Initial Apple Watch stock dries up in minutes, shipping times quickly jump to 4-6 weeks

Comments

• Reply 281 of 362
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    do people really want to wear a mini iPhone on their wrist? Seemingly the idea behind the watch is it allows a person to put the phone away, out of sight most of the time. So the relationship to the way the phone looks seems of the least importance than to how it looks on the wearer. In fact, looking like a mini iPhone is the last thing I think someone would want their personal wrist wear to resemble. 

you still haven't seen one in person, have you?

it is so small and has no resemblance to an iPhone. it resembles a watch, that's it.
  • Reply 282 of 362
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I did another mockup of one of Apple's apps -- the camera remote which is sure to get a lot of use on the watch. 

One thing I used to do with previous iPhone 4-5 is to stand it up on it's edge and do time delay photos and also facetime chats, however now that the edges are round that is no longer possible. I wonder how much use the camera remote is actually going to get if you have to carry around some sort of tripod or stand to frame the shot.

• Reply 283 of 362
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder how much use the camera remote is actually going to get if you have to carry around some sort of tripod or stand to frame the shot.

Well I'll tell you one thing, it will certainly take the confusion out of giving your phone to someone else to take your photo -- they just have to generally frame the photo, and you can not only confirm they've got the right shot, but you can take the picture for them. 

• Reply 284 of 362
    Quote:

Well I'll tell you one thing, it will certainly take the confusion out of giving your phone to someone else to take your photo -- they just have to generally frame the photo, and you can not only confirm they've got the right shot, but you can take the picture for them. 

Right and you will always be looking down at your watch in every photo

• Reply 285 of 362
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Right and you will always be looking down at your watch in every photo

Not if you do it right. Keep in mind there are three generations of iPhone 5 that stand on edge just fine that work with the ?Watch too. 

All I know is Apple created this app for the watch, and Jony Ive and the development team love looking at photos on the watch. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/23/shape-things-come

• Reply 286 of 362
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mstone wrote: »
    One thing I used to do with previous iPhone 4-5 is to stand it up on it's edge and do time delay photos and also facetime chats, however now that the edges are round that is no longer possible. I wonder how much use the camera remote is actually going to get if you have to carry around some sort of tripod or stand to frame the shot.

it's an absolute nonissue to prop an iPhone 6 up against something for a photo.
  • Reply 287 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

it's an absolute nonissue to prop an iPhone 6 up against something for a photo.

Perhaps if you don't mind having the camera always pointing slightly upward. I would generally prefer a shot of people being framed at eye level or slightly above, not looking up their noses. An iPhone 6 cannot be propped up exactly level without considerable effort using both a back and front restraints to keep it from falling over. That said, a rounded edge with back and front support might be slightly easier to aim the camera both downward or upward at slight angles.

• Reply 288 of 362
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »
    If the watch was intended for video then widescreen rectangle would be the better shape, same if it had a windowed UI or browsed webpages. It doesn't do any of those things though. If it's a really bad shape to work with then buyers won't buy them and the round watch manufacturers will switch away from that design.

you have a false assumption that rectangular is for video. how many decades did we have rectangular co outer displays before putting any video on them? textual CRTs were not round.

Modern screen aspects have been optimized for video, they used to be 4:3. The text-only cases are still a different use case than watches. Early computers were running computer programs with thousands of lines of code. Even the square Apple Watch has about 8 lines with 2-3 words per line. It wouldn't be suitable for what early computers were used for either.

A round smartwatch isn't a hypothetical scenario, they already exist and hundreds of thousands of people are using them ok and they seem to be happy with them:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-360-Black-Leather/dp/B00NC8PMUK
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-360-Stone-Leather/dp/B00O0BRXBE

It's more of a fun shape to use because it completely breaks away from the idea that it's just a really small smartphone, which it isn't and never will be in the form factor it's in.

Buyers are happy with the Moto 360, buyers will likely be happy with the Apple Watch so both shapes are suitable for a good smartwatch experience. It wouldn't be equally suited for a laptop or a TV or any other device that isn't a smartwatch.

Gene Munster thinks Apple will have sold around 1 million units:

http://www.businessinsider.com/gene-munster-apple-will-sell-one-million-watches-on-first-weekend-2015-3

Tim Cook said orders were great:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102546241

Tim wears the stainless steel with the sports band and he has other straps. Stainless Steel is clearly a nicer watch to be wearing regularly than sport. This could be a positive thing in that people are pushed more into the higher price.

The numbers will show up on April 27th in their Q2 financials under the Accessories/Other category. Beats and iPods are going to be merged in there this year. If you look at Jan '14, it was $1.86b Accessories and $0.97b iPod. Jan '15 was $2.68b for Other. I estimated Beats headphones would be about $250m per quarter revenue but it's going to be offset by iPod sales falling e.g 50% drop so $1.86b + $0.48b iPod + $0.25b Beats = $2.59b (actual was $2.68b)

If they sold 2 million watches this month with 1 million Sport, 0.99 million SS and 0.01 million edition, revenue would look like say $400x1m + $700x0.99m + $12kx10k = $1.2b. Apr '14 was only $1.86b. So Accessories/Other for Apr '15 would perhaps be just over $3b. That's not bad for accessories considering the whole Mac line only makes $6.9b but far off the $51b the iPhone makes. That would just be a single month. A full quarter would be more informative although this period would likely represent peak demand.
  • Reply 289 of 362
    Quote:

...there are three generations of iPhone 5 that stand on edge just fine that work with the ?Watch too. 

I think the ?Watch is primarily for use with iPhone 6 because of Touch ID and ?Pay. People who are willing to drop $400 for an ?Watch have likely already picked up an iPhone 6.

• Reply 290 of 362
    mac_128 wrote: »

The current In-N-Out menu is 22 items -- Fine on the iPhone, but a bit much for the Watch (I think). In-N-Out has some "special" items they don't show on their normal menu -- I could remove these or put them in a separate section of the table.

Probably a better solution is to prepare your order in advance on the iPhone -- then place the order with the Watch when at take-out.

And that's what I think. Anything that has significant lists or options requiring a person to scroll through is going to be much easier to accomplish by pulling the iPhone out. I'm guessing after people really start using it, that the most effective watch screens will adapt more to this concept for quickly selecting something from a list.

Actually, it may not be as bad as I thought ... So far, I can only test Apple Watch scrolling using the iOS Simulator and the mouse instead of a finger.

I have short fat fingers. I've been playing with my grandson's iPad Nano 6G (almost 5 years old) which, though much less powerful, approximates an Apple Watch display 1 1/8" x 1 1/8" usable display area/

There are 34 songs stored on the iPod -- they are displayed ~4 at-a-time and scrolling the display with my finger is easy -- as is targeting a part of the row to touch (the quantity or item name in my Watch app). Scrolling a long list should be even easier with the digital crown.
  • Reply 291 of 362
    Marvin wrote: »
    A round smartwatch isn't a hypothetical scenario, they already exist and hundreds of thousands of people are using them ok and they seem to be happy with them:

Do you have a citation for "hundreds of thousands of people are using them ok and they seem to be happy with them"
  • Reply 292 of 362
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually, it may not be as bad as I thought ... So far, I can only test Apple Watch scrolling using the iOS Simulator and the mouse instead of a finger.

I have short fat fingers. I've been playing with my grandson's iPad Nano 6G (almost 5 years old) which, though much less powerful, approximates an Apple Watch display 1 1/8" x 1 1/8" usable display area/

There are 34 songs stored on the iPod -- they are displayed ~4 at-a-time and scrolling the display with my finger is easy -- as is targeting a part of the row to touch (the quantity or item name in my Watch app). Scrolling a long list should be even easier with the digital crown.

Color information on a screen is inherently data rich. There is two axis of touch plus color depth of the screen.

What kind of data could be associated with a color picker and a touch screen? Could you select music genres with it by beat, or volume?

• Reply 293 of 362
    tmay wrote: »

Color information on a screen is inherently data rich. There is two axis of touch plus color depth of the screen.

What kind of data could be associated with a color picker and a touch screen? Could you select music genres with it by beat, or volume?

You've got some good points -- I hadn't thought of using colors ...

I was fooling around a bit and here's the In-N-Out app with fewer rows displayed -- but larger, bolder type and larger targets for the finger:

I have to go now, but I'll play around with colors tomorrow ...

What color do you want your fries :D
  • Reply 294 of 362
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:

You've got some good points -- I hadn't thought of using colors ...

I was fooling around a bit and here's the In-N-Out app with fewer rows displayed -- but larger, bolder type and larger targets for the finger:

What color do you want your fries image

Golden Brown!

• Reply 295 of 362
    Quote:

What color do you want your fries image

In and Out has a brilliant marketing plan. The six or so secret off the menu items creates a cult following. I love them as an OC original. Animal Style!

• Reply 296 of 362
    siretmansiretman Posts: 117member
    What is this all about? My credit cards have been charged temporarily for $69 each (AppleCare) for my two separate Apple Watch orders. Is it just a test of the credit card viability or something else? Has anyone else seen this today?

Edit: I just called Apple and found out that even though the watches will not ship until May 13-27 for one and June for the other, the AppleCare is effective from the date of purchase, April 10. With my June delivery, I will be losing two months of coverage. Is that true?
  • Reply 297 of 362
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's the point of circular other than some people think it looks better aesthetically?
  • Reply 298 of 362
    mstone wrote: »

What color do you want your fries :D
    In and Out has a brilliant marketing plan. The six or so secret off the menu items creates a cult following. I love them as an OC original. Animal Style!

Yes! The secret items are brilliant ... and the food is good too!

I first experienced In-N-Out in the early 1950s in Pasadena. They are still at the same location ... ~ 2 1/2 parking spots, maybe 2 outdoor tables and a 30' x 30' square building with a drive-thru line on either side.

During busy times (lunch) the cars line up for several blocks -- but are courteous enough to leave space to enter nearby businesses ...

It's a Pasadena tradition ...

And it has the sign -- sadly missing from today's beige boxes selling In-N-Out Burgers.

Also, the subtle bible references on the bottom of their shakes is a nice, not-in-your-face, touch!

But, what I really like about In-N-Out (aside from their food) is their attitude -- They do it their way or not at all!

• Reply 299 of 362
    siretman wrote: »
    What is this all about? My credit cards have been charged temporarily for $69 each (AppleCare) for my two separate Apple Watch orders. Is it just a test of the credit card viability or something else? Has anyone else seen this today?

Edit: I just called Apple and found out that even though the watches will not ship until May 13-27 for one and June for the other, the AppleCare is effective from the date of purchase, April 10. With my June delivery, I will be losing two months of coverage. Is that true?

No! AppleCare coverage begins when you receive the Apple product! If you cancel the order, they will refund the AppleCare charge to your cc.

If you think about what you'd want Apple to do in any situation -- likely, they already do it ... Or will do it, if you tell them about their situation.

I've been dealing with Apple for almost 37 years (June 1978) and have always been satisfied with the way I have been treated.

• Reply 300 of 362

Black, large sport watch ordered and fully paid for by 12.10am California time and it was 4-6 weeks when I clicked on it at 12:02 or so.  Total farce.  Apple wasn't ready for this and barely has any supplies.  The masters of supply chain basically had about 1000 units and knew the rest would be built to order.  Makes me mad they talked out of their arse about a 4/24 delivery.  Now they'll just boast about "how high demand was" and how surprised(!) they were that everything sold out. Another Apple con job.  I miss the days when the company was struggling and had some integrity in equal measure to humility.  [sigh]