Rumor: Apple to update 15" MacBook Pro, 27" iMac on Wednesday

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2015
Rather than waiting for WWDC, Apple may update its 15-inch MacBook Pro and 27-inch iMac with Intel's latest Broadwell processors this week on Wednesday, according to a new rumor.




Citing unnamed sources who have provided accurate information in the past, MacGeneration reported on monday that both a new 15-inch MacBook Pro and a new 27-inch iMac will be available on Wednesday. Additional details, including what changes might take place, and whether the refresh will apply to the 5K iMac or just the non-Retina legacy model, were not provided.

Shipping times for the 15-inch MacBook Pro recently began slipping at Apple's online store. In addition, AppleInsider revealed last week that custom built-to-order models of the big-screen MacBook have been discontinued.

In addition to Intel's Broadwell processors, it's expected that the 15-inch MacBook Pro will also gain Apple's new Force Touch trackpad, currently available on the 13-inch MacBook Pro and 12-inch MacBook.

As for the iMac, Apple's 27-inch model with 5K Retina display is still advertised to ship immediately. The entry-level non-Retina model with a 3.2-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i5 is also in stock.




The only sign of constraint is with the high-end non-Retina model with 2 gigabytes of video memory. It is currently advertised as available to ship within one to two weeks.

With supply of some Macs drying up, and Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference set to kick off on June 8, many observers assumed that the company would wait until the start of the conference to unveil new hardware. WWDC will kick off with a keynote presentation to unveil new products, but the show is typically software-centric, and this year it is expected to focus on iOS 9, OS X 10.11, and what's next for the Apple Watch.

Still, the WWDC stage has frequently been used to unveil new hardware, such as in 2012 and 2013, when the MacBook Air lineups were given refreshes. Apple also gave a sneak preview at its all-new cylindrical Mac Pro at WWDC 2013.

But last year at WWDC 2014, Apple left out any hardware announcements, choosing only to focus on iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Monday's rumor suggests the company may take a similar approach this year, getting new hardware out of the way before WWDC begins.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 50
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,788member
    I guess we will know Wednesday if this rumor is true or not. Short wait, at least!
  • Reply 2 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I guess we will know Wednesday if this rumor is true or not. Short wait, at least!

    I thought Skylake was coming this fall. Does this mean the processors Apple would need for the rMBP won't be available until next year or are they going to be late in releasing a Skylake machine? Perhaps a laptop redesign that won't be ready until next year? I can't see Apple releasing a new 15" in May and then again in the fall.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    quambquamb Posts: 143member

    Well, it looks like Apple are now falling behind on their MBP releases. They used to be first out the gate with the latest processors. Oh well. Expect Skylake updates to come out next year at some point...

  • Reply 4 of 50
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Would be great to see these updates. Always a good thing to get new processors and technology.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    appexappex Posts: 687member

    Intel SkyLake?

  • Reply 6 of 50
    Where is DDR4? Dell and HP have had it for months!
  • Reply 7 of 50
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    I thought Skylake was coming this fall. Does this mean the processors Apple would need for the rMBP won't be available until next year or are they going to be late in releasing a Skylake machine? Perhaps a laptop redesign that won't be ready until next year? I can't see Apple releasing a new 15" in May and then again in the fall.



    It doesn't need a re-design.  Just updating the processor is going to involve almost no effort whatsoever so they might as well.

  • Reply 8 of 50
    rob53rob53 Posts: 2,638member

    Broadwell took longer to release than expected so why does anyone actually think Skylake will be on time and actually run properly when first released? I think it's better for Apple if they release updates with a (more) proven CPU instead of being on the bleeding edge and release updates that could effectively kill an entire product line. Intel is pushing to stay competitive and hasn't always released properly working devices. Apple doesn't need a Skygate issue.

  • Reply 9 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cnocbui wrote: »

    It doesn't need a re-design.  Just updating the processor is going to involve almost no effort whatsoever so they might as well.

    Well I though Skylake would allow for a slimmer/lighter laptop redesign. I'm assuming the MBA didn't get retina for a reason and that reason was redesigned rMBPs.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    quamb wrote: »
    Well, it looks like Apple are now falling behind on their MBP releases. They used to be first out the gate with the latest processors. Oh well. Expect Skylake updates to come out next year at some point...

    Really? How so? The Broadwell processors for the 15" haven't been available yet. Skylake is scheduled for the fall. I don't see where Apple is behind.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    Well I though Skylake would allow for a slimmer/lighter laptop redesign. I'm assuming the MBA didn't get retina for a reason and that reason was redesigned rMBPs.



    Oh no!  Please not slimmer. That would mean The cost escalating, the battery capacity declining and most of the ports being shed for that stupid USB-C only crap.  If you keep the current battery capacity and just reduce the electrical load, you would get considerably improved battery life, which would be of more interest and benefit to 15" users I think than chasing that minimalist nonsense.

  • Reply 12 of 50
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    rob53 wrote: »
    Broadwell took longer to release than expected so why does anyone actually think Skylake will be on time and actually run properly when first released? I think it's better for Apple if they release updates with a (more) proven CPU instead of being on the bleeding edge and release updates that could effectively kill an entire product line. Intel is pushing to stay competitive and hasn't always released properly working devices. Apple doesn't need a Skygate issue.

    Intel runs different processor design teams. The issue with Broadwell was getting the 14nm process online. Skylake hasn't had that issue, so Intel expects it to release on time.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Thanks. Shopping iMacs currently; btw there are or where a lot of iMac's in the refurb section of the apple store, I noted several where from custom builds. Maybe they are cancellations because the refresh is here?

    But what I really hope for is a Force Touch Magic Trackpad - stand alone. I'd also LOVE to see a wireless keyboard refresh using the new keyboard design from the Macbook but maybe with a little more travel as there is lots more room??

    my two cents...
  • Reply 14 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cnocbui wrote: »

    Oh no!  Please not slimmer. That would mean The cost escalating, the battery capacity declining and most of the ports being shed for that stupid USB-C only crap.  If you keep the current battery capacity and just reduce the electrical load, you would get considerably improved battery life, which would be of more interest and benefit to 15" users I think than chasing that minimalist nonsense.

    Well I think there's a lot of people that want retina but want something lighter than the current rMBP. Hence why some were upset that Apple gave us the rMB instead of new Airs with retina displays. If Skylake allows Apple to to take the Pros in the direction of the Airs they will do it.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    photodenkphotodenk Posts: 37member
    What is the likelihood that they release basic component updates this week and then still announce some sort of redesign in a couple weeks (i.e since the Unibody has phased out, the current design takes over as the base model)?
  • Reply 16 of 50
    sandorsandor Posts: 589member
    My question is when will we gain (at least) 2 TB of internal storage on the MacBook Pro?

    I have purchased 4 13" (old model) MacBook Pros in the past 3 months for this very reason - not enough internal storage in the new ones.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I guess we will know Wednesday if this rumor is true or not. Short wait, at least!

    Yes waiting and seeing is in order. However if this hardware is announced Wednesday we then have to wonder what is planned for WWDC. Maybe a major Mac Pro upgrade or something to replace the Mini. WWDC isn't far away and frankly it is fairly common for Apple to debut updated hardware just before WWDC
  • Reply 18 of 50
    rob53rob53 Posts: 2,638member

    Apple Store showing 2-3 week delivery on non-Retina iMacs when choosing the 3.5GHz Core i7 putting it right in line with WWDC. Actually any BTO option for the top of the line non-Retina 27" iMac shows a 2-3 week delivery while the other 27" iMac only changes by a few days when selecting options so it looks to me like Apple is getting ready to make major changes to the better non-Retina 27" iMac. I've been waiting for an upgrade to these to figure out whether I really need to spend the money on the Retina iMac or can be satisfied with a more current non-Retina iMac. 

     

    As for an iMac only coming with a USB-C port, I don't see that happening. Even at its fastest speed it isn't as fast as Thunderbolt 2, which iMacs can came use of a lot more than laptops. 

  • Reply 19 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    photodenk wrote: »
    What is the likelihood that they release basic component updates this week and then still announce some sort of redesign in a couple weeks (i.e the since the Unibody has phased out, the current design takes over as the base model)?

    Zero! If a Broadwell based MBP comes this week we won't see another revision until late fall at best. If this is in fact an upgrade to SkyLake we won't see another release at all this year.

    Beyond that why do you say Unibody is phased out?
  • Reply 20 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Yes waiting and seeing is in order. However if this hardware is announced Wednesday we then have to wonder what is planned for WWDC. Maybe a major Mac Pro upgrade or something to replace the Mini. WWDC isn't far away and frankly it is fairly common for Apple to debut updated hardware just before WWDC

    I think we see a new ?TV at WWDC. Otherwise if there is enough software stuff to fill up the 2 hours we might not see any hardware at all.
Sign In or Register to comment.