Apple's next-gen 'iPhone 6s' to come in rose gold model, feature 2GB RAM, 12MP camera

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I agree...

...but a valid point (though off topic) is that I have a horrid time using OS X mail application using Gmail accounts. What's up with that? We shouldn't invalidate the desire for many to want to integrate gmail (& assoc. features) into our Apple devices.

What sort of issues? I haven't had any problems with Gmail in Apple Mail on OS X since Mavericks 10.9.5, and Yosemite has been flawless thus far on three Yosemite 10.10.3 machines...

• Reply 42 of 107
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    drewys808 wrote: »

I agree...
    ...but a valid point (though off topic) is that I have a horrid time using OS X mail application using Gmail accounts. What's up with that? We shouldn't invalidate the desire for many to want to integrate gmail (& assoc. features) into our Apple devices.

it doesnt invalidate that desire. its a valid desire and one that has been met -- i run three different gmail systems (Google For Business, Google For Non-Profits, and a vanilla Google Apps domain) on all my apple devices, from iMac, to MacbookPro, to various iPads and iPhones -- all seem to be working normally.
  • Reply 43 of 107
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

OK, enough. I am sorry but this is starting to sound like one of those fake commercials. We added a gold color and a slightly better camera. It's getting boring.

Not as boring as 2GB of RAM.

Only spec-monkeys give a poop about that.

• Reply 44 of 107
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, Kuo also restated his earlier claims that there will be no new 4-inch iPhone model this year, leaving screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches. 

Depends...I can see offering a 5S (which is a 4" phone) with A8 chip maybe? I guess that would be considered "new" or at least upgraded.

I don't think that BOTH a plastic model (like the 5C or 6C) and the 5S would be available...maybe only one of those?...and the 5S is just a much better/nicer phone.

With Apple Watch, I have to think that many might just want a smaller/cheaper phone along with an Apple Watch. Am I right? Yes, I'm right. :-)

• Reply 45 of 107
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

What sort of issues? I haven't had any problems with Gmail in Apple Mail on OS X since Mavericks 10.9.5, and Yosemite has been flawless thus far on three Yosemite 10.10.3 machines...

Yes, and they also added support for Google's code-based 2-step verification recently, so it's all good.

• Reply 46 of 107
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    How about improving the RF performance in the phone, reducing SAR, unlocking Bluetooth USB and allowing the phone to be USB-tethered, maybe even Micro-SD for photo backup when your data limit or coverage prevent cloud access? You know, functionality.

I'm an Apple user of everything in computing except their phones and monitors. My laptops, WiFi router, keyboard and mouse, trackpad, and tablet are all Apple. But I'm Samsung for the phone because of these reasons above, even with the slightly awkward integration between Google and iCloud.

Good luck with the micro USB. Even Samsung is moving away from that on the flagship phones.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

- Mail doesn't send, connection fails (about 1x/2 weeks).

- saves email in "Drafts" folder quite randomly.

- search (using "Sort by") is very clumsy. Should be able to conveniently go to top or bottom and also type characters to go to specific emails in that sorted list (e.g. typing a "c" should jump the highlighted email to the first email in the names starting with the letter c).

- message threads are not just clumsy but they are improperly consolidated.

...weird things like that.

If you read my previous posts, you'll see I'm not a complainer. I'm just bringing up what I think are valid issues that many are experiencing.

Obviously, much of the mis-integration is g00ggles' fault as well.

I'm on 10.10 but has similar problems with 10.9. Had similar issues with 3 different Macs. But glad yours is working great.

• Reply 48 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

it doesnt invalidate that desire. its a valid desire and one that has been met -- i run three different gmail systems (Google For Business, Google For Non-Profits, and a vanilla Google Apps domain) on all my apple devices, from iMac, to MacbookPro, to various iPads and iPhones -- all seem to be working normally.

....and it's getting better...to which many are thankful for.

I still think that the integration between g00gle and Apple has been compromised because of the business relationship between the two...and the consumer has suffered (in our 1st world sort of ways).

• Reply 49 of 107
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Do most people prefer a white face for their iPhones? It seems odd that the only model with a black face is the space gray option. If Apple adds a fourth color option, it'll mean 3 out of 4 will have a white front.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

^ Black and gold would look like Apple were sponsoring the New Orleans Saints.

• Reply 51 of 107
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    I am a big fan of the force touch. I have it on my watch and MacBook. There is a lot of potential for this. I always welcome the spec bumps but they are not a huge selling point for me.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Since I just got the iPhone 5S 32GB NeXT Color I can wait a few years before upgrading.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    drewys808 wrote: »
    - Mail doesn't send, connection fails (about 1x/2 weeks).
    - saves email in "Drafts" folder quite randomly.
    - search (using "Sort by") is very clumsy. Should be able to conveniently go to top or bottom and also type characters to go to specific emails in that sorted list (e.g. typing a "c" should jump the highlighted email to the first email in the names starting with the letter c).
    - message threads are not just clumsy but they are improperly consolidated.

...weird things like that.

If you read my previous posts, you'll see I'm not a complainer. I'm just bringing up what I think are valid issues that many are experiencing.

Obviously, much of the mis-integration is g00ggles' fault as well.

I'm on 10.10 but has similar problems with 10.9. Had similar issues with 3 different Macs. But glad yours is working great.

Have you any scripts tied with Mail that you run?
  • Reply 54 of 107
    neilmneilm Posts: 995member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

I am a big fan of the force touch. I have it on my watch and MacBook. There is a lot of potential for this. I always welcome the spec bumps but they are not a huge selling point for me.

Yeah, I have to imagine that's coming to the phone.

• Reply 55 of 107
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,834member
    joninsd wrote: »
    I've heard a few of these rumors over the last few years, we'll see how they actually play out.

12mp? Would this be because of the dual camera that they're rumored to put in this time and overlap the pics?

Only briefly used the forced touch on a display Macbook, looking forward to see how it can enhance iOS.

I'm still using an iPhone 5, which seems slower and slower every update, would more RAM keep it fast over the years with new functionality added? How much would this affect battery life on an iPhone 6 ?

No new 4" iPhone . . . anyone wanna buy my 4" iPhone 5 when this sucker comes out?
    Considering the 1gb ram it's not slowing you down but starting to.
  • Reply 56 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    joninsd wrote: »
    I've heard a few of these rumors over the last few years, we'll see how they actually play out.

12mp? Would this be because of the dual camera that they're rumored to put in this time and overlap the pics?
    Who knows honestly! With Touch ID they implemented quickly after buying the company. We could see Apple target only the 7?+ with such technology. The reality is that the dual lens camera might save space thickness wise but it does spread the camera hardware out. In the end this might pull too much area out of the smaller phone.
    Only briefly used the forced touch on a display Macbook, looking forward to see how it can enhance iOS.
    I really like the track pad on my new MBP but I honestly seldom use the force touch to get an alternative Touch input. For normal clicking though it works great.
    I'm still using an iPhone 5, which seems slower and slower every update, would more RAM keep it fast over the years with new functionality added? How much would this affect battery life on an iPhone 6 ?
    First we have to consider that RAM is very important and they have to increase the allotment of RAM to keep the platform moving forward. Moving to 2GB is a massive increase as currently you have a good portion of the 1GB going to things other than the user app. That is you app currently shares the 2GB of RAM with the operating system, video RAM, always resident Apple apps and any apps multitasking. So 2GB of RAM offers apps a rather massive increase in available RAM. Some apps need this RAM, even Apples Safari needs more RAM.

As far as helping with speed or performance that is much harder to say. Right now it looks like the majority of the performance problems are due to poor programming (bugs and the like). Just the behavior of 8.x over the various dot releases should highlight this point as a problem with iOS.

In a nut shell the performance of iOS is not directly related to the available RAM though more RAM might allow Apple to enhance iOS's performance. This is commonly known as speed and area trade off. I don't see Apple blowing out iOS, that is having the system use far more RAM anytime soon as there is also a power penalty.

As for battery life new technologies are being introduced this year on of which is LPDDR4 RAM. If this new RAM architecture lives up to billing 2GB will come without a power penalty.
    No new 4" iPhone . . . anyone wanna buy my 4" iPhone 5 when this sucker comes out?

Actually in this area I hope the analyst is wrong. I'm not a big fan of the brick sized iPhones.
  • Reply 57 of 107
    It IS getting boring. Not just for Apple.  I think the majority of the smartphone market is suffering from this boring incremental change syndrome. 

Change is needed. 

The products feature wise are rather mature at this point. The big sticking points are all performance related. Here we are talking several areas. The processor for one needs a significant performance boost, the camera could use more pixels if they can maintain quality as do other subsystems.

In any event instead of whining, speak up and tell us what you would like to see in the next iPhone. I keep seeing this BS about change being needed but nothing offered up as a direction for that change. As it is just two of these improvements rumored would be major for me, give us all of them and I'd be happy with such an iPhone for another 3-5 years.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    anomeanome Posts: 1,542member
    Since I just got the iPhone 5S 32GB NeXT Color I can wait a few years before upgrading.
    Don't you find carrying a cube shaped phone in your pocket a massive inconvenience, though?
  • Reply 59 of 107
    pmz wrote: »

The A9 is more exciting than any of it. Every year Apple manages earth shattering performance leaps over the previous generation processor. Each new proc is faster and more energy efficient.
    You are sounding a bit like a cheer leader here but I do expect another leap in performance. Part of that leap will likely be due to LPDDR4 RAM. With APU type processors performance has always been tied to how fast RAM is. RAM simply stated is a bottleneck and is why the "x" processors have had a different interface.
    The A8 was one of the biggest leaps yet...
    It was more of a modest incremental increase.
    not only did it maintain Apple's YOY performance increase precedent, but it did so while powering higher resolution 4.7" and 5.5" displays. Apple has now had another entire year to engineer a whole new class of proc designed to power the same 4.7 and 5.5 devices...I'm expecting really great performance from the new iPhones.

The only possible wrench in the works here is that Apple uses some of the area afforded to them by 14nm to integrate the cell processor part of the cellular radio. That wil take up a bit of space that might otherwise be used to enhance the performance of the rest of the chip. Otherwise 14 nm offers Apple a lot of space for more cores, caches or whatever.

Depending upon how aggressive Apple gets with integration onto the SoC we might see the PCB in the iPhone shrink to half its current size. It will do that while increasing performance. Any size advantage they get from the PCB can be leveraged to increase the battery size. In other words yes we should get a very nice update.
  • Reply 60 of 107
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    you seem to be misunderstanding the role of tools -- they are not to give purpose to a boring life. they are to offer value for their various jobs-to-be-done.
    Best response I've seen in years!
    does your cordless drill "bore" you? why or why not?

Do you really think some of these posters could do anything constructive with a cordless drill? For that matter do they know what a cordless drill is!