Apple Watch workout battery life falling short in some cases, owners complain

Comments

• Reply 81 of 153
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Thank you! A ray of intelligence on the subject! AI should hire you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

If a user needs to get an exceptionally long amount of workout time (say 6+ hours), then they should use bluetooth audio from their phone, a HR chest strap and perhaps opt for the 42mm model which seems to have a noticeably longer battery life. Along with charging before leaving.

That said, this type of athlete is likely to be using these devices already.

Unfortunately, Apple is advertising the product as bluetooth audio from the watch, heart-rate monitoring from the watch, and everything else from the watch.  Apple doesn't want to advertise using other products because they don't want people to do that.  They expect the watch to do it all, but unfortunately it has a tiny battery.  You made good points, but Apple will never tell anyone to do that.  Apple wants that type of athlete to expect the watch to replace all those other devices.

• Reply 82 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

" And every time I run into a person wearing one in the wild, their wrist spin never lights up the screen. "

I have yet to "run into" a single person wearing an Apple Watch "in the wild", as is the case for most people I assume. Yet, it just so happens that you have repeatedly not only ran into many people wearing an Apple Watch, but somehow they've also all demonstrated the wrist spin to you, and - of course- the spin failed? The chances of that horse-shit story being true are pretty much nil. You made it up because it was a complained mentioned in one or two reviews.

There are valid complaints about the Apple Watch, you just refuse to believe them.  Here is a list of them from a valid, in-depth review from another site. 

• Watch OS is tricky to learn and the Apple Watch app can be flaky.

• Several actions, including pulling up Glances, opening apps, or scrolling through emoji, are consistently slow.

• Drawing, tapping, and heartbeat-sending features are gimmicky.

• Pricing is reasonable by luxury watch standards but high by consumer electronics standards.

• Limited functionality when unpaired from your phone.

• Third-party apps can't do all the things Apple's apps can do.

• Another charger to carry around.

• Screen washes out in direct, bright sunlight

Read some unbiased reviews before you go off on people, especially when you don't own the watch, and admitted to never seeing anyone wear one.  It is a 1.0 product with many weaknesses.  With that in mind, is it worth $350 to $17,000?  Nope.  Is it a needed accessory?  Nope.  One person here admitted to buying two of them, then returning them because the price could not be justified for the use of the product.  

• Reply 83 of 153
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

and no, i dont think it's marketed to serious athletes (pros). 

Maybe you should read this.  Apple is PAYING this serious athlete to market and advertise the watch for them, to claim it is for serious athletes.

http://www.apple.com/watch/christy-turlington-burns/

• Reply 84 of 153
    peejaybeepeejaybee Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

never happened to me. so to state that as fact is bogus.

no need to sound aggressive. It's happened to me, therefore it IS a fact - how is that bogus? muppet

• Reply 85 of 153
    peejaybeepeejaybee Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Never happened to me either.

I'm an early adopter re apple gear - first 5 gig iPod, first iPhone, first iPad and a mac user since MacOS 9 days.

I love the Apple watch. It has a few issues, many of which can be fixed via software update.

This issue is WELL DOCUMENTED by other users. 

• Reply 86 of 153
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member

The Apple Watch is a first generation product which everyone should be aware of. Considering this fact I must say the battery issue is not an important one for me. Why all the concern of battery power of a watch. If people do not want to worry about battery life then do not buy the watch. It is as simple as that. The Apple Watch is not a stand alone device... It needs an iPhone to do a lot of the primary functions, not all but the main ones. It is being marketed for fitness and health as well. Apple is trying to make it a catch all device when it is not... It is a companion piece for the iPhone. Now that I have told you what you should have known before you purchased this device, Let me say this, If you want a watch, just a simple time keeping piece then the Apple Watch is not for you. If you want to carry an iPhone and have a device on your wrist which is an extension of the iPhone, so you do not have to look at your iPhone, then Apple has what you need. If you are not happy with it, return it but quit complaining about battery life and other crap wrong with it. I am sick of this Apple Watch hype. Guys and Gals, it is just a gimmick like other Apple gimmicks. The watch should have been a stand alone product but it is not, so be it. It could have been much simpler than what it is, but it is not. Why must you have an iPhone in order to use this watch... To me this is silly and really induces laziness. That iPhone is so heavy to lift... A simple turn of the wrist will suffice. Great for many. Just stop complaining about it and think about how silly this Apple Watch really is.

• Reply 87 of 153
    macvicta wrote: »
    This might be the buggiest hardware product Apple has ever launched. It should have a beta tag slapped on it. All I hear about this thing are complaints. And every time I run into a person wearing one in the wild, their wrist spin never lights up the screen. The wheels are coming off in Cupertino.

Huh? My wife has one and I've borrowed it for a few days. Other than some 3rd party apps being sluggish (which is well known) it has been a completely bug free experience. Very impressed. She is rapt with the usefulness during a busy work day too, being able to discretely act upon or dismiss communications whilst her phone is in her handbag in another room. (No pockets in her work wear)

The biggest fail? I ordered 1 minute after the store opened and my watch hasn't shipped yet.
  • Reply 88 of 153
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    macvicta wrote: »
    This might be the buggiest hardware product Apple has ever launched. It should have a beta tag slapped on it. All I hear about this thing are complaints. And every time I run into a person wearing one in the wild, their wrist spin never lights up the screen. The wheels are coming off in Cupertino.

Molly Watt, living with Usher Syndrome, actually quite likes it:

Having known about the Apple Watch for some time and knowing lots of my friends were planning to buy one, I was sceptical as my needs are quite different to that of those of the sighted and hearing.
    I have to rely on specific accessible features.
    However, I was curious as Apple products have been more than just up market gadgets to me, they really have been my access to the many things most take for granted but that those of us with deafblindness, particularly struggle with.
    I was born deaf and registered blind when I was 14. The condition I have is Usher Syndrome Type 2a. I am severely deaf and have only a very small tunnel of vision in my right eye now so I was concerned not just about the face size but how busy it would appear to me and also if there would be an uncomfortable glare.
    Curiosity got the better of me so I ordered one but I wasn’t excited, so not disappointed when informed I would not receive mine until mid June!
    I should explain that I wear two digital hearing aids and communicate orally – not everybody with usher syndrome communicates orally and there are not two people with the condition the same, but there are similarities.

I had been wearing a Bradley Timepiece since last summer and love both the retro look and the practicality of a completely tactile watch brilliant and stylish, quite a rarity when it comes to anything designed specifically for people with disabilities.
    I can read the time by touch completely independently with my Bradley and I still love it.
    I decided to order the Apple Watch Sport 42mm (the bigger face size) with white strap so I’d not lose it quite so easily.
    The white strap, silver casing and black face would be a workable contrast for me.
    I was surprised to receive an email the day before launch date to say my Apple Watch had been dispatched and you guessed it “I was excited!”
    I was delighted when the long white box arrived on Friday morning as I was heading into London that afternoon.
    My first impression on opening the box was it was nice to hold, smooth rounded edges and the face size felt right on my wrist.
    The watch strap on the “Sport” felt nice and was easy to fasten by touch alone.
    The Apple Watch App had appeared automatically on the iPhone some time ago and it certainly made the set up “pairing” of the Watch simple, literally took a photo of the Watch face on my iPhone and that was that.

I am already very familiar with the iPhone settings so fiddling around with the Apple Watch App was easy. I was able to adjust, fiddle and play with a few settings.
    It was great the Apple Watch App to exactly what I need “Accessibility Features”
    Black background with white writing, I personally prefer this as white background gives off a glare that is even more blinding to me and actually hurts my eyes.
    Whilst this works for me, I do prefer the colours and contrasts on my own website as they are less harsh on the eye.
    The default settings I have on my iPhone are set to large text and I was pleased to be able to have this on my Apple Watch. I also use Zoom large text set to the largest.
    The new setting “Prominent Haptic” is perhaps my favourite in accessibility.

On putting the Apple Watch on my wrist although on my small wrist it appeared large, it felt light and comfortable.
    After a little playing I discovered by holding down the face of the watch you can vary how the time is displayed, a standard clock face but typically Apple quirky or large numbers and digital.
    For me personally the ‘home screen’, even with the bigger of the two watch face sizes is small to see and sometimes a little tricky to select certain apps. However, through the Apple Watch App on the iPhone most things can be set up.
    It is possible to change your ‘Glances’ (shortcuts) by swiping upwards.
    I chose the weather, my calendar, my activity board, my music and my location.
    I have found this facility very useful and has made accessing the watch very quick and easy.
    On the same day I got my watch Mum received hers too. This benefitted the trial use of communication between us. Just by selecting the button underneath the digital crown, you reach your favourite contacts.
    To contact any of my favourites, which are already selected on my iPhone, is incredibly easy. Either speak into the Apple Watch or just sending an ‘emoji’ is also very easy. The speech to text is very impressive.

I personally would not chose to read long emails or text messages on my watch, so although I want to be alerted via the Prominent Haptic setting I can choose when and how to access them that suits me best.
    Before getting my Apple Watch I would have my phone either in my hand or a pocket nearest to my hand I would rarely feel the vibration from my iPhone and often missed messages. With the Apple Watch on my wrist, I am being notified via Prominent Haptics without issue and I really like that.
    Another important safety point is the Apple Watch is very secure on my wrist so far less likely than an iPhone to be swiped from me.
    I am fortunate to have a few friends who also have the Apple Watch and together have devised ways of communicating in ‘Code’ when out, particularly when out at night and in dark situations when I am completely blind.

Useful codes in the event I need help of any kind, for instance if I am in a badly lit and noisy environment and struggling to be included in something I can get message to friend I’m uncomfortable or I need assistance or help of some kind or “I’m bored” can we do something else!
    For instance I can communicate using my Apple Watch screen using a small sketch, a “tap” or even send my heartbeat, each can be sent to another person with an Apple Watch and appears as a distraction, a vibration on the wrist and immediately I look to the watch.

Mum has certainly found benefit in the ‘tap’ for getting my attention when I am in my bedroom without my hearing aids on, I feel the nudge to get a move on or she wants my attention for something.
    There is a vibration when a text message is received too – Prominent Haptics is definitely awesome for me as a deafblind person.
    So far for me the most useful App on the Apple Watch is Maps – on my iPhone I can plan my journey from one destination to another, for me it will be on foot with Unis my guidedog.
    This is where Haptics really come into its own – I can be directed without hearing or sight, but by a series of taps via the watch onto my wrist – 12 taps means turn right at the junction or 3 pairs of 2 taps means turn left, I’m still experimenting with this but so far very impressed – usher syndrome accessible!

I have not reached the stage yet where I am fully reliant on Voice Over, though I have tried it. It is fairly good for navigating the watch. If at home, the Voice over is great, though if like me you are dual sensory impaired, it would be a real struggle to hear outside or in public. Though I have been told with Bluetooth hearing aids, there could be a solution.
    These are my early findings and I’m now sure there will be much more for those like me who need to rely on technology.
    The positives far outweigh the negatives for me personally. The audio could be louder and the price more accessible for those with sensory impairment and reliant on the sort of accessibility features Apple offer.

I am now very happy to own an Apple Watch and look forward to making it work well for me.
    I will blog again in a few weeks when I’ve had time to use it more but so far very happy with it.

Blog
    I am an advocate for those living with Usher Syndrome and I find sharing experiences a great way of raising awareness and helping others understand the many challenges fellow sufferers live with.
    My blog page will be personal to me so when reading it should be noted everybody with Usher Syndrome is unique, though there are similarities.

http://www.mollywatt.com/blog/entry/my-apple-watch-after-5-days

(Thank you, Ben Lovejoy)
  • Reply 89 of 153
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    hillstones wrote: »
    [*] Watch OS is tricky to learn and the Apple Watch app can be flaky.
    [*] Several actions, including pulling up Glances, opening apps, or scrolling through emoji, are consistently slow.
    [*] Drawing, tapping, and heartbeat-sending features are gimmicky.
    [*] Pricing is reasonable by luxury watch standards but high by consumer electronics standards.
    [*] Limited functionality when unpaired from your phone.
    [*] Third-party apps can't do all the things Apple's apps can do.
    [*] Another charger to carry around.
    [*] Screen washes out in direct, bright sunlight

Some of these complaints can be said about the iPhone. As for carrying a charger, most people don't need to. So far it's on par for a new Apple device.
  • Reply 90 of 153
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member

Then use the power saving mode mentioned in the article.  I do this with Strava and it's fine.

• Reply 91 of 153

3rd party apps are sluggish because they have only had an emulator to develop with.  Once the watch is more widely available and there is an update to the version 1.0 watch OS I'm sure performance will improve.  It's not horrible now.  Yes I have an Apple Watch unlike most of the whiners.  I'm a pretty big Apple fanboy but I'm not overly excited about the watch in general.  I don't like watches and haven't worn one in years but this does some pretty cool things so I'm giving it a try.

• Reply 92 of 153

Christy Turlington is a retired model.  Hardly a "serious athlete".

• Reply 93 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

There are valid complaints about the Apple Watch, you just refuse to believe them.  Here is a list of them from a valid, in-depth review from another site. 

• Watch OS is tricky to learn and the Apple Watch app can be flaky.

• Several actions, including pulling up Glances, opening apps, or scrolling through emoji, are consistently slow.

• Drawing, tapping, and heartbeat-sending features are gimmicky.

• Pricing is reasonable by luxury watch standards but high by consumer electronics standards.

• Limited functionality when unpaired from your phone.

• Third-party apps can't do all the things Apple's apps can do.

• Another charger to carry around.

• Screen washes out in direct, bright sunlight

Read some unbiased reviews before you go off on people, especially when you don't own the watch, and admitted to never seeing anyone wear one.  It is a 1.0 product with many weaknesses.  With that in mind, is it worth $350 to $17,000?  Nope.  Is it a needed accessory?  Nope.  One person here admitted to buying two of them, then returning them because the price could not be justified for the use of the product.  

This list is just silly. 

It took five minutes to learn the entire interface.

What do you mean by the "Apple Watch app"? What is flaky about it?

The actions you refer to are not slow on mine.  Some 3rd party apps are.

Heartbeat is gimmicky?  Oh you mean to YOU it's gimmicky.  Well then.  Don't use it.  But you obviously don't have an Apple Watch anyway.

Luxury watches are a lot more than $350 to $400 which is what most people are spending and is totally in line with other smartwatches most of which don't do nearly as much as Apple Watch.

As far as phone pairing that is the state of the art these days.  Nobody can make a device this small with all of its functionality that doesn't need to connect to a phone.  A phone which is always with you anyway.  But now it's in your pocket.

3rd party apps what?  That entire sentence doesn't even make sense.

Oh my.  Another charger.  For a whole new category and size of device.  Somehow I'll live.

The screen does not wash out in direct sunlight.  That's just wrong.

It's not a needed device to YOU or worth the money to YOU.  It's just immature to assume everyone should want what you want.

Unlike you I actually have an Apple Watch and am not repeating internet gossip.  I'm not overwhelmed by it but I'm getting there.  In the last five minutes I read and replied to text messages and e-mail and answered a phone call using my watch.  So that's pretty cool.  I also use it for Apple Pay and Strava for cycling as well as to control Pandora and other apps.  It's very handy when I'm sitting in meetings in conference rooms which is a big part of my day as well.

• Reply 94 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Apple has been marketing the hell out of the heart rate monitor (in particular), sending your heartbeat to loved ones, all manner of fitness tracking, special labs built just for the fitness capabilities of the watch, even featuring Christy Turlington with a fitness oriented blog.

As far as I know, Apple has't put a disclaimer on using any of those much touted features. So I don't know where you get that these features are not meant to be used for workouts so long. Friends of mine were very excited about using the heart rate monitor for constant monitoring throughout the day, only to find it can't really be used that way due to the battery constraints.

So yes, this is a problem. People work out routinely for two hours and longer, especially serious athletes, and Apple marketed this watch and its features to them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpenzone View Post

I think that's a valid point and the Garmin product is actually $450 but it does what it does REALLY well for someone who is into fitness and generally that consumer isn't trying to buy a catch all device.  It's like your running shorts... you don't where them to the office.

I've had many Garmin devices for cycling and they have all been buggy with terrible software.  Garmin is well known for this.  They range in price from $150 to $699 by the way.

The Forerunners range in price from $139 to $599.

• Reply 95 of 153
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Apple has been marketing the hell out of the heart rate monitor (in particular), sending your heartbeat to loved ones, all manner of fitness tracking, special labs built just for the fitness capabilities of the watch, even featuring Christy Turlington with a fitness oriented blog.

As far as I know, Apple has't put a disclaimer on using any of those much touted features. So I don't know where you get that these features are not meant to be used for workouts so long. Friends of mine were very excited about using the heart rate monitor for constant monitoring throughout the day, only to find it can't really be used that way due to the battery constraints.

So yes, this is a problem. People work out routinely for two hours and longer, especially serious athletes, and Apple marketed this watch and its features to them.

You are assuming these complaints are valid with owning an Apple Watch yourself or even reading the post of the guy before you saying it's been fine for him.  Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

• Reply 96 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Because it is constantly sending data to the watch during activity, draining the watch battery, and the iPhone's battery.

Try again.  It's bluetooth LE which uses very little battery.  For someone who has zero first hand experience with the watch especially while exercising you sure are on a mission to slam it.  Why is that?

• Reply 97 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpenzone View Post

By that notion though, there is no reason to buy the Apple watch at all because it's cheaper to just take your phone out of your pocket.  Neither of these products are for the frugal... these are luxury items.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

The Watch probably won't become the product that Apple intended until the 3rd or 4th iteration just like the iPhone and iPads. Give them time.

The iPad and iPhone took 3 or 4 iterations?  Ridiculous.  the 1st iPhone alone changed the entire smartphone industry.

• Reply 98 of 153
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

" And every time I run into a person wearing one in the wild, their wrist spin never lights up the screen. "

I have yet to "run into" a single person wearing an Apple Watch "in the wild", as is the case for most people I assume. Yet, it just so happens that you have repeatedly not only ran into many people wearing an Apple Watch, but somehow they've also all demonstrated the wrist spin to you, and - of course- the spin failed? The chances of that horse-shit story being true are pretty much nil. You made it up because it was a complained mentioned in one or two reviews.

I've never had an issue with the "wrist spin" working.

• Reply 99 of 153
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member

Maybe a valid argument but pretty standard for devices/software these days... even Apple's products. They're still benefiting off the halo of their products from 4 or 5 years ago that were much more solid.  I'm not Apple basher either, I run a graphic design agency so we are all mac based: desktops, laptops, phones, etc.

• Reply 100 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Why not use a handlebar mount to keep your phone at your fingertips? E.g. http://www.rokform.com/v3-bike-mount/

Because I don't want a phone on my handlebars.