Apple Watch workout battery life falling short in some cases, owners complain

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

If you want to spend $300 on a one use device that you would never wear other than when your exercising. then get the forerunner. If you want to do more, then get the apple watch 

I think that's a valid point and the Garmin product is actually $450 but it does what it does REALLY well for someone who is into fitness and generally that consumer isn't trying to buy a catch all device.  It's like your running shorts... you don't where them to the office.

• Reply 42 of 153
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Apple has been marketing the hell out of the heart rate monitor (in particular), sending your heartbeat to loved ones, all manner of fitness tracking, special labs built just for the fitness capabilities of the watch, even featuring Christy Turlington with a fitness oriented blog.

As far as I know, Apple has't put a disclaimer on using any of those much touted features. So I don't know where you get that these features are not meant to be used for workouts so long. Friends of mine were very excited about using the heart rate monitor for constant monitoring throughout the day, only to find it can't really be used that way due to the battery constraints.

So yes, this is a problem. People work out routinely for two hours and longer, especially serious athletes, and Apple marketed this watch and its features to them.

Umm No its not a problem, for most people including countless reviewers (consumer reports, WSJ etc) who actually took the time to really test the device and are not having battery "issues" while working out even for hours.  Love the HealthTrackingBatteryGate crazies

• Reply 43 of 153
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpenzone View Post

I think that's a valid point and the Garmin product is actually $450 but it does what it does REALLY well for someone who is into fitness and generally that consumer isn't trying to buy a catch all device.  It's like your running shorts... you don't where them to the office.

True, but running shorts don't cost 450. also Im waiting for the Garmin watch to bring up a topo map when im in the middle of no where (of course I still need my iPhone in my pack for this to work, so Garmin has that) 

• Reply 44 of 153
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

True, but running shorts don't cost 450

By that notion though, there is no reason to buy the Apple watch at all because it's cheaper to just take your phone out of your pocket.  Neither of these products are for the frugal... these are luxury items.

• Reply 45 of 153
    iobserveiobserve Posts: 96member
    The sky is falling!
  • Reply 46 of 153
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

This might be the buggiest hardware product Apple has ever launched. It should have a beta tag slapped on it. All I hear about this thing are complaints. And every time I run into a person wearing one in the wild, their wrist spin never lights up the screen. The wheels are coming off in Cupertino.

" And every time I run into a person wearing one in the wild, their wrist spin never lights up the screen. "

I have yet to "run into" a single person wearing an Apple Watch "in the wild", as is the case for most people I assume. Yet, it just so happens that you have repeatedly not only ran into many people wearing an Apple Watch, but somehow they've also all demonstrated the wrist spin to you, and - of course- the spin failed? The chances of that horse-shit story being true are pretty much nil. You made it up because it was a complained mentioned in one or two reviews.

• Reply 47 of 153
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member

The Watch probably won't become the product that Apple intended until the 3rd or 4th iteration just like the iPhone and iPads. Give them time.

• Reply 48 of 153
    peejaybeepeejaybee Posts: 54member

To explain, the battery life is great. But the app randomly stops recording the 'workout' - so you can't rely on having a workout logged. With my garmin, once I've pressed 'start', I have no doubts that it will be still logging the event hours later. Hit stop, sync watch, garmin talks to strava, have a look at my rubbish strava efforts.

• Reply 49 of 153
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Maybe a future version will have a kinetic energy recovery system of some sort. May as well harvest some of the energy from the motion involved with working out.
  • Reply 50 of 153
    balsy2001balsy2001 Posts: 48member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

They better fix this fast. I am getting the Sport model specifically for cycling, and using it in conjunction with the Strava app.

Two "killer apps" for me: 1) getting notifications while cycling, such that I don't have to stop the bike and get my phone out; 2) seeing my Strava stats while on the bike, again, without the need to stop and get my phone out.

The Apple Watch will fail (for me) if its power capabilities fall short in this respect.

I suggest you check out Mapmyride.  It tracks your ride (uses GPS to map it and provide distance and elevation change) and gives you split information (you set the frequency) through the headphones.  I never feel the need to take my phone out during a ride.  Although I also have a small speedometer/computer on my handlebars.  If wearing headphones during a ride isn't your thing this might not work for you.

• Reply 51 of 153
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Remember to flag the troublemakers in the forums. You all know whom I am referring to.
  • Reply 52 of 153
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It's called the vocal minority. Complainers want to be heard.

Still I wonder if I can use "trying to save battery on my watch" as an excuse to not work out. I believe the battery life on the watch is fine for most users.
  • Reply 53 of 153
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cpenzone wrote: »
    If you are serious about the fitness side and want ample battery life this is a better product.  If you want to draw emoticons with an over-emotionalized product and track where your dominoes pizza is then maybe the Apple watch.

you are making the common mistake of comparing a generalist product to a specialized product. your garmin is a specialized product that does one thing (and only thing) well. it cannot do any of the other things that the apple watch does. for most people most of the time, the generalist features match the desired use cases.

me, i wanna be able to stream BT music, make AP payments, get basic activity tracking during my day, get reminders to move, and quickly access the notifications i care about. and send dopey drawings to my SO.

get it? let that sink in.
  • Reply 54 of 153
    cpenzone wrote: »
    You're kidding right? 1/2 their presentation was about fitness. The other half was drawing hearts and sushi on a postage size screen which seemed pretty stupid.

...to you. you forgot that part.
  • Reply 55 of 153
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cpenzone View Post

This comes as a complete SHOCK said nobody ever. It was apparent from the get go that the watch couldn't make it more a couple hours.  I was skeptical when Christie Turlington ran a half-marathon with it vs. a marathon. I can guarantee you the watch can't do a marathon... the phone can barely do a marathon just tracking location through Nike app and playing music. Source: Tried it.

Right... Despite every one else saying different here.  ..

It can do a marathon if you do it less than 4h for sure if its charged before hand and its a 42mm (which you would expect) even if it recording heartbeats (maybe it even gets to 5h, if it was 100% when you started).

If you, don't record the heartbeat, you can for sure get to 10h... (not that you'd want to run 10h, unless doing a ultramarathon).

• Reply 56 of 153
    mac_128 wrote: »
    So yes, this is a problem. People work out routinely for two hours and longer, especially serious athletes, and Apple marketed this watch and its features to them.

what on earth? there is no "this".

and no, i dont think it's marketed to serious athletes (pros). i think its marketed to dopes like us who are casual athletes at best.
  • Reply 57 of 153
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    The Watch probably won't become the product that Apple intended until the 3rd or 4th iteration just like the iPhone and iPads. Give them time.

er, no - the iphone and ipad (and ipod) were immediate hits, because they were great at what they did. from day 1. they just got even better over time... im sure this will be no different.
  • Reply 58 of 153
    peejaybee wrote: »
    To explain, the battery life is great. But the app randomly stops recording the 'workout' - so you can't rely on having a workout logged. With my garmin, once I've pressed 'start', I have no doubts that it will be still logging the event hours later. Hit stop, sync watch, garmin talks to strava, have a look at my rubbish strava efforts.

never happened to me. so to state that as fact is bogus.
  • Reply 59 of 153
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I have yet to "run into" a single person wearing an Apple Watch "in the wild", as is the case for most people I assume. Yet, it just so happens that you, a troll, have repeatedly not only ran into many people wearing an Apple Watch, but somehow they've also all demonstrated the wrist spin to you, and - of course- the spin failed? The chances of that horse-shit story being true are pretty much nil. You made it up because it was a complained mentioned in one or two reviews.  Whats up with trolls like you and the incessant need to lie because of your agenda? 

I wonder if there has ever been a study on "the sociopathic nature of internet trolls who constantly post & complain on forums about companies they hate, who make products they hate, lead by people they hate, and used by people they hate".  Seriously, when you think about it, these people must be really messed up.

• Reply 60 of 153
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

They better fix this fast. I am getting the Sport model specifically for cycling, and using it in conjunction with the Strava app.

Two "killer apps" for me: 1) getting notifications while cycling, such that I don't have to stop the bike and get my phone out; 2) seeing my Strava stats while on the bike, again, without the need to stop and get my phone out.

The Apple Watch will fail (for me) if its power capabilities fall short in this respect.

Why not use a handlebar mount to keep your phone at your fingertips? E.g. http://www.rokform.com/v3-bike-mount/