Apple's iPhone 5c helps man survive shotgun blast to the chest

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    cnocbui wrote: »

Was that an attempt at comedy?

Guns make it easier to kill people than just about anything else one could name.  The murder rate in the UK is 1 per 100,000 population. In the US it's 4.7.  That doesn't seem to support the idea of guns leveling any playing fields between the weak and the strong.  Rape statistics don't support your gun defense assertion either, in fact it's a complete nonsense.  The number of Police reported rapes in the US is 27.1 per 100,000 versus a near identical 27.7 for the UK.  So no, guns don't prevent rape.  Lets not forget that it is reported that the perpetrators of rapes are usually someone known to the victim in the vast majority of cases

You should also respond to comment number 55, he posted this link:

• Reply 62 of 81
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

You should also respond to comment number 55, he posted this link:

Should I?

I haven't followed the link so I don't feel qualified to comment.

• Reply 63 of 81
    cnocbui wrote: »

Should I?

I haven't followed the link so I don't feel qualified to comment.

Yeah, you should totally watch the video first, though.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

it cant be denied that the U.S. has the highest rate of gun ownership of any civilized country in the world and one of the highest murder rates. 

It also can’t be denied that there’s no correlation.

• Reply 65 of 81
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mieswall View Post

next Samsung ad: our phones are also bullet-proof!

Right shut your yap!

• Reply 66 of 81
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not to minimize the seriousness but that is birdshot which usually has much less gunpowder than say buckshot. Same stuff that Dick Cheney uses on his friends. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

That was very close range (based on the spread pattern).   That will kill you at that range.

You are missing the point.  If the kid who shot him had a regular handgun (or a buckshot round, not a birdshot round), the bullet/buckshot would have gone right through the plastic iPhone 5C.

• Reply 67 of 81
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    hillstones wrote: »
    You are missing the point.  If the kid who shot him had a regular handgun (or a buckshot round, not a birdshot round), the bullet/buckshot would have gone right through the plastic iPhone 5C.

I am not convinced a 9mm would have gone through it. The 5c against a person (as opposed to a hard item like concrete) might very well deflect/absorb a 9mm round. Especially a hollow point. Polycarbonate is very strong and deformable and there is a metal plate behind it to back it up.

And yes, I have a clue. I sell reloading equipment and firearms accessories and have been to many handgun classes and have shot lots of things in 'test' mode. Never shot a 5c though.

The bird shot is a clue as well. An ounce of bird shot weighs more than a 9mm and this birdshot hardly spread at all and so it hit as more or less a single blob and the velocities will be similar between the birdshot and the 9mm.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Guns make it easier to kill people than just about anything else one could name.  The murder rate in the UK is 1 per 100,000 population. In the US it's 4.7.  That doesn't seem to support the idea of guns leveling any playing fields between the weak and the strong.  Rape statistics don't support your gun defense assertion either, in fact it's a complete nonsense.  The number of Police reported rapes in the US is 27.1 per 100,000 versus a near identical 27.7 for the UK.  So no, guns don't prevent rape.  Lets not forget that it is reported that the perpetrators of rapes are usually someone known to the victim in the vast majority of cases

Your data are/is useless to try and show anything about guns.    Criminilogocal studies consistently show that the areas of the US with the highest rate of firearms ownership also have lower violent crime rates.   The areas with the highest rates of violent crime have the most stringent "gun control."

And, yes, guns do prevent rape.  Not all rapes, but there are plenty of cases where women with a firearm are assaulted and a rape does not occur because the woman is able to protect herself with the firearm.

And if you think firearms are not available in the UK, think again.     The Guardian reported "Firearms: cheap, easy to get and on a street near you" 

And lastly, murder/homicide is reported differently in the UK than the US.   In the UK crimes are reported on the outcome of the investigation and trial.   In the US crimes are reported on "initial data" meaning initial reporting of the crime.    As one investigator put it, "The murder rate in the UK according to US standards is double or higher than their reported rate. It may be impossible to produce an actual apples to apples comparison number from official sources."

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe that the majority of firearms related deaths, non-suicide, non-accidental, in the US are criminal on criminal.  Drug gangs knocking each other off and that sort of thing.    This jives with the criminological evidences that the areas with more firearms ownership tend to have less violent crime and that millions of crimes are averted each year in the US by use of a firearm.

• Reply 69 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Criminilogocal studies consistently show that the areas of the US with the highest rate of firearms ownership also have lower violent crime rates.   The areas with the highest rates of violent crime have the most stringent "gun control."

And lastly, murder/homicide is reported differently in the UK than the US.

Meanwhile, on Airstrip One… 

• Reply 70 of 81
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    I remember Steve Jobs talking about the polycarbonate iBook during the MacWorld 99 keynote as being "the stuff they make bullet proof vests out of." Perhaps they should start making bullet proof vests out of "the stuff they make iPhones out of."
  • Reply 71 of 81
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Your data are/is useless to try and show anything about guns.    Criminilogocal studies consistently show that the areas of the US with the highest rate of firearms ownership also have lower violent crime rates.   The areas with the highest rates of violent crime have the most stringent "gun control."

Please come up with some statistics because I believe that's totally and absolutely wrong.  

While I admit that I thought it was the opposite (more guns=more violent crime), taking a quick look at the 2012 FBI violent crime statistics, I'd say it's neither.   While someone who knows far more about statistics than I do could probably do a more accurate analysis, if we look at large cities in places that have high and low gun ownership, there doesn't seem to be any correlation.  

For Texas, where I think most people believe there are the most guns, we see both high and low crime rates, with Houston at 993 violent crimes per 100,000 people and Austin with only 409.   I suspect a greater indicator of violent crime may be poverty levels than gun ownership. 

City / # of violent crimes per 100,000 people

Detroit 2123

St. Louis 1776

Baltimore 1405

Cleveland 1384

Atlanta 1379

Milwaukee 1294

Nashville 1216

Indianapolis 1185

Washington, D.C. 1178

Miami  1172

Philadelphia 1160

Newark, NJ 1155

Baton Rouge 1083

Houston 993

Minneapolis 992

Tulsa 990

Oklahoma City 919

Boston 835

Anchorage, Alaska    829

New Orleans 815

Las Vegas 784

Albuquerque 750

San Francisco 704

Dallas 675

Winston-Salem 663

Charlotte, NC 648

New York City 639

Phoenix, AZ   637

Jacksonville, FL 617

Denver 616

Louisville Metro, KY  599

Omaha 595

Ft. Worth 587

Fresno, CA 543

Portland 517

San Antonio 503

Los Angeles 481

El Paso 473

Raleigh, NC 423

Austin 409

Accurate gun ownership statistics are hard to come by, but most surveys show that the highest rates of gun ownership are in the South, by those who identify as conservative Republicans.  Rates go down as education increases.   But rates go up with income, up to the $75,000 level.   

In 2013, an article in the New York Times from the "General Social Survey" indicated that gun ownership rates were actually substantially dropping (hard to believe, but that's what they claimed).    

Quote:

The household gun ownership rate has fallen from an average of 50 percent in the 1970s to 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s and 35 percent in the 2000s, according to the survey data, analyzed by The New York Times.

• Reply 72 of 81
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryaneh View Post

Highest murder rates in the world? How about the U.S. being the 111th country in the world in per capita murders. Plus you have to remember that this includes gun control cities such as Washington, DC, Chicago, etc.

I stand corrected, we are the 111th, but almost every country above us on the list is in the third world or in Latin American countries where drug gangs are prevalent.   All European countries are well below us as well as other countries with low gun ownership rates, due to tight laws. 

Our rate is 4.7 per 100,000 people.   

UK and France is 1.0

Italy, Austria, The Netherlands and New Zealand is 0.9

Denmark, Spain and Germany is 0.8

Sweden is 0.7

Japan is 0.3

So either the problem is high gun ownership rates or guns have nothing to do with it ("guns don't kill people, people do") and we're simply a far more violent people.  Take your pick. 

• Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:

I stand corrected, we are the 111th, but almost every country above us on the list is in the third world or in Latin American countries where drug gangs are prevalent.   All European countries are well below us as well as other countries with low gun ownership rates, due to tight laws. 

UK and France is 1.0

Sweden is 0.7

Japan is 0.3

So either the problem is high gun ownership rates or guns have nothing to do with it ("guns don't kill people, people do") and we're simply a far more violent people.  Take your pick. 

The UK rate is actually much higher than reported, as they only report AFTER investigation and trial are finished.   Bullet ridden body is found in the UK (at least in England), and no one is ever charged/convicted of murder, it does not go down as a murder in the UK books.  Same would be counted as murder in the US.   You can Google this.   All violent crime reporting is done to much different standards than in the US.  There are plenty of articles about this.

And you excuse for Latin America high rates also applies in the US:  a large percentage of homicides committed with firearms is committed by drug gangs / to control drug trade.

The US murder rate and violent crime rate has gone down significantly in the last 20 or 30 years but there are many more guns sold now.  Much research has been done on this (US govt data as well as Pew Research data).  Google an article called "Disarming Realities: As Gun Sales Soar, Gun Crimes Plummet"

Chicago, a bastion of very strict gun control, has almost 3 times the rate of homicide as the whole of Illinois.  Typically the worst places for gun control also have more so-called gun violence.    I am not saying it is caused by it.  It could be a coincidence, or it could also be caused by it, or it could be that those areas ruled by politicians who tend to favor strict gun control also tend to favor policies that induce violence (poverty programs, etc.).  Who knows.

You can Google "More Guns Less Crime" and find John Lott's research as well as work written against his work.  You have to figure out which you believe but there is significant data to show that as more states allow concealed carry by citizens, their violent crime rates go down.

• Reply 74 of 81
    Quote:

Accurate gun ownership statistics are hard to come by, but most surveys show that the highest rates of gun ownership are in the South, by those who identify as conservative Republicans.  Rates go down as education increases.   But rates go up with income, up to the $75,000 level.   

In 2013, an article in the New York Times from the "General Social Survey" indicated that gun ownership rates were actually substantially dropping (hard to believe, but that's what they claimed).    

Various surveys

http://www.statisticbrain.com/gun-ownership-statistics-demographics/

http://usliberals.about.com/od/Election2012Factors/a/Gun-Owners-As-Percentage-Of-Each-States-Population.htm   Note that the top 4 states with the most, and 6 out of the top 10 are not in the South (7 if W Virginia is removed from the South) according to these numbers (2007)

and one more on guns vs crime

http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/28/gun-crime-continues-to-decrease-despite-increase-in-gun-ownership/

• Reply 75 of 81
    torsteinotorsteino Posts: 18member
    Interesting... So guns does NOT make it simpler to kill than if using a knife or similar? Someone needs to tell that to the armed forces of the world, since they seem to be convinced of the opposite... And btw if it is just as easy to kill with a knife or similar, why does so many want a gun for "protection"?

The fact is that a gun is far more efficient weapon than a knife. And - where do you think criminals get their guns? Pretty much all guns used in crimes started out as legally sold guns, which at some point my have been stolen - or the legal owner crossed the line. If you want less guns in the hands of criminals, you have to cut their supply - the LEGAL guns.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    torsteino wrote: »
    Interesting... So guns does NOT make it simpler to kill than if using a knife or similar? Someone needs to tell that to the armed forces of the world, since they seem to be convinced of the opposite... And btw if it is just as easy to kill with a knife or similar, why does so many want a gun for "protection"?

The fact is that a gun is far more efficient weapon than a knife. And - where do you think criminals get their guns? Pretty much all guns used in crimes started out as legally sold guns, which at some point my have been stolen - or the legal owner crossed the line. If you want less guns in the hands of criminals, you have to cut their supply - the LEGAL guns.
    I agree we have to cut the supply but we have the Constitution that says we can't. But then again drugs are illegal and that worked so well.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

He misses a lot.  He's also completely full of shit.

You fucking don't know crap about calibers, just shut the fck up. .22 can't even kill the damn wild turkey...

• Reply 78 of 81
    Quote:

And you don't know sh.t about US murder rate by legally owned guns. Most of murders/homicides by guns were illegal guns which means everyone with money can buy an illegal gun. People got killed in US by legal guns were even less than by baseball bats or kitchen knives. You should stop commenting things about US from the the country 1/2 way around the world.

• Reply 79 of 81
    Quote:

UK and France is 1.0

Sweden is 0.7

Japan is 0.3

The problem is that at the place with highly controlled gun ownership, more murders by guns than other places, ex: Chicago. "We're far more violent people"? Well, gang related murders are #1 in this country and Gangbangers don't represent us or people in this country.

• Reply 80 of 81
    bobdylanbobdylan Posts: 37member
    I remember back in 2007 when I had an iBook G4 12", tiny little machine but when S.Jobs introduced it he said that the polycarbonate case was made of the same material that was used in bulletproof vests. I was on a super loaded bus and the thin fabric messenger bag I had it in got behind the massive bus door as it opened and pressed the laptop on its edge against the bus wall. I assumed my laptop would be broken in half given the force of the door, but it actually emerged unscathed. I later saw a stress test where they actually tried to drill with a 3 inch diameter drill through that laptop and it took them a good minute to even pierce through the shell. I would assume Jony Ive reached in his bag of magic materials for iPhone 5c and picked a similar type of polycarbonate. Impressive!