Apple Watch wrist detection failing with some tattoos, users complain

Comments

• Reply 61 of 214
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Boy, oh boy. I'd make such a person last on my list of potential hires...unless I was hiring someone for my tattoo parlor.

Barry Goldwater would be your favorite ;)

http://mic.com/articles/78927/14-historical-figures-you-probably-didn-t-know-had-tattoos

• Reply 62 of 214
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by websnap View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I have never seen a tattoo that makes me think MORE of a person. This is why many people get tattoos that they can hide, because a person with visible tattoos does not convey a person who respects himself, and if a person does not respect himself - what would make me think he will respect me, my finances, my business or my best interests?

I have a tattoo but no one can see it (shoulder, hidden by t-shirt sleeve) and that is a personal choice, as was the choice to get one, as is your opinion of people with body art. You are choosing to think that way. There are plenty of people with no tattoos who will disrespect you, your business and your best interests, but because they may not have THAT distinguishing feature, maybe they are more difficult to remember for you.

It’s easy to associate something bad with particular people when they have something to make them stand out. We forget those that do us harm that blend in – could be something for you to work on.

I am particular with the crowds I associate myself with. I am upwardly successful, I have done well with my career, I have made 'mostly' wise decisions. One key to success is do not intentionally do things that make you look like a reject.

When you cover yourself with "body art" ( or vandalize your skin with trash - eye of the beholder viewpoint), you associate yourself with low class gang members, prison inmates, circus freaks, bikers and groups bent on criminal activity; you then express outrage that "how dare I judge you".

You judged yourself - you said, non-verbally "I have no respect for myself, and no respect for my body."

They are called "Tramp Stamps" for a reason. There is an entire medical industry being built on this phenomena of short-sighted, non-critical thinking crowd. You pay a few bucks to a low talent hack to get them installed, and major bucks to a trained professional to have them removed.
  • Reply 63 of 214
    dachardachar Posts: 330member

With luck there will be lots of returns and then the rest of us can receive our watches 2 weeks earlier /S

• Reply 64 of 214
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    splif wrote: »

My statement was based on today and certain regional realities (most tat wearers in my area are current or former gang members).
  • Reply 65 of 214
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This topic ranks among the items today that couldn't possibly be more insignificant.

If somebody has a silly tattoo on their wrist, then don't buy an Apple Watch. Problem solved. I don't give a crap at all about anybody who might have a wrist tattoo and how that might interact or not interact with an Apple Watch.

• Reply 66 of 214

For those hating on tattoos: What if Apple sold a watch that was a tattoo? It is not out of the realm of possibility. I don't have a tattoo but if I could get technology that became part of my skin, I think I would.

• Reply 67 of 214
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Maybe it was taken into account and there was a chance the watch would function fine a good percentage of the time. Maybe this ink-stained wretch has iron rich blood that's wreaking havoc with the sensors.

If true it should've been stated.
  • Reply 68 of 214
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If true it should've been stated.

Now that's ridiculous.
  • Reply 69 of 214
    inkling wrote: »
    Ah yes, yet another reason why a tattoo is foolish. It confuses an Apple Watch.

In my case, I've always envisioned myself a downed pilot in WWII, able to speak fluent German and having escaped a grim POW camp. Absent a tattoo, there'd be no "identifying marks" for the Gestapo to put on my wanted poster. I could smile as I went through checkpoint after checkpoint with my dyed hair and forged papers. Take that you stinking Nazis!

Yeah, that's imaginary. But who knows what can happen. There's no easier way for someone who means you ill to identify you than a tattoo. Don't get one.

--Michael W. Perry, author of Chesterton on War and Peace: Battling the Ideas and Movements that Led to Nazism and World War II

Says the guy who goes by Inkling :lol:
  • Reply 70 of 214
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I am particular with the crowds I associate myself with. I am upwardly successful, I have done well with my career, I have made 'mostly' wise decisions. One key to success is do not intentionally do things that make you look like a reject.

I am also particular with the groups I associate myself with as well, but sometimes I have clients I’ve never met or would typically run in my circles – do my best not to prejudge them since times have changed and there era you are referring to is long gone, other than in your own mind.

Quote:

When you cover yourself with "body art" ( or vandalize your skin with trash - eye of the beholder viewpoint), you associate yourself with low class gang members, prison inmates, circus freaks, bikers and groups bent on criminal activity; you then express outrage that "how dare I judge you".

Good lord, that’s a lot of prejudice in one line! that’s sad. There are many good people who have them and don’t cause anyone harm, and a lot of people who don’t have them that do irreparable harm. Again, you usage of tattoos as a way to lable them says more about you and the era you mind is living in than it does about the people you have prejudice for.

Quote:

You judged yourself - you said, non-verbally "I have no respect for myself, and no respect for my body."

I have tons of respect for my body. I have had my tattoo for over a decade and is as much a part of me as any birthmark or blemish I have. 

Quote:

They are called "Tramp Stamps" for a reason. There is an entire medical industry being built on this phenomena of short-sighted, non-critical thinking crowd. You pay a few bucks to a low talent hack to get them installed, and major bucks to a trained professional to have them removed.

Tramp stamps are a particular tattoo named for a particular reason – besides, apple watches don’t go there. There is an entire medical industry being built on hair loss too, hardly a barometer for anything. 

• Reply 71 of 214
    jroyjroy Posts: 29member
    h3nrch wrote: »
    This thread is a despicable reflection of the blind zealotry and hostile nature of extreme fanboys. Shameful and pathetic.
    HAHAHAHAHA! Oooh can't catch my breath... HEE HEE HEE! Thanks for the lulz
  • Reply 72 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This topic ranks among the items today that couldn't possibly be more insignificant.

If somebody has a silly tattoo on their wrist, then don't buy an Apple Watch. Problem solved. I don't give a crap at all about anybody who might have a wrist tattoo and how that might interact or not interact with an Apple Watch.

You don’t care about ingenuity? That an unforeseen problem arose that, with some creativity, can be overcome with adaptable technology?

• Reply 73 of 214
    Quote:

You don’t care about ingenuity? That an unforeseen problem arose that, with some creativity, can be overcome with adaptable technology?

What I don't care about is people with wrist tattoos. I just don't see it as any big issue, and I also don't believe that Apple should go out of their way to fix anything related to this issue, if it is indeed an issue.

• Reply 74 of 214
    Actually, it probably tells me they get stone drunk.

Did they drink those stones on the rocks? :lol:
  • Reply 75 of 214
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

People mutilate themselves and then complain when there are consequences.  They should take responsibility for their own choices.

• Reply 76 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What I don't care about is people with wrist tattoos. I just don't see it as any big issue, and I also don't believe that Apple should go out of their way to fix anything related to this issue, if it is indeed an issue.

That pretty short-sighted – glad you are not on the development team. A lot of times these fixes solve other things we didn’t see coming.

• Reply 77 of 214
    You 'people' trying to demoralize others' who choose to get tattooed and make up BS reasons need to take a look in the mirror. Does trying to justify their reason for getting tattoos make you feel better about yourself?

I happen to think sheepish people are unattractive, but to each their own. %uD83C%uDF7B
  • Reply 78 of 214
    Quote:

That pretty short-sighted – glad you are not on the development team. A lot of times these fixes solve other things we didn’t see coming.

You can be very glad that I'm not in charge of Apple. Vast amounts of people and various groups would be upset if I were.

• Reply 79 of 214
    cambocambo Posts: 38member
    That's what you get for having a stupid, trendy tattoo on your wrist. Those things looked horrible on the inmates of the past, even worse now. Like Rap 'Music', it's a trend that has to stop.
  • Reply 80 of 214
    usb-usb- Posts: 22member

removed