Apple's 12.9" iPad will feature Bluetooth stylus, Force Touch, NFC & more, source says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Suspect that USB-C and Lightning combined in one.
    Btw, for those who want Flash for camera, inputs for mouse and keyboard, stop it. It's stupid for a tablet.
    Stylus as an accessory not a part of iPad, Apple didn't changed anything SJ said.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Ah, another "let's take things out of context" type. Welcome to the block list.

I'm thinking that was sarcasm, by the "eight years in tech" thing.
  • Reply 23 of 129
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple should make a real tablet computer (Mac tablet). iOS is a toy not fully compatible with Mac.
  • Reply 24 of 129
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

Yeah we all know that Apple would never in a million years abruptly change ports in all their devices ditching customers to purchase new cables, expensive adapters, and breaking compatability with a ton of accessories... That's why they stayed with the 30 pin connector till this day ; OH WAIT....?

You mean the abrupt change to Lightning after 10 years of 30 pin?

You need to look at how many incompatible variations of USB connectors there are in use.

• Reply 25 of 129
    I wouldn't buy the iPad pro the reason is that apple will probably aim this at businesses and charge a ridiculous amount of money for it well above €1000 so that only businesses could afford it the price of the surface pro 3 just gives apple another excuse to make theirs just as expensive in Ireland the surface pro 3 goes up to €1500-€1700 somewhere in between there, the base model is under €949
  • Reply 26 of 129
    ronstarkronstark Posts: 81member
    This will be a great boon to artists and animators. Disney wants this tech for sure. The pressure sensitive stylus is a huge attraction to artists of all kinds. The biggest issues will be connectivity and memory. If it has limited access and non-expandable memory it mightn't get placement as it would with great native software, ability to connect several working together in a creative ring and store large files.
  • Reply 27 of 129
    usb-usb- Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Wait, but Jobs, in 2007, said the finger was the best stylus in the world. They can't possibly renege on what was said eight years in the tech industry.

It is very clear and obvious that Jobs was referring to normal interaction with a device. It's far easier to use your finger than a stylus. But I'm sure that Jobs would agree that drawing with a stylus/pen as a secondary function is far easier, more natural and more accurate than drawing with your finger

• Reply 28 of 129
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

So they trying to make a surface pro now. Nobody wanted a stylus, NFC was not needed, nobody wanted a 5inch screen phone... Oh wait!

• Reply 29 of 129
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    itpromike wrote: »

Yeah we all know that Apple would never in a million years abruptly change ports in all their devices ditching customers to purchase new cables, expensive adapters, and breaking compatability with a ton of accessories... That's why they stayed with the 30 pin connector till this day ; OH WAIT....?

Don't be a troll. Note Sammy had a billion different phone connectivity ports in the last 10 years.

Apple isn't replacing lightning anytime soon.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by idrey View Post

? should do the two windows in the screen too

I hope not.

It is proven that multitasking has a detrimental effect on productivity.

• Reply 31 of 129
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Wait, but Jobs, in 2007, said the finger was the best stylus in the world. They can't possibly renege on what was said eight years in the tech industry.

Comments like this are just dumb. 2007 is not 2015.

Things do change you know. Technology advances. Different product categories get introduced and developed. There was nothing wrong about what Steve Jobs said in 2007. As a matter of fact, every touch screen phone made since then is based on what he said.

A stylus back then was a piece of crap thing that people used on their piece of crap palm pilots. Get real. The iPhone with finger multi touch gestures changed everything, and you know it too.

If Apple were ever to introduce a stylus in any of their future products as a feature, then that doesn't make what Steve Jobs said wrong at all.

• Reply 32 of 129
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheItalianDude View Post

I wouldn't buy the iPad pro the reason is that apple will probably aim this at businesses and charge a ridiculous amount of money for it well above €1000 so that only businesses could afford it the price of the surface pro 3 just gives apple another excuse to make theirs just as expensive in Ireland the surface pro 3 goes up to €1500-€1700 somewhere in between there, the base model is under €949

It's called the iPad Pro. If you don't have the money for it, then you're not a Pro.

I am a Pro. I will be buying an iPad Pro on day one. I don't give a crap about how much it costs. There is no Android blood running through my veins.

• Reply 33 of 129
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

A bluetooth stylus is SILLY. Why would Apple want to make things more complicated? You would have to keep the stylus charged also. And USB 3.0 peripherals like hard drives will interfere with the stylus.

With Force Touch, there is ZERO NEED for a bluetooth stylus.

With NFC, there is ZERO NEED for a bluetooth stylus.

Not all artists paint with their fingers ... some of them use brushes.

The stylus will be to the iPad what the mouse was to the computer*.

(*) Sure you could also control your computer by writing out your commands with the keyboard. A mouse however made everything feel more natural. It revolutionised the user experience and made the computer more accessible to the world.

• Reply 34 of 129
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronstark View Post

This will be a great boon to artists and animators. Disney wants this tech for sure. The pressure sensitive stylus is a huge attraction to artists of all kinds. The biggest issues will be connectivity and memory. If it has limited access and non-expandable memory it mightn't get placement as it would with great native software, ability to connect several working together in a creative ring and store large files.

It is called a cintiq

• Reply 35 of 129

Yes and they will probably make it out of solid gold, too.
  • Reply 36 of 129
    ronstark wrote: »
    The biggest issues will be connectivity and memory. If it has limited access and non-expandable memory it mightn't get placement as it would with great native software, ability to connect several working together in a creative ring and store large files.

Are you suggesting there is even the remote possibility that an apple iPad could have used-expandable memory? Did you just wake up from a 5-year nap?
  • Reply 37 of 129
    agramonte wrote: »
    So they trying to make a surface pro now. Nobody wanted a stylus, NFC was not needed, nobody wanted a 5inch screen phone... Oh wait!

Get your history straight. When Jobs said if you see a stylus "they blew it" he was referring to normal UI operation, not drawing.

When did anyone at Apple say NFC was not needed as a technology? They added it to their devices when they felt the time was right, not before.

Nobody said 5" was an unwanted size. To the contrary, Ive said in his interview they'd experimented with large screens back during he iPhone 4, but they were too thick and clunky at that time.

...in short nothing you said was true.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    apple ][ wrote: »

Comments like this are just dumb. 2007 is not 2015.

Things do change you know. Technology advances. Different product categories get introduced and developed. There was nothing wrong about what Steve Jobs said in 2007. As a matter of fact, every touch screen phone made since then is based on what he said.

A stylus back then was a piece of crap thing that people used on their piece of crap palm pilots. Get real. The iPhone with finger multi touch gestures changed everything, and you know it too.

If Apple were ever to introduce a stylus in any of their future products as a feature, then that doesn't make what Steve Jobs said wrong at all.

It's obvious you read my first sentence and never got to the second. My point is that Apple is very well entitled to change their collective minds based on the swift currents of the tech industry.

I totally get Apple potentially releasing a stylus, given Force Touch's release and functionality.

And for the poster who suggested "blocking" me? Really? Don't like a comment, so censor instead of debate? Grow up.
  • Reply 39 of 129
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I hope not.

It is proven that multitasking has a detrimental effect on productivity.

Depends. For my writing workflow I generally keep two Word windows open, one for excised sections, notes, and my outline, and one for the main story. That would be handy to have.

• Reply 40 of 129
    wp7mangowp7mango Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Depends. For my writing workflow I generally keep two Word windows open, one for excised sections, notes, and my outline, and one for the main story. That would be handy to have.

Yup, it most certainly IS handy to have (on my Surface Pro 3) for exactly the reasons you mention. Not just in Word, but many other applications where you are continuously referring to some other content. A common example is having a browser open on one side for reference.