Jony Ive and Marc Newson reveal special Apple Watch Sport Band colors at Milan gala

Comments

• Reply 81 of 207
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Yes, but Apple's also got to manage negative perceptions generated by this sort of thing. It surely must run larger than forums like these.

I feel like Apple has effectively made its fashion point. It's starting to get flogged to death.

that perception problem only exists in your mind. seriously -- the insecure jealousy of a few fanboys (like myself) on tech enthusiasts sites doesmt amount to a hill of beans IRL. it's not a blip on anyone's radar.
  • Reply 82 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Since high school, when the beautiful cool kids were mean to the nerds.   8-)

Then they changed their minds once they found out how much money the nerds were making.

• Reply 83 of 207
    I suppose that what he is saying is there isn't an emotional connection anymore. Once you've hung out with the cool crowd, you don't come back. Apple may make its money (and we're limiting this to the watch here) from $349 Sport models, but that's a means to an end, and that end does not include you or I being their most important constituent. I mean, who would you rather hang out with?

are you serious? that sounds like high school talk. junior high, even.
  • Reply 84 of 207
    I have no idea, since I have not surveyed folks. When I see legitimate, long-time, hard-nosed Apple fans start to squirm over this, I am simply speculating that the feeling must be more widespread.

Do you have evidence to the contrary? Or think what I am saying is unlikely?

that isn't how it works. you're suggesting the existence of a thing, thus the onus is on you to prove it exists. those of us who do not see this thing you are suggesting exists need not prove that we don't see it.
  • Reply 85 of 207
    freerange wrote: »
    I tend to agree. It's starting to be a bit over the top. Steve would not have wanted this. The product is the hero, as are Apple's regular loyal customers. This is not the Apple Steve built - this is too much exclusivity and pomp, moving to the front of the line based on fame or fortune. With Steve it was not about celebrity - but about making the best products, and the customers will come.

STEVE JOBS' GHOST RETURNS! holy shit...how close to the man were you? what did you do together?

me. I never knew him. but I did read this article where HE DID THE EXACT SAME THING:

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=A_Mac_For_Mick.txt

...gifted the brand new Macintosh to celebrities before it came out. egads!
  • Reply 86 of 207
    ascii wrote: »
    Steve Jobs' Apple: "The computer for the rest of us."

...and cost $2500 when first released.

Aplle watch: $350

...hysterical, much?
  • Reply 87 of 207
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    that isn't how it works. you're suggesting the existence of a thing, thus the onus is on you to prove it exists. those of us who do not see this thing you are suggesting exists need not prove that we don't see it.

Great argumentation....:rolleyes:
  • Reply 88 of 207
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    STEVE JOBS' GHOST RETURNS! holy shit...how close to the man were you? what did you do together?

me. I never knew him. but I did read this article where HE DID THE EXACT SAME THING:

Stop it you're ruining the faux outrage. :p
  • Reply 89 of 207
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    At least Apple doesn't have celebrities endorsing their products while using a competitors product. Oops Samsung...:embarrass

http://macdailynews.com/2015/04/17/nick-cannon-tweets-his-love-of-samsung-galaxy-s6-camera-from-his-apple-iphone/
  • Reply 90 of 207
    chadbag wrote: »

I think you've missed all the videos and examples of the watch and what it does.  It is VERY much a continuation of the Bicycle for the Mind concept.   I suggest you read "iPhone Killer: The Secret History of the Apple Watch" on WIRED.

Ssshh, you're getting in the way of a known hater's latest tirade.
  • Reply 91 of 207
    sflocal wrote: »

What difference is this compared to when Steve Jobs showcased the Mac to Andy Warhol?  If anything, the most anti-technology people are this 1% that wouldn't know how to turn on a Macbook in sleep mode.  If Apple can make these tech-illiterate folks be excited about tech, it's great for everyone in my book.

However, I do agree with what I think you're implying.  Would Steve Jobs be catering and hobnobbing with that elite crowd?  Probably not.  Then again, I wouldn't put it past him.  Maybe Jobs would hang out with them, but Ive's would - obviously.

Jobs hung out with celebrities. do yourself a favor and read www.folklore.org, written by he people who were in the room.
  • Reply 92 of 207
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    I get it, I can have my cake and eat it too, however, I'm finding this story and imagery awfully repellent for some reason. I get that Apple has long past the days of being the underdog, the little guy that we were all pulling for, but duck-face with guicci-toting fashionistas? Ugghh!
    Time to move on dude. They are promoting a product that's probably a harder sell than say a smartphone or tablet. Everyone is on the job for this one. In the end Apple is for profit company like any other not some 'holy crusade' entity. Get over it.
  • Reply 93 of 207
    Great argumentation....:rolleyes:

nope, that's how it works. if you suggest there's an invisible green elf living under your bed, the onus is on you to demonstrate and prove that thing -- saying instead "prove that there isn't" is a fail. the supposition is on you.

on some forums it's codified into an official rule that the claimers must present facts. so again, if you're claiming something please back it up. otherwise just admit it's your narrative and not necessarily anything that exists IRL.
  • Reply 94 of 207
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Really like the Navy blue. Much prefer it to the light blue they offer now. The rest of those colors....yuck. Especially the "skin tone" bands. Hopefully we see Apple add more options for bands regularly.
  • Reply 95 of 207
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    coolfactor wrote: »
    I miss the Apple that was during the iPod era. Fun was more important than glamour.

For very many people, especially women, glamour IS fun. For many of them it is the most fun.
  • Reply 96 of 207
    flaneur wrote: »
    I don't think any of us have enough info to be sure who is written all over this. Logic says it's not her, because she is VP of retail stores. At Burberry she was CEO, and thus able to do any stunt needed for the company.

This event may have Schiller with input from Newson, Ive and maybe Ahrendts written all over it in my opinion. People seem too quick to blame Ahrendts for Apple's Watch/fashion strategy. There's more evidence to suppose that Ive is the ultimate driving force behind it.

I'm not blaming her. I've read a great deal about the type of innovation she brought to Burberry "stores". A huge part of that was blurring lines between physical stores, online stores, and social media.

Using your logic, Ive and Newson are "design" and wouldn't have a role in social media campaigns either. To wit, a recent automotive hardware/software engineer poached from BMW was given the title of Mac OSX engineer. Apple has a history of obfuscating product naming and position titles for strategic reasons. I could provide a very long list; so could you.
  • Reply 97 of 207
    ascii wrote: »
    I read the article, I don't see how the Watch continues the theme of giving everyone access to computers and thereby expanding human consciousness. In fact it seems like their entire design focus (Short Look, Glance, Lynch says: "You’re in the moment; just send it.") was on quick interations. 

Well, "in the moment," is the opposite of deep conceptual thought. Understanding requires that you see a pattern, and that requires time to pass, so that multiple examples can happen and you can see their similarities and differences. A device that encourages you to stay in the moment discourages these kind of linkages, therefore discourages understanding, and far from raising consciousness, keeps it at the basic level. So this device is most definitely not a continuation of Bicycle for the Mind.

I can see how this continues the idea of "giving everyone access to computers and thereby expanding human consciousness" because the Apple Watch is a computer. It doesn't have to have a large monitor and sit on your desk or in your pocket to fit that category. Apple is continuing to make computers more user friendly and user accessible.

Also, you mentioned that the Apple Watch focused on being "in the moment" which was contrary to deep thought. I actually think they're the same in this case. It's not about making hasty decisions, but about your watch keeping up with the speed of your mind. Most computers have had a clunky interface and Apple continues to get us closer and closer to a computer that just works, and knows what we need when we need it. Apple is saying this computer won't be the bottleneck in your workflow anymore. The watch probably seems scary until you actually try it on. I think it's one of those devices that you don't know you really want it until you use it for yourself. But Apple has ways been good at finding ways to take raw computer processing power and apply it to our lives.
  • Reply 98 of 207

Great point! I fogot about that. I didn't check that link, but I remember reading a story and seeing photos of Steve demoing an early Mac to a very young Sean Lennon with Yoko Ono in the mid-80's at their chichi Manhattan co-op. Andy Warhol was there and Steve gave him a personal, private demo, also.
  • Reply 99 of 207
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Great argumentation....image

Actually that's exactly how things are and how they should be. No one has to prove non-existence. It's existence that has to be proven. This is why it's obvious that there is no god.

• Reply 100 of 207
    supadav03 wrote: »
    Really like the Navy blue. Much prefer it to the light blue they offer now. The rest of those colors....yuck. Especially the "skin tone" bands. Hopefully we see Apple add more options for bands regularly.

I'd love a space gray band for the 42mm Watch I want.