Apple's 12.9" iPad will feature Bluetooth stylus, Force Touch, NFC & more, source says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I've been using an iPad without a stylus for years. Apple designed it to work that way... agree?

Now... if Apple added a stylus for drawing... that would be an extra feature... not an essential method of input.

In contrast... Windows Tablet Edition pretty much required a stylus to do any sort of screen-input. And those were the tablets Steve was referring to.

I personally think that the so called iPad Pro is too much of a niche device, and would not sell enough for Apple to bother developing one. The ROI just isn't there.
  • Reply 62 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Ah, another "let's take things out of context" type. Welcome to the block list.

So where's the context in which SJ says a stylus would be good? Oh wait, it doesn't exist.
  • Reply 63 of 129
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I personally think that the so called iPad Pro is too much of a niche device, and would not sell enough for Apple to bother developing one. The ROI just isn't there.eam. 

We'll see about that. I don't fully agree that it wont sell ok. What's niche? 10 million? 25 million? Apple shouldn't just make stuff for the average mainstream person. If they did, then they might as well start making Android phones, because that market is huge! 

There are plenty of businesses, artists and other types of creative professionals that will be buying iPad Pros when and if it's released. It may even be hard to get when it's first released I bet.

Apple definitely needs to release an iPad Pro, mainly because I want one.:smokey:

• Reply 64 of 129
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    iPad Pro vs new MacBook. Tough choice. I may have to purchase both.
  • Reply 65 of 129
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    USB-C makes a lot of sense on the iPad. It makes the platform more computer like and hopefully open. IPhone can stay with lightening but iPads must move to more standard and open hardware.

No it doesn't. iPads are still leading all tablets is sales, profits. There is no need to go to USB C. If anything, there could be a dongle but I doubt it. All the Macs should get USB c first before even thinking about putting it on an iPad.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member

bluetooth no doubt so we can locate the stylus when it falls in the couch. :)

• Reply 67 of 129
    vrfvrf Posts: 13member
    Quote:

I personally think that the so called iPad Pro is too much of a niche device, and would not sell enough for Apple to bother developing one. The ROI just isn't there.

I disagree. This is the very type of niche device that Apple would pursue. It would return them to their roots as the computer choice for the creative professional.

I've wondered what had been taking them so long, but there is no doubt that this device is coming soon. And every architect, animator, composer, artist and illustrator out there is going to have one in his/her bag.

• Reply 68 of 129
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    I'd appreciate it, and be willing to upgrade, if force touch we're to come to iPad Mini.

Currently using an iPad Mini 2 and don't see the appeal in a model that is just slimmer and Touch ID in the upcoming generations. Throw us a bone!
  • Reply 69 of 129
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's called the iPad Pro. If you don't have the money for it, then you're not a Pro.

I am a Pro. I will be buying an iPad Pro on day one. I don't give a crap about how much it costs. There is no Android blood running through my veins.

Well put.

• Reply 70 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

It cold be nice for artists and people who use the iPad as their primary media streaming device.

The ability to add a keyboard/mouse and ability to process more powerful pro software such as full blown photoshop, illustrator and pro sound and video, then it would become an indispensable artists tool.

Let's see what they deliver.

I would love to see Adobe Illustrator et al with touch functionality running on the iPad Pro.

• Reply 71 of 129
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I think it is highly probably that they will dump Lightening. Lightening is a proprietary port and as such materially impacts the sales potential of the iPad lineup.

If that weren't complete nonsense it would mean the iPhone shouldn't be the single best selling CE product in the history of civilization. But it is. With a proprietary port. Oops.
  • Reply 72 of 129
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vrf View Post

I disagree. This is the very type of niche device that Apple would pursue. It would return them to their roots as the computer choice for the creative professional.

I've wondered what had been taking them so long, but there is no doubt that this device is coming soon. And every architect, animator, composer, artist and illustrator out there is going to have one in his/her bag.

Agreed. Like with so many other devices that others come out with first, Apple takes its time to design it right. What if they make it possible to hook two iPad Pros together give to make dual displays and be able to have both processors handle the computing load?

• Reply 73 of 129
    usb-usb- Posts: 22member

If Apple does make a stylus for the iPad Pro (and I'm betting they will), they will probably take a few leaves from the Surface Pro book

1. Don't call it a stylus: Really. Bad move. It'll probably be called the Apple Pen, or Cylindrical Digital Input and Creative Expression Tool (CDICET?) or something like that

2. Nice build: The Surface Pen is made of aluminium. Apple will no doubt do something similar, maybe some form of aluminium alloy, and ship the Apple Pen in Silver, Gold and Space Grey

3. Cool features: Well the Surface Pen doesn't really clock in too high on this note, but I suspect Microsoft wanted to keep it simple. Obviously the cool thing is the little purple button on the top that when clicked automatically brings up OneNote. This actually seems to me to be an Apple sort of thing, because it's so natural and intuitive. Maybe they'll do something similar

4. Reasonable Pricing: Assuming it'll be sold separately (which again I'm guessing it will), Apple's going to have to come up with a good price for this thing. I mean, they're Apple, so they could probably charge $150 and still sell these things, but I don't think that's likely (the Surface Pen costs $50 in case you were wondering)

• Reply 74 of 129
    MiFi is exactly why they should want to delete Lightening. It limits implementation of iPad to those people willing to screw around with the MiFi program and as such that critically limits who will develop external devices suitable for use with iPad.

Can you explain exactly what on earth you mean? Is there a lack of third party MFI vendors? Because every time I walk into a best buy, target, Or airport I see a billion MFI products for iPhones and iPads.
  • Reply 75 of 129
    alandail wrote: »
    iPad sales have been dropping, Apple needs to find a way to make it more powerful.  By powerful I don't mean faster CPU, I mean the power to do more things that desktop and notebook computers are still used for.  It needs to be more than just a bigger iPhone if they want sales to start growing again.  

This has yet to be seen. It's very possible the churn rate on a high quality tablet like iPad is years longer than the typical two years on carrier subsidized cell phones. Older iPads work fine so there is less incentive to upgrade them. In short it's too soon to tell what is normal.

The other thing to remember is iPad was apples fastest growing product, selling more in a short period of time than the iPhone did during its launch. The iPad did terrific numbers. If that grow can't be sustained oh well, it may be normal.
  • Reply 76 of 129
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Don't flatter yourself thinking you know what Steve Jobs meant. He's not here to clarify it, so they must be taken at face value. Btw pertaining the iPad he said "If you see a stylus they blew it."

It's what he meant. If you see a stylus for normal operation they blew it -- not for drawing-specifIc usages. That's entirely obvious and no other interpretation makes sense. of course an artist doing precise drawings would use a stylus and not his finger.
  • Reply 77 of 129
    I've been using an iPad without a stylus for years. Apple designed it to work that way... agree?

Now... if Apple added a stylus for drawing... that would be an extra feature... not an essential method of input.

In contrast... Windows Tablet Edition pretty much required a stylus to do any sort of screen-input. And those were the tablets Steve was referring to.

400 400400400

Thank you. It's like these guys are trying to be obtuse about this.
  • Reply 78 of 129
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple isn't replacing lightning anytime soon.

I agree. We haven't even seen the Lightning-enabled headphones yet. There may be other future functions of this seemingly versatile interface.

• Reply 79 of 129
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,230member

One's gotta wonder how they will handle the Lightning vs. USB-C situation. With both ports being very, very similar, how will they differentiate them to avoid consumer confusion? Could Lightning be seeing the end of its days already?

• Reply 80 of 129
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,230member
    Quote:

Two words:  Apple+IBM

That's a significant strategy that both companies are investing heavily into. iPad Pro will happen for that reason alone.