Google reveals Google Photos with free, unlimited photo and video storage [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 128
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Sadly, I will seriously consider switching.

I am getting ready to finally give up on the clunkiness of iCloud.
  • Reply 62 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

The difference is that Apple doesn't make money by trolling through their customer's content and finding ways to market to them.
    Of course they do. iAd is meant to be profitable and not a loss-leader and Apple users are the "product". So what?
  • Reply 63 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Google will probably just use your photos for free in advertising. Why pay for stock photos when some sucker purposely gives them access.
  • Reply 64 of 128
    jungmark wrote: »
    Google will probably just use your photos for free in advertising. Why pay for stock photos when some sucker purposely gives them access.
    I think Google emphasized that your photo collections are private. I also read a pretty good summation a few minutes ago. Sounds well thought out and darn nice IMO.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/google-photos-app-news/
  • Reply 65 of 128
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I wouldn't mind paying Apple

I'm already paying them, but I don't like it. Flickr has been free with 1TB for what, 2 years now?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Right now, both ecosystems provide a great experience. A lot of your choice comes down to price and hardware appearance.

I still think iOS looks and works way better. Android still feels extremely rough, and Lollipop is as Fisher Price as XP.

• Reply 66 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think Google emphasized that your photo collections are private. I also read a pretty good summation a few minutes ago. Sounds well thought out and darn nice IMO.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/google-photos-app-news/

Yes because Google never works around privacy settings.
  • Reply 67 of 128
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    gregquinn wrote: »
    I think there's truth in that statement in respect to a general services company like Google. The problem for Apple (and maybe others like Dropbox) is that cloud storage is careening towards completely free. I see Apple eventually offering completely free cloud storage for current OSX/iOS users. Users like you who are happy to purchase it are I think in the minority.

That might be true for those who only need 20GB or less but I have 1TB with Google Drive and OneDrive and am more than happy to pay for their service, also the two cloud services together is less than a single TB from Apple. iCloud is still too expensive, even after their price adjustment, Apple doesn't need to make it a free service but they defiantly need to cut the price in half. Even DropBox, which is considered one of the more expensive services around is 80 dollars cheaper a year than iCloud for 1TB.
  • Reply 68 of 128
    jungmark wrote: »
    Yes because Google never works around privacy settings.
    Yeah I'm sure Google is hoping for more government intervention by ignoring their stated privacy policies. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 69 of 128
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mstone wrote: »
    No one knows what Google does with the information they harvest. I really doubt it stops at metadata. They could even do some face recognition to find out who you associate with. One thing I'm convinced of though, is that they do not sell the information they collect as so many here claim.

When people say that I've always assumed they meant as in, selling access to you via your profile data, which is exactly what Google does. As a business I've used their ad stuff and I got to pick all sorts of meta data to target my reach with. So are they selling user data packaged to third parties? No. Are they selling your data as part of their ads product to their own customers? Yes. Of course yes.

Whether that matters or not is up to you.
  • Reply 70 of 128
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    When people say that I've always assumed they meant as in, selling access to you via your profile data, which is exactly what Google does. As a business I've used their ad stuff and I got to pick all sorts of meta data to target my reach with. So are they selling user data packaged to third parties? No. Are they selling your data as part of their ads product to their own customers? Yes. Of course yes.

Whether that matters or not is up to you.
    Is iAd somehow different other than in scale? Apple is even making a valiant effort to improve on that too, throwing more resources at it and with a new-found willingness to accommodate the wants and wishes of the advertisers. Advertising isn't inherently evil is it, even targeted advertising?
  • Reply 71 of 128
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Is iAd somehow different other than in scale? Apple is even making a valiant effort to improve on that too, throwing more resources at it and with a new-found willingness to accommodate the wishes of the advertisers. Advertising isn't inherently evil is it, even targeted advertising?

Apple doesn't collect information on age, gender relationship status, type of relationship one is looking for and education. These are all potential ad targeting demographics.

• Reply 72 of 128
    davestalldavestall Posts: 48member
    There is a difference in the android app vs ios app functionality. The android app uploads photos in the background as soon as the photo is taken (if you are in wifi, or give the app permission to use cellular data). With the IOS app, photos are only uploaded when your open the google photo app.

Google says they are aware of this, but it is a limitation of the multitasking design of IOS.

Other than that the service is spectacular. I turned it on and in minutes had several thousand photos grouped by place, face, story.

And you can search the image by the content of the photos! For example, I searched for jumping, and it showed all the pics of people jumping in my photos. The facial recognition is scary good. Hardly a need to tag photos anymore.
  • Reply 73 of 128
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

Oh they already know a whole lot a little more won't hurt.

People would be freaked out if they knew the wealth of info Google has on us. I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is and quit Google search altogether.

Eric Schmidt, the most creepy guy in the world, said thank you and applaud your attitude.

I'm still using Google search in some capacity though. That doesn't mean I'm willing to give them access to info of all my photos.

• Reply 74 of 128
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    pistis wrote: »
    Yep... Apple needs to step up their game in Cloud storage and services.

You don't actually believe any is really free at Google do you

Sheesh

I'd rather sell my soul to the devil

I wouldn't even say that.

But I also would not use Google.
  • Reply 75 of 128
    g-mog-mo Posts: 2member
    If you're not paying for it, you're the product being sold!

[IMG]http://geekandpoke.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341d3df553ef0147e0e1aec2970b-pi[/IMG]
  • Reply 76 of 128
    paul turnerpaul turner Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

I figure it cheaper to buy iCloud storage than buy extra hard disk space each time I replace a Laptop

You can get 200 GB for $3.99 per month 

thats $4*12months *3yrs= $144 for 3 years

Advantages : auto backup in cloud, no migration issues when buying new computer, security if Mac stolen

Disadvantages: can't think of any really

• Reply 77 of 128
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member

Just tried Google Photos and it's WAY MUCH better than Apple Photos and I mean a MAGNITUDE better! It's amazing how they use intelligent algorithms to sort out photos based on people, food, places, etc. The ability to swipe several photos at once is awesome! 

• Reply 78 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Glad to read that, I bought extra space in iCloud from apple for $3 per month (, I figure that its cheaper than buying a bigger hard drive on every computer I buy from apple and of course its all backed up to the cloud + i don't have to migrate my files each time I buy a computer either. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is really shameful for Apple. There free cloud storage is pathetic.

I own an iPad, Mac, iPhone 5S, and iPhone6.  

FOUR FRIKEN DEVICES.  yet they only give me 5GB of free storage.  

At bear minimum it should be 5GB per device.

You pay thousand of dollars of Apple kit  you can't afford $4 a month for 50GB of storage? 

• Reply 79 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teco221 View Post

I won't use it. After Google analyzed the photo and video, Google would know who, where and what you did. No thanks.

Totally agree, I don't trust google at all

• Reply 80 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Just tried Google Photos and it's WAY MUCH better than Apple Photos and I mean a MAGNITUDE better! It's amazing how they use intelligent algorithms to sort out photos based on people, food, places, etc. The ability to swipe several photos at once is awesome! 

but you can't store your other pics can you?