What to expect at Apple's 'Spring Forward' event on Monday

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Is there a remote possibility of Apple doing a "One more thing...", and that one more thing being >1 day of battery life?

Absolutely.  We (posters, bloggers, analysts, etc.) have all missed it - and it's right there in the event title:  "Spring Forward"....

....the Watch is going to sport a fine mechanical auto-charging mechanism capturing the user's wrist motions, and the oscillations of that will generate a small current trickle-charging a smallish battery (whose small size will leave the room for the aforesaid bit of neo-retro kit)... ...basically employing the same principle as many non-electrical auto-winding watches have used to wind a spring for decades.... 

...so the battery only needs enough storage to power the (basically inactive) watch during periods when the user's inactive for long periods.

And with no off-board charging required, max "green" to boot (no fossil generated electricity needed ever).... ...also gives analogically fixated horological freaks a life preserver of traditional watch-making to hang onto....  ...NTM providing some wonderful close up video footage for a J. Ives rhapsodic voiceover about its incredible ruby-mounted precision and new high-tech piezo-electrical materials.... ...it's truly all bases covered....!!

...and so....

....the venerable "spring" movement brought "forward"... ...even as Apple prepares to devour and remake the whole venerable fine watch industry as it has others.....

...a fitting tip of the hat to tradition, wouldn't you say? 

[....the weirdest thing would be if this bit of idle OTT fantasizing actually turned out to be anything like the truth, haha...]

• Reply 82 of 97
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Is there a remote possibility of Apple doing a "One more thing...", and that one more thing being >1 day of battery life?

Nooo ... It's "One more thing ... ?Plane!" 8-)
  • Reply 83 of 97
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Nooo ... It's "One more thing ... ?Plane!" 8-)

And have a hologram of this guy.

• Reply 84 of 97
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    charlituna wrote: »
    So far there is nothing to suggest a reason for wearing it at night so take it off when you go to bed, put it on all charged up in the morning. 

That's not true! The silent alarm - no buzzing, no vibration - just a tapping on your wrist is one of the features we are looking forward to the most! I have to wake up for work several hours before my wife does. Wearing the Apple watch overnight and waking up to a tap means my wife no longer has to have her sleep interrupted when my alarm goes off!
  • Reply 85 of 97
    tenly wrote: »
    charlituna wrote: »
    So far there is nothing to suggest a reason for wearing it at night so take it off when you go to bed, put it on all charged up in the morning. 

That's not true! The silent alarm - no buzzing, no vibration - just a tapping on your wrist is one of the features we are looking forward to the most! I have to wake up for work several hours before my wife does. Wearing the Apple watch overnight and waking up to a tap means my wife no longer has to have her sleep interrupted when my alarm goes off!

That sounds very useful.

I never wore a watch at night; nice to be rid of it. But I can see its help for you. Having said that, I'm sorry she doesn't get up to make you breakfast. She could always go back to bed afterwards!
  • Reply 86 of 97
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    So much for obsessing over product. It'll be more fun Monday when Angela Ahrendts takes her first star turn onstage. She'll flounce her honey-colored locks a couple times and the nerds in the crowd will drool uncontrollably. Now I ask you, who would you rather have sell you that watch - Tim, Jony or Angela?!

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/56296/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 87 of 97
    kibitzer wrote: »
    So much for obsessing over product. It'll be more fun Monday when Angela Ahrendts takes her first star turn onstage. She'll flounce her honey-colored locks a couple times and the nerds in the crowd will drool uncontrollably. Now I ask you, who would you rather have sell you that watch - Tim, Jony or Angela?!

Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 88 of 97
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    tenly wrote: »
    Guess that means you'll have to charge your watch during the day, so you will be able to wear it overnight. So when won't you need the watch everyday during the day?
  • Reply 89 of 97
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Steve Jobs.

Angela any day! I will simply reverse the situation and imagine her naked!
  • Reply 90 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wizard69 wrote: »

Blocked for most juvenile and tasteless post of the day.
  • Reply 91 of 97
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member

Interesting. Gruber's final pricing prediction:

http://watchaware.com/post/6307/john-grubers-final-apple-watch-pricing-predictions

I agree this would be hugely disappointing.

• Reply 92 of 97
    wizard69 wrote: »

Yes, your post is adolescent and junior high locker-roomish, but SpamSandwich is really upset when he thinks about Angela's reaction if she imagines HIM naked! :D
  • Reply 93 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    kibitzer wrote: »
    Yes, your post is adolescent and junior high locker-roomish, but SpamSandwich is really upset when he thinks about Angela's reaction if she imagines HIM naked! :D

Blocked for idiocy.
  • Reply 94 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Blocked for idiocy.

More likely blocked because you can't take a joke. Hmm?

• Reply 95 of 97
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    eightzero wrote: »
    Interesting. Gruber's final pricing prediction:

http://watchaware.com/post/6307/john-grubers-final-apple-watch-pricing-predictions

I agree this would be hugely disappointing.

Those prices look way off to me. Why would a leather band be $450 more than a standard buckle? Leather doesn't cost anywhere near that much. When the Watch was announced, I assumed the steel one would be the base model because it didn't have a specific demographic like the sport one but it has sapphire on it. Even so, I would assume a small premium on top of the sport model e.g:

Sport - $349, ion-X glass, aluminium
    Steel - $499-599, sapphire, stainless steel

I doubt the straps will be limited per model because they'd have the same attachment so you'd be able to get them from 3rd party resellers anyway. I don't think any of the straps will cost over $99 except the gold buckle one.

That just leaves the gold watch to price, which could be anything between $999-9,999. I think the gold one will be priced much lower than $5k. Prices between $1-2k don't allow much room to adjust for the price of gold changing but $2-3k does and the price of gold looks like it's falling so their margins could end up being huge even at that price and they'd hit a larger market volume. I'd be surprised if they priced it above $3k. The gold buckle strap I'd expect to be about $199-299. There's some at the following site priced around $300, the cheapest 18K is $290 but these are marked up through resellers where Apple sells direct to the buyer:

http://www.exoticwatchbands.com/gold_silver_stainless_steel_watch_buckles.htm

The only strap limitation I can see is limiting the gold buckle one to the gold watch because it doesn't match the others but again, it should be available via resellers.
  • Reply 96 of 97
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Steve Jobs.

Soopry, not a Walking Dead fan.

• Reply 97 of 97
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Guess that means you'll have to charge your watch during the day, so you will be able to wear it overnight. So when won't you need the watch everyday during the day?

Evenings at home while cooking all that extra food for your overnight intruders? Nothing crunchy, of course, so they won't wake you up when they creep in to steal your watch.....