Apple looks to 'reinvent the notebook' with all-new 12" MacBook with Retina display

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 169
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

This is an amazing machine, but some things bother me:

1. Why resort to a crappy camera and a slow processor just to have your thinness?

2. Same for ports. They could have added one extra port. How hard is that?

3. If you are not going to add ports, why not offer a cheaper dongle? Or offer it with the machine? (We know they will never let that happen - it's giving up easy money.

So, there is your tax for thinness: crappy camera, slow processor and a extra dongle a lot of people will have to buy. And lots of people have USB drives.

This is just stupid. They are extreme where Dell and others are less daring, but reasonable with good hardware that might weigh a little more, but actually be practical.

Apple: If someone spend $1300+ for a computer, could you make it practical and smart? Why the crappy camera? And so on.

• Reply 162 of 169
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

3. If you are not going to add ports, why not offer a cheaper dongle? Or offer it with the machine? (We know they will never let that happen - it's giving up easy money.

They definitely should have included a USB-C to USB-A adaptor in the box. I wouldn't be surprised if this is just quietly added after the first month or so of sales, with no fanfare.

• Reply 163 of 169
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Even up to 2008, Apple had a DVI-VGA adapter in the box of every MacBook Pro. I don’t get the change, either.

• Reply 164 of 169
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Even up to 2008, Apple had a DVI-VGA adapter in the box of every MacBook Pro. I don’t get the change, either.
    In 2008 they also had their restore image on an optical disc. Things have changed dramatically since then. This machine is clearly for people that only need to plug in for power 99.9% of the time.
  • Reply 165 of 169
    solipsismy wrote: »
    In 2008 they also had their restore image on an optical disc. Things have changed dramatically since then. This machine is clearly for people that only need to plug in for power 99.9% of the time.

If they need to plug in for power 99.9% of the time, then they should have kept the MagSafe.
  • Reply 166 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

So what do you think (not necessary predict) may be Apple solution for future MBs? Personally, I'd like both sides to have USB-C and I don't care how they do it. I think the 3.5mm jack can also stay, but I say can it so long as we get a port on each side. The new Chrome Pixel has that setup and you can charge from easier side. i've waited that since I started using a notebook, but now it can be practical.

I think USB-C on both sides is almost a dead cert (though would you be able to charge from both of them?), Thunderbolt is reasonably likely, SD or micro-SD a possibility, and HDMI (or mini HDMI) an outside bet.  Plus, in two years there could be something new, or maybe Apple will bring Lightning to the Mac (I doubt this, has few advantages over USB and little of the ecosystem).

Mostly I'd just bet on 2 x USB though.

• Reply 167 of 169
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    crowley wrote: »
    I think USB-C on both sides is almost a dead cert (though would you be able to charge from both of them?), Thunderbolt is reasonably likely, SD or micro-SD a possibility, and HDMI (or mini HDMI) an outside bet.  Plus, in two years there could be something new, or maybe Apple will bring Lightning to the Mac (I doubt this, has few advantages over USB and little of the ecosystem).

Mostly I'd just bet on 2 x USB though.

1) Charging from both sides isn't an issue. Note the Chrome Pixel.

2) I don't think TB, any SD variant, or HDMI will show up.

3) I don't see Lighting coming to the Mac at this point. In fact, I can see Lightning being replaced by USB-C.
  • Reply 168 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

^ why so formal?