Review: Apple Watch is beautiful, but rough around the edges

123578

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 146
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stephenrobles View Post

     



    Especially with better / more third party apps to come in the next few months, usefulness of the Watch may improve. Some of the frustrations (like Siri, Passbook) are up to Apple for updating. I do agree it's hard to show to other people. I let some try it on themselves, but cranking my wrist to show people the apps, etc., was difficult. Also hard to convey what it is actually useful for in just a few seconds with someone.




    I have no doubt that it will. Third-party app development is what made the iPhone and iPad essential. Build it and they will come.

     

    Speaking of which, I wore my Watch to a ballgame this week and the usher at the gate asked me about it.

  • Reply 82 of 146
    A very thoughtful review, thanks.
  • Reply 83 of 146



    The apple manual says there is no reminder watch app, but tells you how reminders are sent to your watch from your phone and can be created by the watch.  Has lots of other good info.  A good read for everyone.  http://help.apple.com/watch/#/apdb6d659efa

  • Reply 84 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by peteo View Post



    Pretty much agree with most of the stuff in this article, though I think the device is a 4 out of 5 for me.



    Here's my gripes:

    3rd party apps take to long to load, if they do at all. Also have allot of issues with glances updating. I know the issues here are with the SDK (the transit app developer said apple changed how watch apps refreshed just before launch) 3rd party apps are limited. No use of crown, can not swipe to scroll in maps etc.. Hopefully WWDC will bring fully native 3rd party apps.

    Hey Siri works about 70% of the time, when it finally launches sometimes it stops listening and you need to click on the mic icon. would like to have it send without needing to click send (maybe say Siri send during dictation)

    a Passbook glance that updated to show the card of the place closest to you would be a god sent.

    Theres no way to for a notification sent from your phone to open the apple watch app for more info/actions

    Taptic engine could be stronger. Hard to tell different taps during directions (though i am learning) wish you could make different taps for different people (like you can on the iphone)

    Can not see more than one month in the calendar app (Why?). Can not add an appointment (using dictation of course)

    No notes app, no reminders app (umm hello)



    Gmail, hangouts, wink, sonos 3rd party apps Please!



    What I like:

    Battery life has been good for me. Easly get a full day.

    Love getting notifications on on my wrist (after filtering with the apple watch app) and replying to (some) them

    Love the watch faces and the quick info items on them (like the weather)

    Love the weather glances (when they update)

    Love playing games, yes GAMES.. Check out Dungeon monsters, rune, black jack and video poker.

    Like paying for stuff with the watch (apple pay and passbook)







    So I tweet Kevin Lynch about Passbook and this is what he said:



    Kevin Lynch [email protected]

    @peteostro Pete, location based passes show up in the notification area like on iPhone -- swipe down from clock face to view

    http://help.apple.com/watch/#/apdb6d659efa

  • Reply 85 of 146
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post



    "Ever since Continuity features brought cross-platform compatibility in iOS 8 and Yosemite, it seems that an unnecessary number of devices alert us to every phone call and iMessage. Noises come from our iMac, iPhone and iPad, all at the same time."



    Hell, yes. This is my main grip with Apple, given the 12 Apple devices in the room...

    My sister sends a series of Skype messages to my gf and I in a group chat? Horror. It also makes the Watch beep image



    And if it was only Skype, but indeed, even iMessages doesn't handle "multiple devices" correctly.



    I have a feeling that iOS 9 will round this out a bit, and provide user options for which devices receive alerts (without having to disable any functionality).

  • Reply 86 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stephenrobles View Post

     



    Haven't for me yet but I'll try a run by Starbucks later today. 


    http://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd4362807a0

  • Reply 87 of 146
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,519member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

     



    I see the trees. I see more of the forest than most could appreciate. The problem is that people are seeing this as a sapling (1.0). Apple transplanted fully grown sequoias to make this device. A 1.0 device implies that this is the first product. Its not. Apple have been heading to this device since I had my first MP110 (Newton). The form factor keeps improving. The UI evolves. But this is a natural branch of that lineage. Calling it a 1.0 device ignores that heritage and what has come before. Apple's 1.0 watch device is arguably the 6G iPod nano. Think (differently) about it. 


    You seem to be doing some contortions to twist this into not being a 1.0 device.  Perhaps just trying to be different for the sake of it?

     

    This is the first device (from Apple) with any of these specific components in a product:

    - The watch case & its new manufacturing processes

    - System chip with all functions integrated into one, as a sealed unit

    - Taptic engine

    - Heart rate sensor

    - Completely new approach for straps/bands, new materials, new to the industry mechanism for easily swapping bands

    - Force touch screen and digital crown as part of UI

    - New OS and UI which pull it together

     

    On top of that is its location of wear, its user interaction model, and use cases.

     

    To argue this is not a generation 1 device from Apple is simply trying to be a contrarian for its own sake.

  • Reply 88 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lundkeman View Post

     

    http://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd4362807a0




    Just drove through Starbucks. No Passbook notification appeared on the Watch.

  • Reply 89 of 146
    brlawyer wrote: »

    Incorrect. It should have been 2 out of 5 AT BEST.

    - Fugly;
    - A solution in search of a problem;
    - Expensive;
    - Ridiculous battery life;
    - Depends on the iPhone to function;
    - CANNOT download/operate apps on its own;
    - Using it drains iPhone battery as well;
    - FUGLY.

    In other words, a very generous review in my opinion. AI should be praised for its relative honesty, at least.

    So as per my predictions, here is what we have under Cook's watch:

    - A terrible decision to distribute dividends, which simply finished with Apple's reputation as a growth stock;
    - A terrible decision to buy Dr. "Dre"'s Beats - what for, who the heck knows?
    - A terrible decision in launching the new, beautiful, underpowered and port-less Cube-like proof of concept called MacBook;
    - And finally, a terrible decision to launch the AWatch.

    Now can we get back to launching new Macs, please? Otherwise, let's have Gil Amelio or Woz back on board, then. 

    Hahaha! What's for dinner: Apple-is-doomed meme salad. Nuance-free, fact-free. Delicious.

    You forgot the mention "Steve Jobs would never" and "Apple hates Pro users." Those are always good for a laugh. Also, if you're going to disparage Tim Cook, call him "Timmy."

    I wonder where Constable Odo is these days...?
  • Reply 90 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stephenrobles View Post

     



    Just drove through Starbucks. No Passbook notification appeared on the Watch.




    Is iPhone mirroring on for Passbook?

  • Reply 91 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

     

    You seem to be doing some contortions to twist this into not being a 1.0 device.  Perhaps just trying to be different for the sake of it?

     

    This is the first device (from Apple) with any of these specific components in a product:

    - The watch case & its new manufacturing processes

    - System chip with all functions integrated into one, as a sealed unit

    - Taptic engine

    - Heart rate sensor

    - Completely new approach for straps/bands, new materials, new to the industry mechanism for easily swapping bands

    - Force touch screen and digital crown as part of UI

    - New OS and UI which pull it together

     

    On top of that is its location of wear, its user interaction model, and use cases.

     

    To argue this is not a generation 1 device from Apple is simply trying to be a contrarian for its own sake.


    This is a 6G Apple iPod nano. The watch face (and may more like it) was supplied by Apple.

    Is the aWatch really the 1.0 device you claim it is? 

     

    As a second or third gen device, the aWatch has more features (improved form factor, materials, UI/OS improvements). You expect that. 



    But, the nano did have an inbuilt pedometer (I think it was the first apple prod with that but could be wrong) as well as an FM radio.

    http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/04/apple_updates_ipod_nano_with_improved_interface_expanded_fitness_features

  • Reply 92 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    For the question of, "Is it worth it?" I will speak from my personal experience. I have two young boys, both wanting our attention and equally distracted by a variety of things. As we put them to bed, inevitably my iPhone was in my pocket. If something dinged or beeped, I would check it and fall down the rabbit hole, disengaging from the moment.



    Then one child wants to play a game on it, the other asks to see What Does the Fox Say? for the thousandth time, and everything is now about the phone, again. Last night, there was no phone in my pocket. It was laying on my dresser since we got home. We read a story together and shut out the light.



    I showed our boys the Solar clock face and we huddled around the Watch. My youngest turned the Digital Crown and watched the Sun go up and down for a few seconds. Then we sent an audio message to the grandparents, from the Watch, and went to bed.



    There was no game to play, no video to watch, no five inch screen to illuminate the entire room. I got to be physically and mentally present, without distraction, and without my phone. That was worth it.

     

    This is perhaps both the most difficult thing to describe as well as one of the greatest benefits of Apple Watch - not what it does or does not do, but what it allows you to not do (that you didn't need to do anyway but usually would).  Ironic that a 'watch' tells time, and Watch does that, and saves time.

     

    I think you articulated it well.

  • Reply 93 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lundkeman View Post

     



    Is iPhone mirroring on for Passbook?




    It is, double checked.

  • Reply 94 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

     

    This is a 6G Apple iPod nano. The watch face (and may more like it) was supplied by Apple.

    Is the aWatch really the 1.0 device you claim it is? 

     

    As a second or third gen device, the aWatch has more features (improved form factor, materials, UI/OS improvements). You expect that. 



    But, the nano did have an inbuilt pedometer (I think it was the first apple prod with that but could be wrong) as well as an FM radio.

    http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/04/apple_updates_ipod_nano_with_improved_interface_expanded_fitness_features




    Nano required the Nike+ chip in your sneaker to count steps.

  • Reply 95 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stephenrobles View Post

     



    Nano required the Nike+ chip in your sneaker to count steps.


     

    Ummmm. No. This model didn't.



    "The new model has an "improved fitness experience," with no need for an external Nike+ sensor to track runs or walks." (read the link I posted).

  • Reply 96 of 146
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,511member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post





    yeah all indoors doing all the fitness tracking and such. No not disable but know the difference between steering and raising your arm to look at it. If it had a GPS in it could see you were moving like drive and not turn on, but then again their would be times while driving you would want to look at it.

    Yes, and there would be times when you were merely a passenger in a car and wanted to look at it.

     

    Disabling an ? Watch based on GPS would likely be a very challenging problem, all things considered (like the two we mentioned above).  It's probably not even worth the attempt.  At some point, drivers just need to take responsibility.  Some won't, and there will be wrecks as a result, but probably not enough to raise it up to a major societal issue.

  • Reply 97 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

     

     

    Ummmm. No. This model didn't.



    "The new model has an "improved fitness experience," with no need for an external Nike+ sensor to track runs or walks." (read the link I posted).




    I stand corrected! If that model Nano had bluetooth built-in it would have been an attractive product.

  • Reply 98 of 146
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

    I'm still very surprised by the amount of people (site admins included) across the web that seem to be completely clueless on what ? WATCH is.

     

    It is an iPhone accessory, that is meant to take many iPhone tasks that are more appropriate to a wrist worn device, and make it so.

     

    It seems the people who GET THIS, are extremely happy with ? WATCH and have not been surprised by anything.

    My main goal with ? WATCH is to be able to check things like Time, Notifications, etc. without having to pull out and unlock my iPhone. Considering that is precisely what this product was designed for, there are no surprises waiting for me when it arrives.

  • Reply 99 of 146
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

     



    Incorrect. It should have been 2 out of 5 AT BEST.

     

    - Fugly;

    - A solution in search of a problem;

    - Expensive;

    - Ridiculous battery life;

    - Depends on the iPhone to function;

    - CANNOT download/operate apps on its own;

    - Using it drains iPhone battery as well;

    - FUGLY.

     

    In other words, a very generous review in my opinion. AI should be praised for its relative honesty, at least.

     

    So as per my predictions, here is what we have under Cook's watch:

     

    - A terrible decision to distribute dividends, which simply finished with Apple's reputation as a growth stock;

    - A terrible decision to buy Dr. "Dre"'s Beats - what for, who the heck knows?

    - A terrible decision in launching the new, beautiful, underpowered and port-less Cube-like proof of concept called MacBook;

    - And finally, a terrible decision to launch the AWatch.

     

    Now can we get back to launching new Macs, please? Otherwise, let's have Gil Amelio or Woz back on board, then. 




    Yawn.

  • Reply 100 of 146
    I wrote and great response comparing the apple watch to the Gear S watch but moderators must of deleted due to them being apple fanboy
Sign In or Register to comment.