Google reveals Google Photos with free, unlimited photo and video storage [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 128
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Great news. This should be enough of an embarrassment for Apple to completely reconsider their iCloud strategy. If they want in the game, they have to stop screwing around and amp up the storage space.

Competition is fierce and people are only willing to pay pennies for this type of service. It's time for them to accept that this will merely help them sell hardware and move on.

It's 2015. Apple has the $$$. Let's get with the program.

• Reply 82 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jguther View Post

To say that Apple should give us more free storage because Google give us unlimited free storage is nonsense.

Neither Google nor Apple give you anything for free.

Apple give you 5GB and you pay for it with the hardware.

Google give you all kind of "services", for which you pay with your privacy and your time.

some of us are wondering why we don't at least get 5GB per device. No, not just google is offering it, many people have been expecting an increase at least to a useful amount for a long time. If i registered each with its own iTunes account i would have 5GB per device.

like many, i have small iPad, regular iPad, macbook retina, macbook 12 and an iPhone 6 all on one iTunes account naturally. 5GB doesn't even allow the iPads to backup to the cloud. 5GB per device seems reasonable.

• Reply 83 of 128
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The devil serves ads?? image

Yes he goes by another name and serves on googles board, Eric Schmidt

• Reply 84 of 128
    joshuarayerjoshuarayer Posts: 151member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Makes you wonder how Apple got be worth over twice what Google is worth and dwarf them in revenue and profit. Must be lots of dumb people sticking with Apple, just like the trolls always say.

Because Apple charges two arms and a leg for their products and services and people are stupid enough to pay for it
  • Reply 85 of 128
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Lies. That's not what happens. Please provide proof.

Lol are you kidding?  You are the product at google. They have been caught so many times for harvesting there customers info and selling it without permission what you said was laughable.

• Reply 86 of 128
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    netrox wrote: »
    Just tried Google Photos and it's WAY MUCH better than Apple Photos and I mean a MAGNITUDE better! It's amazing how they use intelligent algorithms to sort out photos based on people, food, places, etc. The ability to swipe several photos at once is awesome! 

Use Yahoo's Flickr. You get 1 TB for free.
  • Reply 87 of 128
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Use Yahoo's Flickr. You get 1 TB for free.

And you get infinity terabytes for free on Google Photos. Flickr is a respectable service, but it has been surpassed, and no amount of free storage is going to change that.

• Reply 88 of 128
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Sadly, I will seriously consider switching.

I am getting ready to finally give up on the clunkiness of iCloud.

It is shame that Apple is still offering 5GB per account for everything. That 5GB is from 2011!! I gave up on complaining about this. I have three iOS devices plus MBP and that damn "Running out of storage" warning keep showing up every day. I don't want to buy your storage Apple... I already have my own NAS.
  • Reply 89 of 128
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

For those that say Apple is a business and should never give anything away for free (or that nothing is free, due to ads, etc), remember that Apple gives lots of stuff away for free.

You can be on Windows and enjoy using Safari and iTunes. If you're on a Mac, software you once paid for is now either very inexpensive or outright free (iOS, OS X, Photos, iMovie, etc).

Of course, Apple doesn't have to do anything they don't want. But if they want to play in the Cloud sandbox, they have to reconsider their strategy. I would think they'd want to offer enough storage where the average person would enjoy the hell out of it and be willing to pay for more if needed.

Right now, many of us feel nickeled and dimed. We bought the hardware and now only want at least enough storage to backup our devices with perhaps a few tunes and photos as well.

I look at it simply as Apple not reacting fast enough to the market. They seem to be lagging in this area because they offer too little for fee and charge too much for extra space.

It's easily fixed...I'm sure we'll hear more on that come June.

• Reply 90 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickFaced View Post

Flickr stores the original

I agree, that's a plus, but Google does as well to a point. To quote their press release:

"We maintain the original resolution up to 16MP for photos, and 1080p high-definition for videos"

Yes, that's a limitation, but seeing as how my phone has an 8MP camera, and our DSLR has a 16MP sensor, this is of little issue, and will be for 99% of people using services like this.

• Reply 91 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RickFaced View Post

My Sony Alpha 6000 shoots at 24.3 MP, so Flickr is advantageous for me.

Fair enough, and it's good there are many alternatives out there for cases such as yours where another service would be better.

• Reply 92 of 128
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    I eagerly await for when Google decides this is not part of their core platform offering and dumps the feature with 30 days notice for everyone to download their images. Oh hello, Picasa, reader, voice et. al.
  • Reply 93 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

I don't understand the entitlement people feel from Photo services. You wouldn't walk into the store and expect to walk out with a physical photo album and pay nothing for it. So why should we expect services be given to us for free? You're going to pay for it one way or another. Google is a business.

Eve so, I'll be surprised if Google makes any substantive gains in the Photos space even though it has the appearance of being free, cause they don't solve the underlying problem that nobody has solved — we have far too many photos and the experience of actually looking back through your photos sucks. Not even Apple has made that an enjoyable experience.

Don't underestimate the Millennial generation! They expect everything handed to them on a plate! OF course when it comes time to pay their student loans back expect to hear an outcry! iCloud charges will be the least of their concerns at that point. 

• Reply 94 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by teco221 View Post

If market share is so important to you, shouldn't you be using Samsung phone??

The original poster say that Google has 90% of market, well I think that was the number a few years ago and it down significantly now that Facebook is heavily beating them in mobile and Apple is pushing the traitor off iOS

• Reply 95 of 128
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ecats wrote: »
    I eagerly await for when Google decides this is not part of their core platform offering and dumps the feature with 30 days notice for everyone to download their images. Oh hello, Picasa, reader, voice et. al.

Sure, it could happen. After all, Google cannot afford to give everything away for free forever. Unless these incentives bring in customers for their services AND fill out their ad sales, the gravy train derails and falls into a canyon.
  • Reply 96 of 128
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

So Google have just introduced something Amazon has been doing for ages. The also introduced Android Pay which Apple has been doing for ages, fingerprint support like Apple and offline maps that Here maps have been doing for ages. Oh, I almost forgot, the ability to download YouTube videos that third party apps have been doing for ages. I wonder where they get their ideas from? /s

Google had Google Wallet for ages, long before Apple. Android Pay is just an upgrade of this.

Google were publically developing fingerprint support before Apple announced their product. Who started first is anyones guess.

Android have allowed you to use off-line navigation for years, but you needed online for full features. If you plugged in a location on wi-fi before leaving your hotel you would get turn by turn voice notifications, but needed to reconnect if you had to recalculate the path for some reason - traffic accident, missed turn, etc. Later they allowed map downloads so you could do more off-line but still less than online. Now you can calculate routes offline and still get turn by turn voice guides. Once you reach your destination you can search for Italian Restaurant and you get restaurants in the area, opening times and reviews all offline. 

Downloading youtube videos is a legal way to give you a short duration copy of a video. Taking a permanent copy would be violating rights of owners.

• Reply 97 of 128
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Google had Google Wallet for ages, long before Apple. Android Pay is just an upgrade of this.

Google were publically developing fingerprint support before Apple announced their product. Who started first is anyones guess.

Android have allowed you to use off-line navigation for years, but you needed online for full features. If you plugged in a location on wi-fi before leaving your hotel you would get turn by turn voice notifications, but needed to reconnect if you had to recalculate the path for some reason - traffic accident, missed turn, etc. Later they allowed map downloads so you could do more off-line but still less than online. Now you can calculate routes offline and still get turn by turn voice guides. Once you reach your destination you can search for Italian Restaurant and you get restaurants in the area, opening times and reviews all offline. 

Downloading youtube videos is a legal way to give you a short duration copy of a video. Taking a permanent copy would be violating rights of owners.

Android Pay isn't an upgrade from Wallet, it works in a completely different way, which is the Apple Pay way.

Of course Google was developing fingerprint support before Apple but they are now 2 years late. Makes sense... NOT.

• Reply 98 of 128
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    ecats wrote: »

Google might have canceled some of their services in the past but they've never deleted any of my data, I still have every picture that I've stored on Picasso. So as long as it's free I'm definitely going to take advantage of Google Photos. What a lot of you have missed is that you can upload movies, I'm in the process of moving over 300 films from my Google Drive to Google Photos. I don't know about iOS as I haven't tried it yet but with the Android client you can stream any film that you've uploaded as if it was stored locally, very cool. Some container files like .mkv might need to be converted if you watch the film directly from client or just use VLC, you can also play the file from the web interface and Google will convert the file on the fly. This new system Google is giving away was made for ripped/encoded films, I'm so happy that I no longer have to use up Google Drive storage.
  • Reply 99 of 128
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Quote:

Android Pay isn't an upgrade from Wallet, it works in a completely different way, which is the Apple Pay way.

Of course Google was developing fingerprint support before Apple but they are now 2 years late. Makes sense... NOT.

Main difference is that Android pay is not as tightly integrated with Mastercard. Still generates a temporary account so you do not have to share card details with retailer and still uses NFC. Only now can use many point of sales terminals, not only PayPass.

Not yet clear, but it looks like the online purchases and peer to peer transfers will still be handled under old name of Google Wallet. 

• Reply 100 of 128
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    nairb wrote: »

Then why change the name - why not keep it as Google Wallet?

Just saying the didn't put it on their own devices until Apple introduced it?

I agree, you could use Google maps to navigate, but it would not reroute you making it virtually useless offline. Only Here maps offered a usable solution.

If downloading YouTube videos is illegal, why does Google allow down loaders in the play store? The could easily remove them if they so wished.