Director J.J. Abrams shows off Apple Watch onstage at 'Star Wars' event in California

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
During a promotional stop for Disney's upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens, director J.J. Abrams flashed what appears to be a stainless steel Apple Watch during a panel discussion at the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim.

Abrams was apparently sporting the 42-millimeter version with a dark blue sport band, an option not offered by Apple to the public. He also took the stage with an iPhone 6 Plus inside a protective case, which he used to take a panoramic shot of the audience.

This marks the second time in as many days that a bespoke Apple Watch has shown up on the wrist of a celebrity. Fashion icon Karl Lagerfeld appeared with an Apple Watch Edition with a solid gold link bracelet on Wednesday.

A number of other celebrities, including Drake and Pharrell Williams, have been spotted with Apple Watches of their own in the days leading up to the device's public release. It's unclear what criteria Apple's worldwide product marketing department is using to decide which celebrities are granted early access.

The Apple Watch went on sale last week, and deliveries are slated to begin on April 24. Between 1 million and 2 million units are thought to have been sold over its launch weekend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    I think his Watch should have had special software that had a lens flare effect blocking 80% of the display any time he used it.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Yup, Cook's own Stainless Steel watch, with White elastomer band, sports a red end color on the digital crown, a color treatment only offered to the public on the Watch Edition with matching red modern buckle band. So perhaps we'll see some additional band options coming to the public from Apple in the months ahead. Plus those rumored additional three watch body metals in time for the holidays. There is much that Apple can do to keep this product fresh between annual hardware and OS updates.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Abrams was apparently sporting the 42-millimeter version with a dark blue sport band, an option not offered by Apple to the public. ...

This marks the second time in as many days that a bespoke Apple Watch has shown up on the wrist of a celebrity. Fashion icon Karl Lagerfeld appeared with an Apple Watch Edition with a solid gold link bracelet on Wednesday.

A number of other celebrities, including Drake and Pharrell Williams, have been spotted with Apple Watches of their own in the days leading up to the device's public release.

They keep leaving out Katy Perry's watch. Who doesn't like Katy Perry. ;-)

Looks like Abrams also got the Edition. But that band, and Lagerfeld's are likely to turn up this Fall with the rest of the holiday updates.

They get the stuff Apple left out of the launch, as it makes the gift that much more exclusive and unique. And then eventually people will be able to buy the band that JJ Abrams wears.

• Reply 4 of 112
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't like all these celebrities getting Apple hardware for free, and before the products are even released for sale.

If I were a celebrity, would I accept an Apple Watch from Apple? Hell yeah.

But since I'm not, and since I don't get any Apple products for free or before they are released, I am going to give this article two thumbs down.

I think that it's sad that Apple is jumping on the celebrity bandwagon. Apple doesn't need any "celebrities" to be using their products or to be seen wearing their products. Apple products are great enough to stand on their own.

Isn't Apple all about equality and diversity and all that liberal mumbo jumbo that some people like to talk about?

Well, I don't think that certain Apple customers should come before other Apple customers. Hell, these celebrities aren't even customers, if they get their shit for free.

• Reply 5 of 112
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't like all these celebrities getting Apple hardware for free, and before the products are even released for sale.

But since I'm not, and since I don't get any Apple products for free or before they are released, I am going to give this article two thumbs down.

I think that it's sad that Apple is jumping on the celebrity bandwagon. Apple doesn't need any "celebrities" to be using their products or to be seen wearing their products. Apple products are great enough to stand on their own.

Isn't Apple all about equality and diversity and all that liberal mumbo jumbo that some people like to talk about?

Well, I don't think that certain Apple customers should come before other Apple customers. Hell, these celebrities aren't even customers, if they get their shit for free.

You can't be serious.  This is the way the world works.  

• Reply 6 of 112
    Quote:

Apple opened preorders early to certain people, mostly (but not all) celebrities.  While they did pay, it is a distinction without a difference.  The amount of money for an Apple Watch is meaningless to these folks.  

• Reply 6 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I am serious.

• Reply 8 of 112
    apple ][ wrote: »

I am serious.
    Hey Apple ][, good to see you around again. Where you been?

As for the celebs, I agree Apple products are great to stand on their own but imo this is great publicity for Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    Quote:

I am serious.

Well, then I can't understand how you can have lived in this world without figuring out that this is just the way it works.  Look at any red carpet, for example.  You think anyone pays for that Marchesa gown or those Louboutin stilettos?  Or for those massive diamond studs?  Of course not.  But as long as they answer, "Who are you wearing?" everyone wins.

This is life, man.  Katy Perry having an Apple Watch makes it cool to her fans.  Etc. 

• Reply 10 of 112
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    apple ][ wrote: »

Do we really have to explain it to you? The watches aren't free. The exchange of "valuables" is that these celebrities wear the products in public. It's advertising, promotion, marketing all in one. Now if Apple gave you one, that would be free, but all you'd have to offer in exchange would be words of criticism, which they'd find worthless.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Apple hasn't always played by "the way the world works." That's what made them different. I am not exactly ticked off (tocked off? haha) by this celebrity-chasing, as much as feeling a bit ambivalent about, and let-down by it.

(edited a couple of typos.... corrected autocorrect...)

• Reply 12 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Hey Apple ][, good to see you around again. Where you been?

As for the celebs, I agree Apple products are great to stand on their own but imo this is great publicity for Apple.

Thanks. I've been around, I've just been busy with a few other things that I also have to take care of.

I agree that it's probably good publicity, but I'm just not a big fan of the celebrity worship culture that is prevalent in our society, and I am disappointed to see Apple jumping on it. It's the same reason that I don't like the Beats ads. Who gives a crap about some sports celebrities wearing headphones? Is that really the shallow crowd that Apple is marketing to?

Apple is basically saying that not all people are equal, and we as a company will treat certain people better than you.

• Reply 13 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple hasn't always played by "the way the world works." That's what made them different. I am not exactly ticked off (tocked off? haha) by this celebrity-chasing, as much as feeling a bit ambivalent about, and let-down by it.

(edited a couple of typos.... corrected autocorrect...)

I know that Apple hasn't always done this.  But this item is a fashion item as much as anything.  And fashion items have different rules.

• Reply 14 of 112
    Quote:

Thanks. I've been around, I've just been busy with a few other things that I also have to take care of.

I agree that it's probably good publicity, but I'm just not a big fan of the celebrity worship culture that is prevalent in our society, and I am disappointed to see Apple jumping on it. It's the same reason that I don't like the Beats ads. Who gives a crap about some sports celebrities wearing headphones? Is that really the shallow crowd that Apple is marketing to?

Apple is basically saying that not all people are equal, and we as a company will treat certain people better than you.

All people are NOT equal.  Never have been, never will be.  

• Reply 15 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Now if Apple gave you one, that would be free, but all you'd have to offer in exchange would be words of criticism, which they'd find worthless.

You don't know that. What I would offer is words of honesty, which is far better than what any celebrities can offer, since many of them are merely promotional whores, who will whore themselves out to anybody who comes along.

Some of these same celebrities would probably just as easily wear a Samsung gold watch on their wrist, if given to them for free.

• Reply 16 of 112
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Did someone hack your account Apple ][?

I've always seen you as someone who wants Apple stock to go up no matter what it takes, and who's willing to argue in favour of things like manufacturing in countries with questionable labour laws and environmental regulations if it leads to lower manufacturing costs/increased profits (and yes, I realize that everyone in the industry does this).  But now you're taking a stand on Apple using celebrities to promote a product when it will likely help generate sales/profits as well?

Also, do you think people who choose Android phones are equal to those who choose Apple phones?

Sorry, just couldn't resist trying to figure out your thinking on this based on your previous posts.

• Reply 17 of 112
    Quote:

You don't know that. What I would offer is words of honesty, which is far better than what any celebrities can offer, since many of them are merely promotional whores, who will whore themselves out to anybody who comes along.

Some of these same celebrities would probably just as easily wear a Samsung gold watch on their wrist, if given to them for free.

Yeah, because someone like Katy Perry or J.J. Abrams can't afford to buy one for themselves.  

Just to put these sorts of things into perspective, Taylor Swift made $66M last year alone.  Gisele made $45M.  If you think people like that need free stuff, you're living in a fantasy land.

• Reply 18 of 112
    Celebrities get a complementary Apple Watch early because they're better than us. :)
  • Reply 19 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Did someone hack your account Apple ][?

I've always seen you as someone who wants Apple stock to go up no matter what it takes, and who's willing to argue in favour of things like manufacturing in countries with questionable labour laws and environmental regulations if it leads to lower manufacturing costs/increased profits (and yes, I realize that everyone in the industry does this).  But now you're taking a stand on Apple using celebrities to promote a product when it will likely help generate sales/profits as well?

Also, do you think people who choose Android phones are equal to those who choose Apple phones?

Sorry, just couldn't resist trying to figure out your thinking on this based on your previous posts.

I of course want AAPL to be at all time highs, and you're correct that I'm not overly concerned with questionable labor laws and environmental regulations and manufacturing in shady countries.

It's just that I've always seen celebrity promotion as one of the lowest common demominator and simplest forms of advertising. It's used by all sorts of crappy companies, especially those with terrible products. 

I would just prefer to see Apple focus on the products, because it's Apple's products that have made it into the company that it is today.

I certainly didn't buy my first Mac because of any celebrity, and I think that anybody who is likely to be swayed by what any celebrity uses is shallow and dumb, and that's not the kind of customer that I would seek for my business, if I were in it for the longterm.

• Reply 20 of 112
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

I would just prefer to see Apple focus on the products, because it's Apple's products that have made it into the company that it is today.

As someone who works in technology, it'd be my dream to have everyone choose products based solely on the quality of the product.  Unfortunately the real world doesn't work that way.  People tend to want to be glad-handed (e.g. salesmen who push products from companies that give them kickbacks) or emotionally convinced in some way (e.g. a celebrity they feel a connection with endorses it, they have a personal relationship with a salesman, a friend recommended it, etc).  Not many people take the time (or have the knowledge) to analyze the details of everything they buy.

Quote:

I certainly didn't buy my first Mac because of any celebrity, and I think that anybody who is likely to be swayed by what any celebrity uses is shallow and dumb, and that's not the kind of customer that I would seek for my business, if I were in it for the longterm.

But obviously you didn't know what a Mac was at some point right?  And so Apple had to do something to get their product into your mind so that you'd decide to purchase it (advertising, word of mouth, etc).  The something that works tends to be different for everyone.