Tim Cook hints Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts could take stage today at WWDC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
In an interview about the need for diversity in the tech industry, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook hinted that women will be prominently featured onstage at today's WWDC keynote, which could mean the highly anticipated on-stage debut of retail chief Angela Ahrendts.

Ahrendts
Photo credit: The Times UK

Ahrendts is no stranger to the spotlight, from her time as CEO of Burberry, and even in regular videos shown to Apple Store employees around the world. But in her tenure at Apple, she has yet to take a publicly visible role, despite expectations that she would.

That could change today, Cook hinted in an interview with Mashable, conducted on the eve of his company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. Cook was asked about the lack of women onstage at WWDC keynotes, and the CEO replied that critics should keep a close eye on today's keynote, which starts at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

"Look tomorrow and let me know what you think," Cook said. "I totally agree with you. You'll see a change tomorrow."

Ahrendts is the senior most female executive among Apple's leadership, though the company's top brass remains dominated by white males. The other vice-president-level women at the company are Environmental Initiatives head Lisa Jackson, and Worldwide Human Resources chief Denis Young Smith.

Cook said that diversity is "the future" of Apple, which is why it has become such an important issue to him. The onus, he said, is on the entire tech industry to make the entire community more welcoming and open to women and minorities.

Increased diversity in tech will lead to better products, Cook said, with people from different backgrounds bringing a range of ideas to the table.

Apple's own efforts are said to include talks with young women and historically black colleges, encouraging students to pursue degrees in technology. He's also looking to have more role models at Apple for women and minorities -- a trend that's expected to begin in earnest today with the WWDC keynote.

AppleInsider will be there live at the Moscone Center all week for WWDC, including today's keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Yes because Angela Ahrendts is the only woman that works at Apple. :rolleyes: She wasn't on stage back in March, why on earth would she be on stage today? If we see women on stage today I fully expect it to be people we're not familiar with, people who work in Apple's engineering or marketing organizations.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member

Writer failed to point out that she's a Methodist - Christian. Which, Christianity isn't popular in the tech community these days. 

Cheers to diversity. 

• Reply 3 of 76
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    He's also looking to have more role models at Apple for women and minorities -- a trend that's expected to begin in earnest today with the WWDC keynote.

Due to the way the paragraph breaks, I read this as fashion runway models the first time, considering Ahrendts and the focus on fashion as of late. ;-)
  • Reply 4 of 76
    sog35 wrote: »
    I hope so.

I'd rather see Ahrendts up there than that guy who looks like a total nerd who did the watch demo last time.  I think his name is Lynch.

If the Watch is about style why are they putting a nerd looking dweb Kevin Lynch on the stage?

This is a developer conference. The time to put Ahrendts on stage was back in March. She would have no clue about native SDK for the Watch. Perhaps Craig Federighi will be the one discussing it today.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I hope so.

I'd rather see Ahrendts up there than that guy who looks like a total nerd who did the watch demo last time.  I think his name is Lynch.

If the Watch is about style why are they putting a nerd looking dweb Kevin Lynch on the stage?

It's funny how you often manage to make such terrible posts on this forum. Holding so much stock, and being such a proclaimed Apple fan, you should have realized by now that Apple actually puts the leads of the product development teams up on stage, not some random joe blow with "style". That's why Federhigi does OSX/iOS, and thats why Kevin Lynch did the Watch demo, because he was head of software development for that platform. What a nasty comment. These "nerd looking dweebs" are the people who are creating your favorite products" so try to have an ounce of respect.  

• Reply 6 of 76
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Good move to no longer let this be men only shows!
  • Reply 7 of 76
    What about Katie Cotton???!!!
  • Reply 8 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What about Katie Cotton???!!!

Gone fishin'.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    I don't care what Apple has done in the past.

It was  a mistake putting Lynch on stage to show off the Watch in March.  They need to put someone with style and carisma to show the watch.

I'm sorry but Peter Lynch is not a good front man to sell a watch that is about style.

Would you like to see Lynch on TV commericals selling the Apple watch? hell no.  I respect the guy but it does not mean he should be the public face of the Watch.

I thought Tim Cook was the public face of the Watch?
  • Reply 10 of 76
    peterjh3peterjh3 Posts: 15member
    I'm over this woman and her less-than-stellar efforts to "enhance the shopping experience" for Apple Watch's launch via the Apple Store online which resulted in ridiculous wait times and thus my plummeting interest and enthusiasm about Apple Watch.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    apple1991apple1991 Posts: 35member

Would be great to finally see Angela Ahrendts up there talking about retail stores

• Reply 12 of 76
    apple1991 wrote: »
    Would be great to finally see Angela Ahrendts up there talking about retail stores

Not at a developer conference.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    What's the female version of a black mock turtleneck, 501's, and grey New Balance sneaks?
  • Reply 14 of 76
    What's the female version of a black mock turtleneck, 501's, and grey New Balance sneaks?

Veronica from Archie Comics?
  • Reply 15 of 76
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I respect the guy but.

A phrasing almost immediately followed by disrespect, as you illustrate here.

It's a developer conference.

DEVELOPER CONFERENCE.

Not an infomercial. Developers don't want to hear from a pretty face who has no real clue, they want to hear from someone who knows the difference between GCC and LLVM. Apple events like this are not for Joe Blow, they're for people who want details.

• Reply 16 of 76
    peterjh3 wrote: »
    I'm over this woman and her less-than-stellar efforts to "enhance the shopping experience" for Apple Watch's launch via the Apple Store online which resulted in ridiculous wait times and thus my plummeting interest and enthusiasm about Apple Watch.

I miss the name badges. It's nice to know who you're talking to.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Betty from Archie Comics?

Can Betty afford New Balance and Levi's?

• Reply 18 of 76
    I don't care what Apple has done in the past.

It was  a mistake putting Lynch on stage to show off the Watch in March.  They need to put someone with style and carisma to show the watch.

I'm sorry but Peter Lynch is not a good front man to sell a watch that is about style.

Would you like to see Lynch on TV commericals selling the Apple watch? hell no.  I respect the guy but it does not mean he should be the public face of the Watch.

Kevin Lynch, not Peter. And he did an excellent job. You might want to watch something else.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    . Developers don't want to hear from a pretty face who has no real clue, they want to hear from someone who knows the difference between GCC and LLVM. Apple events like this are not for Joe Blow, they're for people who want details.

Yes and no. Developers don't, but the keynote is outward facing. Excerpts will be widely broadcast and posted. This is Apple's mid-year big event.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yes because Angela Ahrendts is the only woman that works at Apple. :rolleyes: She wasn't on stage back in March, why on earth would she be on stage today? If we see women on stage today I fully expect it to be people we're not familiar with, people who work in Apple's engineering or marketing organizations.

Well, we have Phill Shiller on stage. What does he have to do with engineering? We've had the guy who used to run Apple stores, somehow, I forgot his name for the moment. I'm sure you remember him. He was on stage as well. So why shouldn't the person who not only runs the huge Apple Stores, but the Web site as well, on stage?

You're saying that she has nothing to do with marketing, or the direction in which Apple retail is going? That would be strange, after all, if not for her experience in running Burberry, why would she have been hired?