Jony Ive and Marc Newson reveal special Apple Watch Sport Band colors at Milan gala

Comments

• Reply 121 of 207
    citycity Posts: 522member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

At $49 each, I'm expecting all 170 Crayola colors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I don't think those are $49. They look to be Apple Watch Edition sport bands with gold pins.

The pins may be transferable from Sport band to Sport band. Apple will make a lot of money by selling accessories for accessories. 

• Reply 122 of 207
    It's no wonder there won't be many Apple watches to ship this month if they are gifting them all to the glitterati...
  • Reply 123 of 207
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Are you kidding? This is just the beginning. Apple has taken a giant step into a completely different sandbox from where they started. And unless Apple completely redefines the fashion industry, this kind of thing will continue as they compete for prestige and acceptance by the fashion elite. Fashion is defined by seasons and Apple will likely take steps to keep up with it, ensuring not only that their watch is technologically up to date, but on the cutting edge of fashion trends. Their actions of late are proof of their seriousness to be considered as part of the fashionable paragons, and that they will do what it takes to achieve that acceptance. Apple clearly doesn't want to be seen as a tech company that makes a premiere smartwatch, they seemingly want to be a prestige watchmaker in their own right.

I agree to a certain extent ! As Angela Ahrendts put it, they are introducing a new category of products. What we are seeing is Apple's progress to tackle that need. The luxury market appears robust and is relevant to Apple's design strength. The luxury market is also being transformed by technologies right now. Again, Apple's strength. In China, people already treat Apple like a luxury product company. So like it or not, Apple is already there, partly shaped by their customers.

But Apple also has other thrusts. The green movement, the healthcare movement, the rumored car R&D, more phone-centric development, etc.

We will have to see how Apple integrate all these direction into their product line. Should be interesting to follow.

In any case, I don't buy every single MacBook, so it doesn't really matter to me if Apple release one every year or every season. They should do whatever it takes to sharpen and strengthen their capabilities. I'll buy when I need to.

• Reply 124 of 207
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Apple palling around with firearms manufacturers? Everything about this story makes me vomit in my mouth a little.
  • Reply 125 of 207
    camccamc Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Why not?  Are you a hoplophobe?

Not really... at least police forces have to be equipped with them.

Marketing events, though, tend to be accurately planned; and while I agree that someone has to build weapons for the aforementioned reason, I simply don't get why any Apple product at any level should be paired with weapon builders.

There are plenty of other powerful brands here in Italy to be associated with. Just for the records, Beretta rifles have been sold to such peaceful souls as the late Commander Gheddafi; other thousand of these toys have been delivered to Egypt, Turkmenistan... 

Sorry, that makes me feel uncomfortable.

• Reply 126 of 207
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tyler82 wrote: »
    Apple palling around with firearms manufacturers? Everything about this story makes me vomit in my mouth a little.

I'd buy an Apple Pistol. You already know it would be the most advanced personal protection device made.
  • Reply 127 of 207
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd buy an Apple Gun.

You mean like... Use Touch ID to activate. GPS to signal location to law enforcement when the gun fires. Take a panoramic photo almost at the same time (but before/after the gun flare) ?  [run away]

• Reply 128 of 207
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    patsu wrote: »
    In any case, I don't buy every single MacBook, so it doesn't really matter to me if Apple release one every year or every season. They should do whatever it takes to sharpen and strengthen their capabilities. I'll buy when I need to.
    Right, this made me realize that the closest thing Apple has done to this in the past is the iMac. It started out in Bondi blue, but every update resulted in multi-colors, elite options, and wild patterns. It truly was like a clothing designer updating a staple shirt every season. And I know some fashionable businesses whose trade is based on how their clients perceive them, and would update their iMacs accordingly with every new model Apple released. It also had the effect of giving them the latest technology too, and considering the relatively low cost of the watch compared to the iMac, I can see similar parallels as Apple gets into updating the look of not just the bands, but the watch itself.
  • Reply 129 of 207
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    patsu wrote: »

You mean like... Use Touch ID to activate. GPS to signal location to law enforcement when the gun fires. Take a panoramic photo almost at the same time (but before/after the gun flare) ?  [run away]

Touch ID to activate would be a great safety feature.
  • Reply 130 of 207
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CamC View Post

Marketing events, though, tend to be accurately planned; and while I agree that someone has to build weapons for the aforementioned reason, I simply don't get why any Apple product at any level should be paired with weapon builders.

There are plenty of other powerful brands here in Italy to be associated with. Just for the records, Beretta rifles have been sold to such peaceful souls as the late Commander Gheddafi; other thousand of these toys have been delivered to Egypt, Turkmenistan... 

And to millions of law abiding citizens in the US who use Beretta to hunt, sport, and home defense. 

This show was also not a "firearms expo" but rather a design/fashion event to which the wife of the president of Beretta was invited.  Like Apple had anything to do with it.

I suggest you get help for your hoplophobia.  

• Reply 131 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Touch ID to activate would be a great safety feature.

Not really.  When you NEED it to go "Bang" you don't need "Try Again" and after the third time enter your security code.

The single woman who is being stalked and the stalker barges into her apartment with a knife does not need TouchID on her pistol.

• Reply 132 of 207
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    tyler82 wrote: »

Can't wait for this cliché to die. Maybe you could be a little bit original and choke on it at least?
  • Reply 133 of 207
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Except Will Carling has a Watch with red sport band and it's not an Edition Watch.
    Apple has never sold a red-colored product that wasn't part of (RED). Now we have a red Sport band that implies the wearer donated money to (RED). Likewise for the Edition Red Modern Buckle given to Drake and Katy Perry. Again, considering Apple has never sold a red product that didn't contribute money to (RED) the implication is that's what it represents, which is especially egregious since that watch represents the most expensive product Apple has ever sold, but despite that (RED) gets nothing from the sale as far as we know. Based on this I presume the needs of the fashionable outstrip the needs of the charitable, and the watch will be the first Apple product to deviate from their previous history with (RED), which is too bad considering the price tag on the Edition. That would indeed be a substantial purchase/donation otherwise.
  • Reply 134 of 207
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Are you kidding? This is just the beginning. Apple has taken a giant step into a completely different sandbox from where they started. And unless Apple completely redefines the fashion industry, this kind of thing will continue as they compete for prestige and acceptance by the fashion elite. Fashion is defined by seasons and Apple will likely take steps to keep up with it, ensuring not only that their watch is technologically up to date, but on the cutting edge of fashion trends. Their actions of late are proof of their seriousness to be considered as part of the fashionable paragons, and that they will do what it takes to achieve that acceptance. Apple clearly doesn't want to be seen as a tech company that makes a premiere smartwatch, they seemingly want to be a prestige watchmaker in their own right.

Do we know that people at this event are part of the "fashion elite"? As I pointed out in another post the Salone Del Mobile is a trade show mostly focused on furniture design and Milan Design Week is geared towards product design, not fashion. Milan Fashion Week, where you'd see people like Anna Wintour, took place at the end of February.
  • Reply 135 of 207
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Apple has never sold a red-colored product that wasn't part of (RED). Now we have a red Sport band that implies the wearer donated money to (RED). Likewise for the Edition Red Modern Buckle given to Drake and Katy Perry. Again, considering Apple has never sold a red product that didn't contribute money to (RED) the implication is that's what it represents, which is especially egregious since that watch represents the most expensive product Apple has ever sold, but despite that (RED) gets nothing from the sale as far as we know. Based on this I presume the needs of the fashionable outstrip the needs of the charitable, and the watch will be the first Apple product to deviate from their previous history with (RED), which is too bad considering the price tag on the Edition. That would indeed be a substantial purchase/donation otherwise.

Who at Apple makes this decision? Tim Cook? The gold watch with red band makes complete sense, and the red Sport band looks really nice too. It is odd that these wouldn't fall under (RED) as Apple has been a big supporter of that charity. I mean let's not forget Jony and Marc did a big Sotheby's auction for (RED) that ultimately raised $40+ for the charity.
  • Reply 136 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CamC View Post

Well, lets see; Marc Newson does design work for Beretta, so perhaps that's the reason?

And what powerful brands would that? Fiat? Don't make me laugh. Fiat is a joke.

• Reply 137 of 207
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    This comment section is exploding this morning. I don't want to go off topic too much, but about the whole god thing.. I think it's different than your example. I think the only one suffering from folding your arms and saying you won't believe there's a God until someone proves it is yourself. I personally think God is obvious, and we would have to disprove him. Here's why.. There's stuff. Where'd the stuff come from? The end.

Or maybe in your mind, everything is the way it is because it is the way it is. Planets circle the sun because they should. Gravity keeps cars driving on the ground because it's the law. Space exists because it's there.

I love how those who attribute the existence of the universe and everything in it to a God feel that they can question others views, even implying an absurdity to the explanation they think we have in our minds. All the while never seeing the irony of the fact that their own God explanation leaves the very same questions unanswered. Pray tell, how, and from what origin did your God come into existence? You see, you've only managed to add a meaningless layer to the question of how it all came to be. I look forward to your reply.
  • Reply 138 of 207
    I love how those who attribute the existence of the universe and everything in it to a God feel that they can question others views, even implying an absurdity to the explanation they think we have in our minds. All the while never seeing the irony of the fact that their own God explanation leaves the very same questions unanswered. Pray tell, how, and from what origin did your God come into existence? You see, you've only managed to add a meaningless layer to the question of how it all came to be. I look forward to your reply.

Ya, myself and others just believe God had no beginning, but has just always existed. It's hard for us to understand living in 3 dimensions, with time as a dimension we only experience bit by bit. But I heard someone say that time could have only have been created by someone who lives outside of time, and space by someone who lives outside of space.
  • Reply 139 of 207
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    My guess is Apple is giving the high-end stores that will carry the watches exclusive or at least wider options hand picked by them as a premium for their clientele that better reflects the stores and their customers
  • Reply 140 of 207
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Pray tell, how, and from what origin did your God come into existence? You see, you've only managed to add a meaningless layer to the question of how it all came to be. I look forward to your reply.

What meaningless layer?  If God exists, He would use natural physical laws to accomplish His designs, so what you see as an additional layer would be THE layer.