Apple's new 12" MacBook unboxed in Vietnam ahead of official release

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That's an understatement... I was banned the past week for calling them out on their inability their job... any job in fact..  I expect the same thing to happen shortly.

The only job I see them doing is deleting my performance-reviews of them.  I guess it's okay for trolls to run rampant and provoke everyone, but hey... valid criticisms about the mods and they have a hissy-fit.

Like deleting any comment calling out their thinly disguised paid advertisements for slightly lower costs Apple products?

• Reply 42 of 73
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carl Hancock View Post

Apple packaging is absolutely horrible. They make it really difficult to get the product out safely. You can't grab it. You have to flip it upside down, that is, if it didn't accidentally slip out unexpectedly and fall on the floor while removing the top of the box.

Difficult? The MacBook packaging includes a pull tab incorporated into the packaging. It's usually black or clear paper or plastic material. You lift up, the MacBook pops up enough for you to then grab it and lift it out. If that's difficult i'm afraid there isn't much more that can be done for you.

You did notice the tell-tail plastic that wraps the laptop and power adapter were missing.. you know.. the part of the packaging that includes pull-tabs so you don't have to flip it?

Yeah, not a true unboxing because he didn't even remove the cellophane from the outside of the box.. 

Either it was already opened and he just did this to make the video or he got it pre-supplier and box separately to make it an 'unboxing' video..

• Reply 43 of 73
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    So this is what an iPad 12" might feel like :)
  • Reply 44 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple packaging is absolutely horrible. They make it really difficult to get the product out safely. You can't grab it. You have to flip it upside down, that is, if it didn't accidentally slip out unexpectedly and fall on the floor while removing the top of the box.

Funny that they continually win award after award for their packaging design and utility. People actually keep their Apple packaging for years in case they need to sell the original unit or ship it for repairs.

I disagree with your entire statement. Apple’s packaging is perfect for the products, part of the thrill of buying an Apple product.

But I guess some people are satisfied with corrugated brown cardboard, foam peanuts so full of ESD that they cling to your skin, non recyclable plastic bubble bags, twisty ties and the awful smells of toxic fumes.

• Reply 45 of 73
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Some people just can't get the laptop out of the case. What about turn it up side down over the couch, damn it?

• Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

the cable was pulled out / missing & unwound, so he unboxed it prior to recording this video.

can't speak for the keyboard, but it sounds really nice from those that have tried it.

but the connectors I can speak for & damn well entitled to have a viewpoint. for what the machine is priced at, there's NO reason to charge $79 USD for an adapter to charge AND plug in a device or video connection. None. If they didn't want to include the adapter, put a 2nd port on the power brick & make it a hub. If USB-C is that wonderful & flexible, Apple did a poor job utilizing it's functionality. Given the other laptops can change & plug in one other device WITHOUT charging for additional adapters, I see no reason the MacBook should be excluded from this. Pushing things ahead is one thing, but this is just an a$$hole move on their part.

You don't have to buy it if it doesn't meet your requirements. There's a Air and Pro for it. Apple can't satisfy everyone.

• Reply 47 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Some idiots just can't get the laptop out of the case. What about turn it up side down over the couch, damn it?

Funny, that so many people think that unorthodox packaging that allows the device to fall out is so wonderful. Of course every one can see through the box before opening it, that the the device is ready to fall out as soon as they pull the top off. I stand by my original comment about it being a STUPID ASS design. As I mentioned, my MBP and recent iMac 5k were both well packaged and protected but ALL of my iPhones have been the same crap design sitting loose on top as shown in that video. If they want to use a big reveal design like that, they need to restrain the device somehow. I can think of a few appropriate ways since I am very experienced in designing packaging for small electronic devices, which is the reason I think it is such a crap design - because I am in that line of work.

• Reply 48 of 73

for all the you whiners on this "single port" machine, Apple can't satisfy everyone's needs. Buy whatever that fits you. 

This machine focuses on mobile capability for people on the go but need more capable machine than iPad, so they rarely dock it or connect it to external monitor or external media or such, so no Thunderbolt and other ports included.

Bottom line, consider it as an iPad with built-in kickass keyboard and Touchpad with capability to run full Mac OS. If you need more than that, get yourself an Air or Pro.

• Reply 49 of 73
    Quote:

Funny, that so many people think that unorthodox packaging that allows the device to fall out is so wonderful. Of course every one can see through the box before opening it, that the the device is ready to fall out as soon as they pull the top off. I stand by my original comment about it being a STUPID ASS design. As I mentioned, my MBP and recent iMac 5k were both well packaged and protected but ALL of my iPhones have been the same crap design sitting loose on top as shown in that video. If they want to use a big reveal design like that, they need to restrain the device somehow. I can think of a few appropriate ways since I am very experienced in designing packaging for small electronic devices, which is the reason I think it is such a crap design - because I am in that line of work.

Apple can't fix clumsy people. People need to handle their expensive precious with cares. So don't blame Apple for your inability to handle an unbox process appropriately.

You have so much experience in packaging and where is that company now? Apple must've done the right thing including packaging to be where they are today. 

• Reply 50 of 73
    igrouchoigroucho Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

The machine could not boot in the video.  A defective unit? I think there is more to this story.

It needs a version of Mac OS which is not yet released.

• Reply 51 of 73
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    mstone wrote: »

Apple and Ive would point out that you are opening the box wrong. The packaging is designed to be opened by holding the top of the box and lifting whilst the lower part slips out, slowly, teasing you, till it drops from the upper onto your desk/table.

Me, I think you are correct, it's a bit daft but hey, that's Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Apple can't fix dumb/clumsy people. People need to handle their expensive precious with cares. So STFU and don't blame Apple for your inability to handle an unbox process appropriately.

How can anyone, even a genius, unless they have X-ray vision, know that holding the box even slightly at an angle will spill the contents? As they struggle to get the top off, which is designed so tight, and no where to get a finger hold, it would be very likely that the when the top finally releases it would shake and spill the contents. Absolutely crap design, all for a pretty presentation. Classic form over function fail.

• Reply 53 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

My Samsung Wave box has the inner box slide out sideways and there are semi-circular cutouts so your fingers can easily grasp the inner box.  My Nokia box is the same in going sideways except it has a tab to pull the inner box by.  Both are far less likely to spill and both will show the device on top when it's only partially open, giving forewarning to be careful.

• Reply 54 of 73
    ed17331ed17331 Posts: 20member
    I viewed the video. I couldn't understand a word of it. Sounded like gibberish.

/s
  • Reply 55 of 73
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Apple cannot idiot-proof everything. Why in the world would someone open a box containing their $800 handheld computer in such a manner that it could become damaged?!

I don't consider this idiot-proofing...I consider it common sense risk avoidance. I don't think you realize how EASY it is for a 5 oz. "handheld computer" to flick out of the box even when opening rather carefully...has also something to do with the box cover not quite sliding off easily (making it even more probable that a flicking motion will result as the cover suddenly detaches).

I agree with you, I'm not one of those that holds others responsible for my stupidity or bad luck.

...but this is not that case.

It wouldn't take much of any effort or cost to remedy this situation..with the iPhone.

• Reply 56 of 73
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Does not seem much different than the situation with iPad or iPhone packaging to me. 

If you're saying that the Macbook unboxing and the iPhone unboxing has the same problem...I would disagree.

The MB laptop is 2 lbs. The iPhone is 5 oz.

It's dumb to unbox your new laptop while standing up not to mention physically very awkward...the vast majority will place it on their lap or a table.

The iPhone on the other hand is frequently opened by holding the box with one hand and pulling the cover off with the other hand...standing?..sitting?...most people don't care.

So for problem of the device accidentally falling out of the box, it's a problem for the iPhone but doesn't seem like a problem for Laptops.

I would agree that laptop cartons should have a hand "hole" to get hands under the laptop or a tab to pull to release it from the carton.

• Reply 57 of 73
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 631member
    ...Release The Trolls!!
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:

'All' Apple laptops come wrapped in clear plastic and 'all' have a plastic or paper tab to pull up the device without the need of turning over the box, the guy in the video opened the laptop before recording it.

• Reply 59 of 73
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ds92jz View Post

Quote:

I could do a much better job, and by the way, I do design packaging for medical devices.

Then put your money where your mouth is son.

lol.    

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Quote:

Does not seem much different than the situation with iPad or iPhone packaging to me. 

If you're saying that the Macbook unboxing and the iPhone unboxing has the same problem...I would disagree.

The MB laptop is 2 lbs. The iPhone is 5 oz.

Come to think of it my 2013 15" rMBP was packaged the same way.

• Reply 60 of 73
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

Only a complete dufus opens up expensive and delicate electronics above a hard surface like tile or concrete. I always open mine either on the carpet or on the bed. No wonder the nanny state is alive and kicking. Perhaps we should have people take out insurance in case they get wet in the rain?