Apple Music streams songs on-demand, features 24/7 'Beats 1' station, on iOS & Android for $10/month

Comments

• Reply 161 of 220
    fjrestofjresto Posts: 6member

Apple Music will have offline listening. Go to the Apple Music site and you will see the benefits chart for paying customers. Im surprise they didnt mention it verbally during the keynote. 

• Reply 162 of 220

I read up on this and based on the FAQ on Apple's site, Beats music subscribers will be able to transfer their membership to Apple Music online with their current playlist. You dont lose anything. But it will be a choice. You will have the choice not to migrate over to Apple Music but it wouldnt make sense since you will have the same benefits but with the added benefit of the additional music not found on Beats. 

• Reply 163 of 220

Apple really fought hard to bring the subscription to $7.99 but the music labels pushed back and said that was too low. This price point was not Apple's fault. 

• Reply 164 of 220

IM a paying Spotify user and I will definitely be switching over. I have more music on my iTunes Library than I do with my Spotify one. Also I dont need a 3rd party app to listen to music now. My main reason for switching back to iTunes would be to rely less on third party apps and have access to exclusive tracks and albums not available elsewhere. Apple has the biggest music library than anywhere else. 

• Reply 165 of 220
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    wubbus wrote: »
    That implies that they had to acquire Beats to ultimately offer Apple Music.  Not sure that is 100% true.  Certainly helped but Apple already had considerable clout in the music space.

It helped with at least two things. Having a foundation to develop the android app along with the developers. Also it helped by having a large library of human curated content.
  • Reply 166 of 220
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    paxman wrote: »
    Eddy was right on Cue when he talked about the problems of family accounts and sharing accounts. I am in an in-between place and where my iTunes Match library has everything from Hanna Montana to Cuban music Eminem and Radiohead. It is a big mess. The new family ?Music family account sounds great. Not sure about Beats1 but I suspect we will see more channels developing rapidly, with guest artist hosting shows. I also like all the different ways of interacting with the app which suggests it may be a great way to discover new music. I will definitely sign up for the family account and test it for a year.

Agreed. I have said for a long time the Netflix model is best, on log in to a 'family account' it asks 'Whose watching?' and from then on it is like a private account. I hope the new Apple approach is as simple as Netflix.
  • Reply 167 of 220
    Bottom Line:

[SIZE=22px]APPLE EFFING KILLED IT WITH APPLE MUSIC.[/SIZE]

The sheer amount of bitching and moaning both here at AI and on blogs everywhere else pretty much confirms it. You guys can keep your inferior competitors while pretending you have something Apple doesn't.

Went to Pandora today (for example) to see what they offer and got a message saying they are no longer able to operate outside of the US, Australia and New Zealand due to licensing. This is what separates Apple from the rest. They have the market position to make the deals necessary to launch this in, what, 100 countries?

I wonder if deals with Apple has caused some fall out that has negatively effected Pandora et al. I wonder if Apple had offered 'in' only if exclusive?
  • Reply 168 of 220
    crowley wrote: »
    Iovine is a very irritating presenter. STOP SHOUTING.

Eddy Cue was a relief, despite the loudness of his shirt.

I've seen him do far better than that, it was if he was half asleep or on something.
  • Reply 169 of 220
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Please expand on this for me as I guess I don't see it in the way you do. I'm genuinely interested in how this is big.

Simply meaning many new artists on limited budgets might break through. The term 'going viral' isn't exactly what I mean but along those lines. I know many amazingly talented musicians that never got a break. The odds are stacked against anyone unless they have a Simon Cowell behind them.

My analogy for the Apps store is the same thing and now proven. I owned a software company many moons ago and know how hard and costly it was dealing with marketing, packaging and distribution. Today two kids in an attic without a dime can have a best seller on their hands thanks to the playing field leveling effect of the Apple App Store concept. That 30% Apple take is nothing compared to the costs saved. I suspect a similar scheme may be there (I don't know obviously) for artists. Compared to what the record companies took 30% would be a gift! Have you ever read the horror stories of many now famous musicians and how little they ever actually received after being conned by record companies when they were newbies?

Hope that explains what I meant better.
  • Reply 170 of 220
    esaruohoesaruoho Posts: 61member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

I don't hear anything about offline listening which is a big reason I pay for Spotify.

Look deeper.

"Save for Offline Listening" is one of the membership things. http://www.apple.com/music/membership/

• Reply 171 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanReiss View Post

Apparently no music for anyone with an IQ above 95.

Did you miss the "Richard D. James Lp" album cover (Aphex Twin album from 1996) during the presentation?

• Reply 172 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Except I don't think Apple necessarily needed Beats to do Apple Music. Iovine is certainly a big addition tho.

Having Trent Reznor designing parts of Apple Music in addition to Iovine isn't going to be one of the worst things to have under your belt.

• Reply 173 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh and does Apple Music have offline capabilities so I can listen to songs when not connected to wifi or cellular? Details Apple, Details!

Links, Rogifan, Links! http://www.apple.com/music/membership/

"Save for Offline Listening" is for those who buy the Apple Music Membership.

• Reply 174 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

Unsigned artists can get into Apple Music, in a way that breaks down the walls that have been in the industry for so long. I think that's the reference.

How exactly d'you know this? When I signed up as an artist for Apple Music Connect - it demanded to know who I'm managed by and which label I'm signed to. I wrote my address + contact details + name etc. It was the only way to get on with it.

I'm interested in seeing how long it'll take for them to get back to me about whether I could be a presence on Apple Music Connect.

• Reply 175 of 220
    Several people have pointed to Pandora One as being a superior option because it is cheaper. However, Pandora is not an on-demand streaming service in the same vein as Spotify and Apple Music, where you an listen to any song in the catalog at the moment you want to listen to it.

Several things make Apple Music attractive to me as an iOS user, and as music consumer in general:

1. System integration, i.e. Siri accessible. This is a big deal to me.
    2. I like the idea of not having to use multiple apps to listen to and explore music. I tried throwing my lot all-in with Spotify instead of iTunes to accomplish this, and couldn't because there are some significant omissions in Spotify's catalog. So I gave up Spotify and decided to use that $10 a month to buy an album a month from iTunes.
    3. I do care about artists being fairly compensated for their work. There aren't any details yet about artist cuts from Apple Music streaming, but if artists are paid more fairly from Apple, especially new independent artists, then that is an incentive to me to use their service. Spotify has been egregious in their small payouts to smaller artists and labels.

The current Apple Music catalog size appears to be the same as Spotify's, but I expect that Apple will increase it further in a short amount of time, if it succeeds and they are able to convince the remaining holdouts that streaming is a profitable model under their service. Spotify will have a harder time doing that now that Apple is in the game without a free streaming option.

I know a lot of people, including myself, were hoping that this new streaming service will somehow make the music industry as profitable as it once was. But I'm not sure if that will ever be possible. The rules have changed. The culture has changed. The twentieth century isn't coming back. It does seem now that recorded music is what drives ticket sales for live shows, whereas it used to be the other way around in the 50's through the early 90's. But still, anything that promotes careers in the arts is a good thing in my book. Maybe, with time, Apple will be able to make Apple Music so ubiquitous and profitable for artists that that will happen.
  • Reply 176 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It was funny when Jimmy Iovine announced the 3 parts and started the first with 'revolutionary music service'. Someone in the audience laughed because they must have thought he was doing it like Steve's iPhone launch that had 3 parts but Iovine didn't get what they were laughing at.

Hmm.. I was watching the Keynote and it seemed to me that he was mildly bemused that the slide was already showing on the screen when he said it. I didn't get the "hang on, didn't Steve do a revolutionary  3 part slide" -thing at all. Maybe Iovine was so busy 8 years ago that he never watched the iPhone Stevenote.

• Reply 177 of 220
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phils View Post

I didn't like when Lovine showed ...

I'm not trying to pick on you, because others have done it too. His name isn't Lovine, it is an 'I' (capital i) - Iovine.

• Reply 178 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanimal View Post

Several people have pointed to Pandora One as being a superior option because it is cheaper. However, Pandora is not an on-demand streaming service in the same vein as Spotify and Apple Music, where you an listen to any song in the catalog at the moment you want to listen to it.

Several things make Apple Music attractive to me as an iOS user, and as music consumer in general:

1. System integration, i.e. Siri accessible. This is a big deal to me.

2. I like the idea of not having to use multiple apps to listen to and explore music. I tried throwing my lot all-in with Spotify instead of iTunes to accomplish this, and couldn't because there are some significant omissions in Spotify's catalog. So I gave up Spotify and decided to use that $10 a month to buy an album a month from iTunes.

3. I do care about artists being fairly compensated for their work. There aren't any details yet about artist cuts from Apple Music streaming, but if artists are paid more fairly from Apple, especially new independent artists, then that is an incentive to me to use their service. Spotify has been egregious in their small payouts to smaller artists and labels.

The current Apple Music catalog size appears to be the same as Spotify's, but I expect that Apple will increase it further in a short amount of time, if it succeeds and they are able to convince the remaining holdouts that streaming is a profitable model under their service. Spotify will have a harder time doing that now that Apple is in the game without a free streaming option.

I know a lot of people, including myself, were hoping that this new streaming service will somehow make the music industry as profitable as it once was. But I'm not sure if that will ever be possible. The rules have changed. The culture has changed. The twentieth century isn't coming back. It does seem now that recorded music is what drives ticket sales for live shows, whereas it used to be the other way around in the 50's through the early 90's. But still, anything that promotes careers in the arts is a good thing in my book. Maybe, with time, Apple will be able to make Apple Music so ubiquitous and profitable for artists that that will happen.

Siri integration isn't that big of a deal to me.  My daily driver is an HTC One M9 so it doesn't mean much unless Apple creates a crippled in App version to just do the music functions which I doubt they would do.  Although it will be nice to use on my iPad.  But I am excited for Apple Music.  Currently a subscriber to Play Music Unlimited.  But definitely trying out Apple Music.  Especially with Apple's bigger clout in the music industry.  They will probably have the largest catalog by next year.  I do agree with you on point 2.  I really like the idea of one universal music app that can access your local files and the streaming service.  I hope the Apple Music Android app has this capability.  And I agree with your point 3.  I do care about artist as well which is why my streaming service of choice has been Google's service as it has been documented they pay artists more than Spotify and others.  But I am really excited to give Apple Music a go.  Looks very nice.

• Reply 179 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

No, you're not. I'm all for quality DJ stuffs too.

Ditto, I'm all pumped up for Beats One.  Although, if they added Gilles Peterson -- well.. Then that'd be it. Must have.

Man I wish John Peel still lived.

• Reply 180 of 220
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I think the killer feature is ability to download songs and playlist for offline listening
    Seems would help those w data limits
    Dj sounds cool as bringing some old school listening
    Family plan also attractive
    Would love iTunes Match payers to get a discount or grandfather in