Fox Business News apologizes after commentator calls Apple CEO Tim Cook a 'bigot'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
On Friday, Fox Business Network apologized for a remark made by a commentator earlier in the week in which a regular guest called Apple CEO Tim Cook a "bigot" for his stance on religious freedom laws in Indiana and Arkansas.

During Wednesday's episode of Imus in the Morning, which is simulcast on Fox, temporary hosts Dagen McDowell and Connell McShane spoke with frequent contributor Bernard McGuirk, who called Cook a "bigot hypocrite" for publicly voicing concerns about potentially discriminatory U.S. state legislation.

In a transcript provided to Business Insider, McGuirk calls Cook "this hypocrite, this bigot hypocrite," referring to the Apple chief's statements against religious freedom laws expressed in a Washington Post editorial and a series of Twitter statements.

The legislation has since been amended after public outcry, but critics complained that even with changes, the laws could enable discrimination against gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered people.

"He sells products to Iran," McGuirk explained. "He sells products to Saudi Arabia where they execute people if they're gay."

McGuirk argued that Cook "won't allow these religious people to exercise their freedom," and challenged Cook to stop selling products in countries like Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, and Iran, where "they not only dump on women and treat them as second class citizens, but as I said, they would execute gay people."

The apology was delivered on-air by McDowell earlier today.

"The Fox Business Network would like to make it clear that we in no way believe that [Cook is a bigot]. Mr. Cook runs a company that is an American success story and Apple has become a worldwide brand," she said.

Cook himself is gay, and is publicly involved in pro-LGBT causes. McGuirk is not the only person to have accused Cook of hypocrisy, however. Former HP CEO and possible Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina recently said Apple would have to "withdraw from 90 percent of the markets that he's in, including China and Saudi Arabia" if he was actively concerned with the way women and gays are treated in those markets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 276
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    This guy is Don Imus' old sidekick, which speaks volumes to his character. Now we just need him to apologize for all of the other vile, repugnant things that fly out of his mouth on a daily basis.
  • Reply 2 of 276
    This Bernard idiot is the same clown who referred to the black female basketball players a few years back as "Jigaboos". This shit is par for the course with Imus/McGuirk
  • Reply 3 of 276
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    He's right. No need to apologize. Stupid Fox News. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 4 of 276
    raybnycraybnyc Posts: 1member
    Suppose it hasn't occurred to McGuirk or Florina that Cook (among others) holds the United States to a higher standard. We're supposed to be leaders with the "freedom" thing.
  • Reply 5 of 276
    Oh and by the way, in just 2 days over $800K has been raised by over 28,000 people in support of Memories Pizza. Tim Cook's viewpoint is NOT the majority viewpoint by a long shot. It's only a majority view point in the media, pop culture and tech echo chamber,
  • Reply 6 of 276
    Oh boy. Here we go again. You know the drill.
  • Reply 7 of 276
    dmdevdmdev Posts: 33member
    "he said"? Dagen McDowell is not a man.
  • Reply 8 of 276
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member

do you sprinkle that little gem all over the internet?

because.. you know what? it doesn't matter.

Cook is entitled to his opinion just like anyone who contributed to the pizza place.

• Reply 9 of 276
    I'm sure not one of the people who will soon launch into a tirade has ever said something they regretted later. And I'm sure they've done actual homework and won't just make comments like "oh, it's FAUX News" or something. No, certainly not.
  • Reply 10 of 276
    dmdevdmdev Posts: 33member
    No direct links to send the author corrections to articles? Dagen McDowell is not a he. "He said" should be "she said" ;)
  • Reply 11 of 276
    milkmage wrote: »
    do you sprinkle that little gem all over the internet?

because.. you know what? it doesn't matter.

Cook is entitled to his opinion just like anyone who contributed to the pizza place.

Yeah and people are entitled to call him a hypocrite. Free speech and all. I'll change my opinion when Cook speaks out for gay rights in China and the Middle East. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time for that to happen.
  • Reply 12 of 276
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Could have found a better way of voicing it, but the point was valid. If Cook is so sensitive about such issues, why is he still doing business in countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia given the way they persecute homosexuals? I don't see how he's a bigot, but clearly he's a hypocrite if it's ok to do business with places that consider homosexuality a capital crime, but not Indiana because some couples may have to shop around for their wedding cake.
    If anyone needs to apologize, it's Cook. Hypocrisy and profit mongering. Well done, Tim.
  • Reply 13 of 276
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Tim Cook's viewpoint is NOT the majority viewpoint by a long shot. It's only a majority view point in the media, pop culture and tech echo chamber

Yes....well, and among folks under 50:

...and among Democrats. Oh, and Independents. And all adults:

But old Republicans? No way, Jose...uh, I mean, Tim.

• Reply 14 of 276
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    "The apology was delivered on-air by McDowell earlier today.

"The Fox Business Network would like to make it clear that we in no way believe that [Cook is a bigot]. Mr. Cook runs a company that is an American success story and Apple has become a worldwide brand," he said.

Just a minor point. Dagen McDowell is a woman.
  • Reply 16 of 276
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    cash907 wrote: »
    but clearly he's a hypocrite if it's ok to do business with places that consider homosexuality a capital crime, but not Indiana

Did Tim Cook state that Apple would no longer do business with the state of Indiana?
  • Reply 17 of 276

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Could have found a better way of voicing it, but the point was valid. If Cook is so sensitive about such issues, why is he still doing business in countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia given the way they persecute homosexuals? I don't see how he's a bigot, but clearly he's a hypocrite if it's ok to do business with places that consider homosexuality a capital crime, but not Indiana because some couples may have to shop around for their wedding cake.

If anyone needs to apologize, it's Cook. Hypocrisy and profit mongering. Well done, Tim.

Tim Cook was not one of the CEO's who said they were pulling business out of Indiana or Arkansas, so calling him a hypocrite is kind of silly. If he had said "we are no longer going to sell Apple products in Indiana because of this," then you would be able to call him a hypocrite for continuing to sell products in other parts of the world.

Tim was clearly voicing his concern for a law in a country that he is a citizen in. It's also the country where Apple has the most employees, and as CEO he wants to make sure his employees know where he stands on this. If I had to guess, showing to his employees that he's willing to stand up for what he thinks is right outweighs whatever flack he gets from idiots like this guy and Carly Fiona, who only wishes she could have been as successful as Tim. Since Fox is a very important partner to Apple, I wouldn't be surprised if Rupert Murdoch himself forced the apology.

• Reply 18 of 276
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    So because something is popular, that makes it right? Okay then...

That wasnt the point. If you look again, you should see that it was a response to Rogifan's claim that "Tim Cook's viewpoint is NOT the majority viewpoint by a long shot. It's only a majority view point in the media, pop culture and tech echo chamber"
  • Reply 19 of 276
    hzc wrote: »
    Did Tim Cook state that Apple would no longer do business with the state of Indiana?

Yes... I had to drive to Kentucky to buy a new iPhone since Apple no longer does business here in Indiana. Thanks Tim!
  • Reply 20 of 276
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Sad that "contributors" have so little to contribute to the discussion. What passes as news in this country has devolved into little more than the TV equivalent of click bait. Reinforce people's prejudices or scare the hell out of them with wall-to-wall doomsday coverage. Discussions consist of pitting two diametrically opposed ideologues against each other who attempt to win by scoring the most points. The theory being that truth will miraculously appear in the collision of two speeding locomotives. Oh, for a nice thoughtful, low key conversation among real experts who have no ax to grind and who are interested in learning from each other. PBS and BBC come close sometimes.