Apple Watch wrist detection failing with some tattoos, users complain

Comments

• Reply 21 of 214
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Apple must be racist then.... 

Ha, no. I think they're very progressive in their thinking. 

However, this made me think - are there any people of color in the Apple management team? Microsoft & Google boast lots of Indian-americans on their team, I can't think one in Apple's team. I don't think for a second that Apple is racist in a corporate sense, but it gave me reason to pause.

• Reply 22 of 214
    Also, he's ruining the design of his Tat by covering it with the watch.
  • Reply 23 of 214
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

ROTFLMFAO! What next? Any of you inked-up ignoramuses know what "consequences" means? Guess Apple Watch isn't meant for everyone. Wonder how those sensors read scar tissue or whatever's left after a tattoo removal.

• Reply 24 of 214
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mike1 wrote: »
    Beyonce was photographed with one, right?
    Doh! Right. So was Pharell, and Drake. I was just thinking about those I've seen from actual customers since the launch. No "average" customers wearing one that wasn't white. I'm sure they will turn up though ...

This does make you wonder what criteria the sensors are using to determine what constitutes a real wrist, and how easy it would be to circumvent.

But Apple will have to deal with this, a lot of those celebrities from whom they are seeking endorsements have arm tattoos... ;-)
  • Reply 25 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Melanin is a natural variation in human skin. Ink is not. Life choices have consequences. Not a judgement. If you enjoy body art, fine. Just don't expect products to account for your choices. On the other hand, it's good that this is known. If true, Apple should make it clear to avoid disappointed buyers.

Agreed.

• Reply 26 of 214
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    Jesus tapdancing christ people! Today I learned Appleinsider commenters are narrow minded as hell.

I'd probably hire someone with a large tattoo over a non-tattood person. Shows they will take risk and don't gave a f*ck what others think. Admirable qualities when surrounded by lemmings.
  • Reply 27 of 214
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

ROTFLMFAO! What next? Any of you inked-up ignoramuses know what "consequences" means? Guess Apple Watch isn't meant for everyone. Wonder how those sensors read scar tissue or whatever's left after a tattoo removal.

You really have to wonder?

Obviously, with a questionable degree of accuracy.

• Reply 28 of 214
    cia wrote: »
    Jesus tapdancing christ people! Today I learned Appleinsider commenters are narrow minded as hell.

I'd probably hire someone with a large tattoo over a non-tattood person. Shows they will take risk and don't gave a f*ck what others think. Admirable qualities when surrounded by lemmings.

Actually, it probably tells me they get stone drunk.
  • Reply 29 of 214
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snailer View Post

Also, he's ruining the design of his Tat by covering it with the watch.

"He's not wearing it right."

• Reply 30 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CIA View Post

It tells some people that maybe they don't consider the long term consequences of their actions before taking them.

• Reply 31 of 214

Tim Cooks says not to wear it like that. You're doing it wrong.

• Reply 32 of 214
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    A true fashion dilemma.
  • Reply 33 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

You really have to wonder?

Know what the word "rhetorical" means?

Oooo! Here's an idea!

• Reply 34 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

A true fashion dilemma.

Choose your "cool"...tattoo or AppleWatch, choice is yours.

• Reply 35 of 214
    I'm so glad down I didn't opt for that full body dragon tattoo. Talk about dodging a bullet.
  • Reply 36 of 214
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

I'm so glad down I didn't opt for that full body dragon tattoo. Talk about dodging a bullet.

You don't look like a dick AND you get to use an Apple Watch! Win win.

• Reply 37 of 214
    h3nrchh3nrch Posts: 11member
    This thread is a despicable reflection of the blind zealotry and hostile nature of extreme fanboys. Shameful and pathetic.
  • Reply 38 of 214
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nrch View Post

This thread is a despicable reflection of the blind zealotry and hostile nature of extreme fanboys. Shameful and pathetic.

Someone got an "I love mum" tattoo?

• Reply 39 of 214
    cia wrote: »

There's probably a self-selection bias at work here: anyone who thinks tattoos are "wrong" will express that opinion. Those who don't think it is wrong will not, and you won't hear from them in the forums. I don't think there is anything wrong with tattoos, and I'm sorry that Apple's implementation of wrist detection is reportedly not working for those customers. But I do not believe a company that puts itself at the "intersection of technology and liberal arts" is in any way against tattoos.
  • Reply 40 of 214
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Interesting. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen an ?Watch on a non-white wrist.

You mean like Pharell, Beyonce, Kobe and Drake?