Google to discontinue YouTube support on older iOS devices, Apple TVs

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
The YouTube app will no longer function on many older iOS devices and Apple TVs after today, a consequence of the YouTube Data API being updated to support newer features, according to an official Google document.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users are safe as long their device supports iOS 7 or later -- the oldest option being the iPhone 4. Devices capped at iOS 6 or earlier will have to visit m.youtube.com through Safari or another browser. Apple TV owners with a first- or second-generation model, meanwhile, will not be able to access YouTube at all starting Tuesday.

Google is also discontinuing native support for some non-Apple platforms, such as Google TV devices still running version 2, a few game consoles, and a collection of Sony and Panasonic TVs and Blu-ray players. In general, affected products date back to 2012 or earlier.

In terms of Apple products, the change will likely have the most impact on owners of the second-generation Apple TV, which is still a relatively practical device. It in fact supports most of the same features as the third-generation model, the main difference being the latter's support for 1080p.

Users of some of the affected devices are finding that if they search for content the first result will always be a multi-language YouTube video (below) informing them of the shutdown.

Google notes that people can export subscriptions to an RSS reader by downloading their personal OPML file and importing it into an app such as Feedly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67

What if you have a device that has the built-in YouTube app?

• Reply 2 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    What if you have a device that has the built-in YouTube app?

What part of "The YouTube app will no longer function on many older iOS devices" didn't you understand?
  • Reply 3 of 67
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Safari - no big deal
  • Reply 4 of 67
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    So simply it won't work on devices that are no longer supported by their own manufacturers, following Google dropping 'legacy' YouTube support. It sucks, but I suppose it was going to happen at some point?
  • Reply 5 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What part of "The YouTube app will no longer function on many older iOS devices" didn't you understand?

That's not a Google developed one. ;)

• Reply 6 of 67
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Judging by how poorly YouTube works on ANY iOS device, I thought Google already HAD discontinued support!

Their app writing team should hang their heads in shame.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

His question was/is a legitimate one, no need to get snippy with him...

• Reply 8 of 67
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

Is Apple not updating applications on the ? TV 2?

Has it gotten any of the channel changes they've been making?

That is really the only reason I can see why that model would be dropped off, since I doubt 1080p support is required to utilize the newer set of APIs (and especially since Youtube happily downsamples). 

Edit: It just doesn't make sense to me for some of the devices. I understand not wanting to maintain a suite of applications across an unknown number of devices, but some of them seem so... random.

• Reply 9 of 67

That's not a Google developed one. ;)

It's still the YouTube app regardless of who developed it, but I understand your question.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

All developers have to eventually deprecate older software. Apple does this all the time. Same with Microsoft. No difference with Google. They announced this EOL more than a year ago. Apps written in v2 API are deprecated. Is it really worth it for developers to spend resources supporting older devices? Apparently the answer is No.

• Reply 11 of 67
    magman1979 wrote: »

His question was/is a legitimate one, no need to get snippy with him...

What's a little harmless snippyness amongst us regulars? ;)
  • Reply 12 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

It's still the YouTube app regardless of who developed it, but I understand your question.

Developed with v2 API which is now obsolete. Doesn't matter who wrote it, Google or third party. Going forward all YouTube apps need to use v3 API.

• Reply 13 of 67
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    nobodyy wrote: »
    Is Apple not updating applications on the ? TV 2?

Has it gotten any of the channel changes they've been making?

That is really the only reason I can see why that model would be dropped off, since I doubt 1080p support is required to utilize the newer set of APIs (and especially since Youtube happily downsamples). 

Edit: It just doesn't make sense to me for some of the devices. I understand not wanting to maintain a suite of applications across an unknown number of devices, but some of them seem so... random.

I agree it seems weird. I have an ? TV 3 which has the exact same YouTube app. Why would mine work and the ? TV 2 not?
  • Reply 14 of 67
    If you are holding onto devices longer than 3 years then I cannot imagine this being that important to you. Aren't some of the devices in question 6 years old? Move along. Move along.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    That's the end of the premium advert-free experience on older devices.

Poo.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member

I'm sorry, but for it not to work on a 2nd Gen AppleTV is just plain dumb.  The only difference is 720 vs 1080 on 3rd gen.  Apple regularly updates my 2nd Gen still.  Its hooked to a 720p tv.  I will not buy a new AppleTV just for Youtube... guess I'll be air playing from my iPhone.  This is really dumb for Youtube to not just update the older apps.

• Reply 17 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I can understand this, (/s) ... it's not as if Google's clients don't all have the latest version of Android is it?

ROFL

Stand by for Google's resident advocate, Gatorguy, to post links to prove Android user update ...
  • Reply 18 of 67
    HA! I predict they would go back on what they said. I knew the days of ad-free YouTube were numbered.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    If you are holding onto devices longer than 3 years then I cannot imagine this being that important to you. Aren't some of the devices in question 6 years old? Move along. Move along.

Should have said 6 months, which is ancient in Android years.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    The Usual Suspects defending Google.