Apple's iPhone 5c helps man survive shotgun blast to the chest

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    mieswallmieswall Posts: 84member

next Samsung ad: our phones are also bullet-proof!

• Reply 42 of 81
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

"But but but my phone would have done just as well"

Give it a rest.

• Reply 43 of 81
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not cheap plastic at all. I wonder how other plastic phones would do ?

This is nothing new.  I'm guessing Apple,Samsung, HTC, and Nokia phones must have saved at least 

dozen by now:

"According to  9to5Mac, which reported the incident via AppleDaily, a Taiwanese man, identified by his surname Han, was shot during a bar fight on Monday. But lucky for him, a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 was in his shirt pocket and served as a shield by stopping the bullet from penetrating through his chest.

...  According to the police, Xu shot Han from about 2-3 meters. The force of the bullet was controlled when it first penetrated the arm before the phone could eventually stop the bullet. Xu surrendered himself to the police later, AppleDaily added. This incident of a smartphone saving a life isn't the first. In May an off-duty cop's life was saved when a Nokia Lumia 520 stopped a bullet. In a separate incident, HTC EVO 3D was able to deflect a bullet, saving a man's life, last year. HTC sent a brand new EVO 3D to the survivor as a gesture of courtesy. Microsoft did not follow a similar feat, while it remains to be seen whether Samsung will ship out a new phone to Han."

• Reply 44 of 81
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member

A Virginia Commonwealth gun rights group has a logo which says "Guns Save Lives." Perhaps the same can now be said for iPhones.  ;-)

• Reply 45 of 81
    gonevwgonevw Posts: 45member
    An apple a day keeps the Dr away
  • Reply 46 of 81
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bryaneh View Post

Wait, how did he even get shot at all? England is a gun free zone! I thought if we had gun free zones crime would cease to exist.

It isn't a gun free zone.  It is almost a hand-gun free zone though.  Farmers and some others can get firearm licenses and shotguns are probably the most common weapon as the restrictions on rifles are tougher.

The UK has one of the lowest rates of homicides via firearm of any country at 0.04 deaths per 100,000 of population per annum.  Lets call that 1 death per 2.5 million people.  The US has about 71 homicides by firearm per 2.5 million.

• Reply 47 of 81
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    There are plenty of gun tests on iPhones on YouTube. Don't think many fared as well as this one though.
  • Reply 48 of 81
    bensonbenson Posts: 2member
    Awesome! There wasn't even an app for that.
  • Reply 49 of 81
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Wait, how did he even get shot at all? England is a gun free zone! I thought if we had gun free zones crime would cease to exist.

Brilliant logic.   We have laws against speeding and think they're a good idea, but people still speed.  Same for going through red lights.   Same for robbery.  Etc.   

No law can completely eliminate crime (or idiots).   But in 2008, there were 757 murders in the UK, gun related or otherwise.   In the U.S., there were 14,000 murders in the same year, 9500 of which were gun related.   In 2008, there were 61 million people in the UK as compared with about 300 million in the U.S.     So in the UK, there was one murder for about every 80,500 people and the U.S., there was one murder for about every 21,400 people, almost 4x the rate.   Some of the differences may have to do with culture and temperament, but it can't be denied that the U.S. has the highest rate of gun ownership of any civilized country in the world and one of the highest murder rates. 

• Reply 50 of 81
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I think you have overdosed on cool aid:

I don't think that minimalist frame around three edges is going to do anything to stop a .22 and absolutely nothing in the case of a 9mm.

The backshell in your photo won’t but no one has an iPhone 5C with only that frame.

This is the backshell that is actually used on the iPhone 5C. Also, there is the battery, motherboard and screen the bullet would need to travel thru.

and in the case of this story, it was enough to stop at least some of the shot...

• Reply 51 of 81
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

It's actually very easy to get a shotgun licence in the UK.

1 form, £50, a police check, a good reason for owning one (clay shooting) and a securely fitted gun cabinet.

Then you can go and buy a shotgun.

• Reply 52 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The backshell in your photo won’t but no one has an iPhone 5C with only that frame.

This is the backshell that is actually used on the iPhone 5C. Also, there is the battery, motherboard and screen the bullet would need to travel thru.

and in the case of this story, it was enough to stop at least some of the shot...

Absolutely no argument there at all.  This started because I said I had a polycarbonate bodied Nokia and thought it would likely have fared as well.  Surprisingly, my Nokia also has a MB, Gorilla Glass 2 screen, and a large battery.  Having fired .22 LR ammunition from a rifle, at tin cans, wood and other sundry stuff, I would have no confidence in my Nokia or a 5C not being penetrated.  I haven't fired a 9mm but I have a suspicion the original assertion would not stand up to a practical test.

• Reply 53 of 81
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    cnocbui wrote: »

It isn't a gun free zone.  It is almost a hand-gun free zone though.  Farmers and some others can get firearm licenses and shotguns are probably the most common weapon as the restrictions on rifles are tougher.

The UK has one of the lowest rates of homicides via firearm of any country at 0.04 deaths per 100,000 of population per annum.  Lets call that 1 death per 2.5 million people.  The US has about 71 homicides by firearm per 2.5 million.
    What's left out is other crimes are much higher!!! Not having a gun is not going to stop someone from killing people. There's even been school killings of adv number of people and all the person has was a knife.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. It's been going on for thousands of years, long before a gun even existed. Guns level the playing field. Allowing the weak to defend themselves against the strong. When you don't have that, rapes for example goes up. Knife killings go up. Etc, etc.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    bryanehbryaneh Posts: 9member
    Highest murder rates in the world? How about the U.S. being the 111th country in the world in per capita murders. Plus you have to remember that this includes gun control cities such as Washington, DC, Chicago, etc.

• Reply 55 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

What's left out is other crimes are much higher!!! Not having a gun is not going to stop someone from killing people. There's even been school killings of adv number of people and all the person has was a knife.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. It's been going on for thousands of years, long before a gun even existed. Guns level the playing field. Allowing the weak to defend themselves against the strong. When you don't have that, rapes for example goes up. Knife killings go up. Etc, etc.

Was that an attempt at comedy?

Guns make it easier to kill people than just about anything else one could name.  The murder rate in the UK is 1 per 100,000 population. In the US it's 4.7.  That doesn't seem to support the idea of guns leveling any playing fields between the weak and the strong.  Rape statistics don't support your gun defense assertion either, in fact it's a complete nonsense.  The number of Police reported rapes in the US is 27.1 per 100,000 versus a near identical 27.7 for the UK.  So no, guns don't prevent rape.  Lets not forget that it is reported that the perpetrators of rapes are usually someone known to the victim in the vast majority of cases

• Reply 56 of 81
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    This is nothing new.  I'm guessing Apple,Samsung, HTC, and Nokia phones must have saved at least 
    dozen by now:

"According to  <strong style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;list-style:none outside;margin:0px;padding:0px;"><a href="http://9to5google.com/2014/07/31/who-cares-if-its-plastic-this-mans-samsung-galaxy-mega-saved-his-life/" style="color:rgb(16,57,180);list-style:none outside;margin:0px;padding:0px;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank">9to5Mac</a>
    </strong>
    , which reported the incident via <strong style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-style:normal;list-style:none outside;margin:0px;padding:0px;"><a href="http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_14071542516357&key=c1c7d488bb2df8a8b659d5d41634d304&libId=9b222ba5-81ac-4493-bec4-311d6818c883&loc=http://9to5google.com/2014/07/31/who-cares-if-its-plastic-this-mans-samsung-galaxy" style="color:rgb(16,57,180);list-style:none outside;margin:0px;padding:0px;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank">AppleDaily</a>
    </strong>
    , a Taiwanese man, identified by his surname Han, was shot during a bar fight on Monday. But lucky for him, a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 was in his shirt pocket and served as a shield by stopping the bullet from penetrating through his chest.

...  <span style="line-height:1.4em;">According to the police, Xu shot Han from about 2-3 meters. The force of the bullet was controlled when it first penetrated the arm before the phone could eventually stop the bullet. Xu surrendered himself to the police later, AppleDaily added. </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">This incident of a smartphone saving a life isn't the first. In</span>
    May <span style="line-height:1.4em;">an off-duty cop's life was saved when a </span>
    <strong style="font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;list-style:none outside;margin:0px;padding:0px;"><a href="http://www.hngn.com/articles/30462/20140505/nokia-lumia-520-takes-bullet-saves-cop-s-life.htm?exe=reporter" style="color:rgb(16,57,180);list-style:none outside;margin:0px;padding:0px;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank">Nokia Lumia 520 stopped a bullet</a>
    </strong>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">. In a separate incident, HTC EVO 3D was able to deflect a bullet, saving a man's life, last year. HTC sent a brand new EVO 3D to the survivor as a gesture of courtesy. Microsoft did not follow a similar</span>
    feat, <span style="line-height:1.4em;">while it remains to be seen whether Samsung will ship out a new phone to Han."</span>
    How the heck do you fit a Galaxy MEGA in your shirt pocket?!

Only explanation is that he strapped it to his chest ahead of time to use as a shield.
  • Reply 57 of 81
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    50cal Vs iPhone 5C

• Reply 58 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

It was probably lead shot.  I am confused by what you are saying.

Polycarbonate is pretty good at absorbing and deforming.

Sorry, I meant to say heavier lead or steel. My shotgun is loaded with Winchester Nitro #4 high speed steel which would rip through just about anything including solid mahogany doors, steel doors, garage doors and even some concrete block.

• Reply 59 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

As usual, two useless comments that add nothing to the conversation/topic.

Whatever. Sorry I was not on topic

• Reply 60 of 81
    mystereomystereo Posts: 3member
    I'm more amazed it still made the emergency call even after the shot.