Continuity over cellular will allow remote answering of phone calls, texts in iOS 9

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Apple is reportedly plannning to untether some of its Continuity features in iOS 9, working with mobile network operators to forward calls and text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad over the cell network.

This feature is already available to T-Mobile subscribers running the iOS 9 beta, according to The Verge. Removing Wi-Fi from the equation would allow users to take calls and send or receive SMS messages on their iPad, for instance, if they forgot their iPhone at home.

There is no word on what, exactly, carriers need to do to enable Continuity to run over their networks. It's also unclear whether carriers will charge extra for this functionality, as some do for Visual Voicemail or tethering.

Continuity, a suite of features designed to make for a smoother experience when using multiple Apple devices, was introduced in iOS 8. In addition to phone call and SMS capabilities, Continuity also encompasses Handoff --?which allows users to start a task on one device and continue it on another --?as well as smaller features, like the ability to automatically connect to an iPhone or iPad's personal hotspot.

Continuity has been widely praised since its release, and competitors have begun to follow Apple's lead. Samsung introduced its Flow competitor last November, while Microsoft will add similar features to Windows 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Removing Wi-Fi from the equation would allow users to take calls and send or receive SMS messages on their iPad, for instance, if they forgot their iPhone at home.

Does anyone forget their phone these days? Once, years ago, I forgot my phone. When I told a coworker, they gasped in disbelief.

• Reply 2 of 31
    I think a better feature (at least for T-Mobile users) is "wifi calling on other devices". Scenario: my house has bad cell reception, I use wifi calling to remedy, but I also want to answer incoming calls from my Mac or iPad. This is not possible in iOS 8 but works like a charm now!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Does anyone forget their phone these days? Once, years ago, I forgot my phone. When I told a coworker, they gasped in disbelief.

Just a context, man. I can see this works very well for people who have 2 iPhones (personal and work). They now can just forward all sms and calls to work phone instead of only calls as before. I saw many of my coworkers with 2 iPhones. They'll be thrilled for this.

• Reply 4 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

It doesn't have to be for when a phone is forgotten.  I love answering/making phone calls from my iMac.  Even though I have speakerphone, it's just nicer to not have to fiddle with my phone.

The only problem I have with it is if my call requires me to hit a dial-number (like automated menus), I can't do that on my iMac.. that I know of.

• Reply 5 of 31
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Wow Tmobile is first on this. Very good for them
  • Reply 6 of 31
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:

Not just for forgotten phones.  Perhaps dead, damaged, or otherwise temporarily unavailable phones?

• Reply 7 of 31

This will be welcome.  I want to be able to do EVERYTHING from any device and not have to worry about what is happening in the background...This change will just make things more seamless.  Thumbs UPPPPPP!!!!

• Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

Not just for forgotten phones.  Perhaps dead, damaged, or otherwise temporarily unavailable phones?

I thought Continuity only works for active phone? If the phone is dead, does it continue to forward sms or calls to whatever Apple devices connected to the network at that point with Apple ID because the first device didn't receive anything to trigger "Continuity". If this works with phone powered off or out of signal coverage, it would be so great because: we never miss a phone call or sms again ever.

According to Apple "You can use your iPad or Mac to make and receive phone calls through your iPhone." If your phone is dead, you're doomed.

• Reply 9 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Removing Wi-Fi from the equation would allow users to take calls and send or receive SMS messages on their iPad, for instance, if they forgot their iPhone at home.

How does this remove wifi from the equation again? I can already make/recieve calls/texts on my Mac & iPad. What am I missing? 

• Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

How does this remove wifi from the equation again? I can already make/recieve calls/texts on my Mac & iPad. What am I missing? 

They should put "remove WiFi Only", means not only work with WiFi, but also Cell. Every device needs to be connected to network for Continuity to work. AI sometimes sounds dumb with context.

• Reply 11 of 31
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

I leave my phone in my car often.  It's a hassle to leave my apartment to walk to the parking lot just to retrieve my phone.  In fact, a lot of times I don't even remember I left the phone at some other place and I miss some important phone calls.

• Reply 12 of 31
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

I don't get it either. How can my calls be forwarded from my phone to my Mac over the cell network, considering that my Mac doesn't have a cellular modem (neither does my iPad).

• Reply 13 of 31
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Meh, we used to have Phone Amego on our Macs years ago at the studio. In the end everyone just went back to picking up their phone - it was fun to see people running around to find their headphones when they realized it was not plugged in thou.

Good thing iOS finally has a way to text from a 2nd device (even webOS had it) - talk about a "welcome to 2012" IT moment... Not sure who forgets their phone these days o.O

• Reply 14 of 31
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    chabig wrote: »

I don't get it either. How can my calls be forwarded from my phone to my Mac over the cell network, considering that my Mac doesn't have a cellular modem (neither does my iPad).
    When you forget your phone at home, it is connected to a) your cell network b) your home Wi-Fi.
    On the other end, your iPad/Mac is with you at work connected to your work 's Wi-Fi network.

Your phone rings at home and through the magic of continuity and the internet, your iPad/Mac at work ring as well.

Before you needed to be on the same Wi-Fi network.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

When you forget your phone at home, it is connected to a) your cell network b) your home Wi-Fi.

On the other end, your iPad/Mac is with you at work connected to your work 's Wi-Fi network.

Your phone rings at home and through the magic of continuity and the internet, your iPad/Mac at work ring as well.

Wow. That is FM!

• Reply 16 of 31
    It isn't really "Continuity over Cellular," but Continuity over WAN.

Currently, Continuity only works if your Mac is on the same wi-fi network as your phone. What's being added is the ability to use it across the entire internet.

The reason the carriers have to be involved is because they have to turn on Wi-Fi Calling %u2013 the phone you left at home will use your home wi-fi to connect with your Mac at work.

If it were truly "Continuity over Cellular," your Mac or iPad would need a cellular modem to use it. The cellular network is not being used any more than with Continuity as it currently exists.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    uxqatomuxqatom Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The only problem I have with it is if my call requires me to hit a dial-number (like automated menus), I can't do that on my iMac.. that I know of.

With your phone call highlighted / clicked on as the active window -- just press the number keys on your keyboard :)

I was disappointed / unaware at first, myself. But one day I was just like... well..... let me try this out *presses number key* <number tone is heard and phone tree is advanced> Me: "Holy crap! It worked!!!"

Now, I want to make the joke that the Phone Tree system responded, "I'm sorry, but I didn't understand "Holy Crap! It worked!!!" -- Please choose from the following options." But, you get the idea. Just remember, the trick is that the phone call has to be the active window to get it to work.  Because I tried doing it while I was full screen in Safari a different time and was confused why it wasn't working.

• Reply 18 of 31
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Just type the number. It works. 

• Reply 19 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    chabig wrote: »

the interwebs, man.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

the interwebs, man.

I see a future where cellular voice plans are deprecated and everything becomes data. The cellular carriers just become mobile network operators.