Two-thirds of Apple Pay users running into problems at checkout, survey claims

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The survey of about 3,000 people, obtained by Bloomberg, noted that 66 percent of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners...Almost half of that group, however, is said to have visited a store listed as an Apple Pay partner but discovered that the location wasn't accepting the platform, at least at the time.

Among the problem group, 48 percent said it took too long to process a transaction...

I call foul. I have found it works at all the retailers I use save one (Kolache Shop -- there equipment is so old you have to hand crank it to start it up) and that one was broken. It would be interesting to see a bit more about the demographics and the rest of the so-called survey used. I have to believe this is one of those cases where 'figures don't lie but liars sure know how to figure'.

• Reply 102 of 123
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I used it at Whole Foods at least 10 times and it never asked for a Pin or signature

It must be the bank. My Apple Pay runs through my Bank of America card. 

Yours? 

• Reply 103 of 123
    technotechno Posts: 737member

I wish they would launch in Canada. We already have the POS terminals at almost every merchant. The transition would be so easy and it would be adopted much quicker

• Reply 104 of 123
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    Had too many issues with it - used primarily at Whole Foods and Walgreen's. As one poster noted, it is far easier to just use plastic, even more so when it involves a rewards card. For me it was more troublesome than worth the effort. I always have my plastic.

One thing Apple totally missed is the merchants. They concentrated on the card holders (financial institutions) and neglected the "stores". Training, new equipment, advertising, etc... all cost money with no return on investment to the merchant. looks more like Apple wanted to "force" the merchants into a partnership.

btw: I cringed when I saw a lady drop her 6 onto the floor at Whole Foods while trying Apple Pay.
  • Reply 105 of 123
    I use my contactless debit card in the UK (no Apple Pay here yet) almost every day. I'd say it doesn't work a couple of times a month. In my experience it's the retailer's equipment not my card at fault. Usually the cashier will say "Oh that hasn't been working all day" or similar. Had the occasional card clash problem, twice with Oyster. I also still see people frantically waving their card back and forth over the readers instead of holding it still for a couple of seconds! No matter what payment method you use, sometimes they'll be problems. Staff training is key.
  • Reply 106 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I call foul. I have found it works at all the retailers I use save one (Kolache Shop -- there equipment is so old you have to hand crank it to start it up) and that one was broken. It would be interesting to see a bit more about the demographics and the rest of the so-called survey used. I have to believe this is one of those cases where 'figures don't lie but liars sure know how to figure'.

Don't jump to conclusions.  I have had mine fail frequently at "reputable" merchants.  Never could establish if it was the device or the reader or the merchant or the .... Plastic just works.  You may be one of the 33%+ who have no issue.  Nice.  

• Reply 107 of 123
    mr4jsmr4js Posts: 55member
    I use %uF8FFPay all the time and have had no issues with it, works great.
  • Reply 108 of 123
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    In rural South Georgia, I have still not found a store where Apple Pay will work successfully. It has been quicker to use the card which works overtime.
  • Reply 109 of 123
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Yet another fluff piece by a marketing firm, sampling only 6000 customers out of how many millions of customers who now own an iPhone 6?

The whole point of "sampling" is to draw inferences about the population without actually polling everybody. If the sampling is done correctly, the total number of iPhone 6 owners is irrelevant.

• Reply 110 of 123

I'd guess that at least ? of people paying with a credit card have had "problems" at checkout with the traditional magnetic swipe card readers, including millions of shoppers at Target and Home Depot who had their credit card numbers stolen.

• Reply 111 of 123
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member

I wonder is Apple gets any feedback information when there is a problem?  It would be nice to see Apple putting heat on vendors who don't hold up their end.

• Reply 112 of 123
    castcorecastcore Posts: 141member
    If u cannot properly use Apple pay , I can only conclude you are just too stupid. Harsh but true. I see way too many people trying to quiz the cashier, asking questions etc. Don't be an idiot, if u see nfc reader, just USE IT!
  • Reply 113 of 123
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

I've used ApplePay at Panera Bread and The Home Dept and didn't have issues. I actually found it quicker then having to pull out my wallet and find my credit card.

• Reply 114 of 123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by castcore View Post

If u cannot properly use Apple pay , I can only conclude you are just too stupid. Harsh but true. I see way too many people trying to quiz the cashier, asking questions etc. Don't be an idiot, if u see nfc reader, just USE IT!

Conclusion?  Based on your above statement I would "conclude" you are under-educated, have an IQ somewhere south of 100 and use a flip-phone.  Your statement is more of a w.a.g..

• Reply 115 of 123
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    welshdog wrote: »
    I wonder is Apple gets any feedback information when there is a problem?  It would be nice to see Apple putting heat on vendors who don't hold up their end.
    The root of the problem is there's little incentive for many of the retailers to invest in repair/maintenance, new equipment or employee training. The retailers don't get any monetary benefits from Apple Pay, Google Wallet or any of the other NFC-enabled payment methods. The only money made from it flows thru the service provider, for instance Apple, and the banks/CC issuers. None of it is shared with the retailers making the sale.

I doubt few if any of the brick and morters are even seeing increased sales because they accept Apple Pay or any other NFC payment method.
  • Reply 116 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I would expect minimal feedback from users. .... expectations / perceptions.  

I have a 6+, a co-worker has a 6.  We live on opposite sides of the country though I frequently travel to that location.  

After reading this article and comments I asked him how Apple Pay is REALLY working for him. "It works most of the time.  Sometimes I have to repay or get out the debit card ..".  For him, the fact it doesn't always work is not an issue.  He has a "mostly works" expectation and his perception is that is works just fine.  He would never provide any negative feedback.

I'm on the opposite side.  I want easy.  I want it to work well and work well repeatedly.  For me having Apple Pay fail to work (no matter the reason) consistently is a fail.  My expections are higher and it doesn't meet this criteria.  For me it doesn't work.  I would likely provide feedback IF I felt it would be to a receptive audience.  My perception: Apple is seldom receptive.

So I have to ask all those posting: does it meet your expectations?  

• Reply 117 of 123
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rhonin View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Don't jump to conclusions.  I have had mine fail frequently at "reputable" merchants.  Never could establish if it was the device or the reader or the merchant or the .... Plastic just works.  You may be one of the 33%+ who have no issue.  Nice.  

I didn't feel like I was jumping, maybe a hop or a skip but certainly not a jump! Funny thing, this AM I had my first ever problem with ApplePay @ one of the places I use it the most -- Walgreens.

I picked up some scripts at the pharmacy and used my iPhone 6 plus without issue -- however on the way out I noticed something else I wanted to purchase so I decided to pay for it at the front cashier stand. First try did not work, 2nd did -- the one difference is how/where they had mounted the reader. The one on the way out was at an awkward angle and I held my phone further away, the one at the pharmacy is very easy to reach and I tend to actually touch one corner to the arc of LED's at the top to make sure my thumb or finger is position right. (BTW: I did get a message after the failed read saying, "Try again. Hold iPhone closer to reader." (paraphrase actually).

So, one of the conclusions I draw from this very scientific study (with a sample of one) is that maybe a fair amount of failures just has to do with how we hold the iPhone -- OMG not antennaGate again ¡ 

• Reply 118 of 123
    lee493lee493 Posts: 22member
    I've had no problem with it anywhere (except CVS of course, but I'm avoiding shopping there now. Some places still make me sign off or have extra prompts.
  • Reply 119 of 123
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

The spammers are stepping up to the plate.

New scam I just received via e-mail:

These people need to die in a fire.

• Reply 120 of 123
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

It must be the bank. My Apple Pay runs through my Bank of America card. 

Yours? 

BofA's signup was more involved than AMEX so I wouldn't be surprised. They got very wonky last Summer over gas station purchases (I almost got trapped at a Yosemite station that was after hours and I REALLY needed a fillip, thank you multiple cards, but the damn thing signaled I had to see an attendant... and then I start getting a series of emails saying I had a short while to check in or the card was being suspended for "security".. because in the middle of the Sierra it's SO easy to get a phone call out...). So BofA might be tighter on security.