Strong preorder demand for Apple Watch could signal 5M sales in June quarter, RBC says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jmgregory1 wrote: »

Instead of opening more factories to ensure launch product availability, Apple could delay launch dates until more product is on-hand.  It's a challenge for sure - It's always better to have less quantity than demand (to a point), compared to too much product and not enough demand.

delay too long and the media and investors chastise you for the delays. damned if you do, damned if you dont. take your pick.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    All Samsung will have to do to make an AppleWatch killer is copy it as close as possible, give it a slightly longer battery life and sell it for less money. 

it's that easy.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    jmgregory1 wrote: »
    In fact, the thing I'm really wanting is to get my late grandfathers 1932 Elgin pocket watch working.  It needs a new main spring installed.  The watch isn't stainless steel, doesn't have a sapphire (or even scratch free) crystal and needs to be wound every ~24 hours, but looking at the movement and knowing the history of this particular watch and that of the factory that made it, it's something that the Watch will never compete with.  

good thing apple isn't trying to compete with antique heirlooms w/ the Watch. no, the Watch is designed to do things, and is intended for people who want a device that does things.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    mac_128 wrote: »
    There's virtually nothing any of us could say that "Apple hasn't thought of". But just because they thought of it, doesn't mean they made the right decision. Look at the original iPhone -- they had thought of opening it up to developers to create apps for it, but Jobs refused to allow it for whatever reason. They realized their mistake and quickly turned it around.

i doubt thats how it went. obviously Jobs knew devs wanted to produce native apps for it. he didn't not know that. but as a software developer i can tell you that it takes a long while to shore things up -- "Get it done. Get it working. Get it working right." it's wasnt an error or mistake that they didn't have an app store one Day 1 for a first-gen product in an entirely new product category for the company. the simpler explanation is it's very unlikely the OS was in proper shape to support third-party devs. i would bet they spent much time fixing it up and getting the APIs sorted, and that the "sweet solution" Jobs presented was a stop-gap measure.
    What I do wonder is why they didn't push the launch one week, which would have given customers a chance to visit the Apple Store before they pre-ordered and given Apple some extra time to produce more watches if the problem was due to production problems. Nothing would have changed, people would still get their watches around the same time, but more people would have been served as more of the actual customers who wanted the watches but didn't want to order something they wear sight unseen. 

i do wonder about this. i got bit -- preordered the 38mm, but saw it in person and realized how very small the device is and had to cancel and reorder a 42.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steffen Jobbs View Post

All Samsung will have to do to make an AppleWatch killer is copy it as close as possible, give it a slightly longer battery life and sell it for less money. 

And made of plastic, don't forget... so it can BENNNND.  :rolleyes:

(and scratch, etc.)

• Reply 46 of 76
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

A lot of people really seems to want to see Apple fall on its face.

A lot of people are going to be very frustrated and disappointed, as Apple breaks sales records for smart watches and paves the way for new forms of success.

Meanwhile Samsung and other companies will battle it out in the Android watch space by cutting prices and margins to the point that even the successful are bleeding money.

When you control your OS, you control your destiny.

• Reply 47 of 76
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I love Apple products, but still, I don't understand their price scheme sometimes. Can any of you give me plausible explanation on this:

Additional solid gold on the watch top and bottom for the bands, and a rather large solid gold buckle. The last few dineros are for the high quality leather vs the rubber watch band

• Reply 48 of 76
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Pebble will probably go the cheap route $99-$199 and drop the steel.
    Why would they do that? The steel is the best product they offer and the most popular.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick29 View Post

Apple would love to sell 31 million in 12 months, even 5 million in the quarter seems optimistic. I bet there is some supply manipulation going on to juice their marketing efforts, but I think 5-7 million units sold by the end of the year is realistic. Price aside, committing to wearing a device that promises to be far more invasive than a phone in your pocket is a tough pill to swallow. Wonder how many people will buy the watch, wear it for a time, and decide its just overkill.

Bullshit.

Show some proof or that's slander.

Are you insane?  This is an absurd reaction to his comment.  There is nothing slanderous in the mild opinion he expressed, and he doesn't need "proof" in order to state an opinion.  Calm down before you have an aneurysm.  

• Reply 50 of 76
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Instead of opening more factories to ensure launch product availability, Apple could delay launch dates until more product is on-hand.  It's a challenge for sure - It's always better to have less quantity than demand (to a point), compared to too much product and not enough demand.

They did most reports said that apple watch would launch last year but it ended up being delayed till april this year.  Even apple themselves said that they wanted the extra time to work on squeezing as much battery time out of the watch as possible.

• Reply 51 of 76
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Early adopters are not a measure of a devices success. I would imagine that success would be demonstrated by the end of the year.

The only reason I could see for buying an Apple watch is if it could handle blood sugar monitoring. In general I hate wearing anything on my wrists. As such I won't be a customer anytime soon.

There is a company releasing a new blood sugar monitor that is a companion to the apple watch, soon I just read I wish I could remember where.

Dexcom is the company.

• Reply 52 of 76
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mechanic wrote: »

They did most reports said that apple watch would launch last year but it ended up being delayed till april this year.  Even apple themselves said that they wanted the extra time to work on squeezing as much battery time out of the watch as possible.

Correct. Here's a report to back that up a bit:

http://news.investors.com/technology-click/100314-720182-apple-watch-manufacturing-postponed-on-design-changes.htm
  • Reply 53 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    [B]Strong preorder demand for Apple Watch could signal 5M sales in June quarter, RBC says[/B]

We know.

It's iOS on a watch

ON A WATCH.

Believe me, we know.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    All Samsung will have to do to make an AppleWatch killer is copy it as close as possible, give it a slightly longer battery life and sell it for less money.  The news media will eat it up and claim Samsung's smartwatch is much better and Apple is in trouble.  They always say that type of BS by only looking at the specs and nothing else.  Most of Apple's retail system is now geared for selling AppleWatches.  Samsung has nothing like that.  It is guaranteed the anti-Apple news media will be pushing a whole lot of AppleWatch killers for the rest of this year.  However, I don't see any other company profiting from selling smartwatches.  Apple will own the highest profit margins and possibly the highest single company smartwatch market share.  That will be very difficult task for Android Wear devices to overcome.  If Apple continues to push hard in retail and improve upon AppleWatch the rest of the smartwatch companies might as well just give up.
    Good points. I'd take it a step farther. With the iPhone, Apple entered an arena with plenty of mature players. Their breakthrough interface was mercilessly copied, and the incumbents had huge advantages in production capacity and mindshare. Even so, Apple has become a force to be reckoned with.

But where are the "incumbents" for this product? Some tried to gain an early advantage, but simply couldn't cut it. I think Apple from day one will be at the head of this particular pack. That's going to be huge. With the success of the Watch, AAPL should be at a P/E of 30. Instead, I look for P/E compression to raise its ugly head again in the next few quarters. Fortunately, Apple has come up with the perfect comeback; buy up its own stock.

BTW, I couldn't believe how compact the Apple Watch was! I won't be receiving mine for a month, but I think people are going to be shocked by how much Apple has managed to get into that tiny device!
  • Reply 55 of 76
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    mechanic wrote: »

There is a company releasing a new blood sugar monitor that is a companion to the apple watch, soon I just read I wish I could remember where.
    Dexcom is the company.

Wow that would be nice!
  • Reply 56 of 76
    I was a doubter early on, but having walked into an Apple Store this past weekend and seeing the Apple Watch in person, trying on various models, how comfortable it felt on my wrist removed all doubt that the company had another significant winner on their hands. The 38mm size will probably be preferred by women, while men will likely select the 42 mm size. Flip it around and it fits nicely on one's right wrist--good for lefties. Now I have to find out if I can charge it with a more powerful adapter than the 5W USB adapter it comes with.
    I pre-ordered mine on Sunday, along with a spare magnetic charging cable and AppleCare.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I was a doubter early on, but having walked into an Apple Store this past weekend and seeing the Apple Watch in person, trying on various models, how comfortable it felt on my wrist removed all doubt that the company had another significant winner on their hands. The 38mm size will probably be preferred by women, while men will likely select the 42 mm size. Flip it around and it fits nicely on one's right wrist--good for lefties. Now I have to find out if I can charge it with a more powerful adapter than the 5W USB adapter it comes with.
    I pre-ordered mine on Sunday, along with a spare magnetic charging cable and AppleCare.

Benjamin Frost, is that you? :lol:
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

...is that you? image

Shhhhhh!

• Reply 59 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Shhhhhh!

Has he become Lord Voldemort aka "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"? :lol:
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Has he become Lord Voldemort aka "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"? image

Well, I was actually thinking Beetlejuice... but hey, the shoe fits.  8-)