From beaches to bridges, Apple has plenty of possible California-themed names for next OS X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Joshua Tree would be nice too and that's south of L.A..

And they could give away the U2: Joshua Tree album free to everyone! ;)

• Reply 42 of 85
    Compton
  • Reply 43 of 85
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I'd like to see them keep it "in the Park", so...Half Done

sounds about right.

• Reply 44 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not even Anaheim. Apple is a Northern California company. Culturally, Northern Californians only barely acknowledge the existence of the southern part of the state. Just one of those north-south things.

Bah!

• Reply 45 of 85
    etkaletkal Posts: 10member

A "Feature" piece speculating on teh naming of a product version by listing places in California?  WTF, I don't come here to read travelogues...

• Reply 46 of 85
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Just don't make it OS X SLO.

• Reply 47 of 85
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

I've been hoping for La Brea.

• Reply 48 of 85
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I'd like to see them keep it "in the Park", so...Half Done

sounds about right.

Not sure if that was a typo or a joke.  If the former, I doubt they'd use a part of Yosemite as another name.  If the latter, well-played.

• Reply 49 of 85
    cambocambo Posts: 38member
    I still think they should go with 'Weed'...
  • Reply 50 of 85
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Southern California is not California with regard to naming the next OS X. Completely different vibe.
  • Reply 51 of 85
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yeah I agree on the negative words. San Andreas would crack me up and Katrina would really blow! (sorry).

Joshua Tree would be nice too and that's south of L.A..

It isn't your fault. ;)

The southern part of the state doesn't lack for suitable place names, I just doubt very much that Apple would choose one. Consider their use of the name Mavericks -- hopelessly obscure to anyone who doesn't surf in Northern California. If they'd wanted to choose a surf spot everybody knew, they could have used Malibu, or any one of a bunch of others. The problem is they are in the south. The Silicon Valley just doesn't relate.

• Reply 52 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Southern California is not California with regard to naming the next OS X. Completely different vibe.

Exhibit A in my case, your honor.

• Reply 53 of 85
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Technically, Sequoia is not the name of a National Park. It is Sequoia-Kings Canyon. One of my favorite National Parks. People do tend to forget about it, especially the Kings Canyon part, which is one of the reasons it's a favorite.

Other great scenic California place names:

Mt. Shasta

Humboldt

Mendocino

Carmel

Lassen

Nope, there are two parks, Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park.  As is acknowledged in their webpage: "Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks lie side-by-side in the southern Sierra Nevada, east of the San Joaquin Valley. Visitor activities vary by season and elevation  (1,370 to 14,494 feet)." Note that "lie side by side" and that "Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks" uses the plural "parks" as in: two, not one and well as "AND" meaning additionally. And that plural usage is very consistent throughout the site, the wider coverage I expect for cost efficiency.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm

• Reply 54 of 85
    What, no mountains? I vote for Whitney, tallest in the lower 48, and it's not in Southern California.
  • Reply 55 of 85

I'm putting a bid in for Fontana, good old Fontucky.  And if Huell was alive, how cool would it be for him to announce the new OS.  "Here in beautiful, hot and arid Fontana, California's most popular truck stopping destination, amazin" 

• Reply 56 of 85
    Quote:

Exhibit A in my case, your honor.

An assertion isn't proof.

• Reply 57 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

An assertion isn't proof.

Another of your typically meaningless arguments.

• Reply 58 of 85
    Quote:

Another of your typically meaningless arguments.

Here's the assertion:  "Southern California is not California with regard to naming the next OS X. Completely different vibe."

That isn't proof. That's an opinion.

What kind of doctor are you?

• Reply 59 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Nope, there are two parks, Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park.  As is acknowledged in their webpage: "Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks lie side-by-side in the southern Sierra Nevada, east of the San Joaquin Valley. Visitor activities vary by season and elevation  (1,370 to 14,494 feet)." Note that "lie side by side" and that "Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks" uses the plural "parks" as in: two, not one and well as "AND" meaning additionally.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm

The name reflects only that the two parks were initially formed separately. They were merged into one park in 1943.

• Reply 60 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Here's the assertion:  "Southern California is not California with regard to naming the next OS X. Completely different vibe."

That isn't proof. That's an opinion.

What kind of doctor are you?

It's called evidence. You need a life.