    <p style="min-height:14px;"> </p>

Such insight. Can't wait for you next comment?
  • Reply 17 of 59
    level1807 wrote: »

No one's going to laugh at Apple, but I will micturate in your general direction and have a laugh at your expense...
  • Reply 18 of 59
    ireland wrote: »
    I'm torn in that I think this is quite possibly the best billboard, bus-stop, magazine advertising campaign/idea I have ever seen in my life. It's beautiful. The level of beauty and simplify of this campaign is something Steve would be proud of and I think he would give a charismatic special mention to it at the upcoming ? event.

But why I'm turn is I think slightly more beautiful than this is what São Paulo did several years ago in banning all outdoor advertisements: it looks so visually-emotionally peaceful to the scences there knowing that no companies or products are vying for your emotional attention or dollars as you walk the streets. Making the mere idea of such thing remind one of the disconnect us humans have with one another on this planet.

I suppose a consolation is that at least Apple's ad campaign showcases some of the beauty of this world.

Yes... We, in the USA are subject to 30,000 to 300,00 ad messages per DAY. It may be as small at the brand sticker on the car ahead of you in traffic, or the car dealership's sticker. Even the license plate has a state message. All these competing messages overwhelm our mind's filter.
  • Reply 19 of 59

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, the world and some of its people are indeed beautiful!

• Reply 20 of 59
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I only wish the Apple Logo and "Shot on an iPhone 6" tag lines were bigger and bolder on these billboards.

A casual observer or a driver on the highway wouldn't know that these are Apple ads.