From beaches to bridges, Apple has plenty of possible California-themed names for next OS X

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The name reflects only that the two parks were initially formed separately. They were merged into one park in 1943.

Link?* The park service pages STILL refer to two parks, joint administration doesn't mean merged, in fact were they truly merged the resulting entity would simply be "administered" and not "jointly administered". And the map locator on the NPS website displays two parks, one labeled Kings Canyon and the other Sequoia.

Were there only one park, "Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park", it would be so labeled on the park service's own locater map as one solid, single, united entity  and it is not. Also when they have the opportunity to do so they decline as here on the descirp[tion of the mt. Whitney approaches and the High Sierra Trail: "There are other routes besides Whitney Portal from which to reach Mt. Whitney. These leave from less heavily-used trailheads, but require a longer hike to reach the summit. The High Sierra Trail leaves from Giant Forest on the west side of Sequoia National Park, and takes a minimum of 6 days (shuttle trip) or 10 days (round trip) to complete." The "west side of Sequoia National Park", not as would be the case if there was only one merged entity, "the west side of Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park". commemorative "s" or no.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/whitney.htm

* I expect there'd be an Act of Congress lying around somewhere, a national park gets formed through that route as I understand it.

• Reply 62 of 85
    rsbellrsbell Posts: 11member
    If it's not OS X Bakersfield, I'm going to Windows.
  • Reply 63 of 85
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    OS X Mountain View

How could they NOT use it!

????
  • Reply 64 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's called evidence. You need a life.

Do you need a dictionary to look up a definition for the word "evidence"?

• Reply 65 of 85

I like Mojave, since Apple has largely deserted prosumer-level apps.

• Reply 66 of 85
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Link?* The park service pages STILL refer to two parks, joint administration doesn't mean merged, in fact were they truly merged the resulting entity would simply be "administered" and not "jointly administered". And the map locator on the NPS website displays two parks, one labeled Kings Canyon and the other Sequoia.

Were there only one park, "Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park", it would be so labeled on the park service's own locater map as one solid, single, united entity  and it is not. Also when they have the opportunity to do so they decline as here on the descirp[tion of the mt. Whitney approaches and the High Sierra Trail: "There are other routes besides Whitney Portal from which to reach Mt. Whitney. These leave from less heavily-used trailheads, but require a longer hike to reach the summit. The High Sierra Trail leaves from Giant Forest on the west side of Sequoia National Park, and takes a minimum of 6 days (shuttle trip) or 10 days (round trip) to complete." The "west side of Sequoia National Park", not as would be the case if there was only one merged entity, "the west side of Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park". commemorative "s" or no.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/whitney.htm

* I expect there'd be an Act of Congress lying around somewhere, a national park gets formed through that route as I understand it.

They were formed separately but after they were merged into one administrative unit in 1943, they became known collectively as "Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks." You could look that up yourself if you are interested, but I can tell you nowhere will you find them described officially as separate parks, because except for historically, they aren't separate. I already knew this (obscure) fact because we are regular visitors to the park(s) and the rangers can be quick to correct you if you make that mistake. Not that it really matters very much.

• Reply 67 of 85
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

I like:

OS X Mojave

OS X Napa

OS X Redwood

OS X Ventura

• Reply 68 of 85
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. X View Post

I like:

OS X Mojave

OS X Napa

OS X Redwood

OS X Ventura

Napa and Redwood are OK.

• Reply 69 of 85
    gnnonignnoni Posts: 27member
    Epicenter? Earthquake? mmmm
    San Andreas
  • Reply 70 of 85

Since we have Dr. Dre and Beats how, about OS X Compton. 

• Reply 71 of 85
    Long Beach has become a cesspool of gang activity.
  • Reply 72 of 85
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

OS X Epicenter?

• Reply 73 of 85
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    I like OS X Tahoe. Of course I'm biased since Tahoe is home. OS X Mammoth gets my vote too.
  • Reply 74 of 85

I agree that "Epicenter" strongly suggests an earthquake-related name, and it's hard to imagine what that could be other than San Andreas.

I suspect that Apple does not want to pick a particular city or town (like Malibu or Ventura) for various reasons (including political reasons, being associated with some unknown potential future scandal or event), or alienating people that don't live there), and the names they've chosen so far support that.  My suggestions would be: 

OS X Mammoth

OS X Mojave

OS X Sequoia

Mt. Shasta and Mt. Whitney are excellent, but the names don't flow.

• Reply 75 of 85
    Disneyland! Oh the levels of corporate tie in that would bring.
  • Reply 76 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Seriously? Cool as in Snoop Dog or the dozens of other gangster hip-hop artists? Ah, No! Long Beach is place I would avoid if at all possible. Apologies to anyone who lives there.

I was born in Long Beach.  No apology necessary.  There's no way Apple would name it after Long Beach.

Likewise Alcatraz would be a poor choice, when right next to it is the much better choice of Angel Island.

Going with the island theme would be:

Catalina

Avalon

Anacapa

Farallones

• Reply 77 of 85
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    How about... OS X Cabrillo
  • Reply 78 of 85
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    OS X Oakland
    OS X East LA