Apple Watch preorders, 12" MacBook sales go live with limited availability [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 202
    I'll have my watch in 4-6 weeks, but no time was wasted to charge my credit card $646 (NY taxes).

Bad Apple...
  • Reply 62 of 202
    I don't know about NY, but in many jurisdictions, that's illegal. Did they charge the card, or just perform a pre-authorization?
  • Reply 63 of 202
    I just got off the phone with Apple. They are NOT allowing in-store pick-up. They said that they are concerned about accidentally mixing up packages in the store. Therefore it must be sent to your home. In hindsight, that makes a lot of sense. If we think of major metropolitan stores, it could take them forever to sort through all the boxes and alphabetise them and keep them in order.
  • Reply 64 of 202
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by therfman View Post

I don't know about NY, but in many jurisdictions, that's illegal. Did they charge the card, or just perform a pre-authorization?

It's a subtle difference but the end result is the same, right? You don't have access to that amount of credit either way.

• Reply 65 of 202
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wonder if the 4-6 week estimate will shorten up considerably quite quickly? That seems more like s supply issue and I could see some people being turned off with 4-6 week wait times; that's not end of April. I wonder if there are manufacturing issues with some models?

Also "growing pains" as Apple learns which models/bands/price-points will have the most traction.

They could really only start out with a very general idea.

• Reply 66 of 202
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    On Twitter Gruber says 3rd party apps lag is awful (he says "terribly slow"). Built in apps much better. Hopefully Apple has a software update before consumers start getting their hands on these things. And I'm really hoping we see a native SDK at WWDC.
  • Reply 67 of 202
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Serious question.. Where were all of you people in the previous Apple Watch threads in the last few months? You know, since every Apple watch thread had like 90% haters, and then the rare exceptions who statedthey MIGHT consider purchase after taking a wait and see approach? Now everyone has pre-ordered? I don't get it. Why didn't any of you who we're planning to buy post in earlier discussion threads, to offset the bashers and naysayers?
  • Reply 68 of 202
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    djsherly wrote: »

It's a subtle difference but the end result is the same, right? You don't have access to that amount of credit either way.

It is not the same. If you have an open order, you have no business using the credit required to cover that order.

On the other hand, if the order isn't fulfilled, they don't get your money and the CC company doesn't send you a bill or charge interest. That's the difference between a pre authorization and an actual charge.
  • Reply 69 of 202
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

On Twitter Gruber says 3rd party apps lag is awful (he says "terribly slow"). Built in apps much better. Hopefully Apple has a software update before consumers start getting their hands on these things. And I'm really hoping we see a native SDK at WWDC.

I think that's unsurprising. Not many developers have had a chance to play with the hardware. As developers get their hands on actual hardware, their apps will become better optimised. 

• Reply 70 of 202
    wookiee69 wrote: »
    I'll have my watch in 4-6 weeks, but no time was wasted to charge my credit card $646 (NY taxes).

Bad Apple...

Are you sure about this? In my past experience, Apple has never charged my card until the product actually shipped. You should complain to them or let them know.
  • Reply 71 of 202
    I'm gonna wait to order one for a little while, till the rush has subsided. Wait a month or two, stroll into a store, try em on. :)
  • Reply 72 of 202
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    alphafox wrote: »
    Ordered two using the app as soon as it would let me, 42mm Sports black and 38mm sports pink. both say 'Delivers 4/24 - 5/8. guess I was lucky!! makes up for my iPhone 6 Plus order I couldnt get in on time... :)

Check your email confirmation. My black sports also said delivers 4/24 on then "Place Order" screen (12:04) but when I got the email confirmation from Apple, the expected delivery said "May 15-28". From what I've read, there were NO black sports available to be shipped in time for launch day delivery.
  • Reply 73 of 202
    richl wrote: »
    I think that's unsurprising. Not many developers have had a chance to play with the hardware. As developers get their hands on actual hardware, their apps will become better optimised. 

I hope that's the case. I wonder if Apple pre-warned reviewers about this?
  • Reply 74 of 202
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    brobc wrote: »
    I'm just here to gloat. Apple Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray expected on my doorstep on April 24th. I used the app and it was smooth.
    Check your email confirmation. My black sports also said delivers 4/24 on then "Place Order" screen (12:04) but when I got the email confirmation from Apple, the expected delivery said "May 15-28". From what I've read, there were NO black sports available to be shipped in time for launch day delivery.
  • Reply 75 of 202
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Shipping dates are now showing July on some watches I can not believe Apple miss estimated by that much. Or this could be part of the strategy to make it look to be in higher demand. Since Apple will not share the number you know people will be making up all kinds of theories on what is going on.
  • Reply 76 of 202
    Are you sure about this? In my past experience, Apple has never charged my card until the product actually shipped. You should complain to them or let them know.

Same here. I've never been charged until the product shipped.
  • Reply 77 of 202

because the bashers and naysayers are mostly trolls - no point arguing. I popped up once or twice to say I was excited.

It's hard enough expressing why one might think MacBooks are good value or why iTunes isn't so bad, without getting screamed at on forums.

• Reply 78 of 202
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peejaybee View Post

because the bashers and naysayers are mostly trolls - no point arguing. I popped up once or twice to say I was excited.

It's hard enough expressing why one might think MacBooks are good value or why iTunes isn't so bad, without getting screamed at on forums.

I'm a fan of Apple products but I must declare iTunes is a DOG. It's not that bad but it could be so much better.

• Reply 79 of 202
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

I am astonished at the number of people who like the metal band (and the black color). I want the shiny milanese loop on the shiny steel watch. 

Please tell me I did not get fast delivery time because I'm alone with bad taste ;)

• Reply 80 of 202
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm a fan of Apple products but I must declare iTunes is a DOG. It's not that bad but it could be so much better.

Try iTunes on Windows. Come back to iTunes on a Mac and enjoy the much better product ;)