Apple's new 12" MacBook unboxed in Vietnam ahead of official release

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

There have been a few occasions where it would have been handy to be able to connect my Macbook Pro retina 15" to ethernet.  Given the cost of this machine I think Apple should have included a voucher for a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter rather than slug for an extra $31.

I can't see a USB-C adapter to ethernet adapter on the Apple Store. This machine has no Thunderbolt, as was point out by Soli in a different thread. The is no Thunderbolt chip on the board.

• Reply 22 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    kmac1036 wrote: »
    I truly hope sales on this thing just fall flat. I think the tech on the battery, trackpad, logic board, & keyboard sound great, roll that out to the rest of the lineup. But this machine is just too limited.

Too limited for who? Maybe for you but you don't speak for everyone.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The charging cord itself appears somewhat thicker and stiffer than those attached to Apple's MagSafe connectors. The UCB type C plugs look like larger versions of the Ligtning plugs, with extruded ovular casings.

Ovular? Now Apple is getting their design inspiration from the mammalian reproductive system?

• Reply 24 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can't see a USB-C adapter to ethernet adapter on the Apple Store. This machine has no Thunderbolt, as was point out by Soli in a different thread. The is no Thunderbolt chip on the board.

You're meant to buy the USB C to USB adapter - that will be $20.46, thank you Sir - and then buy the USB to Ethernet adapter - that will be another $31, thank you Sir.

• Reply 25 of 73
    Quote:

You're meant to buy the USB C to USB adapter - that will be $20.46, thank you Sir - and then buy the USB to Ethernet adapter - that will be another $31, thank you Sir.

Ethernet is often needed in business environments. In my particular case on some machines I need two ethernet connections.

• Reply 26 of 73
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mstone wrote: »
    Apple packaging is absolutely horrible. They make it really difficult to get the product out safely. You can't grab it. You have to flip it upside down, that is, if it didn't accidentally slip out unexpectedly and fall on the floor while removing the top of the box.
    I have always thought Apple packaging is exceptionally good. There is a story behind it, of which I am sure you are aware. Essentially Steve Jobs' idea was to make it so that thought he process of un-wraping you get to really experience the quality of the fit and finish of the product. Having said that - a tab to lift the product out of the box is definitely a good idea.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I have always thought Apple packaging is exceptionally good. There is a story behind it, of which I am sure you are aware. Essentially Steve Jobs' idea was to make it so that thought he process of un-wraping you get to really experience the quality of the fit and finish of the product. Having said that - a tab to lift the product out of the box is definitely a good idea.

The packaging looks beautiful and I'm sure the reason the product is positioned right at the top, uncovered, is for the big reveal, but it is form over function as the video above of the iPhone falling clearly demonstrates. If you are going to put the product unprotected at the top like that, then the box top needs to glide off effortlessly.

• Reply 28 of 73
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

I agree that for the iPhone boxes...Apple should tweak the packing method to eliminate the phone from so easily falling out during initial unboxing.  I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 6s (and other 'new' models) have revised packaging.

Not sure on the new MBs though.

• Reply 29 of 73
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Quote:

Ethernet is often needed in business environments. In my particular case on some machines I need two ethernet connections.

Quote:

Quote:

I had this concern at first until I realized that that this is just the generic cheap USB you will also see on PCs. Look on eBay and you can already start to see various cheap adapters and cables.

• Reply 30 of 73
    sdtregsdtreg Posts: 2member
    He shouldn't have booted it up and attempted to check for software update. Apple somehow lock the laptop down
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I agree that for the iPhone boxes...Apple should tweak the packing method to eliminate the phone from so easily falling out during initial unboxing.  I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 6s (and other 'new' models) have revised packaging.

Apple cannot idiot-proof everything. Why in the world would someone open a box containing their $800 handheld computer in such a manner that it could become damaged?!

• Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

the cable was pulled out / missing & unwound, so he unboxed it prior to recording this video.

can't speak for the keyboard, but it sounds really nice from those that have tried it.

but the connectors I can speak for & damn well entitled to have a viewpoint. for what the machine is priced at, there's NO reason to charge $79 USD for an adapter to charge AND plug in a device or video connection. None. If they didn't want to include the adapter, put a 2nd port on the power brick & make it a hub. If USB-C is that wonderful & flexible, Apple did a poor job utilizing it's functionality. Given the other laptops can change & plug in one other device WITHOUT charging for additional adapters, I see no reason the MacBook should be excluded from this. Pushing things ahead is one thing, but this is just an a$$hole move on their part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Isn't the product usually wrapped in clear plastic? Makes me wonder if this is a real unboxing.

They probably opened it, then reboxed it to film the video. Or they had to do a retake.

I've never had an issue getting an Apple product out of the box.

The machine could not boot in the video.  A defective unit? I think there is more to this story.

• Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Apple cannot idiot-proof everything. Why in the world would someone open a box containing their $800 handheld computer in such a manner that it could become damaged?!

Does not seem much different than the situation with iPad or iPhone packaging to me. 

• Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

Does not seem much different than the situation with iPad or iPhone packaging to me. 

Having unpackaged numerous ( > 8 iPhones and iPads), I've never even come close to dropping / damaging any of the devices while opening their respective boxes. This is a total non-issue. 

• Reply 35 of 73
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,440moderator
    snova wrote: »
    The machine could not boot in the video.  A defective unit? I think there is more to this story.

The SSDs are replaceable so perhaps they don't have them installed yet or just don't have the OS loaded on it. It looks like it's booting in dark mode:

[VIDEO]

and showing the no bootable device found icon, which is like a no smoking icon.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Gotta love all the snide comments about this machine even though no one has used it yet and Apple still offers other laptops in their lineup with lots of ports and MagSafe. I'm especially amused by all the 'keyboard sucks' comments from people who have never typed on it but are so sure it's going to suck. image

Just ignore the morons.... there's a bunch of them here that only have a negative spin on most things, and it has got to be so incredibly tiresome.

The Mods are absolutely out to lunch in this Forum. Disappointing and frustrating.

• Reply 37 of 73
    sdtregsdtreg Posts: 2member
    They reported in a Vietnamese web site that it booted ok the first time but got hung when attempt to check for software update
  • Reply 38 of 73
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    (Eh, deleted.

What's the point...)
  • Reply 39 of 73
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member
    Quote:

I could do a much better job, and by the way, I do design packaging for medical devices.

Then put your money where your mouth is son.

• Reply 40 of 73
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The Mods are absolutely out to lunch in this Forum. Disappointing and frustrating.

That's an understatement... I was banned the past week for calling them out on their inability their job... any job in fact..  I expect the same thing to happen shortly.

The only job I see them doing is deleting my performance-reviews of them.  I guess it's okay for trolls to run rampant and provoke everyone, but hey... valid criticisms about the mods and they have a hissy-fit.