Tim Cook hints Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts could take stage today at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'm just saying its a bad look to have only men do the presentations, thats all.

How so? To me this kind of attitude is just playing into the hands of those who want diversity for diversity's sake...rather than fair and equal treatment of all.

• Reply 42 of 76
    Quote:

its called Marketing.

Diversity is good for Marketing.

Thats essentially my entire point. Its not for any legitimate, honest reason. Its for PR.

• Reply 43 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    pmz wrote: »

How so? To me this kind of attitude is just playing into the hands of those who want diversity for diversity's sake...rather than fair and equal treatment of all.

Frankly, the most recent "diversity" propaganda smacks of groundwork being laid as a stealth Hillary for president campaign and it is repellant. I have absolutely no objection to a woman president, but I do have an objection to another Clinton in power.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    melgross wrote: »
    So you think that Apple has no woman that should be up there, that it's only competent men at Apple?

Talk about bullshit!

Are you completely blind to the disgusting trend of force-fed diversity in the media? 

I'm all for competent and capable women playing any role a man can, and vice versa. I couldn't care less who stands up there to deliver the goods. I DO care however about whether or not the person up there belongs there, or is there because management is responding to a particularly grotesque PR trend that is eroding honesty and freedom.

I've been dealing with/watching Apple since 1978, and they've never done any force-fed diversity, to my knowledge.

Rather, they have pioneered in providing equal opportunity and supported the necessary infrastructure to accomplish it!

If Apple puts a woman (or a man) on stage -- I believe it is because she/he is the best qualified!

Boom!
  • Reply 45 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    melgross wrote: »
    Seriously, have you EVER watched a developers conference? EVER? They always talk about sales, stores, production, etc. Always.

Developers want very much to see how the ship is going. The better Apple is doing, the happier they are. So Apple always talks about how many people visited the stores the previous quarter, how sales are doing, how many app downloads there were, how much money Apple has paid out to developers, etc.

The last two years Apple has been all business. Aside from AppStore and OS figures there has been little talk of financials, retail etc. If Apple has a full agenda today we won't hear that other stuff. If they don't then Cook will probably spend time on it. My guess is there will be a bigger focus on privacy this year.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:

So Marketing is not an honest profession?

So I guess Apple should stop doing TV commericals from now on?

Seriously.  You are living in a dreamland.  Apple is running a business.

Don't be silly. And don't put words in my mouth to derail the topic.

Faux-feminisim has reached an all time high in the media this year, and Apple is responding to it. Who asks the question, "Why aren't more women giving keynotes?" That is the kind of stupid irrelevant question that comes from someone who has had their agenda written for them by #trending #topics.

• Reply 47 of 76
    sog35 wrote: »

So Marketing is not an honest profession?

So I guess Apple should stop doing TV commericals from now on?

Seriously.  You are living in a dreamland.  Apple is running a business.

Don't be silly. And don't put words in my mouth to derail the topic.
    Faux-feminisim has reached an all time high in the media this year, and Apple is responding to it. Who asks the question, "Why aren't more women giving keynotes?" That is the kind of stupid irrelevant question that comes from someone who has had their agenda written for them by #trending #topics.

... But, the point is: Tim already had the answer before the question was asked.

What kind of response, in your mind, would not be Faux-feminisim?
  • Reply 48 of 76
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Diversity? The selection process for corporate ranks is so intense, I suspect there's not a gnat's eyelash in difference between the men and women. They're as alike as peas in a pod.

Besides, I thought that claiming there are differences between men and women was sexist. Which is it%u2014diversity or equality? Each denies the other. We live in a most illogical age. Thinking has become the secular 'sin unto death.'

I might add that I care a rip about this squabble about gender ratios in top corporate positions. I worry far more about the millions of kids growing up in single-parent homes. In practice that means an overworked mother and an absent father. In some cases, it means something vastly worse than that. When I worked in pediatric oncology, I cared for three children dying of cancer who had no one in their family staying with or visiting them. That matters. This doesn't.

And no, the fact that Angela Ahrendts is getting a six or seven-figure income won't improve the lot of those women. In fact, the problem has grown far worse as the number of women in executive suites has exploded. Why? Because the Hillary Clinton School of Feminism doesn't give a rip about those women or their children. They're too busy raking in the bucks from boilerplate $200,000 speeches.

Charles Murray explains the real causes in Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010. Read that if you want to understand what's going on. Ignore the self-serving corporate gush out of Cupertino and from Tim Cook.

--Michael W. Perry, My Nights with Leukemia: Caring for Children with Cancer.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    rogifan wrote: »
    My guess is there will be a bigger focus on privacy this year.
    Wouldn't be surprised. That's the issue du jour. Now everyone is on the "simplify your privacy policy" kick too.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Frankly, the most recent "diversity" propaganda smacks of groundwork being laid as a stealth Hillary for president campaign and it is repellant. I have absolutely no objection to a woman president, but I do have an objection to another Clinton in power.

Why must so many of your posts turn into political diatribe?

• Reply 51 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    hopefully with an announcement with a new Apple run Search.

Saying privacy is important and that Google is evil goes only so far if you can't provide a decent alternative.

Yes. And Apple needs to be careful here. Don't say Google is selling your photos to advertisers unless you can back it up. Personally I think that was FUD. And Cook should know better.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

google is selling your photos.  thats what they do.

That's not what they do. But their terms of service for their photo app leave that open as a possibility in the future.

• Reply 53 of 76
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He's also looking to have more role models at Apple for women and minorities -- a trend that's expected to begin in earnest today with the WWDC keynote.

Due to the way the paragraph breaks, I read this as fashion runway models the first time, considering Ahrendts and the focus on fashion as of late. ;-)

Ahrendts is in charge of Apple's retail stores. Yes, she did come from the fashion industry, but afaik, she has nothing to do with AppleWatch and its focus on fashion.

Unless, of course, you know something that we don't. If so, please provide a cite or a link or a source. Otherwise, do the decent thing, and shut up.

• Reply 54 of 76
    Developers don't want to hear from a pretty face who has no real clue, they want to hear from someone who knows the difference between GCC and LLVM.

I would hardly call Craig Federighi pretty with no real clue. :smokey:
  • Reply 55 of 76
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

To be 100% honest I did ask a similiar question the last few years. Why are all the Apple presenters look the same?  White, male, 30's-50's.

I have too. The lack of ethnic diversity -- leave alone gender diversity -- has surprised me a bit as well, especially when Silicon Valley is full of Asians (including Indians), and are often seen and prominently featured in public presentations made by other large companies (Google, Microsoft, Adobe...).

I am not remotely suggesting it's wrong to have had only white males or that one should have quotas for race, gender, etc., but Apple does stick out on this score. I have heard people bring this up in conversations.

• Reply 56 of 76
    inkling wrote: »
    Diversity? The selection process for corporate ranks is so intense, I suspect there's not a gnat's eyelash in difference between the men and women. They're as alike as peas in a pod.

Besides, I thought that claiming there are differences between men and women was sexist. Which is it%u2014diversity or equality? Each denies the other. We live in a most illogical age. Thinking has become the secular 'sin unto death.'

I might add that I care a rip about this squabble about gender ratios in top corporate positions. I worry far more about the millions of kids growing up in single-parent homes. In practice that means an overworked mother and an absent father. In some cases, it means something vastly worse than that. When I worked in pediatric oncology, I cared for three children dying of cancer who had no one in their family staying with or visiting them. That matters. This doesn't.

And no, the fact that Angela Ahrendts is getting a six or seven-figure income won't improve the lot of those women. In fact, the problem has grown far worse as the number of women in executive suites has exploded. Why? Because the Hillary Clinton School of Feminism doesn't give a rip about those women or their children. They're too busy raking in the bucks from boilerplate $200,000 speeches.

Charles Murray explains the real causes in Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010. Read that if you want to understand what's going on. Ignore the self-serving corporate gush out of Cupertino and from Tim Cook.

--Michael W. Perry, My Nights with Leukemia: Caring for Children with Cancer.

What is self-serving about trying to improve any situation when provided with the awareness, the means and the opportunity?
  • Reply 57 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    google is selling your photos.  thats what they do.

LOL! You forgot the /s tag. Someone that didn't know you better might think you didn't read much and were being serious.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

I don't care what Apple has done in the past.

It was  a mistake putting Lynch on stage to show off the Watch in March.  They need to put someone with style and carisma to show the watch.

I'm sorry but Peter Lynch is not a good front man to sell a watch that is about style.

Would you like to see Lynch on TV commericals selling the Apple watch? hell no.  I respect the guy but it does not mean he should be the public face of the Watch.

No, but neither would I like to see ANY of Apple's presenters in the past on TV commercials selling the watch. Tech keynotes do not equal commercials.  Well done, your follow-up comment and logic is even more asinine. Why are the "mistakes" that trolls always comment on  always the most irrelevant ones? Do you think a SINGLE person is going to make their purchasing decision based on his presentation? The stuff you focus on is absurd. 

• Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

But what you suggest begs for the diversity to be legitimate, and naturally sprung. For it to mean anything it needs to have evolved naturally of its own accord.

Forced diversity, or in this case the rabid Internet #trend called faux-feminism has nothing to do with that. Its just a buzz word, a talking about...one that public figures have to answer "correctly" or be lambasted. Any sort of forcibly diversifying roles that people fill unnaturally is a strike against freedom and honestly. It goes against all of the positive aspects of diversity that you mention.

What about qualified people who get overlooked because they aren't white?

**** them right?  You are calling the shots!

• Reply 60 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

you must really hate women to be so bitter.

Dude, its a SHOW. It is Marketing.  If having a women on the stage helps marketing so be it.

All I'm saying is having more diverse presenters will help marketing.

To be 100% honest I did ask a similiar question the last few years. Why are all the Apple presenters look the same?  White, male, 30's-50's.

You think Apple RANDOMLY chooses the presenters??! They're the damn team leads for the product they are showing off, and have intimate knowledge of that product/service. Or did you not notice that the past few decades? So basically your vision is for Apple to choose random attractive people to demo the products that they had no hand in developing? Gotcha. Your perception of "marketing" is so empty and flawed.