Fast, luxurious & sensible: What the personal vehicles of Apple execs could mean for an Apple Car

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chelin View Post

Funny British cars are just a tad bit more crappy than american cars. They are more appealing to the eye though, but engineering-wise they suffer from the same incapability of building vehicles that seems to be due to the English language.

When it doesn't start...that's how you know it's English! :)

• Reply 22 of 106
    zoetmb wrote: »
    I think Apple has got to be careful - people tend to think that wherever they are represents "normalcy" and Apple's execs are certainly not "normal" -- they're quite rich beyond the dreams of 99% (or more) of consumers. So if they produce products for themselves, those might be products that the majority of consumers either don't relate to or can't afford (unless Apple's objective is to create the equivalent of their highest-end Watch in a car - something only for the elite.)

Furthermore, how credible can one be when you claim to want to do things to support the environment when you drive a 12-cylinder, 400-horsepower car? What does it get - 5 mpg?

Having said that, I do think that most car design today is quite awful and most Japanese and European cars really look no different and don't have any better finishes than American cars. And the Japanese have certainly lost their former reputation for high quality cars with all the recent recalls, etc. While I'll admit to not being a big car person, there isn't one non-esoteric car out there that I look at and say to myself, "I have to have that".

That's where Apple might excel if they are indeed getting into the car business (which I still don't happen to believe) - they could produce an incredibly elegant car at a theoretically affordable price because great body design doesn't necessarily mean a higher manufacturing cost.

Too true.

The Golden Age of Cars happened many decades ago, when cars had oodles of character and charm. It's a shame that we've lost that today, or at least, the car designers have.
  • Reply 23 of 106
    magman1979 wrote: »
    gerry g wrote: »
    well there you have it, if you want to be able to change the battery you'll buy an Android one, but if you really feel you can't live without a unicorn mascot on your bonnet (beaten gold) go with Apple.
    Get the **** out you god damned fucking idiot troll!

I’ll take his dry humour over your childish and foul-mouthed post any day.
  • Reply 24 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Maybe we should go back and look to the personal phones of these execs to give us insight on the iPhone? No, because that would be equally stupid.
  • Reply 25 of 106
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    One old senior troll coming to the defense of a newbie troll, how cute...

Dipshits like you and him won't garner anything more than what you're already receiving from me, because you don't deserve any better.
  • Reply 26 of 106
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I doubt Apple will go the same way as Tesla and make big cars. Seeing how, according to AI, Ive is taking interest in Fiat cars, I wouldn't be surprised if the Apple car was a small to medium car, with comfortable looking rounded forms. This project must be fascinating for Apple's designers.
  • Reply 27 of 106

Other than the Camry, I can guarantee you the reliability of all these cars are crap. Insert reference about iCloud here.

• Reply 28 of 106
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">.... BMW 5 Series. The 5 Series is a 4-door sedan that has long been the car of choice for stock brokers, lawyers, and middle managers who want to have some fun but occasionally need to shuttle the kids to soccer practice.</span>

WTF?

That hurts....

There, there…. ultimate driving machine, ultimate driving machine…. it's all better :p
  • Reply 29 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Oh, how cute, BF comes out as a shining white night to defend the new troll, with his recent 2 posts being the following. Hey, at least now we know you have at least 1 core principle, which is to defend and support other trolls at all costs. 

Quote:

Apple are total dickheads, iChat rocks but do I use it to communicate with fellow co workers no because they have to work with windows based clients all day and they need cross platform interactivity so we use Skype, on my iPhone do I use iChat to text no because half the people I text are on Android so I use WhatsApp. How can the worlds biggest mobile phone maker not get this, they could own this market if they went cross platform.

Quote:

well there you have it, if you want to be able to change the battery you'll buy an Android one, but if you really feel you can't live without a unicorn mascot on your bonnet (beaten gold) go with Apple.

Yeah, how that's battery swapping thing working out with all the new Android flagship Phones? S6, Edge 6 Edge, HTC, Nexus, LG, etc. Guess you didn't get that memo that that shitty line of attack is pretty obsolete. 

• Reply 30 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Who doesn't like a high end luxury car? Apple execs can afford any car they fancy but does that mean Apple would produce a high end luxury car?    :no:     Exactly - it makes no sense. What could Apple bring to that market? These cars sell on driving specs or luxury, neither of which are directly related to technology. A cheap Google type car intended for use in urban areas is all about technology and disruption. Apple could arguably do both in one package but they would need several models. Personally I can't see it. If anything I lean towards the Apple Volkswagen - the future car for the masses. But even that I have a hard time believing.
  • Reply 31 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Who doesn't like a high end luxury car? Apple execs can afford any car they fancy but does that mean Apple would produce a high end luxury car?    image     Exactly - it makes no sense. What could Apple bring to that market? These cars sell on driving specs or luxury, neither of which are directly related to technology. A cheap Google type car intended for use in urban areas is all about technology and disruption. Apple could arguably do both in one package but they would need several models. Personally I can't see it. If anything I lean towards the Apple Volkswagen - the future car for the masses. But even that I have a hard time believing.

Good points, Pax. I lean towards the "Apple VW" concept, too.  (Za "people'z car.") 

Maybe. :)

Best

• Reply 32 of 106
    paxman wrote: »
    Who doesn't like a high end luxury car? Apple execs can afford any car they fancy but does that mean Apple would produce a high end luxury car?    :no:     Exactly - it makes no sense. What could Apple bring to that market? These cars sell on driving specs or luxury, neither of which are directly related to technology. A cheap Google type car intended for use in urban areas is all about technology and disruption. Apple could arguably do both in one package but they would need several models. Personally I can't see it. If anything I lean towards the Apple Volkswagen - the future car for the masses. But even that I have a hard time believing.

My thoughts, too.

I'm sure Apple could design a pleasing car, and I imagine it would be most similar to a kind of Volkswagen. But could they really differentiate enough? I have my doubts. It's not like everyone hates their cars, like we all hated our mobile phones before the iPhone. For me, Volkswagen pretty well are the Apple of cars.
  • Reply 33 of 106
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

One old senior troll coming to the defense of a newbie troll, how cute...

Dipshits like you and him won't garner anything more than what you're already receiving from me, because you don't deserve any better.

Still at school I see.

• Reply 34 of 106
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    IF self driving cars become ubiquitous then I don't believe folks will own cars anymore. Transportation will "be a service", whereby you order your vehicle of choice (maybe a nicer one for an evening out, or a larger capacity for hauling the kids to the soccer game, or even a truck or van for moving/hauling). It will come and pick you up, deliver you, and then await your return requests to take you home (perhaps self parking itself or running other errands for other clients instead of parking and waiting). There will be specialized cars for city driving versus urban and rural, all of which will tie into municipal transportation options (such long haul buses, trains, planes) providing seamless long distance and even international travel.

All extremely efficient, safe, reliable, and not unlike a software service on demand.

I, however, will die before I give up my two classic Porsches and the freedom to run the open roads.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Oh, how cute, BF comes out as a shining white night to defend the new troll, with his recent 2 posts being the following. Hey, at least now we know you have at least 1 core principle, which is to defend and support other trolls at all costs. 

Yeah, how that's battery swapping thing working out with all the new Android flagship Phones? S6, Edge 6 Edge, HTC, Nexus, LG, etc. Guess you didn't get that memo that that shitty line of attack is pretty obsolete. 
    Is that really such a surprise? We both know who and what he is, and also Gatorguy is another prime example. Try calling him or other's like him out around here, and you get a mod breathing down your back, how quaint... I guess clickbait and page clicks matter more around here these days, so they need the trolls to stay...
  • Reply 36 of 106
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

IF self driving cars become ubiquitous then I don't believe folks will own cars anymore. Transportation will "be a service", whereby you order your vehicle of choice (maybe a nicer one for an evening out, or a larger capacity for hauling the kids to the soccer game, or even a truck or van for moving/hauling).

I don't think that concept fits in with the average American lifestyle. Americans like to fill up their houses, garages, and cars with lots of stuff. What you are proposing would require a major change in the American consumer mindset.

• Reply 37 of 106
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

"Either way, it probably won't be a minivan."

I disagree! at least in part...

If you make the assumption that it will be self-driving which is a no-brainer in my book. The the "sport" aspect will not impact it's design or at best only on a specific sport model but not on most.

Apples entry will be in > 5 years, most likely closer to 10 years off, so their self-driving vehicles will not be the at the head of the pack. Apple has a way of obsoleting items it perceives as unnecessary or redundant (floppy, cd-rom...). In this case I suspect Apple will consider the human driver an unnecessary, redundancy and only include human controls if required by law.

In this case, I would suspect that a "mini-van" configuration would be best as the human occupants would be consuming media of all types and doing work, ie. not paying attention to the road. Think mobile living room. This would put a premium on space and not "sports".

While I love, love, love to drive! Even in the mountains and snow of Colorado, as a parent of three kids either driving or getting their permits, I can't wait until self-driving cars are the norm, I loose too much sleep at night with my kids out and about in a car... Go Apple!

I disagree with your assumption that self-driving (and self-crashing) cars will be the norm in 10 years, especially in snowy conditions. The only way to make self-driving cars safe is to put them on a series of tracks forcing them to run like the cars at Disney Land years ago. Police won't ever have self-driving cars and the road infrastructure will never be such that self-driving cars will operate on anywhere near 100% of the roads anytime soon. I don't car how good companies make them look, artificial intelligence will never be able to drive multiple vehicles in a safe manner allowing the occupants to change where they want to go at a moments notice. Computers can't operate as instantaneously as the human brain (look it up). I will be driving my vehicles until my kids take the keys away. I will never get into a car running Android and will not buy a car running any of the crazy Microsoft operational and entertainment software for obvious reasons. 

btw: I have two grown daughters and both have been in minor accidents and they now drive much better than before the accidents. 

• Reply 38 of 106
    rob53 wrote: »
    krreagan wrote: »
    "Either way, it probably won't be a minivan."

I disagree! at least in part...

If you make the assumption that it will be self-driving which is a no-brainer in my book. The the "sport" aspect will not impact it's design or at best only on a specific sport model but not on most.

Apples entry will be in > 5 years, most likely closer to 10 years off, so their self-driving vehicles will not be the at the head of the pack. Apple has a way of obsoleting items it perceives as unnecessary or redundant (floppy, cd-rom...). In this case I suspect Apple will consider the human driver an unnecessary, redundancy and only include human controls if required by law.

In this case, I would suspect that a "mini-van" configuration would be best as the human occupants would be consuming media of all types and doing work, ie. not paying attention to the road. Think mobile living room. This would put a premium on space and not "sports".

While I love, love, love to drive! Even in the mountains and snow of Colorado, as a parent of three kids either driving or getting their permits, I can't wait until self-driving cars are the norm, I loose too much sleep at night with my kids out and about in a car... Go Apple!
    I disagree with your assumption that self-driving (and self-crashing) cars will be the norm in 10 years, especially in snowy conditions. The only way to make self-driving cars safe is to put them on a series of tracks forcing them to run like the cars at Disney Land years ago. Police won't ever have self-driving cars and the road infrastructure will never be such that self-driving cars will operate on anywhere near 100% of the roads anytime soon. I don't car how good companies make them look, artificial intelligence will never be able to drive multiple vehicles in a safe manner allowing the occupants to change where they want to go at a moments notice. Computers can't operate as instantaneously as the human brain (look it up). I will be driving my vehicles until my kids take the keys away. I will never get into a car running Android and will not buy a car running any of the crazy Microsoft operational and entertainment software for obvious reasons. 

btw: I have two grown daughters and both have been in minor accidents and they now drive much better than before the accidents. 

One of the most sensible posts to have graced the Apple Insider forums.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

WTF?

That hurts....

That's funny.  I'm a lawyer and told my wife I guess I need to get a BMW 5 Series.

• Reply 40 of 106
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, the extra bit of editorializing was wholly unnecessary. The late-1990's 5 Series used to be a great car.

Try F10 535D and you'll know.