Apple's next-gen 'iPhone 6s' to come in rose gold model, feature 2GB RAM, 12MP camera

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Not as boring as 2GB of RAM.
    Only spec-monkeys give a poop about that.

That is nonsense!! 2GB of RAM will directly improve the user experience. Anybody with a modest understanding of iOS would realize just how important RAM is on this platform. To suggest it is a concern only for spec monkeys is total ignorance.
  • Reply 62 of 107
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is nonsense!! 2GB of RAM will directly improve the user experience. Anybody with a modest understanding of iOS would realize just how important RAM is on this platform. To suggest it is a concern only for spec monkeys is total ignorance.

Really? Important, compared to what exactly? Considering 3GB on the S6 supercomputers (sic) means constant reload and slugishness, I'm guessing RAM is not the only consideration to reloads and slowness on any OS and that there are other factors involved. BTW, people get reloads on the Ipad Air 2; what reason does it happen? Are they running something else than IOS on these devices

• Reply 63 of 107
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Really? Important, compared to what exactly? Considering 3GB on the S6 supercomputers (sic) means constant reload and slugishness, I'm guessing RAM is not the only consideration to reloads and slowness on any OS and that there are other factors involved. BTW, people get reloads on the Ipad Air 2; what reason does it happen? Are they running something else than IOS on these devices

Really?  Important if you are attempting to do anything remotely like good engineering.  I'm telling you that RAM is a vital, precious resource on any mobile device for apps and for the OS and that there are many factors involved in designing the OS and apps to best use that RAM.  BTW, people have no clue about the lengths that good developers go to in order to provide world-class experiences.  Are those world-class experiences running on something else than iOS?

Nope.

• Reply 64 of 107

Everyone with a modest-to-deep understanding of iOS already realizes just how important it is to optimize the use of RAM on this platform.  To do anything other than good engineering, on any platform mobile or otherwise, is lazy and smacks of total ignorance.

But yeah, thank you for your carefully considered insight, oh Grand Defender of Spec Monkeydom.

• Reply 65 of 107
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    anome wrote: »
    Don't you find carrying a cube shaped phone in your pocket a massive inconvenience, though?

I prefer the slab.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Have you any scripts tied with Mail that you run?

No. Not anything I know of.

• Reply 67 of 107
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

- saves email in "Drafts" folder quite randomly.

Turn off "Store drafts on the server" in Preferences.

• Reply 68 of 107
    sentosasentosa Posts: 8member
    I would hope that with 2GB there is no impact to battery life. All we need is a thinner phone (sarcasm intended!) that is more battery hungry.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

I hope they make the Apple Sim Card Standard; their should be only 1 phone for all the carriers. A9 with 2GB Ram and a 12 MP camera would be great. Even better would be no Home Button, Charging similar to the Watch. 1 GB Ram is too little. The number of pixels needs to be increased so the large phone will be as sharp as the small phone (if possible).

The iPhone 6 plus already has a higher screen resolution (and ppi) than the iPhone 6 and earlier iPhones. It's one of the primary reasons why I purchased the plus-sized model.

• Reply 70 of 107
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Everyone with a modest-to-deep understanding of iOS already realizes just how important it is to optimize the use of RAM on this platform.  To do anything other than good engineering, on any platform mobile or otherwise, is lazy and smacks of total ignorance.

But yeah, thank you for your carefully considered insight, oh Grand Defender of Spec Monkeydom.

And if developers suddenly came into more ram when making their apps, do you not think they could create something even better?

• Reply 71 of 107
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

How about improving the RF performance in the phone, reducing SAR, unlocking Bluetooth USB and allowing the phone to be USB-tethered, maybe even Micro-SD for photo backup when your data limit or coverage prevent cloud access? You know, functionality.

I'm an Apple user of everything in computing except their phones and monitors. My laptops, WiFi router, keyboard and mouse, trackpad, and tablet are all Apple. But I'm Samsung for the phone because of these reasons above, even with the slightly awkward integration between Google and iCloud.

If you already wish, go all the way..like iPhone allows to dual boot with Android L, removable battery and edge screen..yeah..shut up.

• Reply 72 of 107
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

Turn off "Store drafts on the server" in Preferences.

Appreciate the tips.

But isn't it strange that the messages remain in the Drafts folder even after I send the message?

I mean, in some instances, it only took 5 minutes between the time I composed it and sent it, yet the message is still in the Drafts folder.

• Reply 73 of 107
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I agree...

...but a valid point (though off topic) is that I have a horrid time using OS X mail application using Gmail accounts. What's up with that? We shouldn't invalidate the desire for many to want to integrate gmail (& assoc. features) into our Apple devices.

Gmail is just IMAP, no? Apple Mail is an IMAP client, no? What is the problem?

• Reply 74 of 107
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Actually, anybody with a modest understanding of iOS would know how to program for its limitations. They wouldn't write code that requires more RAM than is available on the hardware. That would be nonsense. So, yeah, as you pointed out, only spec monkeys who clumsily think an iPhone is like a RAM-starved Windows Vista PC would make that conclusion.

• Reply 75 of 107

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

And if developers suddenly came into more ram when making their apps, do you not think they could create something even better?

Lazy programming is lazy programming no matter how much RAM is available.

Sure, ARC (Automatic Reference Counting) makes memory management far easier post-iOS 4.x.

But efficient coding is always better.  Resource pigs run slow.  Resource hogs get slaughtered.

• Reply 76 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

Oh, right, like the "better" apps I have now on my 16Gb desktop... Hmmm. No. They're not significantly better, they seems to be coded by the most lazy, incompetent coders/hipsters in the world (90% of them). You can fit 95% of the same functions in 1/10 the ram in 2000, it just went slower because of the slower CPU and disk. Maybe its time to go back to a time when self described "coders" and software developpers weren't cool and actually knew how to code. How do I know? I'm an hardware/systems/software  engineer/manager since the 1980s; I've seen it all.

• Reply 77 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Really?  Important if you are attempting to do anything remotely like good engineering.  I'm telling you that RAM is a vital, precious resource on any mobile device for apps and for the OS and that there are many factors involved in designing the OS and apps to best use that RAM.  BTW, people have no clue about the lengths that good developers go to in order to provide world-class experiences.  Are those world-class experiences running on something else than iOS?

Nope.

An engineer adjusts to the myriad of requirements of the project,  such performance, financials, resources, timing, logistics, integration with past, present and future products, etc... That must off course fit the environment the product(s) or service(s) must operate in (In the case of the Apple coders, the Apple Iphone WITH 1G of Ram!); in the case of Apple for example, they got to make sure that most current apps will continue fitting on old phones, at least until they can't get new IOS upgrades (this ensures that IOS dev' won't have to code to hardware and not just IOS version and get their market cut off).

I'll run the scenario for the bizarro world Apple you think should exist :

"Yeah, it's all cool, lets just throw some ram at the problem and lose 1h run time, use up 90% of world's supply of this kind chip (we may run out but, who cares, the first guys will be happy) and make sure no older phone will be able to run the apps made for the new phone...  Ram fixes everything so says that guy I met in a bar" (sic)

I've been a senior engineer/manager for 25 years so you can spare me the violin speech about RAM.

Over designing for kicks is the opposite of engineering. Apple doesn't do that.

If those "poor" coders can't figure out that an app designed to sold and function on a system with 1GB of memory, needs to be designed and coded specifically for that. Then, maybe it is time they switch job.

Coding to fit memory has been an issue every since there has been computer memory; it is well known that memory doesn't as rule fix performance issues caused by incompetence...

• Reply 78 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

An engineer adjusts to the myriad of requirements of the project,  such performance, financials, resources, timing, logistics, integration with past, present and future products, etc... That must off course fit the environment the product(s) or service(s) must operate in (In the case of the Apple coders, the Apple Iphone WITH 1G of Ram!); in the case of Apple for example, they got to make sure that most current apps will continue fitting on old phones, at least until they can't get new IOS upgrades (this ensures that IOS dev' won't have to code to hardware and not just IOS version and get their market cut off).

I'll run the scenario for the bizarro world Apple you think should exist :

"Yeah, it's all cool, lets just throw some ram at the problem and lose 1h run time, use up 90% of world's supply of this kind chip (we may run out but, who cares, the first guys will be happy) and make sure no older phone will be able to run the apps made for the new phone...  Ram fixes everything so says that guy I met in a bar" (sic)

I've been a senior engineer/manager for 25 years so you can spare me the violin speech about RAM.

Over designing for kicks is the opposite of engineering. Apple doesn't do that.

If those "poor" coders can't figure out that an app designed to sold and function on a system with 1GB of memory, needs to be designed and coded specifically for that. Then, maybe it is time they switch job.

Coding to fit memory has been an issue every since there has been computer memory; it is well known that memory doesn't as rule fix performance issues caused by incompetence...

Exactly.

Thanks for restating my point.  In too many words.

• Reply 79 of 107
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member

As an iPhone 6 Plus, owner, I'm not sure if I'll upgrade. However, if 3D came into the mix, then it's a no brainer. If Nintendo can do it, so can Apple.

Maybe on the iPhone 7 or 8.

• Reply 80 of 107

If the rumor about iPhone 6s proved to be true, I believe more and more people switch to iPhone 6s.