Apple Music streams songs on-demand, features 24/7 'Beats 1' station, on iOS & Android for $10/month

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2015
Featuring on-demand content, curated playlists, and a new global always-on radio station dubbed "Beats One," Apple Music is a subscription service that aims to redefine how people discover and listen to music for $9.99 a month, or $14.99 for six family members. It launches on June 30 for Apple devices and Windows, but will also come to Android and Apple TV this fall.

Pitching it as a "revolutionary music service," Apple executive Jimmy Iovine said at WWDC 2015 on Monday that the new Apple Music will change the way users listen to content and interact with artists. A key component is human-curated playlists, which Iovine said offer much better quality than any algorithm could ever attempt.

Part of Apple Music is a 24/7 global radio station that is the brainchild of Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor. Featuring DJs broadcasting from three cities, "Beats One" will stream from within the Apple Music app, and will be available to listen for free, even without an Apple Music subscription.

There's also a social component within Apple Music, allowing fans to connect with artists. Dubbed "Connect," it allows artists to upload whatever they please to share with fans.

The new iOS Music app has a tab dubbed "For You," suggesting content to users based on the music they listen to. These are recommendations made by real people at Apple who love music.

There's also a "New" tab that shows new albums and artists, as well as top charts. Again, content is human curated by genre or activity.

Taking the stage at Monday's event was rapper Drake, who said the Connect feature hits at a perfect time for him as he works on his next album.

When using the Apple Music app, content is displayed in two panes: An "All" tab, where the artist's entire library on iTunes is available, and "My Music," where locally stored and owned content is displayed.

Users can also make and share their own curated playlists, while others can be viewed in the "For You" tab. There, Apple employees, artists, and regular users can have their playlists spotlighted.

iTunes chief Eddy Cue also showed how Siri integration can allow users to make specific requests, like to play "that song from 'Selma,'" or to play the top song from a specific date.

Apple Music will launch with iOS 8.4 and a new version of iTunes for Mac on June 30. The streaming service will also come to Android this fall, as well as a new version of iTunes for Windows.

For single users, Apple Music will cost $9.99 per month, while up to six family members can share an account for $14.99 per month. Apple will also be offering the service with a free three-month trial to start.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 220

I don't hear anything about offline listening which is a big reason I pay for Spotify.

• Reply 2 of 220
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    $14.99 for a family plan, up to 6 users, is a nice move.
  • Reply 3 of 220
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This makes the Beats acquisition look like a bargin.

100 million subscribers is 12 billion in revenue.  

If I was Sirrus/XM I'd be terrified.  Its only a matter of time before Music has many more stations.

If I'm Sony, BMI and more I'm shitting my self.
  • Reply 4 of 220
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Apple Music was the most boring part.

Beats-1 is such a BS.

And Connect? Do Twitter/Facebook already provide a way for artists to reach fans (and not just Apple consumers)? This is going to end up like Ping.

• Reply 5 of 220
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member

Same $9.99 monthly fee as Tidal, except Tidal is giving it to you in higher resolution.

• Reply 6 of 220
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member

While this might appeal to lots of people, the WWDC seems like a really odd place to parade famous and industry specific people across the stage regarding something that is mostly or entirely irrelevant to them (in their work), except of course for those in the audience it may actually end up putting out of business.

• Reply 7 of 220
    What about those of us who are existing Beats Subscribers who signed up thru AT&T way back when? They failed to address what they were going to do with the current Beats Subscriber base.
  • Reply 8 of 220
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

The whole time I was listening to them talking about this being the "one" music ecosystem to take over all others, I knew Apple had to make an Android app, there is really no other choice if they want it to be universally used.  I believe this is the first time Apple has developed a mobile app for another platform.

• Reply 9 of 220
    budshonda wrote: »
    What about those of us who are existing Beats Subscribers who signed up thru AT&T way back when? They failed to address what they were going to do with the current Beats Subscriber base.
    I thought I'd read elsewhere that they'd automatically be rolled into Apple Music. That was before today's official reveal tho and I haven't seen anything from Apple themselves yet.
  • Reply 10 of 220
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    This makes the Beats acquisition look like a bargin.

100 million subscribers is 12 billion in revenue.  

If I was Sirrus/XM I'd be terrified.  Its only a matter of time before Music has many more stations.

I still doubt they'll get 100 million people to sign up and stay paying.

("revolutionary music service" A key component is human-curated playlists, which Iovine said offer much better quality than any algorithm could ever attempt)

Um, Google Play Music does this with the Songza integration.

I'll use the free trial but doubt I'll switch over.
  • Reply 11 of 220
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

$14.99 for a family plan, up to 6 users, is a nice move.

Damn straight. This is what I commented on yesterday - that Spotify wants $4.99 for each additional family member. $14.99 is a bargain and I'll be signing up our family as soon as it launches.

• Reply 12 of 220
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Spotify and the others now look like the technological equivalent of MP3 players before the iPod.

Bye bye! Apple eat your lunch now!
  • Reply 13 of 220
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

$10 a month was not terribly compelling when their competition had free versions.

But $15 for up to 6 family members?

Now, that's interesting....

• Reply 14 of 220
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Same $9.99 monthly fee as Tidal, except Tidal is giving it to you in higher resolution.

Uhh...no.  It's $20 for higher resolution.

• Reply 15 of 220
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    will my 1 yr beats music contract auto transfer?

will i get credit for the 3 free months or will i pay for that via my beat's music contract.

would have been nice to have some answers....
  • Reply 16 of 220
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

I was unaware that people were clamouring for higher resolution audio. Is this kind of like silly companies that claim their screens are better than retina? If the eye can't discern the quality past a certain point, then who cares?

Further, most internet providers have a data cap. How does higher resolution audio effect the caps of these providers?

• Reply 17 of 220
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    ("revolutionary music service" A key component is human-curated playlists, which Iovine said offer much better quality than any algorithm could ever attempt)

Um, Google Play Music does this with the Songza integration. .
    Correct. Lovine used the same line back in 2013 before Beats became a part of Apple. To be fair he didn't say Google or anyone else didn't use human curation. I'm sure he doesn't mind leaving the impression from his comment that no one else does tho. ;)
  • Reply 18 of 220
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    ok.  Lets say they get 25 million this year.  50 million next year.

That is already close to $10 billion in revenue in less than 2 years.

Beats was only $3 billion.  With a 10% profit margin they will recoup the cost of the acquisition in less than 4 years.  Then add in Beats hardware sales and its probably only 3 years.  

I get it. It looks to be a good product and I'm not say otherwise. I am saying I doubt that it'll get that many people to pay. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 220
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Apple could make this even more attractive by bundling more services. For instance, hard drive storage space.

• Reply 20 of 220
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That music presentation was WAY too long. And didn't seem very focused. Nothing that enticed me to leave Spotify. If I want to listen to BBC Radio 1 I don't have to spend $10 a month, I can stream it from the TuneIn app. Cook is usually good about keeping things moving along but not today.